ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Antivoting Law

Wow. Can't believe that guy was the biggest electoral loser since Hoover. Also crazy that his party is at its biggest deficit in affiliation since 2012. Oh well.
I get it, like I said people were brainwashed. Tremendous chess move by the democrats. Pushed all their chips on the table and drew the race card. Not gonna hate on their strategy, it worked

I get it, like I said people were brainwashed. Tremendous chess move by the democrats. Pushed all their chips on the table and drew the race card.
To pretend the Republican Party hasn't been actively pushing the race card in national elections going back to the Willie Horton ads 33 years ago is either disingenuous or naive.

Reactions: OLearyLastCall
To pretend the Republican Party hasn't been actively pushing the race card in national elections going back to the Willie Horton ads 33 years ago is either disingenuous or naive.
Lol. Willie Horton probably shouldn't be the champion of your cause.

Never said they haven't. If you voted for someone thinking they'd "fix" racism and the solution was an 80 year old white dude who's pushed racist bills and had had zero remorse then can't really help you. Both things can be true. I don't vote because someone is gonna fix racism, cuz it's basically impossible. The racists will always be out there, I've experienced it many times and they usually are old white dudes that live in expensive houses in liberal cities. My experience

I don't vote because someone is gonna fix racism, cuz it's basically impossible. The racists will always be out there.
I would agree. But it's disingenuous to say we shouldn't work to prevent institutionalized racism because 'fixing racism is impossible.' There are many ways that thoughtful and clear-minded people of all backgrounds and ethnicities can work together 'to form a better union.'

I would agree. But it's disingenuous to say we shouldn't work to prevent institutionalized racism because 'fixing racism is impossible.' There are many ways that thoughtful and clear-minded people of all backgrounds and ethnicities can work together 'to form a better union.'
Where’s the racist law still on the books? That would be institutionalized racism and I’d want it taken care of.

Reactions: djrenown
That assumes that today, in 2021, there is institutionalized racism that the government can fix

Where’s the racist law still on the books? That would be institutionalized racism and I’d want it taken care of.
Haven't you figured this out yet? A law that applies to everyone equally is inherently racist because POC are less capable of following the rules set forth. Jimmy Joe Bob out in Podunk County is smart enough to figure out how to vote but DeShawn that lives 2 blocks from a polling place is too dumb to figure out how to get there and show that he has a free ID. The oppression! Oh, the oppression!

You really believe there isn't??!?
To be clear, there is always legislation that can be made to compensate for past crimes, ie reparations. However, I don't believe there are any federal and state laws that are racist. Of course this thread is arguing the racist nature of the GA voting laws, so your threshold for what is or isn't racist will also affect your thoughts.

Of course this thread is arguing the racist nature of the GA voting laws, so your threshold for what is or isn't racist will also affect your thoughts.
Trust me, that works both ways.

You might want to keep in mind that Georgia is the state where Ahmaud Arbery was killed by two self-appointed neighborhood watchdog types for....gasp!.....jogging through their neighborhood.

His mother was informed BY A LOCAL POLICE OFFICER that her son died during the commission of a crime.

Trust me, that works both ways.

You might want to keep in mind that Georgia is the state where Ahmaud Arbery was killed by two self-appointed neighborhood watchdog types for....gasp!.....jogging through their neighborhood.

His mother was informed BY A LOCAL POLICE OFFICER that her son died during the commission of a crime.
And people were arrested yes? THey will be standing trial soon. Again, said it like 10 messages ago, racist people exist. A racist government - "institutionalized racism" - is fiction created by democrats to keep minorities voting for them while they continue to pass laws like Biden and Clinton did in the 90s. The story has played out for years and years.

• Wow
Reactions: chemmie
And people were arrested yes? They will be standing trial soon.
Would that father and son team of vigilantes have been arrested if the video of what actually happened hadn't surfaced?
Again, said it like 10 messages ago, racist people exist. A racist government - "institutionalized racism" - is fiction created by democrats to keep minorities voting for them
If institutionalized racism is "fiction," why did the police officer who 'investigated' the jogger's death tell the victim's next-of-kin that he died while committing a crime?

Would that father and son team of vigilantes have been arrested if the video of what actually happened hadn't surfaced?

If institutionalized racism is "fiction," why did the police officer who 'investigated' the jogger's death tell the victim's next-of-kin that he died while committing a crime?
Maybe the cop is a POS? or maybe the cop is racist? Institutionalized racism would mean the cop, by law or because of some benefit, would be against a minority. Again, i repeat, there are racist people in this world and in this country, quite a few of them.

Maybe the cop is a POS? or maybe the cop is racist? Institutionalized racism would mean the cop, by law or because of some benefit, would be against a minority.
The father in this incident used to work for the police department.

Couldn't the cop -- and, we should assume, the department as well -- be FOR the Dad? Couldn't the department use the situation to exonerate the father and son pair from any wrong-doing by placing the blame on a minority jogger? Why else would the police have responded the way they did otherwise? And, guess what? It would have WORKED if the video hadn't surfaced and the police were forced by public opinion to reverse course.

This is classic institutional racism whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Couldn't the cop -- and, we should assume, the department as well -- be FOR the Dad? Couldn't the department use the situation to exonerate the father and son pair from any wrong-doing by placing the blame on a minority jogger? Why else would the police have responded the way they did otherwise? And, guess what? It would have WORKED if the video hadn't surfaced and the police were forced by public opinion to reverse course.

This is classic institutional racism whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but wasn't the cell phone video collected during the investigation and the guy who recorded it was arrested? I'll be honest and say I don't totally remember the details of that case.

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but wasn't the cell phone video collected during the investigation and the guy who recorded it was arrested? I'll be honest and say I don't totally remember the details of that case.
I don't recall how the video got released to the public. I think the guy may have thought all the investigations were over and it was cool to release it.

However it happened, yes, the guy who recorded it has been charged as an accomplice to murder.

Sorry wanted to make sure I was up to speed on the whole thing. First of all the video was actually provided to a news outlet by the suspect via his attorney.

Second my understanding of why there was a delay or no prosecution had to due with a potential tie between the sitting district (Bayhill) attorney and a familial tie with the suspect. Eventually he was recused from the case and Cobb county was assigned the case at which point they had a grand jury.

District attorney's are almost always voted on by citizens. If you are insinuating that the DA let the suspects "pass" I'm not sure how a law/rule would fix the issue. Again, you have bad actors (racist people), in all walks of life. Some hold a lot of power, others are low lifes. Not sure how you legislate that out. The fact that the Democratic party says they can is an empty promise.

The guy arrested (dad) actually had his lawyer send it to a local news station

Again, you have bad actors (racist people), in all walks of life. Some hold a lot of power, others are low lifes. Not sure how you legislate that out.
If you can't see the institutional racism in this case, I guessing that's part of the problem.

If you can't see the institutional racism in this case, I guessing that's part of the problem.
is the concept or structure of a DA, racist? Like an overseer of who gets charged.
Again, struggling to understand why some idiot looking away to "do a favor" makes our institution racist.

let me ask you different but similar question. Is the Breonna Taylor case an example of institutional racism? The black AG (Daniel Cameron) decided not to indict?

is the concept or structure of a DA, racist? Like an overseer of who gets charged.
First off, the death occurred on Feb. 23, 2020. Fast-forward to April 26 - more than two months later, and nobody was charged. In fact, the prosecutor decided that the McMichaels who pursued the victim (a jogger) with shotguns had acted within the scope of Georgia's 'citizen's arrest' statute (even though, bizarrely, there was no burglary) and that Travis McMichael had acted out of self-defense (even though they were the ones with the guns).

Seems a bit 'institutional' when the police informed Aubry's mother than he died in the commission of a burglary and it was all an 'open and shut' case in Brunswick Georgia until a snoopy New York Times reporter and a videotape of the altercation surfaced. Among a number of troubling facts, the Times article pointed out that Gregory McMichael (the father) was retired as a private investigator for the DA's Office (you know, the overseer.)

First off, the death occurred on Feb. 23, 2020. Fast-forward to April 26 - more than two months later, and nobody was charged. In fact, the prosecutor decided that the McMichaels who pursued the victim (a jogger) with shotguns had acted within the scope of Georgia's 'citizen's arrest' statute (even though, bizarrely, there was no burglary) and that Travis McMichael had acted out of self-defense (even though they were the ones with the guns).

Seems a bit 'institutional' when the police informed Aubry's mother than he died in the commission of a burglary and it was all an 'open and shut' case in Brunswick Georgia until a snoopy New York Times reporter and a videotape of the altercation surfaced. Among a number of troubling facts, the Times article pointed out that Gregory McMichael (the father) was retired as a private investigator for the DA's Office (you know, the overseer.)
What was it that happened between February 23rd 2020 and April 26th 2020 that might have slowed things down, and is still causing delays in the justice system... I can’t quite remember... I’ll think of it though.

• Haha
Reactions: fabknight
What was it that happened between February 23rd 2020 and April 26th 2020 that might have slowed things down, and is still causing delays in the justice system... I can’t quite remember... I’ll think of it though.
As the NYT reported on April 26, it was a death that the DA determined fell under the citizens arrest statute. Case closed.

As the NYT reported on April 26, it was a death that the DA determined fell under the citizens arrest statute. Case closed.
Might want to read this. It’s not as simple as “the DA” just decided it should be “case closed.” There was turnover in the prosecution precisely because the first prosecutor originally assigned to the case had an existing professional relationship with the defendant. The second was of the opinion it was a citizen’s arrest case, but also recused himself because of having worked with the father previously. Add Covid breaking out to the timeline of lots of turnover in the case, and there’s your delay.

Racism absolutely played a role in Ahmaud’s death, no doubt about it. But there’s no evidence to suggest that a racist system has done anything to prevent his killers from facing justice.

I don't recall how the video got released to the public. I think the guy may have thought all the investigations were over and it was cool to release it.

However it happened, yes, the guy who recorded it has been charged as an accomplice to murder.
Which I think is stupid. Following in a different car and recording what is happening doesn't really make someone an accomplice to murder.

Which I think is stupid. Following in a different car and recording what is happening doesn't really make someone an accomplice to murder.
The videographer was part of the McDaniels' Posse.
Racism absolutely played a role in Ahmaud’s death, no doubt about it. But there’s no evidence to suggest that a racist system has done anything to prevent his killers from facing justice.
So if the victim had been a white guy jogging through that neighborhood, events would have played out the same way?

The same legal delays? The same next-of-kin notification that the victim died during the commission of a crime? The same patience and/or indifference on the part of local news agencies as to what's going on?

It's people like you who see 'nothing at all amiss' with the scenario that played out there that keep institutionalized racism like this around in places like Brunswick Georgia.

The videographer was part of the McDaniels' Posse.

So if the victim had been a white guy jogging through that neighborhood, events would have played out the same way?

The same legal delays? The same next-of-kin notification that the victim died during the commission of a crime? The same patience and/or indifference on the part of local news agencies as to what's going on?

It's people like you who see 'nothing at all amiss' with the scenario that played out there that keep institutionalized racism like this around in places like Brunswick Georgia.
What part of “racism absolutely played a role in Ahmaud’s death” was unclear to you?

You really don’t read very well. I believe they targeted him because he was black and said exactly that in my comment you quoted.

But you haven’t said anything at all that proves they weren’t charged quickly because he was black. If anything they didn’t get charged quickly because the guy’s connections to the police department and DA’s office made it necessary for prosecutors to recuse themselves so that an impartial prosecutor could be found.

Reactions: fabknight
What part of “racism absolutely played a role in Ahmaud’s death” was unclear to you?
What part of institutionalized racism in this case is unclear to you?

I've yet to hear any credible explanation for why the mother of the jogger was informed by a representative of the city's police department that her son was killed while committing a crime. It wasn't until all this crap got exposed two months later that she learned the truth.

What part of institutionalized racism in this case is unclear to you?

I've yet to hear any credible explanation for why the mother of the jogger was informed by a representative of the city's police department that her son was killed while committing a crime. It wasn't until all this crap got exposed two months later that she learned the truth.
Is there any proof that the police told her that?

Is there any proof that the police told her that?
It was widely reported in interviews last year with the mother.

I don't recall the Brunswick Police Department coming out and disputing her assertions. If you think Mom is lying, maybe you can find a contrary account to 'set the record straight'. :)

I don't recall the Brunswick Police Department coming out and disputing her assertions. If you think Mom is lying, maybe you can find a contrary account to 'set the record straight'. :)
I'm not saying that she was lying, I just know that we've seen dozens of examples of things being reported in the last few years that weren't totally accurate so I'm always skeptical.

A police officer being mistaken about whether or not he was committing a crime is not institutional racism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT