ADVERTISEMENT

UF Will NOT Schedule Home and Home with UCF....

To be fair uf doesn't play any home & home series with anyone outside FSU nonconference. Bunch of fcs & neutral site games with some G5 sprinkled in 1 & done. Think they'd play at OSU? USC? ND? Never happen. Rarely a nonconference game on the road, almost always in Florida.

That isnt just a UF thing at this point. Neutral field games have become a much bigger thing than home and homes, and they do of course play FSU on the road every other year. And yes, that is in the state of Florida but not sure why that really matters.

The reality, is that college sports are about money. So the power programs arent going to potentially miss out on dollars to essentially do a favor to a non power 5 school. I think UCF should work out a 2 for 1 with UF. It is one home game in Orlando and 3 high profile games overall. I get some of you guys dont think thats fair, but it is just reality that the non power 5 programs, have to pay their dues. FSU did it, Miami did it, etc etc. And honestly, I dont see it as a bad thing. Opening the year with a win in the swamp would almost immediately push UCF into playoff discussion early. Where as this year and last year wins over UConn and SC state and Florida international dont do that. IN short, I wouldnt look at it as not being fair, I would look at it as an opportunity to get your name in the playoff discussion right out of the gate.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluechip12
Danny White putting it all out there for the college football media to witness first hand!

Brilliant!!

If they didn’t like us before, they really love us now!!

:cool2:[cheers][roll]

Boise St took that approach years ago too, and turned down a 2 for 1 series with Nebraska and kept claiming no one would play them. And it didnt help Boise st getting into any championship games. It might not be fair, but the reality is that nobody owes UCF (or any other program anything). If Florida (or whoever) offers a 2 for 1, they should take it. If you turn these types of games down then the narrative isnt "nobody will play us", the narrative has shifted to nobody will play you on your terms.

And look, I am a Gator fan, but I have nothing against UCF what so ever, the CFB post season is terrible, and I would love to see something changed so teams like yours do get a chance to compete in the playoffs when you have the types of seasons you have had. But, I see this just the opposite as you, because again, it goes from nobody will play us, to nobody will play us on our terms, and those are two very different things. Regardless, maybe they can at least work out a neutral site game, but I would still try to work out 3 games over 1 neutral site game.

Boise St took that approach years ago too, and turned down a 2 for 1 series with Nebraska and kept claiming no one would play them. And it didnt help Boise st getting into any championship games. It might not be fair, but the reality is that nobody owes UCF (or any other program anything). If Florida (or whoever) offers a 2 for 1, they should take it. If you turn these types of games down then the narrative isnt "nobody will play us", the narrative has shifted to nobody will play you on your terms.

And look, I am a Gator fan, but I have nothing against UCF what so ever, the CFB post season is terrible, and I would love to see something changed so teams like yours do get a chance to compete in the playoffs when you have the types of seasons you have had. But, I see this just the opposite as you, because again, it goes from nobody will play us, to nobody will play us on our terms, and those are two very different things. Regardless, maybe they can at least work out a neutral site game, but I would still try to work out 3 games over 1 neutral site game.
Fair post, but It’s a complicated argument, because both sides are being a bit arrogant and won’t budge

Danny White sees UCF as equal or superior to
UF and Stricklin sees UCF as inferior

Additionally, a lot of potential revenue is at stake, depending on the deal made.

Stricklin kind of has the upper hand, because we SORT of need to play UF more than they need to play us. Question is, how good really are the Gators to do a 2 for 1? What do we gain with a win?

I can see a 2 for 1 with a Clemson, Alabama or Georgia even

The UCF vs UF series just isn’t a good idea and DW needs to shop around more. Both parities are too far apart.

As a UCF fan, if we can’t get any buyers, then do ONE of these:

2 for 1
1 and done
Neutral site game.

We are fine for 2019. Home with Stanford and at Pittsburgh is good enough for now

Last edited:
Fair post, but It’s a complicated argument, because both sides are being a bit arrogant and won’t budge

Danny White sees UCF as equal or superior to
UF and Stricklin sees UCF as inferior

Additionally, a lot of potential swing in revenue is at stake. Stricklin clearly has the upper hand, because we SORT of need to play UF more than they need to play us Question is, how good really are the Gators to do a 2 for 1?

I can see that with a Clemson or Georgia even

The UCF vs UF series just isn’t a good idea and DW needs to shop around more

As a UCF fan, if we can’t get any buyers, then do ONE of these:

2 for 1
1 and done
Neutral site game.

We are fine for 2019. Home with Stanford and at Pittsburgh is good enough for now

It is complicated I agree. But I dont know that it is really arrogance more than it is money. I think as fans we often times forget that major college sports is driven by money as much as it is driven by anything.

ANd yes, you do need Florida more than they need you, which is why I think UCF should at least be willing to work on that. I honestly think it would be in their best interest.

When you say how good is Florida, that isnt a good argument IMO. They just got a new coach and had their best season in quite sometime. My guess is UF will be back to being a perenial top 10-15 team with a few years. But also, UCF has had two great years, but it is impossible to know how good they will be going forward. My point, I wouldnt look at it in that regard. The reality is it would probably be at least 2-3 years down the road, and it is impossible to predict how good either team will be if/when it happens.

And I would go for any of those scenarios. I just think UCF, Boise a few years ago etc, have to realize they arent in position to make demands in these situations. When offered these games, take them and then maybe down the road they can make more demands. That is how Bowden built FSU.

It is complicated I agree. But I dont know that it is really arrogance more than it is money. I think as fans we often times forget that major college sports is driven by money as much as it is driven by anything.

ANd yes, you do need Florida more than they need you, which is why I think UCF should at least be willing to work on that. I honestly think it would be in their best interest.

When you say how good is Florida, that isnt a good argument IMO. They just got a new coach and had their best season in quite sometime. My guess is UF will be back to being a perenial top 10-15 team with a few years. But also, UCF has had two great years, but it is impossible to know how good they will be going forward. My point, I wouldnt look at it in that regard. The reality is it would probably be at least 2-3 years down the road, and it is impossible to predict how good either team will be if/when it happens.

And I would go for any of those scenarios. I just think UCF, Boise a few years ago etc, have to realize they arent in position to make demands in these situations. When offered these games, take them and then maybe down the road they can make more demands. That is how Bowden built FSU.
It wasn’t a slight to UF at alll and it IS more about money than arrogance.

I’m just saying that we continue to roll the dice with the a Pittsburghs, Louisvilles, Georgia Techs, NCs, and Stanfords. Now they are anywhere from below average to middle of the road to OK P5 schools

If we are going to do a 2 for 1, although never a guarantee 3-4 years down the road, we would like a much more sure bet that the team is near the very top. Otherwise, we will be hearing the same argument after making a 2 for 1 commitment. “Well the Gators were 9-3 and only 15th.” Just an example

Wishful thinking I guess trying to guess who’s going to be good or getting a perennial power to play us. There are so few

All of these arguments sound like UCF has to catch lightening in a bottle as it’s all a moot point if we lose just 1-3 games.

Let’s face it. A P5 invite is probably the only answer.

It wasn’t a slight to UF at alll and it IS more about money than arrogance.

I’m just saying that we continue to roll the dice with the a Pittsburghs, Louisvilles, Georgia Techs, NCs, and Stanfords. Now they are anywhere from below average to middle of the road to OK P5 schools

If we are going to do a 2 for 1, although never a guarantee 3-4 years down the road, we would like a much more sure bet that the team is near the very top. Otherwise, we will be hearing the same argument after making a 2 for 1 commitment.

Wishful thinking I guess

I get your point I just dont think you can guarantee that at all. Sure, Alabama is likely goint to be a top tier team as long as Saban is there, but they would be the only sure thing IMO. You never know when a coach will take an NFL job, or leave for another school, etc, so you can never really know what will happen going forward. For example, USC with Carroll looked like they would be a top 5 team for years down the road, but they got in trouble, he left, and they havent been the same since.

But their is also the flip side argument. There is no guarentee you guys will be at the level you are now either. If you guys come out next year and go 12-0 or 11-1, I am sure Heupel is going to have some major programs come calling, and who knows if he would leave, and who knows if his replacement could keep the program running at the same level. I hope he wouldnt leave, but again, it is the reality of major college sports that money talks. But my point, is if you guys fall off, then it isnt really a great game for a top tier program either down the road. So I dont blame them for setting up a situation where they would know it would be financially beneficial to them.

But my point, is if you guys fall off, then it isnt really a great game for a top tier program either down the road. So I dont blame them for setting up a situation where they would know it would be financially beneficial to them.
This!! This is where it gets complicated. The opposing AD’s see this differently

All of these arguments sound like UCF has to catch lightening in a bottle as it’s all a moot point if we lose just 1-3 games.

Let’s face it. A P5 invite is probably the only answer.

I dont necessarily think it is lightning in a bottle, I do think you guys can sustain most of this level of this success (obviously you arent going unbeaten every year, nobody is), but the major programs with the most money will always have the leverage with regards to scheduling games and what not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi
I dont necessarily think it is lightning in a bottle, I do think you guys can sustain most of this level of this success (obviously you arent going unbeaten every year, nobody is).
Lightening in a bottle being good; AND getting 1-2 high quality P5 teams to play us; AND on our terms or even a 2 for 1

Lightening in a bottle being good; AND getting 1-2 high quality P5 teams to play us; AND on our terms or even a 2 for 1

I got ya.

But let me just also say, have fun with ya have now. You guys have had a great run, and there is also a completely different argument that going to major bowl games consistently, is better and more fun than scheduling top tier programs every year, and making it tougher to get to major bowls.

I got ya.

But let me just also say, have fun with ya have now. You guys have had a great run, and there is also a completely different argument that going to major bowl games consistently, is better and more fun than scheduling top tier programs every year, and making it tougher to get to major bowls.
I know right! I was constantly saying all year that I wanted spend the holidays and New Year our west in Arizona and California.

I got my wish.

How many people want to bet if we schedule a 2-1 with UF that if we go up to Gainesville and beat them they're cancelling the return game in Orlando? It'll be just like Penn State and they'll want to back out or change the terms of the deal. If we did a 1-1-1 it would most certainly be at UF first, nuetral site second and depending on how those go maybe they come here. I honestly can't see the day the Gators step foot on our campus to play us in football.

Reactions: Psycho Jim
Let's clear up this bullcrap right now. Even if UF claims to be open to a 2-1, that really means 2 in the swamp and 1 in the Citrus Bowl. We've been trying to work a deal with Miami for a while as well and they say the same thing - that the return game must be in the Citrus Bowl.

So now we need to put ourselves at a double disadvantage? I don't think so. Just because the invitational system is broken does not mean we have to take the financial hit.

Reactions: Psycho Jim
Let's clear up this bullcrap right now. Even if UF claims to be open to a 2-1, that really means 2 in the swamp and 1 in the Citrus Bowl. We've been trying to work a deal with Miami for a while as well and they say the same thing - that the return game must be in the Citrus Bowl.

So now we need to put ourselves at a double disadvantage? I don't think so. Just because the invitational system is broken does not mean we have to take the financial hit.
We shouldn’t have a problem going to Miami. We can get as many fans there as they would. Their fans don’t show up. Our home game should be at our home, not the Citrus Bowl. These demands just make these teams look scared . . . which they are

Last edited:

Miami already came here to play so not sure why they wouldn't again? Could be a different AD who doesn't want to do it but at least they did a 1-1 with us and didn't back out.

Danny White is 1000% correct! We aren’t going anywhere, win or lose against LSU, we still have a shot at another great season next year. UCF doesn’t do 2 for 1. Only 1 for 1 or nuetrals, love it. And anytime anyone attacts us our program and fan base needs to fire right back at them. UCF isn’t a G5 program. We are a middle of the pack major program playing in a G5 conference (boy I hate that term G5). However, our play on the field has been that of a Top 10 program. UCF should start promoting itself as a major program.

Don't mind if we keep filling up on "P5" cupcakes.

SoS is a bogus metric. For us to have a SoS strong enough to get into the CFI we'd have to schedule Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State because we would need them to offset our in conference SoS.

And the CFI teams are still selected by a committee. We still wouldn't get in.

Our best approach is the path we're already sort of on. Keep winning. Keep building a fan base. Keep building facilities. Keep making money. Build a reputation thats better than the majoriry of "P5" teams and it will all pay off.

How many people want to bet if we schedule a 2-1 with UF that if we go up to Gainesville and beat them they're cancelling the return game in Orlando? It'll be just like Penn State and they'll want to back out or change the terms of the deal. If we did a 1-1-1 it would most certainly be at UF first, nuetral site second and depending on how those go maybe they come here. I honestly can't see the day the Gators step foot on our campus to play us in football.
This!

That isnt just a UF thing at this point. Neutral field games have become a much bigger thing than home and homes, and they do of course play FSU on the road every other year. And yes, that is in the state of Florida but not sure why that really matters.

The reality, is that college sports are about money. So the power programs arent going to potentially miss out on dollars to essentially do a favor to a non power 5 school. I think UCF should work out a 2 for 1 with UF. It is one home game in Orlando and 3 high profile games overall. I get some of you guys dont think thats fair, but it is just reality that the non power 5 programs, have to pay their dues. FSU did it, Miami did it, etc etc. And honestly, I dont see it as a bad thing. Opening the year with a win in the swamp would almost immediately push UCF into playoff discussion early. Where as this year and last year wins over UConn and SC state and Florida international dont do that. IN short, I wouldnt look at it as not being fair, I would look at it as an opportunity to get your name in the playoff discussion right out of the gate.
UCF has already done their share of 2'fers. We're beyond that and will only consider 1 for 1's, or fair options for both parties. See my earlier post, if Virginia Tech was willing to do a 2 for 2 series w/ODU, it's good enough for UF. The UF and UCF series would be great for the fans and the local economies. If they they don't want to agree to an equitable agreement for both schools, we'll move on. At least there is a digital footprint showing the world we tried to make this happen.

That was a different time with like 30-40 independents (like FSU, VT, PSU, Miami, Louisville, etc.), so you could schedule...and on decent terms.

(Heck even ECU was in their prime and could schedule...maybe that is why they keep getting 1:1-3:3 with VT, UNC and NC St...I digress.)

ESPiN has ruined football since it’s peak in the 80s/90s/maybe early 00s. Coincidentally, when these teams were up in commers. That was part of the excitement of the new guys knocking off the old guard. ESPiN forgot what made them and is just holding onto their gold while murdering the golden goose.

Reactions: OtterKnight
Besides, UCF would get little to no credit for beating UF or Miami or similar this year. Same in future years. They would become toxic and drop like a rock in the rankings or the talking heads would just say “well you beat one but could you beat two or three.” It’s a no-win and UCF will be locked out.

Going to a committee assured that the Boise’s and UCF’s will be locked out.

Last edited:
How did it help Boise St they beat VT and UGA and still did not get them anything more then a NY6 bowl game. ESPN even said we could play 4 P5 teams win them all and still not be top 4 by the P5 invitational. Not a real playoff system like the rest of the entire world has. This is a made for TV event for ratings and money. The rest is BS. So why play some super tough schedule because we are not going to be invited to the playoff anyway as long as it is a 4 team playoff and not 8 or 16. 16 team would be a real playoff

ESPN even said we could play 4 P5 teams win them all and still not be top 4 by the P5 invitational.

That's the thing that scares me. We would have to be undefeated with a schedule like that and we’d still only get the 4th seed, at best. We need a new system.

Thats called a stupid mindset. UF needs to play us 1 for 2 if they want to get their respect back. Were the best in Florida and Florida is best football in country. 13 good ole boys in a closet cant change that

Reactions: SwagCentral
Thats called a stupid mindset. UF needs to play us 1 for 2 if they want to get their respect back. Were the best in Florida and Florida is best football in country. 13 good ole boys in a closet cant change that
Come on. That’s just not happening. They don’t see it that way Even if it’s true

They have the upper hand and they know it

Cub, I would likely do a 2-1 with AL, or Oh state, but UF is no longer on that level. You are closer to S Carolina/NC/Stanford/Auburn, and I would not give them a 2 for 1 either.

Cub, I would likely do a 2-1 with AL, or Oh state, but UF is no longer on that level. You are closer to S Carolina/NC/Stanford/Auburn, and I would not give them a 2 for 1 either.
Not exactly, but I get your point. We discussed this

UF is not NC or even South Carolina right now
With Mullen especially. I expect them to be good

This just isn't realistic. Respect for UF has absolutely nothing to do with UCF.

UF has a new coach and is in a new years 6 bowl in his first year, you realize that right?

And you think UNC and Florida are on the same level? UNC was 2-9. Florida was 9-3 and playing in the Peach Bowl. These programs are not at the same level by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited:
UCF has already done their share of 2'fers. We're beyond that and will only consider 1 for 1's, or fair options for both parties. See my earlier post, if Virginia Tech was willing to do a 2 for 2 series w/ODU, it's good enough for UF. The UF and UCF series would be great for the fans and the local economies. If they they don't want to agree to an equitable agreement for both schools, we'll move on. At least there is a digital footprint showing the world we tried to make this happen.

You can obviously consider what you want, and more power to you. But, that doesn't mean other schools owe you anything just because you have a hardline on what you will consider.

And VT and ODU has nothing to do with Florida or UCF.

Just face it, UF does not want to play UCF this year or any other year. They are just blowing smoke with a 2 for 1 because, they know we won't agree to that.:sunglasses:
^^^^^
This

UF AD was reacting to the fact that UF and UCF are not playing in the Peach Bowl. Did he have anything to do with it? Well it makes no sense to leave the match up of UF/UCF in either the Peach Bowl or the Fiesta Bowl, but that aside, UF knew that there was no way DW was going to agree to a 2 for 1. It was a calculated and arrogant move that was used to shift the discussion away from UF AD's position on the committee and it worked. There was never a risk.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I would obviously love to play Florida, FSU or Miami. I think our best chance is scheduling a one-off neutral site game. I 100% agree with DW on no 2 for 1s, but if I'm a team like Florida, I also would not schedule a home and home with UCF. I do not think they are scared, I just don't think they gain anything from it.

Our program is on the rise, and when we eventually get a P5 invite there is no reason we can't be a perennial top-10 team. However, UF can probably get a home and home with just about any team in the country they want. It does not make sense to them to schedule it with UCF when they could potentially get the same deal from an OU, USC, Ohio St etc.

I know we were the best team in the state the last two years, but it is a fact that we are still miles behind teams like UF and FSU in terms of program prestige. We should not agree to a 2 for 1 with anyone, but I also can't blame top-tier programs for not wanting a 1 for 1 with us. They are looking out for their own interests the same way we are.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The reality, is that college sports are about money. So the power programs arent going to potentially miss out on dollars to essentially do a favor to a non power 5 school. I get some of you guys dont think thats fair, but it is just reality that the non power 5 programs, have to pay their dues.

I'm sorry, but this is garbage. We've been playing these money games for 20+ years. The only difference now is we're whipping P5 asses when we play them. Teams are SCARED of getting embarrassed now. Miss out on millions of dollars? GTFOH with that. Replace a FCS team with us. Problem solved.

All excuses and ducking us.

Pay our dues? Good lord. We've been doing that since day freaking 1. These "blue bloods" are just gutless cowards at this point.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
I'm sorry, but this is garbage. We've been playing these money games for 20+ years. The only difference now is we're whipping P5 asses when we play them. Teams are SCARED of getting embarrassed now. Miss out on millions of dollars? GTFOH with that. Replace a FCS team with us. Problem solved.

All excuses and ducking us.

Pay our dues? Good lord. We've been doing that since day freaking 1. These "blue bloods" are just gutless cowards at this point.

There is nothing garbage about it. You can either complain nobody will play you on your terms, and then be left out due to strength of schedule, or you can take what other teams offer you and potentially have a shot at getting in the playoff. Other teams don't owe you anything, and the power 5 programs don't need you. And again, I get that college football isn't fair, so I understand a lot of the argument you guys makes. But, college football is what it is. Making it about other teams and calling them cowards, does nothing to help your program make a playoff run. That is just a fact. Playing them, and beating them on their own fields does help you make a playoff run.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT