ADVERTISEMENT

Football Signing Day/Recruiting Countdown - Post all info here!

If a recruit rather go to FSU and wants to come back after things don't work out, why shouldn't we let him back?

It's all about winning, so we can be where they want to go. We aren't 100% there yet.

If you let Artis come back, you are even further devaluing the idea of a "commitment". When Artis committed to UCF, that meant that the coaches had to go tell a kid they were interested in, sorry, but our class is full at your position. When he decommitted, they had to restart recruiting for his spot, probably not with whoever they severed ties with. Now it didn't work out, we take him back and tell another recruit we're not interested, so Artis can re-"commit".

If Artis wasn't sure UCF was for him, he shouldn't have committed. Same goes for next year's "Artis".

If you let Artis come back, you are even further devaluing the idea of a "commitment". When Artis committed to UCF, that meant that the coaches had to go tell a kid they were interested in, sorry, but our class is full at your position. When he decommitted, they had to restart recruiting for his spot, probably not with whoever they severed ties with. Now it didn't work out, we take him back and tell another recruit we're not interested, so Artis can re-"commit".

If Artis wasn't sure UCF was for him, he shouldn't have committed. Same goes for next year's "Artis".

This is nonsense. In the real world, you take him back.

will trust whatever route Frost wants to go but in defense of Artis at least he was visiting real Football Factories and not Purdue #shotsfiredBeach
Obviously, the coaches are responsible for the football program and will do whatever they think is best and as fans we support them. My predictions are surprisingly not considered.
Personally, I hope they let him back, because short-term he's a great addition and the way coach works in the AAC we should only really worry about the short term.
Frost's comments about recruiting "not being a circus as long as he's here" leads me to think he won't be welcomed back.

Reactions: UCFProf
Gotta love this quote from new commit Maxwell (basically polar opposite of Beach)

Maxwell, who took an official visit to UCF in September, decided to close things down and commit to the Knights on Wednesday. Maxwell tells Knights247 that he's fully committed, but won't tweet any commitment note because he doesn't want all the attention that comes with it.

"I love UCF with all my heart," Maxwell told Knights247. "I just don't want all the attention and notifications."

Chisholm talks UCF commitment
New UCF commit Jamari Chisholm explains his decision to commit to the Knights
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/chisholm-talks-ucf-commitment/
Finally, we're talking defensive line. It was when our thin DLine all got hobbled that the team couldn't stop the run and that was the end our season. That was UCF's weakest link from the beginning, especially playing a 3-4 with some of the most undersized linebackers in the nation.

Reactions: KnightLife1
If a recruit rather go to FSU and wants to come back after things don't work out, why shouldn't we let him back?

It's all about winning, so we can be where they want to go. We aren't 100% there yet.
Why shouldn't we? How about: 1.) Disloyalty, 2.) Sending a bad message to other players and future recruits; 3.) Potential for toxic environment created in and around the team family.

AGREED

Half of them never got to campus.

FB, In 2016, Jan. 27 was exactly one week before the NSD of Feb. 3. On that date, we had a total of only 12 commits.

From and after Jan. 27, we obtained the following 9 commitments (Bacote came after signing day):

1.) Bryon Brown- 1/27/16
2.)Aaron Dowdell- 2/2/16
3.) Monterious Loggins- 2/3/16
4.) DJ Davidson- 2/3/16
5.) Joe Sanders- 2/3/16
6.) Jordan Johnson- 2/3/16
7.) Eric Mitchell- 2/3/16
8.) Dredrick Snelson- 2/3/16
9.) Dedrion Bacote - 3/15/16

As of Jan. 2017, of the above 9 players, 7 are on the UCF team roster. Only two, Davidson and Sanders, are not.

Why shouldn't we? How about: 1.) Disloyalty, 2.) Sending a bad message to other players and future recruits; 3.) Potential for toxic environment created in and around the team family.
So., if he was the number 1 rated offensive lineman in the country, you wouldn't take him back? Really?

Nice pick up!! I do miss listening to GOL and his staff break down these guys during the signing day party in the past. Last year it was 30 minutes of how we can give money and a quick run down of the guys. Hopefully we have a beautiful weekend in Orlando for last minute visitors and it's freezing cold up north.

Reactions: Mikesi
High school sophomores and juniors are not following Artis's recruiting. No one will remember a month after he comes back

Reactions: Mikesi and UCFan07
High school sophomores and juniors are not following Artis's recruiting. No one will remember a month after he comes back
They will if he is on the team and part of their recruiting visit. Or if they discuss this with their host player etc. Of course it makes a difference. the real world is that you are trying to set expectations, establish your authority and set a tone for the team and program in general. The moment you start making exceptions for players is the moment it breaks down and your credibility is gone. Now sometimes there are extenuating circumstances, but as a coach you have your plan and you stick to it. Kind of like not caring if the fans want a certain QB in the game or not.

I see your point. We were recruiting a prof who turned down our offer for higher status position; the next year, he regretted his choice and reapplied and we didn't even consider is application!

But if Scott does take him back, that will force the guy to prove his loyalty and team-ahead-of-self to both coaches and teammates. Also, consider the peer, family, and P5 recruiter pressure these young adults are under. Today more than ever, it makes little sense for recruits to not choose a P-5 offer.

As I've said, it's line quality that's the P5's biggest edge. They can sign most of the best because projected lineman performance is recognized by recruiters as the least risky.

So, no thugs, no recruits who've vacillated, enjoy being the Sisters of the Poor as the FAU Womenbeaters become the Big 4 in Florida. I agree with the thugs, but rejecting a brain fart because you've been insulted is probably stupid. You who agree with dumping Artis must hate Godfrey. That ass quit, insulted the team and then was let back on! Horrible. (sarcasm- great player). At least Artis was polite when he left. We and Frost may think UCF is great, but the rest of the world just sees us as G5. We can't be that picky. All this is moot anyway, he'll be headed to the Big 12 probably, then after a year or so on the bench will come looking.

So, no thugs, no recruits who've vacillated, enjoy being the Sisters of the Poor as the FAU Womenbeaters become the Big 4 in Florida. I agree with the thugs, but rejecting a brain fart because you've been insulted is probably stupid. You who agree with dumping Artis must hate Godfrey. That ass quit, insulted the team and then was let back on! Horrible. (sarcasm- great player). At least Artis was polite when he left. We and Frost may think UCF is great, but the rest of the world just sees us as G5. We can't be that picky. All this is moot anyway, he'll be headed to the Big 12 probably, then after a year or so on the bench will come looking.
some of our fans think we are Stanford & are just not used to the circus that is recruiting. They prefer the good ole days where 2 stars with their only other offer from Harvard that stays loyal bc no one else wants them.

Last edited:
Haha! That's wasn't the question. You should run for office
No it wasn't the question, it is the answer. If he was the best lineman in the country, (your premise) and his dream school is FSU (a fact), he would have had a FSU offer from the very beginning and would have never been a UCF commit. Not my fault your question is based on an irrelevant hypothetical. But maybe now you can better understand that this is in fact the answer to your question.

some of our fans think we are Stanford & are just not used to the circus that is recruiting. They prefer the good ole days where 2 stars with their only other offer from Harvard that stays loyal bc no one else wants them.

PK, and others, with all due respect to all who have weighed in on this issue, we could go on and on about it and, I feel, there are valid points on both sides. But I think that 1.) we all share the same desire which is a strong UCF program, and 2.) there is more than one way to be successful on the field and in recruiting.

I don't think that either of us is necessarily right or wrong. I guess you could say, if we all were head coaches, different head coaches have different ways of running their programs... different team rules, different principles that can't be broken, or different decisions on when, if ever, to tweak those team rules. In essence, there is more than one way to win. So I guess we are all saying what we feel we would do if it was our decision to make, but of course, for us all, those shoes may feel entirely different when you put them on.

So it was a healthy debate, and either way it goes, I would support Frost and the team, because I trust his instincts and principles and his desire to have a winning team that supports the players and treats them all fairly.

Reactions: GILL T
No it wasn't the question, it is the answer. If he was the best lineman in the country, (your premise) and his dream school is FSU (a fact), he would have had a FSU offer from the very beginning and would have never been a UCF commit. Not my fault your question is based on an irrelevant hypothetical. But maybe now you can better understand that this is in fact the answer to your question.
So.., if he's the one of best offensive linemen in the country (our need) and something goes wrong with an offer from FSU due to circumstances we don't take a recruit back? We have had highly ranked recruits have offers from top P5 schools before. We need to maybe bend our own rules a little to build a program right now

Point is, you have to give these kids a little slack and can't be so rigid.

That's he only point really I'm trying to make. Every circumstance is diiferent and as fans, we don't always have the inside scoop. We don't need as a program to come off as strict rule hard assess.

You have eluded to that in the above post. Frost will make the best decisions hopefully

So.., if he's the one of best offensive linemen in the country (our need) and something goes wrong with an offer from FSU due to circumstances we don't take a recruit back? We have had highly ranked recruits have offers from top P5 schools before. We need to maybe bend our own rules a little to build a program right now

Point is, you have to give these kids a little slack and can't be so rigid.

That's he only point really I'm trying to make. Every circumstance is diiferent and as fans, we don't always have the inside scoop. We don't need as a program to come off as strict rule hard assess.

You have eluded to that in the above post. Frost will make the best decisions hopefully
Agreed, that we should support Frost in his recruiting decisions. We may not agree with his every decision, but at the very least he has earned our trust.

Reactions: Mikesi
I think he has super high morals. He's no Lane Kiffin
I don't really like the idea of letting wife or girlfriend cheat on you and accept them back either. Some people may if she's out of league. Artis is probably not out of league or he'd be going to FSU.

Speaking of Stanford, Dawkins took back Matt Williams after he filed to transfer.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
if Artis isn't coming to UCF I hope he picks Baylor over Oregon. Rhule is a good coach and class act & I'd rather not see Slick Willie get more arrogant thinking he can just keep plucking prospects out of Florida. I predict that his 2nd class will have a tougher time selling to Florida Recruits after one full season of getting outcoached in the Pac12

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT