ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis: Florida shouldn’t ‘monkey this up’

hes stated several times that he has tds and is shook. nothing from him should surprised us, and yet every time i think hes hit rock bottom stupid, he finds a way to dig the hole deeper.
That's their song. 85 shouldn't sing it.

you should stop following the msm. its really bad for your tds and only makes you more shook. maybe spend more time with that family of yours
Maybe I'm mocking 85 for suggesting that he shouldn't sing a nursery rhyme or the liberal boogeyman will get him.

you should stop following the msm. its really bad for your tds and only makes you more shook. maybe spend more time with that family of yours

I think he's conceded how idiotic his side is on this and is just trolling now.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I can't believe you were all like "yep those crazy liberals now think 5 little monkeys jumping on a bed" is racist.

Get a grip.

https://splinternews.com/ron-desantis-moderated-a-facebook-group-full-of-racists-1828704293

I wonder if 85 is a part of this Facebook group. It says they started posting shit about McCain including calling him friendly with jihadists. Remember when 85 posted that picture that was totally fake and then he said, "yeah I knew it was fake but it's still bad" after he got called out?

Painful.

idk he always looks like an idiot. why stop now?

:joy::joy::joy:

The irony.

Love this place

https://splinternews.com/ron-desantis-moderated-a-facebook-group-full-of-racists-1828704293

I wonder if 85 is a part of this Facebook group. It says they started posting shit about McCain including calling him friendly with jihadists. Remember when 85 posted that picture that was totally fake and then he said, "yeah I knew it was fake but it's still bad" after he got called out?

[roll]

Remember when you claimed that the right to vote was written multiple times in the Constitution and then ran away when I pointed out how hilariously wrong that was?

I love how quickly you liberals turned into bed wetting whiny morons over DeSantis. It'll be a pleasure voting for him.

Reactions: HeupelsThirdChin
[roll]

Remember when you claimed that the right to vote was written multiple times in the Constitution and then ran away when I pointed out how hilariously wrong that was?

I love how quickly you liberals turned into bed wetting whiny morons over DeSantis. It'll be a pleasure voting for him.
Did you tag me?

What, that someone giving the school millions so their one kid can get in is the same as making separate rules for an entire race of people, based solely on the color of their skin, that convey the sentiment that they aren’t good enough so you’re going to create special rules for them?

Or that some of the extra money that schools get from legacies is used to provide scholarships for other students that qualify academically but can’t afford the school?

Do you feel that there is an equivalence there?

I was focusing on preferences solely based upon a relative. You are discussing people who donate money, which is a different topic. Do you think it is fair to have a lower entrance criteria just because your father went to that school?

I was focusing on preferences solely based upon a relative. You are discussing people who donate money, which is a different topic. Do you think it is fair to have a lower entrance criteria just because your father went to that school?

Sure, why not? Legacy preferential treatment is not based on race or any other "identity" boxes, other than the fact that prior family are alumni of that university. There's value to a university to have generations of families involved and invested in their institution.

I'm also going to assume that the number of legacies being admitted due to dumbed down admission requirements pales in comparison to kids with the right identity boxes checked getting in thanks to dumbed down admission requirements.

Sure, why not? Legacy preferential treatment is not based on race or any other "identity" boxes, other than the fact that prior family are alumni of that university. There's value to a university to have generations of families involved and invested in their institution.

I'm also going to assume that the number of legacies being admitted due to dumbed down admission requirements pales in comparison to kids with the right identity boxes checked getting in thanks to dumbed down admission requirements.
250px-Thomas-D-Rice-1832.jpg

How about preferential treatment based on on many generations of your ancestors are college educated at the university.

That's very short-sighted and incorrect on both accounts. Considering that certain groups (blacks, Hispanics, Indians) were legally discriminated against in the earlier years of universities which allowed opportunities for people of the government's choosing to advance in society solely because of the color of their skin is a racial based preference. Now because of these legacy preferences, which are also racial, descendants are able to take advantage of a system that rewards them because of discrimination decades/centuries earlier. In order to rectify this, some race base entrance preferences were created (and starting to be phased out now) for the first generation of post-segregated education in order to help close the gap. These usually composed about 1-2% of admissions which is most likely lower than the legacy admissions. So your argument is that the crumbs should be taken away from the hungry because they weren't fully earned. While the meals should continue for those who have a family history with the university solely based on the past connection. If you are for legacy preferences but against affirmative action then you are being a hypocrite.

Reactions: bluechip12
That's very short-sighted and incorrect on both accounts. Considering that certain groups (blacks, Hispanics, Indians) were legally discriminated against in the earlier years of universities which allowed opportunities for people of the government's choosing to advance in society solely because of the color of their skin is a racial based preference. Now because of these legacy preferences, which are also racial, descendants are able to take advantage of a system that rewards them because of discrimination decades/centuries earlier. In order to rectify this, some race base entrance preferences were created (and starting to be phased out now) for the first generation of post-segregated education in order to help close the gap. These usually composed about 1-2% of admissions which is most likely lower than the legacy admissions. So your argument is that the crumbs should be taken away from the hungry because they weren't fully earned. While the meals should continue for those who have a family history with the university solely based on the past connection. If you are for legacy preferences but against affirmative action then you are being a hypocrite.

Yea well, that's like your opinion man.

I'd be more than happy to compromise and do away with both. I see more merit in Legacy admission preference, but if push came to shove then do away with it too, to assure that we get rid of the unfair and biased acceptance criteria with identity based admissions.

By the way, the most marginalized group of students thanks to affirmative action admission policies is another minority- Asian Americans. In fact there are several lawsutis by Asian American groups asserting that these biased admission policies have unfairly denied them entry into the colleges they want despite clearly being the most qualified.

I'd be more than happy to compromise and do away with both. I see more merit in Legacy admission preference, but if push came to shove then do away with it too, to assure that we get rid of the unfair and biased acceptance criteria with identity based admissions.

By the way, the most marginalized group of students thanks to affirmative action admission policies is another minority- Asian Americans. In fact there are several lawsutis by Asian American groups asserting that these biased admission policies have unfairly denied them entry into the colleges they want despite clearly being the most qualified.
the left always seems to forget about asian americans for some reason....

I don't think your definition of legacy is correct, there isn't money involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_preferences
If you scroll down in that page, you’ll see the claim that “the main reason for legacy preference is to increase donations.” Then it claims that, while donations don’t seem to increase, donations do decrease when a legacy is denied.

So money is quite assuredly involved.

So incentivize their learning throughout their life rather than make changes that leave them less prepared and put them into situations where either they are destined to struggle or you have to degrade the quality of the education for all.

Maybe offer socioeconomically disadvantaged families a $1000 grant for every 3.0 or higher report card. I would bet that a family that could earn an extra $4k per child per year would put some familial attention into a kid’s schooling. Since we’re already moving towards $15k per student, this isn’t hugely out of scope.

You are correct about the 2nd paragraph. Once affirmative action is removed, Asian-Americans dominate admission. However, their denial of entry is because the colleges want to remain traditionally white or in line with the current demographics, more affirmative action. Legacies will be used to maintain that racial make up.

I’d love to see the source of your statistics referencing percentage of legacies in admissions to affirmative action.

You are correct about the 2nd paragraph. Once affirmative action is removed, Asian-Americans dominate admission. However, their denial of entry is because the colleges want to remain traditionally white or in line with the current demographics, more affirmative action. Legacies will be used to maintain that racial make up.

This is wild, wild speculation. Colleges are keeping Asians out to keep schools white? Is that a joke?

I’d love to see the source of your statistics referencing percentage of legacies in admissions to affirmative action.

I think he's massively inflating the assumed number of legacies actually get in purely because of reduced admission standards. I think it's a tiny %.

Earlier in this thread somebody asked how a guy with his education could 'stick his foot in his mouth.' Trust me, tthis was no "accident" or a "slip up" in any, way, shape or form.

What DeSantis said was very exact and very intentional. It was a dog whistle that got the exact response he was hoping for.

His fellow Trumpsters got his message while sparking outrage from 'those libbies.' I don't think his campaign expected the Fox News disclaimer because he crafted it to be just innocuous enough to be staunchly defended by the conservative, anti-PC crowd, right.

Attention like he's gotten here is exactly what his campaign was hoping for. Mission accomplished.

So incentivize their learning throughout their life rather than make changes that leave them less prepared and put them into situations where either they are destined to struggle or you have to degrade the quality of the education for all.

Maybe offer socioeconomically disadvantaged families a $1000 grant for every 3.0 or higher report card. I would bet that a family that could earn an extra $4k per child per year would put some familial attention into a kid’s schooling. Since we’re already moving towards $15k per student, this isn’t hugely out of scope.

The problem is in funding. It's almost like a P5 vs G5 thing. Schools are funded by the local tax base. If you live in a higher income area, you buy a bigger house, you pay more taxes, the schools get more money, they pay teachers better and have more resources to deliver a better education. If you take a kid from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and put him/her in sh*tty school from K-12, there is no way they will be prepared for college education. Everybody wants their kid to have an advantage over every other kid which incentivizes the funding discrepancies. I look at it as a national & economic security issue because we are not utilizing our entire talent pool. Then businesses have to employ people from other countries.

The problem is in funding. It's almost like a P5 vs G5 thing. Schools are funded by the local tax base. If you live in a higher income area, you buy a bigger house, you pay more taxes, the schools get more money, they pay teachers better and have more resources to deliver a better education. If you take a kid from a socioeconomically disadvantaged background and put him/her in sh*tty school from K-12, there is no way they will be prepared for college education. Everybody wants their kid to have an advantage over every other kid which incentivizes the funding discrepancies. I look at it as a national & economic security issue because we are not utilizing our entire talent pool. Then businesses have to employ people from other countries.
When you talk local, you’re talking a school district which is an entire county for central Florida. Within that, I suspect that government funds are often distributed on a need basis within communities as much as an expectation basis (I need to look up the numbers, only have anecdotes now). Sure, some schools have private donors as well but that’s not what we’re talking about. Now, as for what those schools are spending their money on, that is driven by community but is a large function of social drivers and certainly not anything biological.

As far as schools being funded primarily locally, more than half of Orange County Public Schools’s budget comes from State sources.

I agree with you last statement about the labor force. We are a knowledge economy and if we are going to maintain that we need to secure our own development of knowledge resources, I.e. people.

You run your mouth every day saying 85

you have an awfully big mouth

lol, what, you going to try to fight me? It would be appropriate for you, massive hypocrite.

And I never denied any of that, I notice you don't say I'm wrong though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT