ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to staff you want to see

Q: Whose fault is it when your kicker has gone cold; everyone feels like he’ll miss the FG/xpt; then he misses the kick…and this happens multiple times in key moments?

A: Coaches
When Boomer got in a funk, Blackmon should have hooked Colton up with a "slump buster."

Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to drop this here. It is a very interesting take on UCF and Gus Malzahn--interesting as in I don't agree with it. The guy does make some very valid points, though. It is definitely worth a read. Both articles.

Malzahn is calling the plays
"If I had to form an educated guess, I think Malzahn took UCF because it was the best job available that was willing to let him call plays on offense without interference."

Last edited:
As we draw closer to Jan 3, I am updating the best available DC candidates...

Gary Patterson
DJ Durkin
Alex Grinch
Zack Arnett
Geoff Collins
I've seen you mention Patterson in like three other threads. In what universe do you think Malzhan would ever bring in a former HC (with that kind of pedigree) to work on his staff? Forget that Patterson wouldn't want to, or that UCF doesn't have that kind of money for big-name coordinators (obviously).

But you're just trolling at this point. For someone that posts about Gus more than everyone else on here combined, you have to know that the ball coach seems to favor guys on his staff he can trust (who will be 'yes men' and do whatever he wants) over former established HC's who might challenge his usually unorthodox train of thought.

Missed FGs and missed extra points are a tiny part of a special teams coach's job. If you are missing those, you need a new kicker, not new coach.

I can excuse some of those because Boomer had expanded kicking duties.

I am far more concerned about UCF's net punting rank (120), kickoff return defense rank (110), 3 blocked kicks allowed rank (tied for 100), and ZERO blocked kicks or punts.
Don’t most kickers kick off as well? That’s not crazy to add 6 more kicks per game.

Reactions: U C to the F
Think outside the box go get Ed Reed for your DC.
christmas vacation GIF

Sadly this is all for naught. Gus is going to go down with the ship. I don't know if it's pride, optimism, or loyalty. Dude needs to evolve or go extinct.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
So Malzahn is actively looking to upgrade his staff?
No idea yet.

At Auburn, he wouldn't have a choice.

Per footballscoop.com, "The AFCA Convention opens in earnest Sunday in Nashville; it's long been viewed as a job-seeking and job-filling event, though the college football calendar has been greatly accelerated into earlier changes in recent years."

Happy Car GIF

Last edited:
LOL...

Grant Heard is listed as a candidate for Auburn's offensive coordinator job.

Grant Heard
Current position: UCF Wide Receivers Coach

Point of note: Heard has coached 1,000-yard receivers at four of his five FBS coaching stops.

The pitch: Heard is another assistant who was on Freeze’s Ole Miss staff, and he was responsible for the recruitments of AJ Brown, Laquon Treadwell and Van Jefferson — all of whom signed with Ole Miss and went onto NFL careers. Heard was a co-offensive coordinator at Indiana, and he was Freeze’s passing game coordinator at Arkansas State as well.

Epic Fail GIF

LOL...

Grant Heard is listed as a candidate for Auburn's offensive coordinator job.

Grant Heard
Current position: UCF Wide Receivers Coach

Point of note: Heard has coached 1,000-yard receivers at four of his five FBS coaching stops.

The pitch: Heard is another assistant who was on Freeze’s Ole Miss staff, and he was responsible for the recruitments of AJ Brown, Laquon Treadwell and Van Jefferson — all of whom signed with Ole Miss and went onto NFL careers. Heard was a co-offensive coordinator at Indiana, and he was Freeze’s passing game coordinator at Arkansas State as well.

Epic Fail GIF
what is that gif suppose to mean in the context of your post? isn't that move intentional (his celebration) and not even a foul because he didn't release the ball.

what is that gif suppose to mean in the context of your post? isn't that move intentional (his celebration) and not even a foul because he didn't release the ball.
"Epic fail"

I was looking for this gif and couldn't find it.

I normally do not talk about Auburn, but it is so sad to see post-Gus events unfold on the Plain.

The signing of Robby Ashford (who Gus purposely chose not to recruit).

The hiring of co-defensive coordinator Charles Kelly (who Gus passed on TWICE for a coordinator role).

The potential re-hiring of Dameyune Craig (who Gus fired in Year 3 at Auburn).

The mention of Grant FREAKING Heard in the same breathe with the Auburn offensive coordinator position.

It is damn too much to bare.

Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to drop this here. It is a very interesting take on UCF and Gus Malzahn--interesting as in I don't agree with it. The guy does make some very valid points, though. It is definitely worth a read. Both articles.

"If I had to form an educated guess, I think Malzahn took UCF because it was the best job available that was willing to let him call plays on offense without interference."

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you. If the guy is making some very valid points, what is it you don't agree with? I agree a lot more with the first article than the second, but you're right, both are worth a read.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow you. If the guy is making some very valid points, what is it you don't agree with? I agree a lot more that with the first article than the second, but you're right, both are worth a read.
Parts I disagree with....

"Whatever it is you think you’re getting in Malzahn was available on the market at a lower cost and at a younger age."

Lots of successful coaches are over 55.

"Sure seems like you could’ve lured Tony Elliott out of Clemson..."

LOL. Why?

"Does he think he can engineer the third act of his career that ends with one more national title run? That’s not possible at UCF."

I think he can. More importantly he thinks he can. I will add the caveat that the writer said "They’re not in the Power 5."

"...UCF has a decorated veteran of the SEC poised to capitalize on one of the most talented states in the sport at a school aggressively invested in growing football."

I can agree with this part.

"Whatever it is you think you’re getting in Malzahn was available on the market at a lower cost and at a younger age."

LOL. Why?

"Does he think he can engineer the third act of his career that ends with one more national title run? That’s not possible at UCF."

I think he can. More importantly he thinks he can. I will add the caveat that the writer said "They’re not in the Power 5."

"...UCF has a decorated veteran of the SEC poised to capitalize on one of the most talented states in the sport at a school aggressively invested in growing football."

I can agree with this part

LOL. Why?

I can agree with this part.
Thanks for the clarification. Don't agree with you but they say that is what makes the world go round.

those articles are from 2021.

Yes, but relevant as projnosticauons of future success, especially given the changing landscape of UCF.
so why disagree about not being in the power 5 and not being able to win a national championship (playoff version) at UCF when it's based on the writer talking about an AAC program.

Reactions: Yaes
Looks like our DC is safe which seems very risky going into Year 4 …Gus has it made …golf and zero internal pressure of urgency
Yes. Your resident clown Auburn Legacy 1 was hanging around in the free section of the 247 forums trying to bad mouth my good name and begging Leonard to answer his questions.

The clown (Auburn Legacy 1) wanted a certain UCF OL player kicked off the team and wanted Addison Williams fired. He was told NOT to each of them.

Last edited:
Yes. Your resident clown Auburn Legacy 1 was hanging around in the free section of the 247 forums trying to bad mouth my good name and begging Leonard to answer his questions.
You mean when I warned Stephen that you would rehash everything I posted on 247 like you are doing now?

The clown (Auburn Legacy 1) wanted a certain UC OL player kicked off the team
If you are alleging to these people that I have somehow disparaged the good name of 'ain't-played-a-significant-down-in-three-years-at-UCF Patrick Barnett, they certainly won't believe you. I have made it abundantly clear how much I LOVE connoisseurs of the scared bird.

These people have never heard me say Gus was having "tryouts" between Barnett and Dallaz Corbitt for the final Heupel leftovers spot.

I would never post that THREE times before.

... and wanted Addison Williams fired. He was told NOT to each of them.
I do reserve the right to change my mind on that one. This DB class of high schoolers and transfers is special.

You mean when I warned Stephen that you would rehash everything I posted on 247 like you are doing now?

If you are alleging to these people that I have somehow disparaged the good name of 'ain't-played-a-significant-down-in-three-years-at-UCF Patrick Barnett, they certainly won't believe you. I have made it abundantly clear how much I LOVE connoisseurs of the scared bird.

These people have never heard me say Gus was having "tryouts" between Barnett and Dallaz Corbitt for the final Heupel leftovers spot.

I would never post that THREE times before.

I do reserve the right to change my mind on that one. This DB class of high schoolers and transfers is special.
Why are you speaking on my name WEIRDO? Gus Malzahn Soy Boy.

Isn’t the woman they hired in charge of getting girls to show recruits around? She’s just one of many we’ve had the last 8 years. Usually good looking and started out as one of the girls that show recruits around.

Isn’t the woman they hired in charge of getting girls to show recruits around? She’s just one of many we’ve had the last 8 years. Usually good looking and started out as one of the girls that show recruits around.
Gus brought someone from Auburn after he was hired but she left after a year I think. not sure who got hired after that till this new hire

Gus brought someone from Auburn after he was hired but she left after a year I think. not sure who got hired after that till this new hire
Frost and Heupel hired a couple as well. I think the one girl followed Heupel. Not sure. That position does not build teams like SJ wants you to believe.

Frost and Heupel hired a couple as well. I think the one girl followed Heupel. Not sure. That position does not build teams like SJ wants you to believe.
Or it could be a legitimately good hire and not a conspiracy?

She has certainly been around done ELITE softball programs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT