ADVERTISEMENT

Drejka Trial

sk8knight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
The trial of Michael Drejka is starting here in Florida. The media is, again, spinning a narrative and getting all of the facts wrong. Rather than discuss that, I'll link a blog post that does a much better job.

My interest is in what the jury does with this case. IMO, I think that this boils down to imminence and reasonableness. Was Drejka's fear reasonable; i.e. would it be reasonable that any normal person in that exact situation knowing what Drejka knew would act the same way? Was the threat imminent? In the video, McGlockton turns away which the jury may see as eliminating imminence. But they will probably be asked to consider when Drejka made the decision and was the time between McGlockton turning and the shot reasonable enough to assume that Drejka truly believed that he was in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death when he pulled the trigger. If they believe that any normal person should've held off the trigger pull once McGlockton turned away, then Drejka will most likely be convicted of murder.

I suppose they could consider the innocence factor, being that Drejka initiated the situation. Once he got pushed down, though, I think that goes away. Unless his prior actions at the gas station in previous days comes into play (not sure if that is admissible or not).

I think Drejka is an asshole. I hate that he was an irresponsible armed carrier in that he decided to instigate situations that put himself in a position where the use of force was more likely or even inevitable. That is not what concealed carriers should be doing.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/08/handicap-spot-trial-triggers-fakenews-tsunami/

If they offer him a manslaughter deal with 10-15 he should take it and run. Guy started the whole thing and there was no imminent threat, the guy was walking the other way.

I usually find myself on the side of the guy who pulls the trigger if it’s debatable but there’s no question on this one to me - he’s guilty of murder.

I just read the article in the OP, very long but a really good read. He seems to think Drejka should be found NOT guilty. He didn't change my mind at all but I still suggest checking it out if you have the time.

That guy had been instigating fights at that gas station for weeks. Plus, he's in the face threatening a pregnant woman, it's reasonable to push him away.

That guy had been instigating fights at that gas station for weeks. Plus, he's in the face threatening a pregnant woman, it's reasonable to push him away.
I think it is as well. But that action and then looming over him would present an imminent threat of grave bodily harm or death. Every year people go to jail for murder for pushing someone down who then dies. The following events are key to the legal proceeding. Drejka pulls the gun, McGlockton appears to turn away and retreat, Drejka shoots. This happens very quickly. While we can sit in the comfort of our homes and offices and analyze this dispassionately, the jury has the duty to try to place themselves in the crucible of the moment. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, in that moment, Drejka would've been full of adrenaline and seeing things very differently. He's got a man who just pushed him down towering over him. He may not have even been aware of McGlockton turning around. I'm sure both sides will present expert testimony in both directions on that point.

Now, his prior actions might contribute to his state of mind and that might be admissible or might not. I'm not a lawyer, just someone who finds 2A and self-defense law fascinating. Due process is a bitch sometimes, but it's there to try to keep innocent people from being convicted.

The trial of Michael Drejka is starting here in Florida. The media is, again, spinning a narrative and getting all of the facts wrong.
Huh??!?!

I haven't been following 'the media's false narrative spinning,' but I saw the store video with my own eyes.

This dude is guilty as sin and I'm glad justice was served..

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
Huh??!?!

I haven't been following 'the media's false narrative spinning,' but I saw the store video with my own eyes.

This dude is guilty as sin and I'm glad justice was served..
It’s the Stand Your Ground narrative where the media is either completely ignorant of what SYG is or intentionally misrepresents SYG. It’s a long discussion though, and been well debated here, so I’m not going to go deep into it now. The point is, the justice process worked and it looks like the correct verdict was rendered.

Reactions: DaShuckster
He accosted people.
That's instigating.

He had no right to SYG.
Just like Zimmerman didn't either.

The difference is that Zimmerman didn't accost anyone.

He accosted people.
That's instigating.

He had no right to SYG.
Just like Zimmerman didn't either.

The difference is that Zimmerman didn't accost anyone.
Zimmerman didn’t need SYG because he couldn’t retreat with Trayvon atop him pounding his head “MMA-style”. SYG alleviates any legal duty to retreat when faced with a threat of grave bodily harm or death. But in that case there was no possibility of retreat so it wasn’t a SYG case no matter what Benjamin Crump wanted to taint the jury pool with pre-trial.

Everyone has a right to SYG in Florida but it doesn’t apply in most cases. Even with SYG in place, however, it still needs to be a legal self defense case and meet the rest of the criteria. We’ve been through this before, though, so there’s no sense getting into it again.

Zimmerman didn’t need SYG because he couldn’t retreat with Trayvon atop him pounding his head “MMA-style”.
sk8 is bringing back a "golden oldie." :)

The interesting thing about that case is the stalker was able to shoot the boy he was stalking "for fear of his life" but the victim who was being followed in the dark wasn't allowed the same consideration with his fists.

sk8 is bringing back a "golden oldie." :)

The interesting thing about that case is the stalker was able to shoot the boy he was stalking "for fear of his life" but the victim who was being followed in the dark wasn't allowed the same consideration with his fists.
This was all litigated in depth and you could go read the transcripts and learn about the actual evidence in record. You’ve made up your mind to believe a false narrative and I won’t be able to convince you no matter what I say so you can go on with your ignorance or you can go learn the truth. I could care less.

In case you want to get a little smarter on this, I’ll leave you a link that shows a ton of information from an expert on self defense law: https://legalinsurrection.com/tag/george-zimmerman-trial/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT