ADVERTISEMENT

Nm

Honest question. I saw someone ask this on twitter, but I cant find an answer too. How is Florida counting their vaccination rate? Because, they did make vaccines available to snowbirds who are not permanent residents and not counted in the overall population of the state. Are they counting these people as part of their vaccination rate? Because if so, then that means the vax rate of the permanent residents could be quite a bit lower than they are reporting, which might be a reason why they are struggling more than most other states with similar official vaccine #s.

So this just happens to show the exact opposite by happenstance?
Florida changed how they report deaths recently. Rather than reporting new deaths they file them under the date the death occurred. So deaths reported today probably occurred weeks ago. Which is why the most recent dates show very few.

So this just happens to show the exact opposite by happenstance?

Well someones #s are wrong, I dont know who, but the NYT chart is showing he is correct.

I don’t blame any politician for any amount of cases or deaths at this point. Vaccines are literally available for free in any direction you throw a rock. It comes down to individuals choosing basic common sense - or not - and then dealing with the consequences either way.

So far the unvaccinated are being absolutely demolished by the consequences. I wonder if it was worth it.

Who is lying here?

That chart seems off from most everything else when I look it up, but it could just be a reporting issue as Jeremy alluded to. It is possible the NYT's has more sources in hospitals or local health departments giving them faster information, while the official state reports arent accurate and updated until a couple of weeks out. I dont know for sure.

That chart seems off from most everything else when I look it up, but it could just be a reporting issue as Jeremy alluded to. It is possible the NYT's has more sources in hospitals or local health departments giving them faster information, while the official state reports arent accurate and updated until a couple of weeks out. I dont know for sure.
Well if that's the case, the NYT article is comparing apples to oranges because the method of reporting changed.

Well if that's the case, the NYT article is comparing apples to oranges because the method of reporting changed.

Huh? THey are reporting deaths. If 10 people died today and they reported it, how is that comparing apples to oranges? It would be a fact.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Huh? THey are reporting deaths. If 10 people died today and they reported it, how is that comparing apples to oranges? It would be a fact.
If they changed the way they are reporting things, you can't compare earlier reporting to more recent reporting.

If they changed the way they are reporting things, you can't compare earlier reporting to more recent reporting.

Jeremy was saying the state of Florida was changing the way they are reporting things, not the NYTimes. But it isnt a comparison. Either 10 people died today or 10 people didnt die today. The timing of the reporting doesnt change the # of people who died on a certain day, it just changes when it is reported.

Jeremy was saying the state of Florida was changing the way they are reporting things, not the NYTimes. But it isnt a comparison. Either 10 people died today or 10 people didnt die today. The timing of the reporting doesnt change the # of people who died on a certain day, it just changes when it is reported.
I know. Did Florida go back and retroactively change the numbers from last year? If not, then it isnt a good comparison.

Why would they change #s? Did those people not die last year?
Do you even try to think before you post?

The Yahoo article says the daily deaths are higher now than they've ever been. Jeremy said that may be because they changed how the state reports deaths. If they didn't retroactively go back and change the dates of the deaths in 2020 to reflect the change, then it isn't a good comparison and the whole article is bunk.

The Yahoo article says the daily deaths are higher now than they've ever been. Jeremy said that may be because they changed how the state reports deaths. If they didn't retroactively go back and change the dates of the deaths in 2020 to reflect the change, then it isn't a good comparison and the whole article is bunk.

YOu are arguing something that doesnt even really matter. Who cares about the actual daily # of people who died on a specific day? IF 500 people died yesterday, and 0 died today, it doesnt change the fact that 500 people were dead in 2 days. You are arguing for arguments sake, whether the daily #s this year are reported exactly like last year doesnt change the fact they are dying. When talking about averages the precise # per day doesnt matter, the average is what matters.

YOu are arguing something that doesnt even really matter. Who cares about the actual daily # of people who died on a specific day? IF 500 people died yesterday, and 0 died today, it doesnt change the fact that 500 people were dead in 2 days. You are arguing for arguments sake, whether the daily #s this year are reported exactly like last year doesnt change the fact they are dying. When talking about averages the precise # per day doesnt matter, the average is what matters.
No, that's what the NYT story did and I'm pointing out the flaw in it.

Up until a couple weeks ago new deaths were reported and the tracking sites updated based on the report date. Recently they changed to a more accurate reporting method that ties the newly reported deaths to some past day potentially weeks before. This better reflects the state of the situation from several weeks ago, but means the recent days will not be accurate until several weeks from now.

It means the worldreference chart will change as more deaths from Today are reported. We won’t know how many died Today until sept 10 or so

Up until a couple weeks ago new deaths were reported and the tracking sites updated based on the report date. Recently they changed to a more accurate reporting method that ties the newly reported deaths to some past day potentially weeks before. This better reflects the state of the situation from several weeks ago, but means the recent days will not be accurate until several weeks from now.
So it's safe to say that comparing the reporting from today is not the same as the reporting from a year ago, correct?

I see all the complaints about the changes to the guidelines and how Fauci et al. say one thing Today and something different tomorrow. Do you realize that they are still trying to figure out how Covid behaves and how to control it? When they find something that works, the virus mutates and they have to start again going back to the original playbook (masks, social distancing, etc).
I guess the same people complain when hurricanes shift at the last moment and go offshore instead of hitting FL

I see all the complaints about the changes to the guidelines and how Fauci et al. say one thing Today and something different tomorrow. Do you realize that they are still trying to figure out how Covid behaves and how to control it? When they find something that works, the virus mutates and they have to start again going back to the original playbook (masks, social distancing, etc).
I guess the same people complain when hurricanes shift at the last moment and go offshore instead of hitting FL
They are the same people.

Now Florida is in 2nd place in terms of death rate. Good job Desantis

Given our population age and being the 3rd largest state....ok. What's dementia man's plan?
LMAO....When I read UCF11and1's post about Florida's COVID death rate, I said to myself, "yeah, but KNIGHTTIME will respond with "it's all dementia man's fault." I was pretty damn close!!! :)

He said he had a plan. Just waiting for the double secret probation plan.
There have been a few Governors who've come up with (IMHO) the best plan: Chud Lotteries!

Stupid, poor people love wasting their money on those things. Give em' a free ticket to a million dollar lottery for getting their COVID shots.

Given our population age and being the 3rd largest state....ok. What's dementia man's plan? If you're talking about a short period per capita rate...yeah we were in a surge and likely on our way down.
I’m just waiting to see what they’ll say when Florida’s surge ends and everyone else’s starts.

Last edited:
Given our population age and being the 3rd largest state....ok. What's dementia man's plan? If you're talking about a short period per capita rate...yeah we were in a surge and likely on our way down.
Couple things Dementia man doesn’t control: health and education. Founding fathers gave the control to the states.

BTW, which part of “death rate” you don’t get? Desantis eliminated the rules (masks mandates, distancing and occupancy limits) that cities and counties enacted and we went from #26 or so to #2 (just like usf). I saw 1,700 deaths for the week

Over 63% of of Florida eligible residents had at least one shot. This going down to 12 years old that really don't need the risk of the shot. We are surging even with our high vaccination rates. The vaccinations are supposedly lowering icu care, but doesn't look like vaccinations by themselves will stop it. Going to take a lot of natural immunities and probably still need to live with the china virus lingering.
Fifty-some percent is not a high vaccination rate.70% was the estimated minimum needed

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Over 63% of of Florida eligible residents had at least one shot. This going down to 12 years old that really don't need the risk of the shot. We are surging even with our high vaccination rates. The vaccinations are supposedly lowering icu care, but doesn't look like vaccinations by themselves will stop it. Going to take a lot of natural immunities and probably still need to live with the china virus lingering.
Stop making shit up

Fifty-some percent is not a high vaccination rate.70% was the estimated minimum needed
If you include all kids, 0-11, as well as 12-15 or even 16-17 too. Israeli is well beyond that.

But as the NEJM study showed even before Delta, with only a 37-43% reduction in secondary transmission with mRNA vaccination, is not remotely sufficient for ending the pandemic. That basically as the first sign, as I said early on ...

SARS-CoV-2 is the new HCoV-OC43

Unless we have something that can duplicate sterilizing, natural immunity in the upper respiratory tract, it's going to be with us. We won't even achieve effective, herd immunity. IgG-predominate mRNA vaccines that really only protect serious illness via the blood just aren't going to work.

Even the US NIH pointed that out way back in 2020 July, and Time magazine warned us in 2021 February. We were hoping we'd gain natural immunity with IgA and IgM antibodies after the vaccinated were exposed, because they usually didn't seriously diseased because of IgG anti-bodies. But that ended up being proven false well before Delta hit, and it's only getting worse.

Because we let people go without distancing and masks and, sure enough, even the vaccinated kicked the spread into high gear within 5 weeks. It's not just Delta people. It's the fact that the vaccinated spread it, like they always have, even original Wuhan-1 and Alpha, not just Delta, and heavily so.

Lockdowns were stupid. But distancing and masks to prevent widespread ejection, was smart. Unfortunately we had not only the worst messaging, but 3rd grader logic that was utterly wrong, and now fewer and fewer people trust the authorities that pushed that false, incorrect narrative.

YouTube and others have been banning Dr. Rand Paul, MD who purposely not only chose his words wisely, but more 'offensively,' had links in his description to the fully peer reviewed studies that showcased how cloth masks virtually don't prevent infection of the wearer at all. That's why he said he's 'wearing his banning like a badge of honor.' He literally, and very carefully, stated all the facts and truth.

We're literally banning peer reviewed studies at this point, anything that informed people that they are actually increasing the spread by following US and Social media proliferated information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boston.Knight
So this kind of doesn't make sense. That statement from Fauci came out before the Delta variant. If you go by the numbers on the Alpha variants R/0, it should have only been in the low 50s. Granted, the Delta is almost 3 times as contagious with an R/0 of 6 so 70% makes a lot more sense now, it's just odd that the virus adjusted to the projection.

Now Florida is in 2nd place in terms of death rate. Good job Desantis

I know that the blogs you read love to pump lies and misinformation about DeSantis but this is not remotely true and took 2 seconds to look up

Florida is nowhere near the top and the 2nd highest death rate belongs to the progressive bastion of NY

Until we seal the border, I don't want to hear about it being out of control. There never was any stopping the Man made Wuhan Flu.

I know that the blogs you read love to pump lies and misinformation about DeSantis but this is not remotely true and took 2 seconds to look up

Florida is nowhere near the top and the 2nd highest death rate belongs to the progressive bastion of NY
I am not 15, I don’t read blogs and I don’t listen to podcasts. I get my news from newspapers

In any case, second highest 7-day death rate in the US (from the OS):
There is a reason I mentioned usf, their 2nd place also lasted a week

I am not 15, I don’t read blogs and I don’t listen to podcasts. I get my news from newspapers

In any case, second highest 7-day death rate in the US (from the OS):
There is a reason I mentioned usf, their 2nd place also lasted a week

Wait, you mean to tell me that COVID has gone in waves throughout different parts of the country? No way!

This isn't what you said, either. You said FL now had the 2nd highest death rate, not that FL had the 2nd highest 7 day moving average death rate.

Another trash article. Taking 7 day snapshots and drawing comparisons is hilariously bad but it must be done because DeathSantis and stuff.

Never mind the fact that FL is mere middle of the road in terms of US State death rates, despite having a huge population AND the most senior populace in the nation.

NY has the same population as FL yet has 2x the deaths, and yet the media only clutches their pearls when talking about FLORIDA COVID!. Hilarious.

Reactions: sk8knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT