ADVERTISEMENT

Getting to 20 recruits...

conveniently they will leave out the walk ons or scholarship players that no other D1 school offered that didn't work out.

Frost's first UCF class might have the most signed recruits who had little or no other Div I-A scholarship offers in recent UCF memory...but as long as they end up helping UCF win football games, it won't matter in the long run.

Same is true for many past UCF recruits, who had multiple Div I-A offers, including some with P5 offers, that never lived up to their potential...as for most programs...if you have a 50% "hit" rate on your recruiting class after 3-4 years, you probably did ok.

But yes, UCF was known for having one of the better preferred walk-on programs in our region...as its not too often that walk-ons turn into multi-year starters for any program.

. We are desperately trying to build a winning program here ASAP.

No we are not desperate. you are talking about pulling scholarships from young men who have committed and have worked for this program. You are talking about doing so without any consideration of what it will do to their lives or what their value to the program might actually be. Frost is responsible in part for what happens to these young men, many of whom would never be able to attend college without a scholarship. They deserve better than to be summarily dismissed. Even 0-12 does not make you that desperate

Reactions: Black&GoldKnight
No we are not desperate. you are talking about pulling scholarships from young men who have committed and have worked for this program. You are talking about doing so without any consideration of what it will do to their lives or what their value to the program might actually be. Frost is responsible in part for what happens to these young men, many of whom would never be able to attend college without a scholarship. They deserve better than to be summarily dismissed. Even 0-12 does not make you that desperate
Oh-Really-Now-Please-Tell-Me-More-Man-Meme-Picture-For-Facebook.jpg

Then why the hell doesn't Frost just visit
a foster home or church and just hand out football scholarships to those in need. Isn't that what Saban and Urban Meyer do???

[/QUOTE]
Great name, poor logic! In the real world if you vastly under perform in your job you are "summarily dismissed." Perhaps Coach Frost if he chose this route would be preparing these impressionable young men for the real world. Isn't preparing student athletes for the real world part of a Coach's job?

Great name, poor logic![/QUOTE]

Very poor. You're a young graduate and get a job for a small business as a manager or whatever and you're mediocre at best. The company is sold and the new owner decides to let you go after giving you a chance or even before that based on past reviews that are reliable (like watching the game film of a football player).

Sounds like life to me. Work harder to improve or change professions. Get a new career. Geez.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Doesn't look like we're going to even make 20 commits with shifting of commits BUT quality is definitely better than quantity at this point. We've got a young team that needs good leadership in addition to the speed buildup.

Coach Held is flying back out to California today. still trying to get that QB to visit? seems like they are pushing for him even more than the Louisiana guy

I was anticipating more than 2 commits announced today, but only because we kept hearing about how many were visiting. So to reach 20, they have to get 8 more commits in the next 2 weeks, with a new staff, this late in the game...they might end up taking some kids not real high on any lists. And that's assuming no more flips.

Interesting that the number of O'Leary commits in this class is now down to 3 from 6 with the Kwon flip.

I was anticipating more than 2 commits announced today, but only because we kept hearing about how many were visiting. So to reach 20, they have to get 8 more commits in the next 2 weeks, with a new staff, this late in the game...they might end up taking some kids not real high on any lists. And that's assuming no more flips.

Interesting that the number of O'Leary commits in this class is now down to 3 from 6 with the Kwon flip.
well Kwon was pushed out of the class so the coaches must have a good feeling on the numbers being filled w better talent

it was the official weekend for most of the early rock solid commits. I think that athlete out of St. Pete that also plays Bball will eventually commit to UCF but you never know w his pre existing relationships w coaches at other Programs

well Kwon was pushed out of the class so the coaches must have a good feeling on the numbers being filled w better talent

it was the official weekend for most of the early rock solid commits. I think that athlete out of St. Pete that also plays Bball will eventually commit to UCF but you never know w his pre existing relationships w coaches at other Programs
I'm not so sure about him. He's a TE and TE's aren't used too much in Frost's system. He did recently decommit from Marshall.

So Frost is suppose to risk his career because GOL gave some kid a scholarship when he shouldn't have? GTFOOH[/QUOTE]

If only the world were so black and white as you people pretend it to be.

Does anyone really know why our Kwon Williams De-committed? I don't mean any speculative GOL hate BS, I mean solid reason. His stats seemed to be pretty solid and he was athletic. If Frost told him that he did not fit I get it. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Does anyone really know why our Kwon Williams De-committed? I don't mean any speculative GOL hate BS, I mean solid reason. His stats seemed to be pretty solid and he was athletic. If Frost told him that he did not fit I get it. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure.
I'm curious too. You can find a spot for a solid athlete, offense, defense, special teams. I was looking at the future targets and they are all bigger trench guys.

LB Jonathan Jones Orlando, FloridaOak Ridge 6'0" 207 N/A 3 stars 5.7 N/A
list
OL Jordan Johnson Jacksonville, FloridaEd White 6'3" 260 N/A 3 stars 5.7 N/A
list
TE Pro Wells Kenneth City, FloridaDixie M Hollins 6'5" 210 4.7
N/A N/A
list
DE Kelvin Lucky Elmore, AlabamaEdgewood Academy 6'6" 228 N/A
N/A N/A
list
DT Joshua Bailey Jacksonville, FloridaRaines 6'3" 270 N/A 3 stars 5.5 N/A
list
DE Chibu Onyeukwu San Pablo, CaliforniaContra Costa C.C. 6'5" 255 N/A 2 stars 5.3 N/A
list
DE Eric Mitchell Miami, FloridaMiami Central 6'1" 228 N/A 3 stars 5.5 N/A
list

Getting 18 recruits instead of 20 wont be the end of the world for us. Team needs to focus on learning and demonstrating the kind of football Frost wants to play.

2017 will bring the recruiting classes that we were beginning to see when Kelly was here with no help from amateur agents representing h.s. / a.a.u talent. (Note: That includes some of the loser adults down in south florida.)

that's what happened but they never pulled his offer. the staff must have more than they expected on their board

Getting 18 recruits instead of 20 wont be the end of the world for us. Team needs to focus on learning and demonstrating the kind of football Frost wants to play.

2017 will bring the recruiting classes that we were beginning to see when Kelly was here with no help from amateur agents representing h.s. / a.a.u talent. (Note: That includes some of the loser adults down in south florida.)

We need to max out. We've been under performing for 5 years (less than 19 recruits/year), it's time to get some players.

Black/White. Wins/Losses. Is there something in between?

Yes there is, but if it has to be spelled out to you then there is no point.[/QUOTE]

It's a dead issue. I could give several examples about how trimming the fat by getting rid of a few players/scholarships and building a successful and lucrative program, will help further fund the educations of many hundreds or thousands of students.

I'm curious too. You can find a spot for a solid athlete, offense, defense, special teams. I was looking at the future targets and they are all bigger trench guys.

LB Jonathan Jones Orlando, FloridaOak Ridge 6'0" 207 N/A 3 stars 5.7 N/A
list
OL Jordan Johnson Jacksonville, FloridaEd White 6'3" 260 N/A 3 stars 5.7 N/A
list
TE Pro Wells Kenneth City, FloridaDixie M Hollins 6'5" 210 4.7
N/A N/A
list
DE Kelvin Lucky Elmore, AlabamaEdgewood Academy 6'6" 228 N/A
N/A N/A
list
DT Joshua Bailey Jacksonville, FloridaRaines 6'3" 270 N/A 3 stars 5.5 N/A
list
DE Chibu Onyeukwu San Pablo, CaliforniaContra Costa C.C. 6'5" 255 N/A 2 stars 5.3 N/A
list
DE Eric Mitchell Miami, FloridaMiami Central 6'1" 228 N/A 3 stars 5.5 N/A
list
this outside LB is visiting this weekend. currently committed to FIU but most think it's between Arkansas & UCF

Last edited by a moderator:
Black/White. Wins/Losses. Is there something in between?

Yes there is, but if it has to be spelled out to you then there is no point.[/QUOTE]

Ah, the old "I don't have time" excuse. This is a message board, surely not the place to explain your position. ;)

Yes there is, but if it has to be spelled out to you then there is no point.

It's a dead issue. I could give several examples about how trimming the fat by getting rid of a few players/scholarships and building a successful and lucrative program, will help further fund the educations of many hundreds or thousands of students.[/QUOTE]

You are taking things out of context. All I have ever said is that players have the ability to prove their worth to the program before you summarily dismiss them. There will be lots of attrition no matter what. I think there may be players who were underutilized because they did not fit into the pro-style prototypical player set. Most of the young players have something we need and that is game day experience. For some they were thrown to the wolves and not properly coached up.

It's a dead issue. I could give several examples about how trimming the fat by getting rid of a few players/scholarships and building a successful and lucrative program, will help further fund the educations of many hundreds or thousands of students.

You are taking things out of context. All I have ever said is that players have the ability to prove their worth to the program before you summarily dismiss them. There will be lots of attrition no matter what. I think there may be players who were underutilized because they did not fit into the pro-style prototypical player set. Most of the young players have something we need and that is game day experience. For some they were thrown to the wolves and not properly coached up.[/QUOTE]

Every player should be given at least a look and even an opportunity to perform for a new coach and system unless it's very obvious that they aren't good enough. So.., we do agree on that. However, beyond that, Frost owes them nothing.

I doubt that we get Viramontes. Blocker visits in 2 weeks and only has 1 other offer, Alabama State.
Viramontes won't decide till signing day.

Blocker was supposed to visit last weekend and it got delayed. I think the staff is taking a swing at a few that are higher on their QB board, Viramontes obviously & this QB from Hawaii. He got injured during his Senior season that cooled his recruiting momentum, otherwise his offer list would be much longer.

Last edited:
Correct. And I'm talking both about where we should have been after the Fiesta Bowl win and the future. I understand the situation we are in at this moment (Hitt is partially responsible for this but has done a good turnaround. We have benefited by picking up Scott at later date). Also, I understand why Houston is looked at highly from Big 12. We need to turn things around quickly and it is beginning to happen considering the short window of recruiting for new staff. As many have commented, the old staff wasn't appealing to the recruits we needed to move forward for multiple reasons. What GOL did for this program was outstanding. He coached his butt off in the Fiesta Bowl but his time was up. Better times ahead. Just look at some of the highlight tapes of recruits starting to come in and how Frost will use them in UCFast offense.

With Lucky at DE we would have 13 commitments, still far off from 20 :)

Reactions: baselinetom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT