ADVERTISEMENT

Changes to staff you want to see

UCF needs to make a move on the DL coaching side. Cant bring back both of the Kennys.

UCF needs to make a move on the DL coaching side. Cant bring back both of the Kennys.

Correct.

K. Martin, during his time in Orlando, has received a lot of interest from other programs, most recently South Carolina. He is in demand.

K. Ingram...

crickets GIF

If Gus moves Ingram to an off-the-field position (where he belongs), Ingram will eventually leave the program and coach at a mediocre G5 program (where he belongs).

This news means two things; both of which are bad.

No. 1, Ernie Sims will return as LBs Coach. (If anybody azz needed firing, it's his.)

No. 2, Addison Williams will 'Co-Coordinate' the secondary (as opposed to being Coordinator-In-Name-Only).
I agree that Sims is a terrible LB coach. Ted Roof coached the LBs at Oklahoma and he can do the same at UCF.

This news means two things; both of which are bad.

No. 1, Ernie Sims will return as LBs Coach. (If anybody azz needed firing, it's his.)

No. 2, Addison Williams will 'Co-Coordinate' the secondary (as opposed to being Coordinator-In-Name-Only).
I agree with you again AL1. UCF fans should much rather have Gibbs as the DB coach over A Williams.

I agree with you again AL1. UCF fans should much rather have Gibbs as the DB coach over A Williams.
Gibbs was the "real" defensive coordinator. UCF has LEGITIMATELY changed coordinators.

You cannot convince me otherwise. The resumes speak for themselves. One co-coordinator was a defensive coordinator at Auburn, Houston, and Texas Tech as well as a secondary coach in the NFL. The other guy was a coordinator at Tusculum. Come on man!

Furthermore, UCF was consistent in the same categories (pass efficiency defense, passing yards allowed, poor tackling, poor at producing turnovers) all three years Gibbs was in Orlando.

That's not a coincidence.
I agree that Sims is a terrible LB coach. Ted Roof coached the LBs at Oklahoma and he can do the same at UCF.
I can only assume Gus's plan is for Roof to groom Ernie Sims as Gus *hopes* Gibbs groomed Williams. I *hope* Addison learned something. I fear he has not.

The UCF secondary will look very different than it has the last three years.

Gibbs was the "real" defensive coordinator. UCF has LEGITIMATELY changed coordinators.

You cannot convince me otherwise. The resumes speak for themselves. One co-coordinator was a defensive coordinator at Auburn, Houston, and Texas Tech as well as a secondary coach in the NFL. The other guy was a coordinator at Tusculum. Come on man!

Furthermore, UCF was consistent in the same categories (pass efficiency defense, passing yards allowed, poor tackling, poor at producing turnovers) all three years Gibbs was in Orlando.

That's not a coincidence.

I can only assume Gus's plan is for Roof to groom Ernie Sims as Gus *hopes* Gibbs groomed Williams. I *hope* Addison learned something. I fear he has not.

The UCF secondary will look very different than it has the last three years.
You are now spitting facts AL1. A good argument can be made that Gus would have a much better record at UCF if he had the proper resources. Fact is that he’s been made do with cheap hire after cheap hire because UCF doesn’t have the money to hire proper coaches.

You are now spitting facts AL1. A good argument can be made that Gus would have a much better record at UCF if he had the proper resources. Fact is that he’s been made do with cheap hire after cheap hire because UCF doesn’t have the money to hire proper coaches.
You are correct that Gus could hire better coaches if given a larger assistant coaching budget.

For example, I am certain Gus would hire Missouri S&C coach Ryan Russell instead of a former player, who happened to serve as an assistant S&C coach under Russell.

The situation with David Gibbs, however, had nothing to do with money. People do things for two reasons: money or power. Gibbs left because of the latter.

(It wasn't about money because Gibbs made only $450k per year. Addison, meanwhile, made $700k and likely received $50k-$200k extra per year with the recent addition of his 'Associate Head Coach' title. Hiring Ted Roof as Defensive Coordinator likely cost UCF upwards of $900k per year. Fair market value for defensive coordinators in the Big 12 is about $1 million. Roof was scheduled to make $1.15 million in 2024 at Oklahoma. Assuming his buyout was not mitigated by future employment, UCF likely got Roof for a rock-bottom price. Still though, Co-DCs Roof and AWill cost UCF approximately $1.75 million per year whereas co-DCs Gibbs and AWill cost only $1.1 million per year.)

Regarding the power argument, Gibbs (like Gus) had full control of his side of the ball: an understanding among Gus, Gibbs, and both Wills that gave Gibbs full authority with zero responsibility and zero accountability to anyone other than Gus. Gibbs had very few media availabilities during his three years at UCF. When things went south defensively, no fingers were pointed at Gibbs. Only the Williamses (TWill or AWill).

Gibbs was stripped of his coordinating duties. Rather than accept a diminished role under Roof, Gibbs chose to leave. Not for a lack of money, but for a lack of power.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoboCane
Back at the ranch, hiring Healey as a WR coach would be a tremendous failure. You would have to question the motivation of Malzahn.

Back at the ranch, hiring Healey as a WR coach would be a tremendous failure. You would have to question the motivation of Malzahn.
I think you are underestimating one William Livingston Healy. He was the youngest FBS head coach in CFB history at one point.

Most folks don't go from being an FCS WR Coach for three years to being an FCS head coach for three seasons to being an FBS head coach.

He is a rising star in coaching. He would definitely be a far more charismatic recruiter than Grant Heard. Per his Wikipedia page, "His 2016 recruiting class was ranked top 5 in FCS football, followed by the #1 ranked class in 2017 according to 247sports."

Given he hasn't been announced, I am uncertain he is the guy. It makes little sense to not announce him as WR coach.

Perhaps someone else is in the works.

props to gus for lighting a fire. these assistant coaches are going to be on one this spring and summer. "i'm on a short leash you motherf'ers aren't getting me fired next year ... TACKLE."

gus can't do the same thing next year though.

Reactions: tjb74
Birdsong is not happy

Gus needs to be fired in December if all these changes end in 6-7 wins again
tough. they've made it easier than ever to transfer. we can't make coaching decisions based on who people like. we need to make them based on who can coach them up god damnit. i was watching this video investigating the accuracy of recruiting rankings and linebacker is a tough position to evaluate.

Underrated hire. Our injuries and getting pushed around in 2nd half of games this year was apparent. Good upgrade
we'll only know if it's a good hire if we get the strength and durability issues solved. if his philosophy is the same as the previous guy then we'll get similar results.

Well the changes to the staff I wanted to see didn't happen. Not according to Gus's press conference concerning the new staff.

Reactions: LoboCane
And clowns like Stephen Leonard give her a platform. Nerdy dudes that want the athletes to like them instead of just reporting is never good.
he wants to be friends w the players . One of the reasons his JRP reporting was so delusional
I like Stephen. He gets good information. I don't care how he gets it. I appreciate him. He can be a pander bear for all I care.

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C61lvsXvWYwL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_UY1000_.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT