ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to staff you want to see

Knightgatorz

Three-Star Recruit
Nov 25, 2023
Like a staph infection, this group of defensive “coaches” is slowly killing us. Yes, I borrowed the term staph to describe the defensive coaches from another board. Sue me. Addison lmao shouldve been fired last year, but somehow got a promotion. Well we have seen how god awful he’s been. His dbs have regressed every single year. He rivals Austin Armstrong for worst dc at a p5 school. He cannot come back. Lbs and defensive line was awful. I have no idea wtf David gibbs does, but he’s trash at it. Sims lbs have been atrocious. The dline has regressed. We need to see changes to this defensive group if we want to be serious. Oh btw no one is coming to play for Addison Williams so I don’t think we need to worry about losing recruits.

Special teams and tight end play have sucked donkey dick since Blackmon has been here. Where the hell did Pittman go? Wtf happened to boomer? Why the hell was he still trotting out Obarski last year. Wtf happened to McCarthy punting? Dude is the worst position coach we’ve ever had. Rob Sale is getting fired from uf. I’d probably grab him for te coach. Grab the special teams coach from Troy.

If we want to make changes that’s where we start

Like a staph infection, this group of defensive “coaches” is slowly killing us. Yes, I borrowed the term staph to describe the defensive coaches from another board. Sue me. Addison lmao shouldve been fired last year, but somehow got a promotion. Well we have seen how god awful he’s been. His dbs have regressed every single year. He rivals Austin Armstrong for worst dc at a p5 school. He cannot come back. Lbs and defensive line was awful. I have no idea wtf David gibbs does, but he’s trash at it. Sims lbs have been atrocious. The dline has regressed. We need to see changes to this defensive group if we want to be serious. Oh btw no one is coming to play for Addison Williams so I don’t think we need to worry about losing recruits.

Special teams and tight end play have sucked donkey dick since Blackmon has been here. Where the hell did Pittman go? Wtf happened to boomer? Why the hell was he still trotting out Obarski last year. Wtf happened to McCarthy punting? Dude is the worst position coach we’ve ever had. Rob Sale is getting fired from uf. I’d probably grab him for te coach. Grab the special teams coach from Troy.

Now here is a post after my own heart.

I am in agreement with you on most of the defensive staff. UCF needs to hire a P5 staff. Kenny Ingram needs to take an off-the-field position. Ernie Sims needs to go back to Tampa. A-WILL is a running joke. He never deserved to be a position coach, much less a coordinator.

Kenny Martin is probably worthy of keeping. David Gibbs will probably survive this.

What has Grant Heard done to warrant a position on this staff? He signed three transfers, and none of them made any significant impact. Javon Baker got worse under Heard.

Kobi Hudson and Xavier Townsend *may* have improved, but Heard recruited neither.

I am on the fence about Blackmon. The tight end room and kicking and punting room has gotten a lot better under Blackmon. But I don't like seeing players regress.

Would be a great DC Hire

Tim Allen would be an improvement.

Tim Allen GIF

Tom Allen does run a 4-2-5.

Ot Tom Allen.
Or Gary Patterson.
Or Andy Avalos.
Or DJ Durkin.
Or D'Anton Lynn.
Or Shiel Wood.
Andy Avalos would be a good one and a failed G5 HC so he’s not getting another HC gig anytime soon…but he’s a West Coast guy so idk if the fit is right. Gary Patterson rumored for Houston’s HC gig. I doubt he would come to UCF as a DC. Anyone of these is an upgrade though, so yes to all.

Andy Avalos would be a good one and a failed G5 HC so he’s not getting another HC gig anytime soon…but he’s a West Coast guy so idk if the fit is right. Gary Patterson rumored for Houston’s HC gig. I doubt he would come to UCF as a DC. Anyone of these is an upgrade though, so yes to all.
On second thought, forget ALL those guys.

Hire Jim Leonhard! He is a senior analyst at Illinois. Dude is making $112,500.

He should be coordinating an NFL defense. He turned down uat.

As we draw closer to Jan 3, I am updating the best available DC candidates...

Gary Patterson
DJ Durkin
Alex Grinch
Zack Arnett
Geoff Collins

Last edited:
Reactions: I ABear I
I hope it's not Alex Grinch, especially if the team ends up in a Christmas day bowl.
Grinch is the best portal recruiter of the five: Durkin, the best prep recruiter, highest rated per PFF, and highest paid DC on the list; Collins, a former UCF assistant coach; Patterson, the preeminent coordinator of the 4-2-5; and Arnett, the highly rated by some opinions.

Each one has strengths and weaknesses. Patterson is the only 4-2-5 guy of the bunch. All have no buyouts and are currently unemployed.

Grinch was the highest rated of the five in 2022: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ive-coordinators-in-college-football-in-2022/

Derek Mason at No. 3 is laughable.

Last edited:

Excellent Questions!

Zack Arnett has a "duty to mitigate" clause, which means his defensive coordinator salary will be deducted from buyout. Miss State owes him $1.5 million per year through December 2025. So if UCF gives Arnett (Addison Williams' money) $800k, Arnett l be essentially coaching pro bono.

Patterson is a question mark because you don't know how committed he really is and whether he can adapt to the new reality of college football.

Durkin is the most consistent of the five, but he may land a better gig than UCF before spring football.

Grinch is solid but can he adapt to football in the Southeast and to UCF.

Collins and Patterson are the safest and cheapest picks. Not sure how Collins buyout is structured.

Zack Arnett has a "duty to mitigate" clause, which means his defensive coordinator salary will be deducted from buyout. Miss State owes him $1.5 million per year through December 2025. So if UCF gives Arnett (Addison Williams' money) $800k, Arnett l be essentially coaching pro bono.

Patterson is a question mark because you don't know how committed he really is and whether he can adapt to the new reality of college football.

Durkin is the most consistent of the five, but he may land a better gig than UCF before spring football.

Grinch is solid but can he adapt to football in the Southeast and to UCF.

Collins and Patterson are the safest and cheapest picks. Not sure how Collins buyout is structured.
Didn’t Grinch just coordinate one of the worst defenses in the country in USC?

Pretty impressive for Kam Martin to even be mentioned. Definitely agree with Curtis Looper at No. 2. No sign of Tim Harris Jr. though.

Peering Looking GIF by MOODMAN

If we’re upgrading to a new DC or any other coaches…when should we expect it to happen?

If no changes happen with the DC, then our AD and Gus are 100% not committed to winning. It’s that simple.

If we’re upgrading to a new DC or any other coaches…when should we expect it to happen?
Transfer portal closes Jan. 3. Will see major movement on coaching staffs across the country after that date. It will be Black Wednesday for college football.
If no changes happen with the DC, then our AD and Gus are 100% not committed to winning. It’s that simple.
Gus Malzahn "said" he hired Darin Hinshaw and Addison Williams because he was tired of the revolving door of coordinators (Kinne, Lindsay; TWill). However, the most humane thing Gus could do is fire Addison.
Replace DC, and ST coach.
DC yes. ST, not so much.

Under Brian Blackmon, UCF has went from Daniel Obarski and Andrew Osteen to Colton Boomer and Mitch Macarthy at K and P, respectively; and from Jake Hescock, Alec Holler, and Zack Marsh Wojan to Randy Pittman, Kylan Fox, and Evan Morris.

UCF has come light years personnel wise.

The Knights regressed statistically in most categories with regard to coaching, though. Perhaps the most logical move is to hire an assistant special teams coordinator.

Last edited:
Transfer portal closes Jan. 3. Will see major movement on coaching staffs across the country after that date. It will be Black Wednesday for college football.

Gus Malzahn "said" he hired Darin Hinshaw and Addison Williams because he was tired of the revolving door of coordinators (Kinne, Lindsay; TWill). However, the most humane thing Gus could do is fire Addison.

DC yes. ST, not so much.

Under Brian Blackmon, UCF has went from Daniel Obarski and Andrew Osteen to Colton Boomer and Mitch Macarthy at K and P, respectively; and from Jake Hescock, Alec Holler, and Zack Marsh Wojan to Randy Pittman, Kylan Fox, and Evan Morris.

UCF has come light years personnel wise.

The Knights regressed statistically in most categories with regard to coaching, though. Perhaps the most logical move is to hire an assistant special teams coordinator.
Special teams cost us several ball games with missed chip shot field goals and PATs. Momentum swings caused after long drives with no points are team killers.

Reactions: Robert0122
Special teams cost us several ball games with missed chip shot field goals and PATs. Momentum swings caused after long drives with no points are team killers.
Ultimately, every phase of the team led to losses. Games where defense failed, offense failed, and special teams failed. Just not often in the same game except Kansas.

Gus Malzahn really seems to struggle to get the team to play with any sort of consistency, which resembles his Auburn teams.

Hard to pin it on a single aspect of the team or player. One game a unit that normally under performs is an mvp, look at Boise State, Oklahoma st, ect.

The staff should be on the hook for not having the team perform consistently to their ability.

Reactions: Yaes
I think what bothers me the most is the silly game mismanagement this staff had during the season.

I was watching the NC State / KState game (i think) and the announcers mentioned several times how well-coached the two teams were.

In envy, I thought to myself that they could never make that same claim about UCF in good consciousness.

There is NO reason whatsoever that a team led by coaching "veteran" Gus should've blundered away so many points and time that they had.

You're making millions and we're paying you to watch you make several unforgiveable mistakes....not running a play with 8 seconds left in the half vs. GA Tech comes to mind. Or running out the clock to end the first half with no points against TT (?). etc etc

It's f'ing inexcusable.

Missed FGs and missed extra points are a tiny part of a special teams coach's job. If you are missing those, you need a new kicker, not new coach.

I can excuse some of those because Boomer had expanded kicking duties.

I am far more concerned about UCF's net punting rank (120), kickoff return defense rank (110), 3 blocked kicks allowed rank (tied for 100), and ZERO blocked kicks or punts.

• Wow
Reactions: Robert0122
Missed FGs and missed extra points are a tiny part of a special teams coach's job. If you are missing those, you need a new kicker, not new coach.

I am far more concerned about UCF's net punting rank (120), kickoff return defense rank (110), 3 blocked kicks allowed rank (tied for 100), and ZERO blocked kicks or punts.
All true concerns. I used my examples because they directly lead to points or no points versus indirectly by giving good field position.

Q: Whose fault is it when your kicker has gone cold; everyone feels like he’ll miss the FG/xpt; then he misses the kick…and this happens multiple times in key moments?

A: Coaches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT