ADVERTISEMENT

Getting to 20 recruits...

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
Interesting to see how we get to 20 commits.

We have 11 scheduled to visit in rivals for january with this weekend looking like largest number of visits.

Frost mentioned 20 recruits in recent interview due to 85 scholies limit per school.

Garrett K. wont count against that number and not sure if Luke Hiers who was a gray shirt will bring down number to 19?

Walters said that they have more interest than scholarships. We haven't signed more than 19 people in the last 4 years. People have quit the team or were kicked off. How are we close to 85?

Reactions: UCFhonors
I'm confused about the numbers, I thought UCF could bring in 25? they should push out a few bums off scholly to bring in more talent

I've been pretty confused about the numbers since I started following recruiting, which probably has something to do with sanctions also. It seems like every year we've been saying, "Next year we can bring in a full compliment of talent."

Out of Frost's mouth from OS interview:

Question: Do you have a number of scholarships in mind that you want to fulfill by signing day? I know some kids leave, UCF had a small senior class, I’m wondering if there were any new openings.

Answer: "Well, we’re juggling that number right now. The most initials you can have, the most new kids you can bring in every year is 25. We’re probably not going to get that because the other number you’re always dealing with is you can only have 85 kids on scholarship at any one time. So there’s years where you can be limited by the 85 or be limited by the 25. We’re juggling those numbers right now, but I would assume we’ll bring 20 new guys in here."

Note: GOL's generosity with signing walk-ons to scholarships may have had impact on why we recruited less than 25 but were staying close to 85 schollies.
the team just went 0-12. Frost needs to process a couple off scholarship even if it will make him look like the bad guy to a few loyalists of the last regime, there are a couple charmin soft guys still on the roster that shouldn't be playing at this level. Look at the minimal interest of the few players that have transferred out...they are on D2 teams now

Reactions: UCFSig and Ucfmikes
the team just went 0-12. Frost needs to process a couple off scholarship even if it will make him look like the bad guy to a few loyalists of the last regime, there are a couple charmin soft guys still on the roster that shouldn't be playing at this level. Look at the minimal interest of the few players that have transferred out...they are on D2 teams now

Yeah, don't be Mr. Nice guy Frost, it'll cost you your career. Sign 25 or more (grey, black, gold, pink shirts whatever) and put your team together. Those guy have the rest of the semester paid in full. This is one thing that Donnie does well.

The other part of that interview was when he was asked if anyone was transferring out. He didn't want to comment on that yet. Now that school has started, he should have a more accurate number.

I don't see how we could have 65 scholarship players right now. Unfortunately, not many people graduated this past year.

Also, I don't see how Bo sticks around. The kid is so slow..

Reactions: Ucfmikes
If he takes the scholarships from the walk ons then we lose all the local kids. GOL may not have signed a lot of local talent but he brought in a ton as walk ons.

Out of Frost's mouth from OS interview:

Question: Do you have a number of scholarships in mind that you want to fulfill by signing day? I know some kids leave, UCF had a small senior class, I’m wondering if there were any new openings.

Answer: "Well, we’re juggling that number right now. The most initials you can have, the most new kids you can bring in every year is 25. We’re probably not going to get that because the other number you’re always dealing with is you can only have 85 kids on scholarship at any one time. So there’s years where you can be limited by the 85 or be limited by the 25. We’re juggling those numbers right now, but I would assume we’ll bring 20 new guys in here."
Lots of good posts here. I guess this one is straight from the horses mouth.

Note: GOL's generosity with signing walk-ons to scholarships may have had impact on why we recruited less than 25 but were staying close to 85 schollies.

Mean former walk-ons like:

JJ Worton
Brandon Alexander
Ronnie Weaver
and some others

UCF lost 5 scholarships annually in each of their last 3 plus recruiting classes because of NCAA sanctions...it wasn't because GOL gave a lot of scholarships to a bunch of walk-ons.

Every school, just like UCF, needs walk-ons...and every school has found a very good player or two that end up on scholarship all the time.

Reactions: UCFhonors

JJ Worton
Brandon Alexander
Ronnie Weaver
and some others

UCF lost 5 scholarships annually in each of their last 3 plus recruiting classes because of NCAA sanctions...it wasn't because GOL gave a lot of scholarships to a bunch of walk-ons.

Every school, just like UCF, needs walk-ons...and every school has found a very good player or two that end up on scholarship all the time.
:flush:

Yeah, don't be Mr. Nice guy Frost, it'll cost you your career. Sign 25 or more (grey, black, gold, pink shirts whatever) and put your team together. Those guy have the rest of the semester paid in full. This is one thing that Donnie does well.

Saw some stat that 50% of all D1 basketball players will be cut once in their 4 years of eligibility. Rarely does a football player get cut for not being good enough or "panning out."

So basketball and football are different games when it comes to recruiting.

Anyone suggesting we take away a scholarship from ANYONE, whether they're a former walk-on or was fully offered to come here, is an idiot. A) Football is not a sport where you just take a scholly away just because they're not as good and you want to give it to the shiny new toy that's coming in instead. B) We've found some great gems thru walk-ons, and our lack of schollys has nothing to do with "charity to walk-ons", and more to do with sanctions. It's that simple.

What is the matter with some of you? Sheesh.

I would expect Frost to release some of the rising fifth-year seniors, which should open up some spots. Then there will be a few transfers or players quitting the team. There always are, and with a coaching change I would think it becomes more likely. But there would be some fifth-year seniors on the 2016 roster that haven't contributed much in the 4 years they've been here, and I would think they won't be back. That will help Frost accelerate the process of making this his team, because they are losing very few seniors from the 2015 roster. I count 9 seniors from the 2015 roster that saw game action during their time here.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Anyone suggesting we take away a scholarship from ANYONE, whether they're a former walk-on or was fully offered to come here, is an idiot. A) Football is not a sport where you just take a scholly away just because they're not as good and you want to give it to the shiny new toy that's coming in instead. B) We've found some great gems thru walk-ons, and our lack of schollys has nothing to do with "charity to walk-ons", and more to do with sanctions. It's that simple.

[pfftt]Just an idiot who likes to win.

Yeah, we would not want it out that UCF is a school of integrity or anything. These players committed to UCF, you need to give players their shot to earn their place. Seems to me that it will be difficult for Frost to fill 20 schollies with quality players give the short time he has had to recruit and so far there does not seem to be a plethora of 3 and 4 star players beating down the doors. Let focus, work ethic and attrition/lack of playing time take care of itself.

Yeah, we would not want it out that UCF is a school of integrity or anything. These players committed to UCF, you need to give players their shot to earn their place. Seems to me that it will be difficult for Frost to fill 20 schollies with quality players give the short time he has had to recruit and so far there does not seem to be a plethora of 3 and 4 star players beating down the doors. Let focus, work ethic and attrition/lack of playing time take care of itself.
Is there an integrity trophy we can compete for next year?

I guess you missed that part where Coach Frost said that there was more interest than scholarships and they had to pull back a little.

I know for a fact other programs have done it. It may not be the direct drop of a scholly but they work around it to get the dead weight to leave. Saban would leave them on the injury report even when they were healthy till they left

Last edited:
I vote no on trying to win the niceness trophy. If they suck ( NGE) make them disappear nicely. Frost didn't recruit them. They are from an old regime and Frost is trying to make a name for himself. Why should his career be jeopardized.

Try harder and play better. Life is tough.

Aren't scholarships on a one year basis anyway and not a guaranteed four years? I'm pretty sure GOL has told players they weren't needed anymore and should focus on school instead so he took their scholarship. It was mostly 3 or 4 year guys who either had or were close to getting their degree. Not sure if you can switch the athletic scholarship to an academic one at that point or not.

The ball coach up at UF use to put the pressure on players to leave.

I just paid for my son to take two undergraduate classes at UCF for $1250. Cost of 4 classes is $2500. I see no reason why a fifth year senior shouldn't cover a semester or two with a loan to finish undergraduate degree. Especially considering that preferred walk-ons get room and board for free, correct? At least GOL use to allude to some special benefits for them.

I vote no on trying to win the niceness trophy. If they suck ( NGE) make them disappear nicely. Frost didn't recruit them. They are from an old regime and Frost is trying to make a name for himself. Why should his career be jeopardized.

Try harder and play better. Life is tough.

All I am saying is that new regime, new scheme who knows where some of these athletes might fit. Most gave up offers for full rides to other schools for UCF. Not their fault that GOL is gone. Give them a shot to earn their way. There will be a bunch that leave on their own once they see the handwriting on the wall.

JJ Worton
Brandon Alexander
Ronnie Weaver
and some others

JJ is the epitome of this. He is arguably one of the best receivers we have had at UCF. That may not transfer to the pros but nobody can deny he had a huge impact at UCF. Matt Prater was also a walk on right?

All I am saying is that new regime, new scheme who knows where some of these athletes might fit. Most gave up offers for full rides to other schools for UCF. Not their fault that GOL is gone. Give them a shot to earn their way. There will be a bunch that leave on their own once they see the handwriting on the wall.

Sure.., if they are any good, then keep them. If they aren't, get rid of them. This is nothing new here. It's not going to change the integrity of UCF. It's not Frost's obligation to keep anyone. This has nothing to do with it not being the player's fault that GOL left. It's not Frost's problem. It's life in college football. We are desperately trying to build a winning program here ASAP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT