ADVERTISEMENT

GOL - If you want to be Top 25, I am not your guy.

Slappy_Knight

Two-Star Recruit
May 29, 2001
If you want to be Top 100 and last in all of college football in offense a decade into coaching a program, then I'm your guy!

GOL Supporters:
Happy with the status quo
Happy to reward past success not matter the future cost and damage
Not forward thinking and innovative, happy with old school philosophy
Ok with shrinking attendance and disconnect between fan base and HC
Ok with AD instability
Ok with a clone of GOL to take over as HC with no HC experience

NON GOL Supporters:

Appreciate what GOL has done for us and know he has taken things as far as he can. That is all a man can do. The sun has set. The train has left the station. Time to collect retirement and social security and live life.
Are forward thinking and know the real cost and damage being done now. Loss of future conference affiliation and potential revenue.
Want a coach that has something to prove, is innovative, and can relate with the fan base
Want a coach that can work as a team with a qualified AD

What GOL and NON GOL supporters can agree upon - the product on the field is simply unacceptable. What are we going to do about it???? If GOL being our coach or negotiating a deal w P5 on behalf of UCF is not requirement for us to get into P5 in the very near future, then what makes him any different that any other coach we could have? The next step for UCF is P5 affiliation. Everything else is status quo.

I think that's what the nutt huggers, I mean O'Leary supporters, don't understand: we're all appreciative for what O'Leary has done for this program, no doubt. But it's time for a change. It was time for a change last year. The recruiting hasn't been there for 2 years, and that's just one of many things that need to change.

Yeah, he has been good for us. Great, I dare say. But that doesn't make him irreplaceable. Let's count our blessings, be happy for what we have gotten, and embrace change.

... GOL Supporters:
Happy with the status quo
Happy to reward past success not matter the future cost and damage ...
This is just utter garbage.

As far as "future cost and damage," playing Freshmen and getting them valuable experience is not what was planned, but what has happened ... even beyond the worst case scenario. If the Freshmen aren't producing by half-way next year, then yes, hold GoL accountable.

But seriously ... 3 games in? With all the injuries? Let the Freshmen play and learn, then see what they can do for our future.

Not forward thinking and innovative, happy with old school philosophy
APR over on-the-field ... I will put my money on that every, single time.

But we have had APR and on-the-field. Many other programs ... P5 programs ... would kill for that! At least some of their players attempt to. ;)

Ok with shrinking attendance and disconnect between fan base and HC
Huh? Okay ... yeah, um ... attendance has been up since GoL arrived. Sorry, but ... no.

Ok with AD instability
Wait?! It's one thing to blame GoL for the "issues" this year at AD. But for the "instability"? That wasn't GoL.

I'd be happy if Orsini was still here. As I understand it, that was not GoL's doing. Tribble? Not even going to give that another word.

I think that's what the nutt huggers, I mean O'Leary supporters, don't understand: we're all appreciative for what O'Leary has done for this program, no doubt. But it's time for a change. It was time for a change last year. The recruiting hasn't been there for 2 years, and that's just one of many things that need to change.
Yeah, he has been good for us. Great, I dare say. But that doesn't make him irreplaceable. Let's count our blessings, be happy for what we have gotten, and embrace change.
You haven't heard a word we've said. You literally have told everyone ...

"Our coach is having a bad year ... he needs to go now! He's ruined our program."

I've never seen a more on-a-whim attitude. If we go 0-12 and start 1-3 or 0-4 next year, yeah, I'm on the train. But not until then.

^^^^ignores 2014, our rebuilding year, where we started underperforming. Now we SERIOUSLY underperform and he wants another year.
Exactly!

To you ... 2014 was "under-performing." Going 7-1 in-conference is not enough.

HINT: Even Boise often loses 1 game in its conference.
It's fans like you that will destroy the program. Because what you want every year is statistically and extremely difficult.

Exactly!

To you ... 2014 was "under-performing." Going 7-1 in-conference is not enough.

HINT: Even Boise often loses 1 game in its conference.
It's fans like you that will destroy the program. Because what you want every year is statistically and extremely difficult.

You're not going to get through to C-Mont, UCFBS. He thinks GOL is personally responsible for Ereck Plancher's death. You can't reason with someone like C-Mont.

We are 0-3 with a ton of injuries, young players and unexpected losses and graduating players. Can't we just relax? I'll worry if we start the same next year.

We have been one of the winningest programs in college football for 3 years
Look it up!

^^^^ignores 2014, our rebuilding year, where we started underperforming. Now we SERIOUSLY underperform and he wants another year.

You're all about the "me" generation and wanting things done "right now"
Sorry.., GOL isn't going anywhere and the world doesn't work how you perceive it to work, so relax for a season.

"It's all about me me me me me!"

Fire GOL now now now, because that's what I think is best and it's all about me me me!"

First of all, not everyone on your side is appreciative for what O'Leary has done. Second, maybe you didn't notice, but we won the conference title last season (yes, it was a three-way tie, who cares, still a conference title). If not for the hiccup against UConn, who knows, we could've had a second appearance in the Fiesta Bowl last season.

"The recruiting hasn't been there for 2 years?" How would you know? The players who have been signed the last two years are freshmen/sophomores. Kind of unfair to evaluate them based on only the first year or two of their careers. Back in 2004, some players that played on the 0-11 team went on to play in C-USA championship games in 2005 and 2007, but by your logic, I guess those players were all recruiting failures. I guess Blake Bortles and other younger players from the 5-win 2011 team that went on to win the Fiesta Bowl were recruiting failures, too.

Someone will eventually have to take over for GOL, sure. You can say that about every head coach that's ever lived. The question is when. As I've said more than once before, I don't think an 0-3 start justifies dumping a head coach who has led us to some tremendous accomplishments over a course of more than a decade. I think you folks that want GOL gone right this second are far too hasty.

This is just utter garbage.

As far as "future cost and damage," playing Freshmen and getting them valuable experience is not what was planned, but what has happened ... even beyond the worst case scenario. If the Freshmen aren't producing by half-way next year, then yes, hold GoL accountable.

But seriously ... 3 games in? With all the injuries? Let the Freshmen play and learn, then see what they can do for our future.

APR over on-the-field ... I will put my money on that every, single time.

But we have had APR and on-the-field. Many other programs ... P5 programs ... would kill for that! At least some of their players attempt to. ;)

Huh? Okay ... yeah, um ... attendance has been up since GoL arrived. Sorry, but ... no.

Wait?! It's one thing to blame GoL for the "issues" this year at AD. But for the "instability"? That wasn't GoL.

I'd be happy if Orsini was still here. As I understand it, that was not GoL's doing. Tribble? Not even going to give that another word.
APR over on-the-field? Wow...

This is O'Leary s third slide and its the most dramatic. When you build a program and improve the talent you recruit should improve as well. If he's run out of hires to sustain this then a new regime is needed. What better than to eliminate them now, give the keys to an interim with no chance and allow time to hire a coach and start over from scratch with time to recruit.

Reactions: jetsaholic
First of all, not everyone on your side is appreciative for what O'Leary has done. Second, maybe you didn't notice, but we won the conference title last season (yes, it was a three-way tie, who cares, still a conference title). If not for the hiccup against UConn, who knows, we could've had a second appearance in the Fiesta Bowl last season.

"The recruiting hasn't been there for 2 years?" How would you know? The players who have been signed the last two years are freshmen/sophomores. Kind of unfair to evaluate them based on only the first year or two of their careers. Back in 2004, some players that played on the 0-11 team went on to play in C-USA championship games in 2005 and 2007, but by your logic, I guess those players were all recruiting failures. I guess Blake Bortles and other younger players from the 5-win 2011 team that went on to win the Fiesta Bowl were recruiting failures, too.

Someone will eventually have to take over for GOL, sure. You can say that about every head coach that's ever lived. The question is when. As I've said more than once before, I don't think an 0-3 start justifies dumping a head coach who has led us to some tremendous accomplishments over a course of more than a decade. I think you folks that want GOL gone right this second are far too hasty.
What you're saying is that you're ok with having a rebuilding year every now and then as long as there is palpable success in between and I don't agree with that. A good program doesn't have rebuilding years. A good program has winning seasons year in and year out. I'm not talking championships, I'm talking winning. If said winning brings a championship, then that's even better, but this program should be an 7-10 win program every year. At least, to me, it should be. There's just too many resources available that make not meeting that expectation a complete failure. If we win 7 of the remining 9? Winning season, bowl game, = awesome. But I don't see that.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
What you're saying is that you're ok with having a rebuilding year every now and then as long as there is palpable success in between and I don't agree with that. A good program doesn't have rebuilding years. A good program has winning seasons year in and year out. I'm not talking championships, I'm talking winning. If said winning brings a championship, then that's even better, but this program should be an 7-10 win program every year. At least, to me, it should be. There's just too many resources available that make not meeting that expectation a complete failure. If we win 7 of the remining 9? Winning season, bowl game, = awesome. But I don't see that.

Totally agree. As long as we are in a non P5 conference, we should be pretty dominant and consistent with the resources we have. Winning seasons should be automatic. We may not always win conference championships and go to a big bowl but we should have two winnable nonconference games every year and at least go to some sort of bowl after conference play. We should be demonstrating that we are beyond non P5 competition a majority of the time.

That is what people don't understand, especially those who are ok with real bad down years.

Reactions: jetsaholic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT