ADVERTISEMENT

Wal Mart paying people more, extending benefits thanks to Tax Law

muj6o2-b781194098z.120131011174535000g2j1g7rqk.1.jpg

these used to be people

Reactions: ucflee
Hey, guys! Wal-Mart spent $400 Million of their $18 Billion tax cut to give their average employee $200. This is amazing! Great economy! Trickle-down works!

and.....

"Almost 100 American corporations have trumpeted such plans in the past month. American companies have announced more than $178 billion in planned buybacks — the largest amount unveiled in a single quarter, according to Birinyi Associates, a market research firm.

Such purchases reduce a company’s total number of outstanding shares, giving each remaining share a slightly bigger piece of the profit pie.

Cisco said this month that in response to the tax package, it would bring back to the United States $67 billion of overseas cash, using $25 billion to finance additional share repurchases. Alphabet, the parent company of Google, authorized up to $8.6 billion in stock purchases. PepsiCo announced a fresh $15 billion in planned buybacks. Chip gear maker Applied Materials disclosed plans for a $6 billion program to buy shares. Late last month, home improvement retailer Lowe’s unveiled plans for $5 billion in purchases."

"More buybacks are almost certainly on the way. UBS analysts covering Apple said the iPhone maker might authorize another $30 billion in share purchases when it reports its next quarterly earnings in April. That would be on top of the $30 billion it already spends each year to buy back its shares."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/business/tax-cuts-share-buybacks-corporate.html

Q2 buy back numbers. What a great tax cut this was for American workers.

What’s wrong snowflake? This is great news for anyone who owns stock or a 401K.

The economy is on fire. You’d be better off if you stopped trying to find something to be miserable about purely for the sake of partisan bloodsport

The economy is on fire. You’d be better off if you stopped trying to find something to be miserable about purely for the sake of partisan bloodsport

Lolwut

This part of your statement is correct. Without the buybacks our 0% growth 2018 would be deep in the negative. However much you think you have in stocks, I assure you, it's not very much. The winners in this tax cut are people with millions and billions in stocks, not the middle class making 50k or 100k or 150k per year. Thats what I've been saying this whole time. We're going deeper into debt so the ultra rich can break even while normal jobs stagnate.

This part of your statement is correct. Without the buybacks our 0% growth 2018 would be deep in the negative. However much you think you have in stocks, I assure you, it's not very much. The winners in this tax cut are people with millions and billions in stocks, not the middle class making 50k or 100k or 150k per year. Thats what I've been saying this whole time. We're going deeper into debt so the ultra rich can break even while normal jobs stagnate.

I read the article you linked to. There is so much context that you and Fake News CNN deliberately don't share.

Of that $426B in buy backs, just about $200B is from Apple and a small handful of banks that could finally do buybacks BECAUSE they passed stress testing and were barred until they passed those. $100B alone is from Apple - a company crying about Chinese tariffs because they would be "forced" to pass costs onto consumers. They've been sitting on a mountain of cash since the Obama days yet I don't recall you crying about their buybacks or corporate activity then?

You're also hilariously inconsistent. You claim that no one will benefit from tax cuts since the market is flat YTD, then in the next breath claim that those evil rich people are making huge sums of money .......in a flat market? You can't have it both ways. You can't tell me that people with 401Ks are getting no benefit but rich people, owning the same stocks, are showering in new cash. Very lazy.

I read the article you linked to. There is so much context that you and Fake News CNN deliberately don't share.

Of that $426B in buy backs, just about $200B is from Apple and a small handful of banks that could finally do buybacks BECAUSE they passed stress testing and were barred until they passed those. $100B alone is from Apple - a company crying about Chinese tariffs because they would be "forced" to pass costs onto consumers. They've been sitting on a mountain of cash since the Obama days yet I don't recall you crying about their buybacks or corporate activity then?

You're also hilariously inconsistent. You claim that no one will benefit from tax cuts since the market is flat YTD, then in the next breath claim that those evil rich people are making huge sums of money .......in a flat market? You can't have it both ways. You can't tell me that people with 401Ks are getting no benefit but rich people, owning the same stocks, are showering in new cash. Very lazy.
Take out the 200 (for no reason whatsoever) and it's still the most buybacks ever beating a record set in Q1 2018

Take out the 200 (for no reason whatsoever) and it's still the most buybacks ever beating a record set in Q1 2018

While you're obsessing over what buybacks the largest corporations in the world are doing, small and medium sized businesses in this country continue investing. The Durable Goods/Factory Order metrics have all been trending much more positive since last year and the May report was better than economists had even thought. Even despite the predicted auto slowdown due to gas prices.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/us-factory-orders-unexpectedly-rebound-in-may-20180703-00509

While you're obsessing over what buybacks the largest corporations in the world are doing, small and medium sized businesses in this country continue investing. The Durable Goods/Factory Order metrics have all been trending much more positive since last year and the May report was better than economists had even thought. Even despite the predicted auto slowdown due to gas prices.

https://www.nasdaq.com/article/us-factory-orders-unexpectedly-rebound-in-may-20180703-00509
That's great.

Reactions: UCFKnight85
Stock buybacks are usually awful ways to deploy capital.

Never met a ceo/cfo that doesn’t think their stock is undervalued

You goofy bitch, he's linked an article from the very liberal wall street journal.

Right. You're getting your selective articles spoon fed from hard left progressive pundits. It's a great glimpse into why you are how you are.

Right. You're getting your selective articles spoon fed from hard left progressive pundits. It's a great glimpse into why you are how you are.
WTF are you talking about 85?!?!?!!!111 dont you know he voted for a republican in a primary!!!11!!111*

I do enjoy every single day wayne and 85 proving they can in fact, actually be dumber than we previously thought.

Hey, guys! Wal-Mart spent $400 Million of their $18 Billion tax cut to give their average employee $200. This is amazing! Great economy! Trickle-down works!

and.....

"Almost 100 American corporations have trumpeted such plans in the past month. American companies have announced more than $178 billion in planned buybacks — the largest amount unveiled in a single quarter, according to Birinyi Associates, a market research firm.

Such purchases reduce a company’s total number of outstanding shares, giving each remaining share a slightly bigger piece of the profit pie.

Cisco said this month that in response to the tax package, it would bring back to the United States $67 billion of overseas cash, using $25 billion to finance additional share repurchases. Alphabet, the parent company of Google, authorized up to $8.6 billion in stock purchases. PepsiCo announced a fresh $15 billion in planned buybacks. Chip gear maker Applied Materials disclosed plans for a $6 billion program to buy shares. Late last month, home improvement retailer Lowe’s unveiled plans for $5 billion in purchases."

"More buybacks are almost certainly on the way. UBS analysts covering Apple said the iPhone maker might authorize another $30 billion in share purchases when it reports its next quarterly earnings in April. That would be on top of the $30 billion it already spends each year to buy back its shares."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/business/tax-cuts-share-buybacks-corporate.html
Actually, I do agree with Chemmie on some of this. They should have put additional restrictions on some things, and made tax rates higher if they used certain monies for other purposes.

At the same time, the tax code did do some of this too. And Chemmie won't give Trump and Republicans credit for that. But I agree with him, it didn't go far enough in some areas.

ADVERTISEMENT