ADVERTISEMENT

One Stop Portal Shop

Hard to fault a guy for leaving who will now get to play against some of the best teams in the country.

Full retard on twitter with regards to recruiting. I just saw a post from some recruiting site "breaking" that some kid is not entering the transfer portal.

Going to plug Haynes King again. He isn't getting much traction in the portal, but he is athletically similar -- if not superior (better 40 time and shuttle run) -- to JRP. I am not in love but HK, but I think he is the perfect complement to JRP and has a good relationship with Gus Malzahn. I think he is within UCF's reach.

Going to plug Haynes King again. He isn't getting much traction in the portal, but he is athletically similar -- if not superior (better 40 time and shuttle run) -- to JRP. I am not in love but HK, but I think he is the perfect complement to JRP and has a good relationship with Gus Malzahn. I think he is within UCF's reach.

Pass. I’d rather roll w/ JRP, TC and Timmy. I watched a few TAMU games where he played. Watching him in that App St game was just awful.

Reactions: tjb74
I watched a few TAMU games where he played. Watching him in that App St game was just awful.
I have a few quick takes on his time at Texas A&M.

I don't think he fit Jimbo Fisher's offense, and he had an inordinate amount of pressure on him as a sophomore. While he doesn't have the greatest of career numbers, he did have an incredible game against uat @tuscaLOSER.

As far as Pros...
He is a bigger, stronger version of JRP.
He throws an incredible deep ball.
He throws as well on the run as any quarterback in the portal.
He has exceptional footwork, work effort, and personality.

As far as Cons...
His decision making skills need work.
He forces the deep ball into double coverage rather than taking the easy outlet underneath (every throw has to be a touchdown pass).
He struggles mightily on third downs.

Gus's offense is better suited to King's natural tendencies since there are just as few intermediate routes as third-down conversions against good defenses.

Last edited:
I think he’s arguing you can’t just look at stats and say its an upgrade. Its all opinion. No one really wins sports arguments.
I guess it's better to have someone that really knows the sport yet just happens to never make the play?

PS, guy (guys) left the team, why must you continue to whine? Far better to say, didn't fit in with the staff, or actually be factually critical, at the time of moving on, then quit being a whiny child and move on.

Last edited:
unless the Coastal Carolina QB has interest I say go forward w our current depth chart plus recruit(s)
I am all for doing whatever Gus thinks is best.

As it stands now, UCF's immediate Big12 future relies on the 41st-ranked transfer QB of 2021, the 55th-ranked transfer QB of 2022, and the 20th-ranked high school "athlete" of the Class of 2022, per On3 transfer rankings.

(FWIW, JRP was the 17th-ranked transfer quarterback in 2021, per 24/7 rankings.)

Last edited:
We definately need one more guy.....whether it is Singleton or a portal guy. I'll still say Malik Hornsby is a better fit than King, ranked higher on every scale I've see, and has a relationship with Gus (as King does). But he is going to Neb this weekend so we might be too late.

We definitely need one more guy.....whether it is Singleton or a portal guy. I'll still say Malik Hornsby is a better fit than King, ranked higher on every scale I've see, and has a relationship with Gus (as King does). But he is going to Neb this weekend so we might be too late.
I think Hornsby's situation depends on Jeff Sim's decision, which depends on Casey Thompson's decision.

Thompson has the option to transfer again or play for Matt Rhule. Simms wants to be a starter somewhere and has two seasons to play. If Thompson leaves, Sims will take over at Nebraska and Hornsby will look elsewhere. If Thompson stays, Sims will look elsewhere, and Hornsby will commit to the Huskers.

Hornsby is willing to sit for a year to be developed as a QB. At Arkansas in Kendal Briles' system, "He wasn’t really developed as much as we would have liked for him to have gotten a chance to be developed at quarterback because of the offense and the system,” said J.P. Tillman, Hornsby's personal trainer/QB coach. “We thought it would be a little different and a little better for him. The way we wanted to be nurtured and developed wasn’t that.”

Gus runs a system similar to Briles'. So if Hornsby "wasn't developed" at Arkansas, I doubt he will get considerably more development at UCF.

The son of a high school head football coach, Haynes King, meanwhile, was tutored by "QB guru" Jimbo Fisher for two years. King played from the pocket far more than his skill set required at Texas A&M. He is as polished as it gets. Plus, he doesn't have any suitors lined up that I am aware of. So in terms of 'fit' he is the best available.

King is a consensus Top 25 transfer portal QB for this cycle. He isn't the "long term" answer, but neither is any other quarterback currently on the UCF roster. (I will catch h*ll for that last statement.)

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: U C to the F
Meh, he hasn't developed a single QB at A&M so it's safe to say he is no guru. And yes, other moves must be played before Hornsby could fall to us....but that is the same with King too. We won't be a first choice for any top QB prospects, but someone may fall to us in the right circumstances.

And anyone who doesn't think we need another QB to compete consider the following:

1. JP is not a full time QB (baseball), might get drafted by a MLB team, and gets hurt alot
2. McClain has shown that he isn't afraid to transfer out immediately if he doesn't get the starting job
3. TC is a total unknown and was woefully un-prepared to play more than a few snaps
4. Rizk will probably not be ready to see more than token action
5. All that is left are clipboard guys

Reactions: Wings0fred
We won't be a first choice for any top QB prospects, but someone may fall to us in the right circumstances.
I agree with everything you said, including the statement above. UCF desperately needs a more seasoned player in the QB room this spring.

I just prefer King over Hornsby "on paper" because King is a better athlete...

bigger (6'2.5" 195 vs 6'2', 175),
faster (4.5 vs. 4.74 forties),
quicker (4.02 vs. 4.51 short shuttle),
more explosive (36.9 " vs. 28.7" verticals)
more seasoned (3-year HS starter/2-year college starter vs. 2-year HS starter/one college start)

But...

Hornsby has been a better decision-maker. He had only four career interceptions in high school; King had 17. That is a monumental amount of turnovers. Gus will definitely need to reign in King's decision-making like Gus did with Nick Marshall, who threw 20 interceptions in his one year of junior college.

I think UCF has a clearer path to King, who is a better fit IMO. The biggest threat to sign King, outside of UCF, is probably Arizona State because Kenny Dillingham was King's lead recruiter at Auburn, followed by one of the lessor Texas programs, like Houston.

Lastly who wouldn't want a quarterback with the last name KING on his UCF jersey?

Last edited:
Gus runs a system similar to Briles'. So if Hornsby "wasn't developed" at Arkansas, I doubt he will get considerably more development at UCF.

The son of a high school head football coach, Haynes King, meanwhile, was tutored by "QB guru" Jimbo Fisher for two years. King played from the pocket far more than his skill set required at Texas A&M. He is as polished as it gets. Plus, he doesn't have any suitors lined up that I am aware of. So in terms of 'fit' he is the best available.

King is a consensus Top 25 transfer portal QB for this cycle. He isn't the "long term" answer, but neither is any other quarterback currently on the UCF roster. (I will catch h*ll for that last statement.)
There are no long-term answers in college football.

Curious to see if Grier sticks with us, seems like he has a great relationship with T Will and praised him non stop during that interview with Brandon.
Imagine not, and will have trouble retaining the recruits next week.

Sounds like you are high on him. Would he be an automatic starter at OG or OT if he transferred in??
No doubt. He is a true SEC player. He was a third team PFF All-SEC selection at RG in 2021. He would take Sam Jackson's spot and UCF wouldn't miss a beat.

There is still a chance he returns to Auburn though. He came to Auburn with Tank Bigsby and now Tank has declared for the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjb74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT