ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia Antivoting Law

You have got to take your hat off to MLB. They moved the All-Star game from a 51% African-American city to quite possibly the whitest city in America in Denver, CO (76% white, 9.2% black) because of “racism." Atlanta and its predominantly black citizens will lose $100 million and Denver gets it. Is this the law of unintended institutional racism?

Also, why does everyone keep saying you need an ID from the DMV. You can actually use your SS# to complete your Absentee ballot. Again, who walks around this country that doesn't have a Social Security number?
The Georgia bill actually allows 13 different ways to prove your eligibility to vote.

Also, why does everyone keep saying you need an ID from the DMV. You can actually use your SS# to complete your Absentee ballot. Again, who walks around this country that doesn't have a Social Security number?
What you need varies from state to state. I think most everyone would agree that we should sufficiently identify a voter. Any disagreement stems from what is necessary to satisfy that threshold and if a voter should be required to obtain at a cost a specific ID that they wouldn’t otherwise need strictly to cast a vote.

What you need varies from state to state. I think most everyone would agree that we should sufficiently identify a voter. Any disagreement stems from what is necessary to satisfy that threshold and if a voter should be required to obtain at a cost a specific ID that they wouldn’t otherwise need strictly to cast a vote.
so why is the argument around this law (one of those) around needing an ID. IDs will be issues for free (no cost) and/or you can use a SS, which I'm fairly sure has zero cost (as i've gone through this process twice in the last 4 years for my kids). Agreed, if you put a charge associated to voting, you are disenfranchising people. I do not see an issue with there is zero cost associated to it and every american should have a SS or DL or Passport and if you dont have any of those things, you can get a free voter ID.

So you'd probably agree that no cost for the ID is pretty reasonable, no?

It's hilarious that this new law makes it so much easier to vote than it was in prior elections before with more stringent laws. However, people are using the 2020 election as the new baseline to how people should vote. 2020 was a total shit show for many reasons including how the election played out, GA needing 2 weeks to declare a winner. Regardless if you believe there was fraud or not, we should strive to be somewhat efficient and competent in our voting process. This law just makes it easier for both people and the state.

So do you have any problem with the Georgia voter law? Or that it's reasonable for anyone to characterize it as Jim Crow?
I’m not familiar with the entirety of the law. If the law makes for a no cost ID to vote than that portion of the law I would classify as positive.

The problem with the Georgia election law is its origin. I will acknowledge that there's nothing inherently wrong with most of the bill. If both sides would have sat down and worked out a compromise (more access) vs (security - voter ID), everybody could have gotten something.

But when its based on combating The Big Lie, it's a non-starter from the get-go. If Republican state senators want to be treated as adults, it starts by acting like adults.

The problem with the Georgia election law is its origin. I will acknowledge that there's nothing inherently wrong with most of the bill. If both sides would have sat down and worked out a compromise (more access) vs (security - voter ID), everybody could have gotten something.

But when its based on combating The Big Lie, it's a non-starter from the get-go. If Republican state senators want to be treated as adults, it starts by acting like adults.
When you say both sides sit down and work on something, isn't that how legislature works? If it were up to ONLY the Republicans in GA do you think this law is different?

Come on man, it's clear there were compromises to make this law both easier to vote, easier/more efficeint to handle elections (not reading signatures), while also keeping security central and key.

Who cares why the law came to be, it should only be judged on the merit of the law. Also, if you remember it tooks GA days if not weeks to report back an actual result. Part of that had to do with how dysfunctional everything was.

Please read the legislation. There is a ban on providing food or water to prospective voters who are in line. This kind of ignorant post does not help the debate.
not true. you read the law. Water can and will be provided to prospective voters. Voters can also bring their own water and snacks. Also prospective voters can walk 150 feet and get free water and food.

Please read the legislation. There is a ban on providing food or water to prospective voters who are in line. This kind of ignorant post does not help the debate.
Lol. So people aren't allowed to bring water? People can't call for door dash to bring them water? The county can't provide water?

Only political operatives are not allowed to provide water. This shouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone.

This. What is in the law isn't really the issue.

Whitey racists wanting to do anything in their power to keep black people from voting them out IS the problem. There is only ONE intent here: to try to keep black people from winning another election in Georgia. That's it.

Lol. So people aren't allowed to bring water? People can't call for door dash to bring them water? The county can't provide water?

Only political operatives are not allowed to provide water. This shouldn't be that big of a deal to anyone.
BANNING WATER***

*** well we're not allowing private people or organizations to provide food and water as a way to electioneer. However, we are allowing them to stand 150 feet away so as to avoid a potentially an unruly group from doing shady things.

Banning water sounds better and fewer characters to type :)

This. What is in the law isn't really the issue.

Whitey racists wanting to do anything in their power to keep black people from voting them out IS the problem. There is only ONE intent here: to try to keep black people from winning another election in Georgia. That's it.
dude that doesn't make any sense whatsover.
If the law isn't racist how are "whiteys" keeping minorities from voting?
You sound so angry man.

dude that doesn't make any sense whatsover.
If the law isn't racist how are "whiteys" keeping minorities from voting?
You sound so angry man.
Intent, Copernicus. White, Georgian, rednecks, are pissed off that they just got schooled in an election by "them damn negros" they've been trying to keep down for hundreds of years.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Intent, Copernicus. White, Georgian, rednecks, are pissed off that they just got schooled in an election by "them damn negros" they've been trying to keep down for hundreds of years.
ok so those rednecks are in the wrong. You don't think there are are racists everywhere? Is every law then born from some form of racism? I mean your thought process is strange.

• Haha
Reactions: chemmie
ok so those rednecks are in the wrong. You don't there are are racists everywhere? Is every law then born from some form of racism? I mean your thought process is strange.
Stop being an idiot in the face of hundreds of years of oppression.

You are quite possibly the dumbest person on this board.

According to Chemmie:

Intent is the only thing that matters. So even if nothing in the law is bad, the law is bad because I *think* the intent is to stop black people from voting, even though the law won’t stop black people from voting.

Stop being an idiot in the face of hundreds of years of oppression.
Got it, so everything is racist. Must've been impossible for my parents who came from Cuba to get ID cards, go to school, get jobs, build a business and become successful with such oppressors like Nixon, Ford and Ronald Regan in power. I'll need to ask them about how the republicans made it impossible to succeed as minorities. I'll get back to you.

Reactions: Knight In TN

According to Chemmie:

Intent is the only thing that matters. So even if nothing in the law is bad, the law is bad because I *think* the intent is to stop black people from voting, even though the law won’t stop black people from voting.
by his train of thought anyone who puts forth gun regulation bills are anti constitutional and anarchists.

You seem to really enjoy including imaginary language disparaging black people that wasn’t uttered by anyone else. It’s pretty offensive, to be honest. You should stop.

Also, whites in Georgia turned on republicans in 2020, not blacks.

You seem to really enjoy including imaginary language disparaging black people that wasn’t uttered by anyone else. It’s pretty offensive, to be honest. You should stop.

Also, whites in Georgia turned on republicans in 2020, not blacks.
Wonder why that happened?

According to Chemmie:

Are you completely oblivious to the history of placing any, and all, blockers up to disenfranchise black voters?

Due to the history, something you believe is a minor deterrent is more than that. There have been studies and data on this. It has an effect on black voters. You should know this.

Georgia's Republicans know this, which is why they implemented the law.

Exactly how is this law make it harder for a black person vs a white person to vote? The msm must of really set this propaganda well.
All those people who believe so much in social participation through voting but don’t have the ability or desire to get any of the many acceptable forms of ID... just totally disenfranchised.*

All those people who believe so much in social participation through voting but don’t have the ability or desire to get any of the many acceptable forms of ID... just totally disenfranchised.*
I would think that the desire to have an ID would be greater than the desire to vote because it allows you to do all sorts of things you otherwise couldn't do.

Wonder why that happened?
White people started listening to the racist white people in government that said blacks and hispanics are incapable or too dumb to get an ID or register to vote via internet and believed it. It's too bad we don't have video evidence of our current president being a racist, if only that existed **

"the problem is institutional racism in america" - Joe
While also being the person who drafted the bill that led to the mass incarceration of black people, which is now what is mostly referenced as systemic racism in our govt. Geez.

Now if only there would have been a member of government who would have forgiven most of the people in prison on drug related crimes, that were put in prison because of this bill.

Man, dem racists and dem whiteys

Reactions: fabknight
White people started listening to the racist white people in government that said blacks and hispanics are incapable or too dumb to get an ID or register to vote via internet and believed it. It's too bad we don't have video evidence of our current president being a racist, if only that existed **

"the problem is institutional racism in america" - Joe
While also being the person who drafted the bill that led to the mass incarceration of black people, which is now what is mostly referenced as systemic racism in our govt. Geez.

Now if only there would have been a member of government who would have forgiven most of the people in prison on drug related crimes, that were put in prison because of this bill.

Man, dem racists and dem whiteys
Wow. Can't believe that guy was the biggest electoral loser since Hoover. Also crazy that his party is at its biggest deficit in affiliation since 2012. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT