ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment Thread

None in SEC or B1G want to join Big 12.
Every single member in Big 12 would leave in a heartbeat to join SEC or B1G if invited.

That describes things clearly. Miami, FSU, and Clemson have a seat when they can manage to get out of ACC

You guys can keep stroking your trophy of an asterisk, in the Conference of midgets and misfits.

None in SEC or B1G want to join Big 12.
Every single member in Big 12 would leave in a heartbeat to join SEC or B1G if invited.

That describes things clearly. Miami, FSU, and Clemson have a seat when they can manage to get out of ACC

You guys can keep stroking your trophy of an asterisk, in the Conference of midgets and misfits.
Ohio State is dragging your corpse around. Only midgets lose to Georgia southern. Next time I fly over your state I’ll try not to laugh

Reactions: 250vertical
We're moving towards a big money National Championship playoff with 40-ish programs. THAT is why the SEC took OU and Texas and the B1G took the four top Pac clubs.

The whole point behind the formation of superconferences in the first place was to have a playoff that wouldn't have be be shared with everybody.
We'll see, I don't see that being an easy task.

The whole point of superconferences is to make as much money as possible. Nothing else.

We'll see, I don't see that being an easy task.

The whole point of superconferences is to make as much money as possible. Nothing else.

The only reason the P5 teams made the most money was because that ensured they would be the only teams playing for national championships.

The same arguments of why two super conferences breaking away would never happen is the same arguments people had about P5.

The West Coast just lost their premier conference that sat at the big table for decades, it folded in a matter of days.

Super conference teams are looking at $100 million paydays at the minimum as of now. If they can break away, that number can double.

The only reason the P5 teams made the most money was because that ensured they would be the only teams playing for national championships.

The same arguments of why two super conferences breaking away would never happen is the same arguments people had about P5.

The West Coast just lost their premier conference that sat at the big table for decades, it folded in a matter of days.

Super conference teams are looking at $100 million paydays at the minimum as of now. If they can break away, that number can double.
This certainly seems to be the way things are headed and I don't think it is good for College sports.

Probably true re: fb until proven otherwise but guarantee the Big 2 don’t want to meet our new conference in March!
The top four or five Big 12 football teams will have no problem handling the middle and lower level Big 10 teams - any team not named Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., some years Wisconsin and Iowa (not last year).
The SEC is obviously deeper, but they have a number of 'fake' SEC schools ( K-state beat the crap out of Missouri last year), South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi St., hell, bottom of the conference Kansas took Arkansas to overtimes at a neutral site. Watch what Kansas does to Illinois this September.
UCF has all the ingredients to become a monster.

• Dislike
Reactions: U C to the F
Word on the street is Pac4 is meeting tomorrow with MWC re: merger possibilities, and then alternately with AAC about expansion options. If AAC, who might go... and would they maintain P5 status...

As long as they don't include USF, I'm good with them merging or whatever. The Apple TV deal, if that even stands, is not going to be near what was offered ($23M or something like that) for primarily streaming, even if they were able to cherry pick the best of the MWC and AAC.

With every single day that goes by and every piece of information that comes out, it makes me appreciate the situation we find ourselves in even more.

The top four or five Big 12 football teams will have no problem handling the middle and lower level Big 10 teams - any team not named Ohio St., Michigan, Penn St., some years Wisconsin and Iowa (not last year).
The SEC is obviously deeper, but they have a number of 'fake' SEC schools ( K-state beat the crap out of Missouri last year), South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Mississippi St., hell, bottom of the conference Kansas took Arkansas to overtimes at a neutral site. Watch what Kansas does to Illinois this September.
The top four of the AAC would have little to no problem handling the lower to middle Big10. And I think TCU beat Michigan in the playoffs last year, the top Big10 team…don’t feed in to the national media and dumb casual fan false perceptions of the Big10. And Penn State? Please…

Reactions: PositYourself

WHy does everyone act like Kentucky is horrible? They obviously arent Alabama or Georgia, but in the last 5 years they have won 10 games twice, 8 games once, and have won 4 of their five bowl games over that span (including a win over Penn St and Iowa). Stoops is a good coach and UK is a solid program. And South Carolina beat Tennessee and Clemson last year, so they arent a cakewalk either.

Last edited:
WHy does everyone act like Kentucky is horrible? They obviously arent Alabama or Georgia, but in the last 5 years they have won 10 games twice, 8 games once, and have won 4 of their five bowl games over that span (including a win over Penn St and Iowa). Stoops is a good coach and UK is a solid program. And South Carolina beat Tennessee and Clemson last year, so they arent a cakewalk either.
It’s the casual fan, most ppl don’t actually watch CFB.

Reactions: Cubs79
Yeah, uk and s carolina are both certainly capable of having a bad year here and there, but by and large they are both typically pretty solid teams.
I agree to U C to the F....I would agree UK has had a pretty good team lately and getting better. S. Carolina has had a good teams in the past, but not recently. What's wierd is they recruit pretty well so not sure why that doesn't translate on the field. I don't think the average college football watcher is up-to-date on team progress and accomplishments. Both are solid teams.

I agree to U C to the F....I would agree UK has had a pretty good team lately and getting better. S. Carolina has had a good teams in the past, but not recently. What's wierd is they recruit pretty well so not sure why that doesn't translate on the field. I don't think the average college football watcher is up-to-date on team progress and accomplishments. Both are solid teams.

They made a bad hire with Muschamp after Spurrier left, but Beamer is 7-6 and 8-5 in his two years. And they finished the regular season last year with wins over 2 top 10 teams, so I think Beamer has them back on the right track.

Reactions: U C to the F
They made a bad hire with Muschamp after Spurrier left, but Beamer is 7-6 and 8-5 in his two years. And they finished the regular season last year with wins over 2 top 10 teams, so I think Beamer has them back on the right track.
I've always had a lot of respect for S. Carolina. UCF had many chances in beating them and never capitalized, even at home. Their fans are pretty cool too. I met a few during the UCF home game and they were a blast to tail-gate with.

I've always had a lot of respect for S. Carolina. UCF had many chances in beating them and never capitalized, even at home. Their fans are pretty cool too. I met a few during the UCF home game and they were a blast to tail-gate with.

They had some really good teams under Spurrier, but for whatever reason he was never able to get his style of QB like he did in his Florida days. But it is kind of funny that Clemson is considered such a better program (and I obviously understand why), but it wasnt that long ago that South Carolina owned that series. Going to be interesting to see how much Beamer can close the Clemson-SC gap over the next few years.

Reactions: Yaes
How did Stanford end up being on the outside? I thought some university president would want them as a research partner institution.
Good question....they'll probably go indy until the B1G picks them up. They have a lot of money so they'll be fine until they get the call. Now, as a complete outlier, if Stanford and Cal got the call from the SEC, would they consider the SEC?

Good question....they'll probably go indy until the B1G picks them up. They have a lot of money so they'll be fine until they get the call. Now, as a complete outlier, if Stanford and Cal got the call from the SEC, would they consider the SEC?
It sounds like they are considering a MWC/AAC team up so I would assume they would consider just about anything, especially the SEC 😂. I would guess Stanford goes Indy, OrSt/Wash St goes MWC. From what I have read, Cal is riddled in athletic debt and doesn’t seem to be that into football, I can totally see them shutting down the football program. Adding way more travel costs at an extremely reduced rate (Conf payout), I just don’t see how it works.

Word on the street is Pac4 is meeting tomorrow with MWC re: merger possibilities, and then alternately with AAC about expansion options. If AAC, who might go... and would they maintain P5 status...
Really there is no P5 status. There is a A5 status. The first was made by the press. If the PAC survives A5 status survives. The 4 really need to stay together and get 4 or 5 Top AAC schools which can buy and early out for 2024.
SMU, Tulane, Rice Memphis, and maybe one or 2 gets them to 2025. Then you add the top 6 to 8 getting to 14 or 16 of the best of the best of G5. You would gut MWC and AAC while putting together something better than either.

Don’t see AAC and/or MWC teams joining the PAC4…why would they pay millions in exit fees to go to PAC4?? PAC 4 will go to AAC or MWC or Indy.

Reactions: Yaes and tjb74
Don’t see AAC and/or MWC teams joining the PAC4…why would they pay millions in exit fees to go to PAC4?? PAC 4 will go to AAC or MWC or Indy.
the pac 4 have like a $420m warchest that they can use to help buyout teams they want to join them.

This is not true. The Blue Bloods the teams with the established brands would make the most money if there wasn't a playoff or national championship at all. Nebraska sucks shit now, but they make a ton of money still because their fanbase is insane. Established brands ruled college football long before there was a P5 designation or College Football Playoff.

Wait, where have you seen they have $420m laying around? If they did, why would the schools have to pay back on the over paying on the cable deal and not have it covered by the conference? Why wouldn’t they have used that to payout teams to stay together to make up any shortfall in the media deal also?

some pac 12 reporter guy. i have no knowledge of the inner workings of that conference, so i'll just rely on the people who cover them say for now.

some pac 12 reporter guy. i have no knowledge of the inner workings of that conference, so i'll just rely on the people who cover them say for now.

I mean it could be true, but I haven’t seen that stated anywhere. I think if it were true, they’d have used that to save the league and made up any media tv deal shortfall to stay whole. I personally wouldn’t listen to anything that guy says though. He has been wrong every step of the way, more delusional than your most delusional usf fan.

This is not true. The Blue Bloods the teams with the established brands would make the most money if there wasn't a playoff or national championship at all. Nebraska sucks shit now, but they make a ton of money still because their fanbase is insane. Established brands ruled college football long before there was a P5 designation or College Football Playoff.
5 real trophies, no asterisks.
Just like Miami.

I think there is truth in both posts.

5 real trophies, no asterisks.
Just like Miami.
I grew up a Nebraska fan, I was born in Nebraska, reveled in all the 90s success, all my family lives in Nebraska and are Nebraska fans, I still root for them to do well. Grew up in Florida, went to UCF, they've obviously supplanted Nebraska as my team.

Nebraska has sucked shit for some time.

Lol at suggesting Stanford for the SEC.
I thought Stanford was in more of a position of strength, but the numbers tell a different story. Perhaps the Big 10 would take them down the road, but now I tend to think not. ND could probably pull them if they wanted them as a partner to join the Big 10, which also is unlikely. If they weren't so far away, Stanford could be a good fit for the Ivy league.

Cal and the radical political activity that gravitates to that school are a turn off to some presidents/chancellors. I was on their campus a month ago...somethings never change. The bay area, for all intents, does not know the FB team of either school exist.

Reactions: connerito
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT