ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching staff

Coach Malzahn is assembling an impressive staff with big time football tenure and legitimate experience... something we sorely missed with the past two coaching staffs. If they can coach up kids like GOL and his staff could... we’ll be back in business.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Coach Malzahn is assembling an impressive staff with big time football tenure and legitimate experience... something we sorely missed with the past two coaching staffs. If they can coach up kids like GOL and his staff could... we’ll be back in business.
I hope our team gets re-evaluated and the depth chart gets shaken up. I rewatched the USF game and cant believe some of the guys on the field were considered our top DBs/LBs available. They were getting shaken out their boots by cow receivers..

I though last years defensive staff had a combined 200 years of coaching experience. Aren't Shannon and Martinez are grandparents? Corey Bell? Being around forever doesn't mean much to me right now.

I hope our team gets re-evaluated and the depth chart gets shaken up. I rewatched the USF game and cant believe some of the guys on the field were considered our top DBs/LBs available. They were getting shaken out their boots by cow receivers..

Point taken on shaking up the depth chat for sure. But not sure if you remember we had SO many injuries and opt-outs going into that game. On both sides of the ball. I think the entire team pretty much mailed it in after the Cinci loss so a lot of younger players got on the field due to injuries and op-outs.

Reactions: Yaes and dr_ligma
What do we know from this point? Defense was horrible last 2 seasons. New DC and Co-DC will get this team going back in the right direction. Co-DC has a great record on take-away defenses. DC is an attacking defense philosophy guy. Expect improvements on this side.

Gus and the offense is still debatable. Not sure after watching some films on youtube on his offense on what we are going to get here yet. It's NOT going back to 3 yards per play and a cloud of dust. How much of a balance between run and pass is the question. I believe we have the offensive players on this team to put together a very productive offense if the scheme is good.

The team is going to be worked hard by new coaching staff. I have a better attitude now then I did coming off of a 6-4 team that looked horrible in the bowl game. I felt almost like I did in 2016 after losing the Care Bowl. To have 2017 results again would be a very pleasant surprise.

Doesn't seem like Hand has the most rave reviews on development, but I'll hold for judgement.

Think we have already spent half the budget on assistant coaches

CoachSalary $ 3,300,000.00%
Travis Williams$ 600,000.00$ 2,700,000.00
82%​
David Gibbs$ 450,000.00$ 2,250,000.00
68%​
Chris Dawson$ 400,000.00$ 1,850,000.00
56%​
Herb Hand$ 300,000.00$ 1,550,000.00 remaining
47%​
$ 1,750,000.00 spent

CoachSalary$ 3,300,000.00%
82%​
68%​
56%​
Herb Hand$ 300,000.00$ 1,550,000.00
47%​
$ 1,750,000.00
Awesome! Was curious about how we were looking. No matter how great Mahlzahn may be, managing the budget will be interesting.

82%​
68%​
56%​
47%​
$ 1,750,000.00 spent
I wonder if strength counts towards the assistant coaches pool? I think it is different.

82%​
68%​
56%​
47%​
$ 1,750,000.00 spent
Keep in mind, no OC needed though which usually gets paid out at a premium. That’s a big savings. Can prob hire a QB coach with passing game coordinator title to help out if needed.

Reactions: Knight Strength
2020 Auburn had 10 on field coaches, so far we have 3.
So I would assume we need to fill 7 positions with $1,550,000.
About $221k per coach to stay in budget

2021 UCF
  1. Def Coordinator Travis Williams
  2. Co-Def Coordinator Chris Dawson
  3. Offensive Line Herb Hand
(Strength and Conditioning Chris Dawson)

2020 Auburn
  1. Associate Head Coach/DL Rodney Garner
  2. Offensive Coordinator/QBs Chad Morris
  3. Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele
  4. Co-Def Coordinator/Linebackers Travis Williams
  5. Co-Off Coordinator/Receivers Kodi Burns
  6. Tight Ends/H-Backs/Special Teams Larry Porter
  7. Offensive Line Jack Bicknell Jr.
  8. Running Backs Carnell Williams
  9. Defensive Backs Wesley McGriff
  10. Outside Linebackers Al Pogue

2020 Auburn had 10 on field coaches, so far we have 3.
So I would assume we need to fill 7 positions with $1,550,000.
About $221k per coach to stay in budget

2021 UCF
  1. Def Coordinator Travis Williams
  2. Co-Def Coordinator Chris Dawson
  3. Offensive Line Herb Hand
(Strength and Conditioning Chris Dawson)

2020 Auburn
  1. Associate Head Coach/DL Rodney Garner
  2. Offensive Coordinator/QBs Chad Morris
  3. Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele
  4. Co-Def Coordinator/Linebackers Travis Williams
  5. Co-Off Coordinator/Receivers Kodi Burns
  6. Tight Ends/H-Backs/Special Teams Larry Porter
  7. Offensive Line Jack Bicknell Jr.
  8. Running Backs Carnell Williams
  9. Defensive Backs Wesley McGriff
  10. Outside Linebackers Al Pogue
Cadillac still there?

Keep in mind, no OC needed though which usually gets paid out at a premium. That’s a big savings. Can prob hire a QB coach with passing game coordinator title to help out if needed.

I assumed the QB coach he mentioned would probably be the pseudo-OC.

Anyone know what Culpepper is up to these days?

Can't imagine Culpepper with the desire to hit the recruiting trail talking to recruits. He barely shows up at UCF events currently.

Blake Bortles would be interesting, don't think the Rams will keep him. But I don't think we have the time to wait and see. He probably thinks he can get another backup contract.

Surprised Gus doesn't have any former players that are available on offense.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I live in Orlando and have no plans to move anywhere, but I think I honestly would never come here for vacation if I was from somewhere else lol.
I usually try to convince them to visit somewhere else if they are considering visiting from June-October . But Croots did like the theme park dinner being part of their visit schedule under Frost

I assumed the QB coach he mentioned would probably be the pseudo-OC.

Can't imagine Culpepper with the desire to hit the recruiting trail talking to recruits. He barely shows up at UCF events currently.

Blake Bortles would be interesting, don't think the Rams will keep him. But I don't think we have the time to wait and see. He probably thinks he can get another backup contract.

Surprised Gus doesn't have any former players that are available on offense.
Bortles would be a terrible coach 😂. He probably just wants to own a dive bar in San Diego

Culpepper lost his house and Restaurant at about the same time. He may need to pay some bills. That’s a motivator to do well. He didn’t really drink much in college so I doubt he’s sitting around getting drunk and high.

I liked our last S&C coach. Our injury rate was really good. This new coach seems like an awesome hire too.

Awesome! Was curious about how we were looking. No matter how great Mahlzahn may be, managing the budget will be interesting.

Option A:
If he goes over budget, he could pay for coaches out of pocket. Might be in Win Now mode with Gabriel.

Option B:
Maybe this is the core coaches that are expensive and the remaining coaches will be cheap, 200k range. Maybe give a chance to a local high school coach to pay it forward the way it happened for him. Maybe some graduate assistants, former players or guys from the FCS ranks.

Option A:
If he goes over budget, he could pay for coaches out of pocket. Might be in Win Now mode with Gabriel.

Option B:
Maybe this is the core coaches that are expensive and the remaining coaches will be cheap, 200k range. Maybe give a chance to a local high school coach to pay it forward the way it happened for him. Maybe some graduate assistants, former players or guys from the FCS ranks.
Get a 5 star by giving his coach a job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT