ADVERTISEMENT

DG enters transfer portal

Thompson-Robinson will return to UCLA for 2022

UCLA quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson, a three-year starter for the Bruins who will play his fifth season in the fall, has decided to return to coach Chip Kelly's program amid a slew of upperclassmen moving to other schools via the transfer portal.

I wasn't aware Oklahoma was looking at bringing in another transfer QB. It may be just click bait for views, but what if they did bring in Dart, or if Williams stayed. That would create a crowded QB room.

As Davis sets a new NFL Playoff record for TDs....Don't think there is a talent gap? Guy threw a great deep ball but it helps when you have NFL talent all over the field.
Between Oklahoma and us? Yeah there is, and we're on the wrong side of it the last 3 years.

Also, Davis was only with Gabriel for one year, this is a weak argument.

Between Oklahoma and us? Yeah there is, and we're on the wrong side of it the last 3 years.

Not sure I'm following you guys correctly. I think DG had receivers who were better than the DBs in the conference. My view is he made a big gamble looking for NIL money instead of guaranteed playtime, risking his chances at a pro career. I'm rooting for him but his ability to compete at OU is a big unknown.

Not sure I'm following you guys correctly. I think DG had receivers who were better than the DBs in the conference. My view is he made a big gamble looking for NIL money instead of guaranteed playtime, risking his chances at a pro career. I'm rooting for him but his ability to compete at OU is a big unknown.
That is definitely not what he said.

The NIL money is a thing this board likes to harp on and make fun of DG about. Ultimately I'm 99% sure the overwhelming factor in him leaving was coaching philosophy. Hell, he made it very clear how attached he was to Lebby and how much he wanted to play for him last winter/spring.

I wasn't aware Oklahoma was looking at bringing in another transfer QB. It may be just click bait for views, but what if they did bring in Dart, or if Williams stayed. That would create a crowded QB room.

Williams taking forever is screwing over Dart who I think would just want to stay at Southern Cal . Crystal Ball for Ole Miss but Oklahoma still trying

That is definitely not what he said.

The NIL money is a thing this board likes to harp on and make fun of DG about. Ultimately I'm 99% sure the overwhelming factor in him leaving was coaching philosophy. Hell, he made it very clear how attached he was to Lebby and how much he wanted to play for him last winter/spring.
Like I said I was having trouble following y'alls positions and just wanted to share my thoughts.

Marquise Brown and CeeDee Lamb, Oklahoma WRs, drafted in 1st round back to back years 2019-20. Both currently putting up NFL top 25 stats in receptions, yards, and TDs. Seems like Oklahoma WR talent is generally pretty good.

• Haha
Reactions: Boston.Knight
DG was a great qb for us. I’m interested to see how he plays in “bigger” games for OU. I think he’s going to continue to do well if he can concentrate on football and not how many video requests he gets on his Cameo account.

OU will always have some playmakers, hopefully they have a good Oline otherwise he may have a pile of broken cheap lawn chairs waiting for trash day pickup.

Reactions: tjb74
Come on man, DG was great. There are other words you can use to make yourself feel better to separate MM and Daunte if you like.

Let's not cheapen the meaning of the word "great". DG was good. MM and Daunte were great.
From a passing stat standpoint, Gabriel averaged more yards, tds, yards per attempt, and had lower int rate then both Milton and Culpepper.

If Gabriel plays a full season and averages his 2.69 td per season, he will be in the top 25 NCAA history for passing TDs.

Let's not cheapen the meaning of the word "great". DG was good. MM and Daunte were great.
Daunte is my all time favorite QB from us but as far as accomplishments at college level he is at best on same level. Best season was 9-3. No bowl game. After 4 years starting, DG would have had most of our QB records.

Daunte was playing w garage type facilities and a program that had no investment yet

DG put up great stats vs the bottom of the AAC but never had a marquee win unless you count Stanford his freshmen year. Been repeated a lot but that is why it is hard to project how good he will be at Oklahoma, he got happy feet in many close games

Reactions: KnightLife1
Daunte was playing w garage type facilities and a program that had no investment yet

DG put up great stats vs the bottom of the AAC but never had a marquee win unless you count Stanford his freshmen year. Been repeated a lot but that is why it is hard to project how good he will be at Oklahoma, he got happy feet in many close games
Oklahoma plays 90% games they should win and 10% that should be close. It will be same. 2-4 losses if he starts the whole year.

So in those 'marquee' games where he lost in 2020 and 2021, his play is the direct result to the loss.

In 5 losses he had 14 TDs, 3 Ints, and 315 yards per game.

The expectation that the offense must score more than 43 points per game to win, that was the average points allowed in those 5 losses.

I am not saying Gabriel is best QB ever, but it's so easy to refute that he's not a tier 2 QB. And arguments are inconsistently applied across all the QBs in conversation because of the outcome of his career with UCF.

It may come to a shock but Milton or Culpeper in all likelihood would not have had any better outcomes in terms of team performance. Unless I missed when they played defense and special teams.

From a passing stat standpoint, Gabriel averaged more yards, tds, yards per attempt, and had lower int rate then both Milton and Culpepper.

If Gabriel plays a full season and averages his 2.69 td per season, he will be in the top 25 NCAA history for passing TDs.
This ongoing quote of DG's stats continues to be misleading. DG threw the ball 415 times in 10 games last year. Most FBS qbs threw between 300-350 passes, i.e. about 33% less. We ran a system where there were about only 10-15 seconds between plays, so many more snaps per game. Comparing his raw stats to other qbs is not comparing apples to apples.

In one equal comparison: DG's completion % of 60% was 67th among all FBS qbs, so not high level for accuracy. His record for wins in his second season was 6-4, or 60%. Keene, who admittedly did not have a great season last year, was 7-3 in his starts in his Freshman season, including a win over SEC Florida in a bowl game. Not trying to say that Keene is better than DG. Just saying that, when it comes down to what really matters, taking your team to victory, DG was not great, and no spin on his statistics will make him great to those who care to look behind the numbers.

DG= 9-3, 6-4.
MM= 25-0 over two years.
Culpepper= NFL starter.

Last edited:
Come on man, DG was great. There are other words you can use to make yourself feel better to separate MM and Daunte if you like.
To avoid any misunderstanding, I must say that all three did an awesome job while wearing the Black and Gold. I respect you differing with me. Given that all three played on different teams, opponents, systems and circumstances, it is really up to subjective comparison of who was best between these three very good Knights. Each one has certain statistics/accomplishments that make them stand out. I am glad that each of them is a part of our history as each played a huge role in what UCF is today.

Last edited:
So who’s going to be the next one to step into those cleats?
I’m not trying to disparage MK, because I really, really enjoyed that Gasparilla bowl, but I would have liked to see how Gus used Darriel (Return of the) Mack. Seems like a much better fit in Gus’s offense. But being stuck behind DG, I get why he left.

I’m not trying to disparage MK, because I really, really enjoyed that Gasparilla bowl, but I would have liked to see how Gus used Darriel (Return of the) Mack. Seems like a much better fit in Gus’s offense. But being stuck behind DG, I get why he left.
Mack pulled off the near impossible for us against LSU and the Memphis game will forever live on in UCF lore, but a good quarterback he was not. ODU was ecstatic to DJ but there's a reason bigger programs didn't chase him. He lost the starting job and they actually did better with his backup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT