ADVERTISEMENT

Another school shooting

Correlation does not imply causation. 25 people getting wounded by gunfire could’ve easily been 25 people killed but for luck and aim.
There are plenty of data points to use over the decade ban and the 17 years since. “Could have easily been” never was, until now.

There are plenty of data points to use over the decade ban and the 17 years since. “Could have easily been” never was, until now.
Ok, I’ll leave it at that. So besides guns, is there nothing else we can do? Nothing else to talk about?

Ok, I’ll leave it at that. So besides guns, is there nothing else we can do? Nothing else to talk about?
One easy thing that most people would agree on is a federal law to raise the legal age for purchase of long guns to match that of hand guns at 21. 18 is too young. It’s one step that won’t solve every instance, but incremental steps are the only thing possible at this point.

One easy thing that most people would agree on is a federal law to raise the legal age for purchase of long guns to match that of hand guns at 21. 18 is too young. It’s one step that won’t solve every instance, but incremental steps are the only thing possible at this point.
That seems like a no-brainer.

I think there are other things we can talk about, as long as we arent excluding the guns, which is what a lot of these NRA talking points do. Most everything else isnt unique to America, yet other countries dont have this issue to nearly the degree we do. The thing that is unique to America, is the guns.

I think there are other things we can talk about, as long as we arent excluding the guns, which is what a lot of these NRA talking points do. Most everything else isnt unique to America, yet other countries dont have this issue to nearly the degree we do. The thing that is unique to America, is the guns.
So what are some of those other things, in your opinion?

Ok. But the most devastating single shooter incidents (prior to Vegas) were the Luby’s restaurant massacre in Texas and the Virginia Tech shootings. Both used pistols. Simply taking some ARs off the streets isn’t going to do it.
It's sure as hell a damn good start.

You still haven't told us why any Joe Blow beyond vetted law enforcement officers needs AR-15s.

Unfukcing real. That is all I can say. These idiots should be arrested for impersonating police officers.

It's sure as hell a damn good start.

You still haven't told us why any Joe Blow beyond vetted law enforcement officers needs AR-15s.

Participation Awards = Kids not taught how to cope with defeat

Video Game Counsels (imbalance) = Reset Buttons, careless decision making has no consequences

Violent Movie / Music Culture = Glorifies Violence, mistreatment of women, drugs, disrespect for authority, etc.

Extreme Violent games = Desensitized behavior / emotions.

Uber-Litigious and Sensitive Society: Anyone who observes a red flag dare not do anything which may offend someone's child.

...I'd start here.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Just my 2 cents about the video games,

People are completely dismissing this. When you are shooting everyone (children) in the face/head and telling a teacher “goodnight,” there’s definitely an element of desensitized, unemotional behavior. These 18 year-olds are not just killers, they are inhuman. Add that to everything else

The livestream video from the Buffalo shooter looked exactly like a video game.

So…, I wouldn’t dismiss that so easily

Unfukcing real. That is all I can say. These idiots should be arrested for impersonating police officers.

It's absolutely maddening seeing the details of the incompetence of the police officers involved. Need to clean house of each of these people and hopefully they're not given the opportunity to work in law enforcement again. Don't mess with Texas my ass.

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
They come from the US.
The US is a border neighbor.
the US manufactures and sells the vast majority of guns in the region.
Guns can be acquired via legal mechanisms easily in the United States.
You can literally cross a land border by car from US to Mexico without any inspection or even a passport check.
Mexico has no significant gun manufacturing operations.

Where are you suggesting their guns are coming from?
Obama thru fast and furious.

Just my 2 cents about the video games,

People are completely dismissing this. When you are shooting everyone (children) in the face/head and telling a teacher “goodnight,” there’s definitely an element of desensitized, unemotional behavior. These 18 year-olds are not just killers, they are inhuman. Add that to everything else

The livestream video from the Buffalo shooter looked exactly like a video game.

So…, I wouldn’t dismiss that so easily
I used to think this was utter bullshit. We used to hear similar stuff when I was growing up about cartoons. More specifically, that watching Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry was going to turn us all into little murderers and desensitize us into thinking that hurting people was AOK. All over freaking cartoons. Same with rap music.

Maybe these games are different. Maybe for someone who is mentally screwed up, playing these games and living out fantasies via mock shootings and the like is doing more damage than we know. I don't know. I really don't play a video game and then think about capping someone's ass or making someone's head I don't like into a moon roof. I also don't use these games as a basis to practice shooting up schools and killing innocent children.

I used to think this was utter bullshit. We used to hear similar stuff when I was growing up about cartoons. More specifically, that watching Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry was going to turn us all into little murderers and desensitize us into thinking that hurting people was AOK. All over freaking cartoons. Same with rap music.

Maybe these games are different. Maybe for someone who is mentally screwed up, playing these games and living out fantasies via mock shootings and the like is doing more damage than we know. I don't know. I really don't play a video game and then think about capping someone's ass or making someone's head I don't like into a moon roof. I also don't use these games as a basis to practice shooting up schools and killing innocent children.
It’s multifactorial

Violent video games + mental instability/illness = blowing kids heads off

They play these games in Japan all the time, but America is a violent country. I can’t believe that we are a more violent than some Middle Eastern countries. Not by a lot, but we are. That’s sad

We used to hear similar stuff when I was growing up about cartoons. More specifically, that watching Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry was going to turn us all into little murderers and desensitize us into thinking that hurting people was AOK. All over freaking cartoons. Same with rap music
Have you seen these games? Maybe, Tom and Jerry could have caused little Johnny to beat up his little brother.

However, these games now are unbelievably realistic. It probably wouldn’t make a person commit mass murder, but the methods and manner used now are nearly carbon copies

Have you seen these games? Maybe, Tom and Jerry could have caused little Johnny to beat up his little brother.

However, these games now are unbelievably realistic. It probably wouldn’t make a person commit mass murder, but the methods and manner used now are nearly carbon copies
I have. That’s why I said when I play…

All countries have video games.
All countries have psychopaths.
One country allows someone to buy a bunch of tools designed for mass killing on their 18th birthday.

It’s not a complicated equation.

Reactions: UCFCray
One country allows someone to buy a bunch of tools designed for mass killing on their 18th birthday.

But according to the NRA, mental health problems are unique to this country.

Reactions: UCFCray
Well… the video game has been and will continue to be a topic of conversation. It can’t completely be disproven that it’s not a CONTRIBUTING factor

Participation Awards = Kids not taught how to cope with defeat

Video Game Counsels (imbalance) = Reset Buttons, careless decision making has no consequences

Violent Movie / Music Culture = Glorifies Violence, mistreatment of women, drugs, disrespect for authority, etc.

Uber-Litigious and Sensitive Society: Anyone who observes a red flag dare not do anything which may offend someone's child.

...I'd start here.
Lol you are a godamn moron.

Europe and Japan have all of those things as well.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Lol you are a godamn moron.

Europe and Japan have all of those things as well.
Yeah.., but we have the most of ALL THE OTHER FACTORS involved in mass shootings. Like crazy, violent 18 year-olds that can easily get military-style weapons

If you’re talking about rifles, many European countries allow purchase and carry after a background check at 18. Some as early as 16. Of course, their cultures are much different than ours. But culture can’t be a problem, right? It must be the guns.

I came across a Rand corporation study that was pretty comprehensive for gun topics. They found little evidence that minimum age requirements had an effect on mass shootings. Or much of anything else other than suicide. Which would be a perfectly fine reason to raise the age by itself.

There’s a lot of interesting aspects to the study so clicking around would be edifying.

I came across a Rand corporation study that was pretty comprehensive for gun topics. They found little evidence that minimum age requirements had an effect on mass shootings. Or much of anything else other than suicide. Which would be a perfectly fine reason to raise the age by itself.

There’s a lot of interesting aspects to the study so clicking around would be edifying.

They actually found that an 18 year minimum had an undetermined effect whereas a 21 year minimum had a net positive effect when controlling for “political factors”.

“They found uncertain effects of laws setting 18 as the minimum age of purchase on the probability of a mass shooting event occurring, but they found a suggestive effect consistent with laws setting 21 as the minimum age of purchase reducing the likelihood of a mass shooting occurrence in models that included controls for political factors.”

These past 2 shootings were 18 year olds with no adult history of “red flags”. A 21 year age would at least allow 3 years as a legal adult off which to determine if “red flags” exist. It’s not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.

Planes are used to destroy lives and buildings, they need to be eliminated.
Guns are used to destroy lives and shoot people they need to be eliminated.
Cars are used to destroy lives and run down people they need to be eliminated.
alcohol is used to destroy lives and wreck cars it needs to be eliminated.
people use all the above to destroy lives and property they need to be eliminated.

people use all the above to destroy lives and property they need to be eliminated.
You have the brain of an infant. Stop embarrassing yourself.

They actually found that an 18 year minimum had an undetermined effect whereas a 21 year minimum had a net positive effect when controlling for “political factors”.

“They found uncertain effects of laws setting 18 as the minimum age of purchase on the probability of a mass shooting event occurring, but they found a suggestive effect consistent with laws setting 21 as the minimum age of purchase reducing the likelihood of a mass shooting occurrence in models that included controls for political factors.”

These past 2 shootings were 18 year olds with no adult history of “red flags”. A 21 year age would at least allow 3 years as a legal adult off which to determine if “red flags” exist. It’s not perfect, but it is a step in the right direction.
Like I said, I’m in favor of an older restriction for purchase. I think it’s up to the states, though, and I think that we need to be careful about possession restrictions. There are Alaskan teens whose families need them to hunt in order for survival. A federal restriction on possession would get in the way of that.

^^^^^^^
Another moron who needs to leave the WC

• Love
Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
Like I said, I’m in favor of an older restriction for purchase. I think it’s up to the states, though, and I think that we need to be careful about possession restrictions. There are Alaskan teens whose families need them to hunt in order for survival. A federal restriction on possession would get in the way of that.
Isn’t there already a federal law of 18 and a federal law of 21 for handguns? I don’t think it has to be a state law, though that doesn’t hurt.

Isn’t there already a federal law of 18 and a federal law of 21 for handguns? I don’t think it has to be a state law, though that doesn’t hurt.
Yes. It’s on the purchase, not the possession. I was more speaking to raising it to 21 federally.

Show me a store in the country where you can buy a gun without a state-issued ID and maybe that cartoon would be funny.
Oh FFS, Really? Seriously? In 39 states you can buy at gun shows or online without a background check and with no proof of ID.

And don't come back at me with "it's a private sale." Please save yourself the time.

I'm still LMAO at the cartoon.

Oh FFS, Really? Seriously? In 39 states you can buy at gun shows or online without a background check and with no proof of ID.

And don't come back at me with "it's a private sale." Please save yourself the time.

I'm still LMAO at the cartoon.
Lmao at you thinking facts will change the mind of that inbred traitorous cult member you are "debating" with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT