ADVERTISEMENT

David Gibbs is still in control

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
Y'all crack me up with all this talk about is Gus Malzahn still the offensive coordinator. It's like duh? Of course he is.

But what shocks me even more is none of you question who the real defensive coordinator is. David Gibbs is obviously the real defensive coordinator of UCF. You either have to be dumb or blind not to realize it.

He is listed as the "co-defensive coordinator." Yeah right. Guy was the DC at Auburn, at Texas Tech, and at Houston. He had NFL stints at Denver, KC, and Houston.

Do y'all really think DC-in-name-only Addison Williams calls the plays, designs the schemes, executes the game plan, etc.? Do y'all think Travis Williams did?

Addison had one year of DC'ing at Tusculum. Now, he is the DC at a Big12 P5. Riggghhhttt...

Travis Williams was ssssoooo competent of a DC that after he bamboozled Arkansas into hiring him, he demanded Sam Pittman hire his former colleague at Auburn, making Marcus Woodson the 'co-coordinator.' Travis is the 'run game' coordinator; Marcus is the 'passing game' coordinator. Do y'all really think Travis Williams did anything other than run the front 7 at UCF?

If you still don't think David Gibbs is the 'real' DC, then explain why the Knights always rank in the Top 25 in pass efficiency defense, why they always are poor tacklers, why they always have less than ideal run fits, etc., regardless of who the DC-in-name-only is. Maybe it is just a coincidence. 😅

That being said, Gibbs and Gus have done a fine job with this team and program the last three years.

(And before you ask, it is about recruiting, insulating, and dealing with media.)

EDIT: I am going to take this one step further and explain it to all of you in detail.

Recruiting -- UCF needs a black defensive coordinator (front man/face of the defense) and black positions coaches to recruit well. This defensive coaching staff is made up of all black guys (and one white guy calling the shots behind the scenes.)

Insulating -- When things went bad defensively last season, y'all blamed Travis Williams. When things go bad this year, you will blame Addison Williams. No one will even know David Gibbs is pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Dealing with media--David Gibbs just wants to coach football. He could give a rat's ass about the media. There are so many time constraints to coaching already. He would rather lose money than be burdened.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: U C to the F
You can’t be ****ing serious here…

I don’t disagree that young, black talented coaches need more opportunities and Gus gives that. It’s not a stretch to say they can relate more with recruiting and mentoring young black male athletes than the typical older white male.

But come on…this is a weird conspiracy theory that just sounds ludicrous. Besides the defense is way different from last year, more aggressive and not playing 12 yards off the ball. Im 2 hours behind still, you are not…be honest, you been drinking?

You can’t be ****ing serious here…

I don’t disagree that young, black talented coaches need more opportunities and Gus gives that. It’s not a stretch to say they can relate more with recruiting and mentoring young black male athletes than the typical older white

But come on…this is a weird conspiracy theory that just sounds ludicrous. Besides the defense is way different from last year, more aggressive and not playing 12 yards off the ball. Im 2 hours behind still, you are not…be honest, you been drinking?
AL1 is mentally unhinged.

"...weird conspiracy theory."

You mean like Gus Malzahn being the OC, that's not a conspiracy at all, is it?

"Besides the defense is ... more aggressive"

Specifically the front seven right? Wouldn't that suggest a different guy (Ernie Sims) is calling the fronts?

"and not playing 12 yards off the ball."

This is the only peice I cannot explain away--yet. I will have to wait till conference play and see if UCF utilizes this strategy once it has to match up against faster wideouts each week.

(To your point, though.... That strategy is something I saw primarily from Kevin Steele over the years. He would play off coverage early and tighten up in the latter stages of the game. Travis Williams *could" have brought that over from Auburn. Like I said, I need more evidence.)

You failed to address, however, why the defense consistently ranks in the Top 25 in pass efficiency defense despite two different coordinators? Nor did you address why the defense continues to show poor run fits and tackling ability despite changes in coordinators and personnel over the last three seasons.

I am stepping out on a limb and saying that for the past three years a former SEC/AAC/Big12 defensive coordinator and three-time NFL position coach has been the "real" defensive coordinator at UCF--and not two guys with virtually zero experience of any account.

Last edited:
"...weird conspiracy theory."

You mean like Gus Malzahn being the OC, that's not a conspiracy at all, is it?

"Besides the defense is ... more aggressive"

Specifically the front seven right? Wouldn't that suggest a different guy (Ernie Sims) is calling the fronts?

"and not playing 12 yards off the ball."

This is the only peice I cannot explain away--yet. I will have to wait till conference play and see if UCF utilizes this strategy once it has to match up against faster wideouts each week.

(To your point, though.... That strategy is something I saw primarily from Kevin Steele over the years. He would play off coverage early and tighten up in the latter stages of the game. Travis Williams *could" have brought that over from Auburn. Like I said, I need more evidence.)

You failed to address, however, why the defense consistently ranks in the Top 25 in pass efficiency defense despite two different coordinators? Nor did you address why the defense continues to show poor run fits and tackling ability despite changes in coordinators and personnel over the last three seasons.

I am stepping out on a limb and saying that for the past three years a former SEC/AAC/Big12 defensive coordinator and three-time NFL position coach has been the "real" defensive coordinator at UCF--and not two guys with virtually zero experience of any account.
You should really be focusing on Auburn only winning 14-10 against Cal.

You should really be focusing on Auburn only winning 14-10 against Cal.

Now that you mention it, I have to move Oklahoma State at No. 2 in the Big12 power rankings. The Cowboys handled Arizona State on the road with ease.

It took Herculean efforts for AUBURN and Piss State to beat lower tier PAC-12 teams Cal and Arizona State (OT), respectively.

Those are the PAC-12's only non-conference losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT