ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fair question: What’s there to do in Lincoln, Nebraska

Not enough to not leave your little slice of heaven though.
I cannot believe Nebraska fans are trying to argue about Omaha/Lincoln being better than Orlando. I'm sorry, but no, absolutely and unequivocally you are wrong. It's totally up to what you value, but if you want a cosmopolitan experience with the ability to essentially do ANYTHING you want, Orlando is a great place to be. If you value diversity at all, Nebraska is not a place you want to live, especially in comparison to Orlando. Hell, all the major metros in the state have this in common, especially in compared to Nebraska. My girlfriend just got back from visiting Nebraska to visit where her late-grandmother was from, and she said that there was absolutely nothing of value to living there before coming home. She was in fact a little concerned by how people acted there, with people treating her poorly at restaurants and bars because her and her family were from out of state. I'll tell you want, Floridians don't give a shit about treating people "extra nice" (bullshit), we treat everyone with the same baseline of respect but you'll get your ass kicked if you act like how a lot of your fans act here.

I get that Frost has his own reasons for considering to go back, he's from there but his perspective is different. But if we look at most measures, everything Nebraska has Florida has but better, with more options and variety.

Born and raised Nebraska 1989. Attended the University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Got a B.S. in Nutr / Exercise / Health Sciences; B.S. in Dietetics and Emp in Gerontology. I love Lincoln, the city itself is just big enough but not to big. Omaha is about 30 minutes from our home as we live on the outskirts of Lincoln. My wife and I travel twice a year and visiting big cities is nice but after a week or so it is just over whelming and I like my peace and quiet. We make a combined 90k / year and that 90k goes a ton further here then what it would in Orlando that is a known fact. My quality of life is outstanding!

I can get to any where I want in 15-20, that cannot happen in Orlando that is for sure. Omaha has a ton of stuff and KC is a hop and skip 3 hours down the road. Chicago is 7ish which has everything Orlando has. But again I enjoy the simple life. My friend who travels all the time his parents are pretty loaded says "I've been to huge cities, I've been all over the US and the world and while those places are nice that get to but too much moving and going and way to much fast paced lifestyle". "For a week it is good but after that the time traveling between big cities and driving is over whelming and way to much".

So it seems you have many activities for children and then you are claiming NFL and MLB teams from other cities?

Then I suppose by that fuzzy logic, Nebraska has some of the best skiing in the world as well as two NFL teams, two MLB Franchises plus the NBA and NHL.

It would also be remiss of me to fail to mention that we are the home of KC Syle BBQ.

Wow. Okay. I'll type slower so your obviously aged eyes can keep up....

Activities for children? Have you ever been to the theme parks around here? Hulk, Mantis, Kracken, Rocking, Gwazi, Cheetah Hunt.... Know what all those have in common? They are amoung the best roller coasters in the world. Ever heard of drinking around the world at Epcot or their twice a year Food and Wine Festivals? Know anyone who wants to get started as a marine biologist? Try Sea World. Besides, what's wrong with being young at heart? Well, i would imagine life in Nebraska has taught you that enjoying life after 30 is not really allowed since that is approaching old age out there.

Claiming teams from other cities? There are multiple posts in this thread talking about the area we live in, Central Florida. There is also reference to how close cities in your neck of the corn fields are in this thread so anything you can drive to and back from in the same day and have an enjoyable time when you get there is considered part of what can be enjoyed. That puts Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami in our collective backyard meaning we have access to a total of 9 or more professional teams and at least 7 top level college programs.

Fuzzy logic? Do they even teach Logic at Nebraska in between Plowing and Shucking classes? Please do list the various sports you can engage in that are a 3 hours or less drive from NU.

Don't get me started on cuisine... There is EVERY STYLE of food here to eat to the point that you could have dinner at a different eatery each night for years, never have the same thing twice and feel like you have traveled the world. You know why? People from all around the world move here and bring their culture and food with them.

So why won't Frost want to stay? Two very simple reasons. His parents live in Nebraska and due to the cartel that runs college football UCF will have a very hard time, if not impossible time, of playing for a National Championship. That's it and I really don't blame him if he goes. From what the UCF media director says on his daily radio talk show, Frost is extremely conflicted on what to do and has been feeling a great deal of anxiety over this decision.

Reactions: BigRedFlood
Born and raised Nebraska 1989. Attended the University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Got a B.S. in Nutr / Exercise / Health Sciences; B.S. in Dietetics and Emp in Gerontology. I love Lincoln, the city itself is just big enough but not to big. Omaha is about 30 minutes from our home as we live on the outskirts of Lincoln. My wife and I travel twice a year and visiting big cities is nice but after a week or so it is just over whelming and I like my peace and quiet. We make a combined 90k / year and that 90k goes a ton further here then what it would in Orlando that is a known fact. My quality of life is outstanding!

I can get to any where I want in 15-20, that cannot happen in Orlando that is for sure. Omaha has a ton of stuff and KC is a hop and skip 3 hours down the road. Chicago is 7ish which has everything Orlando has. But again I enjoy the simple life. My friend who travels all the time his parents are pretty loaded says "I've been to huge cities, I've been all over the US and the world and while those places are nice that get to but too much moving and going and way to much fast paced lifestyle". "For a week it is good but after that the time traveling between big cities and driving is over whelming and way to much".

What about the weather and specific stuff to do in Lincoln? I don’t care about Chicago.*

Activities for children? Have you ever been to the theme parks around here? Hulk, Mantis, Kracken, Rocking, Gwazi, Cheetah Hunt.... Know what all those have in common? They are amoung the best roller coasters in the world. Ever heard of drinking around the world at Epcot or their twice a year Food and Wine Festivals?

People from all around the world move here and bring their culture and food with them.

His parents live in Nebraska and due to the cartel that runs college football UCF will have a very hard time, if not impossible time, of playing for a National Championship. Frost is extremely conflicted on what to do and has been feeling a great deal of anxiety over this decision.

Truncated your post, sorry. I hate scrolling through long quotes. No dis intended.

I am a Nebraska fan, lived in all areas of the state. Omaha is a nice version, smaller sized, of larger cities. And the steaks in Nebraska are incredible.

However, I agree with you on every other point, with exclamation points. I have lived in Melbourne, Orlando, and currently Tampa. There are so many cool things here, from NASA to the Keys (Melbourne Beach is like the Keys probably were 50 years ago), the theme parks, the dizzying array of cuisine you mentioned, the ocean, and on and on. There simply is no comparison.

Now that's not to say there aren't positives about Nebraska as a whole. There certainly are. But Florida is a huge tourist market and the attractions are enormous in number. Nebraska, however, is an awesome place to raise a family. Each state probably fits a particular personality profile.

Frost will be working a hundred hours a week sometimes, so the attractions aspect doesn't mean a lot. As you said it's the money and the "CFB Cartel" (which I agree is a problem) that currently prevent UCF and others from breaking through. Hopefully that changes someday.

And during the few down times I imagine Scott and Ashley will either be in Orlando or Arizona. In the late winter both are wonderful to enjoy if you are from Nebraska.

I hope that if Scott comes to Nebraska UCF finds your next superstar and it lasts longer than a couple years. You seem like good people for the most part.

I don't know how UCF runs their football program, but at most larger football programs there isn't much time for the players to enjoy anything the town has to offer. You certainly don't want them in the clubs. Remember, the vast majority of them are underage. As for Disney World, Sea World, Universal, etc, that's great for visiting families, but it probably doesn't mean crap to the players.

What about the weather and specific stuff to do in Lincoln? I don’t care about Chicago.*

The railyard is a nice addition to the downtown scene tons of places to eat and engage in social acitivites. Has been 60's and 70's so far in Lincoln this year for weather. Other things to do would be a revamped DT area loaded with movie theaters, old fashioned stores etc.

Nebraska won't compare to Orlando because each place is truly unique and different. Orlando is fast paced, go go go attitude, do as much as you can in shortest times possible and the population is huge compared to Lincoln.

However Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio is the true Roller Coaster part in the entire world ranked that way for years. Been there twice.

Reactions: SADUCFKNIGHT17
It's been 70 all week.
Look this argument is pointless. Most people do not go to a theme park like activity daily. Day to day life anywhere is similar. You can fish or play Frisbee golf in any city. You have a city designed for tourists. Not many places are going to beat you in things available to do.

It's been 70 all week.
Look this argument is pointless. Most people do not go to a theme park like activity daily. Day to day life anywhere is similar. You can fish or play Frisbee golf in any city. You have a city designed for tourists. Not many places are going to beat you in things available to do.
They got year round passes available...and the surroundings may not be Vegas, but its for everyone.

Truncated your post, sorry. I hate scrolling through long quotes. No dis intended.

I am a Nebraska fan, lived in all areas of the state. Omaha is a nice version, smaller sized, of larger cities. And the steaks in Nebraska are incredible.

However, I agree with you on every other point, with exclamation points. I have lived in Melbourne, Orlando, and currently Tampa. There are so many cool things here, from NASA to the Keys (Melbourne Beach is like the Keys probably were 50 years ago), the theme parks, the dizzying array of cuisine you mentioned, the ocean, and on and on. There simply is no comparison.

Now that's not to say there aren't positives about Nebraska as a whole. There certainly are. But Florida is a huge tourist market and the attractions are enormous in number. Nebraska, however, is an awesome place to raise a family. Each state probably fits a particular personality profile.

Frost will be working a hundred hours a week sometimes, so the attractions aspect doesn't mean a lot. As you said it's the money and the "CFB Cartel" (which I agree is a problem) that currently prevent UCF and others from breaking through. Hopefully that changes someday.

And during the few down times I imagine Scott and Ashley will either be in Orlando or Arizona. In the late winter both are wonderful to enjoy if you are from Nebraska.

I hope that if Scott comes to Nebraska UCF finds your next superstar and it lasts longer than a couple years. You seem like good people for the most part.

I have nothing against Nebraska or its fans personally. I am proud of where I live and the school I graduated from though so when mindless trolls try to rile up my school's boards with stupid remarks I troll right back. Not as tasteless as the ass-bag that made fun of our nightclub shooting over a year ago mind you, but troll like responses none the less.

I wish Frost and his family the best no matter where they wind up. UCF will continue to grow both achedemically and athleticly with or without him.

Given when and where we started I would much rather be a part of building something to true greatness rather than resting on the laurels of other's past accomplishments and claiming them for my own glory.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Living in San Diego, I have a ton of actives at my door step but I'm to busy working to do them, unless family is in town. Funny your guys only argument is one season of UCF football comparing to the Huskers season. Hence why our football coach is fired and we are taking Scott Frost from you. Being the MECA that Orlando is , UCF should have no problem getting a top tier coach from a power 5 conference, I mean Nick Saban loves all the actives that Orlando offers over Tuscaloosa. Maybe Danny White will give Jimbo Fisher a call, I hear he loves the state of Florida. Enjoy your scraps.

It's been 70 all week.
Exactly I love how this has all turned from, Frost leaving, to Nebraska suck. I am Guessing 99.9% of those claiming this, have never even left FL. I am guessing it stems from a psychological level. They are angry and hurt and it is a way of coping. Attempt to make up negatives, makes a positive less important in their eyes.

Living in San Diego, I have a ton of actives at my door step but I'm to busy working to do them, unless family is in town. Funny your guys only argument is one season of UCF football comparing to the Huskers season. Hence why our football coach is fired and we are taking Scott Frost from you. Being the MECA that Orlando is , UCF should have no problem getting a top tier coach from a power 5 conference, I mean Nick Saban loves all the actives that Orlando offers over Tuscaloosa. Maybe Danny White will give Jimbo Fisher a call, I hear he loves the state of Florida. Enjoy your scraps.

Ignored

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Ok all joking aside. In all seriousness do you believe he is going to stay?

I know you weren't asking me but I have to say no, no chance he stays. The draw of a national championship is just too great I'm afraid and the cartel will never let UCF into the big game unless a new restructuring takes place which shouldn't be until another 5 years or so when the TV deals are redone and some non-SEC or ACC conference decides they want the #4 ranked (combined) TV market in their conference by accepting UCF and UWCF (that poorly named school in West Central Florida, or Tampa).

Reactions: husker2612
I know you weren't asking me but I have to say no, no chance he stays. The draw of a national championship is just too great I'm afraid and the cartel will never let UCF into the big game unless a new restructuring takes place which shouldn't be until another 5 years or so when the TV deals are redone and some non-SEC or ACC conference decides they want the #4 ranked (combined) TV market in their conference by accepting UCF and UWCF (that poorly named school in West Central Florida, or Tampa).
Thank you for actually giving an answer and not an made up insult. Like other childish millennials like to do on here. I believe UCF should be in a power 5 conference. I think they would hold their own in time. Unfortunately I think this could be awhile. The 2 most logic places to go would be the ACC or SEC . Conferences expand for usually 2 main reason, money and to add tv viewership. At the current time UCF can't add those to ACC or SEC both already having Miami, FL, and FL St. Another FL school wouldn't gain them much. Their best bet would be to join the BIG12.

I'll enlighten you. I live 10 miles outside of Omaha and an hour from Lincoln. My home is on a lake with a natural sand beach that rings the entire lake. I not only have a beach in my backyard but also a pontoon boat, jet ski, and kayaks. The lake is great for fishing (crappie, bass, walleye, wiper, paddlefish, and catfish). The lake is separated by a dam from one of the largest rivers in North America (Platte River). The river is known as a great place for air boats (I ride along with my neighbor often). My house is a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, 4700 square feet and only cost me $275,000 when I bought it in 2001. I work in downtown Omaha which is only a 25 minute commute. Wildlife that I see on a weekly basis near the lake would be fox, deer (not the tiny Florida variety), beaver, geese, ducks, osprey, bald eagles, white pelicans, great blue herons. The best part, there's no gators in the lake so people, children and dogs all swim safely to their hearts content.

They don't call Nebraska "The Good Life" for no reason. The second richest man in America Warren Buffet also elects to live in Omaha and he could live anywhere he wanted.

All of my Nebraska friends admit Lincoln is a shithole on par w Manhattan, Kansas. Their respite is Omaha, which is a glorified shithole attempt at Kansas City.

Truth is Nebraska is a shit state populated by backwards fat hicks who have no pro sports team and a crap college team... how did us beating you a few days in basketball feel???

Blackshirts? More like the Yellowshirts you coward ass pieces of shit. Stop having 12 kids and die already to save us on Medicaid.

All that I care about is that WE JUST STOLE YOUR COACH so go stew in your Magic Kingdom juices!

I'll enlighten you. I live 10 miles outside of Omaha and an hour from Lincoln. My home is on a lake with a natural sand beach that rings the entire lake. I not only have a beach in my backyard but also a pontoon boat, jet ski, and kayaks. The lake is great for fishing (crappie, bass, walleye, wiper, paddlefish, and catfish). The lake is separated by a dam from one of the largest rivers in North America (Platte River). The river is known as a great place for air boats (I ride along with my neighbor often). My house is a 4 bedroom, 4 bath, 4700 square feet and only cost me $275,000 when I bought it in 2001. I work in downtown Omaha which is only a 25 minute commute. Wildlife that I see on a weekly basis near the lake would be fox, deer (not the tiny Florida variety), beaver, geese, ducks, osprey, bald eagles, white pelicans, great blue herons. The best part, there's no gators in the lake so people, children and dogs all swim safely to their hearts content.

They don't call Nebraska "The Good Life" for no reason. The second richest man in America Warren Buffet also elects to live in Omaha and he could live anywhere he wanted.
They are just mad, they have no other come back but, "Nebraska Sucks" Even though they know nothing about it. I wouldn't trade living here for Fl ever. Guessing most who have lived here wouldn't either. Just let them vent. We have "the good life" and their good coach in a few days.

So your entire point is that if you don't like hustle and bustle, Nebraska is better. Who would have thought? Also, seven hours to get a comparable city, that's just hilarious.

Exactly I love how this has all turned from, Frost leaving, to Nebraska suck. I am Guessing 99.9% of those claiming this, have never even left FL. I am guessing it stems from a psychological level. They are angry and hurt and it is a way of coping. Attempt to make up negatives, makes a positive less important in their eyes.
I have traveled throughout the world and there are mid-tier cities in China I would prefer to live in then anywhere in Nebraska.

Ho Lee chit. I heard the inhabitants of this place were going ape shit but I wasn't expecting this.

Y'all have really gone mad over this whole situation? Eek. This is unpleasant.

I cannot believe Nebraska fans are trying to argue about Omaha/Lincoln being better than Orlando. I'm sorry, but no, absolutely and unequivocally you are wrong. It's totally up to what you value, but if you want a cosmopolitan experience with the ability to essentially do ANYTHING you want, Orlando is a great place to be. If you value diversity at all, Nebraska is not a place you want to live, especially in comparison to Orlando. Hell, all the major metros in the state have this in common, especially in compared to Nebraska. My girlfriend just got back from visiting Nebraska to visit where her late-grandmother was from, and she said that there was absolutely nothing of value to living there before coming home. She was in fact a little concerned by how people acted there, with people treating her poorly at restaurants and bars because her and her family were from out of state. I'll tell you want, Floridians don't give a shit about treating people "extra nice" (bullshit), we treat everyone with the same baseline of respect but you'll get your ass kicked if you act like how a lot of your fans act here.

I get that Frost has his own reasons for considering to go back, he's from there but his perspective is different. But if we look at most measures, everything Nebraska has Florida has but better, with more options and variety.

And I thought it was equally ridiculous that UCF fans thought that Scott Frost would turn down NEBRASKA to stay at UCF. What great coach in his right mind would ever consider that?

Wow. Okay. I'll type slower so your obviously aged eyes can keep up....

Activities for children? Have you ever been to the theme parks around here? Hulk, Mantis, Kracken, Rocking, Gwazi, Cheetah Hunt.... Know what all those have in common? They are amoung the best roller coasters in the world. Ever heard of drinking around the world at Epcot or their twice a year Food and Wine Festivals? Know anyone who wants to get started as a marine biologist? Try Sea World. Besides, what's wrong with being young at heart? Well, i would imagine life in Nebraska has taught you that enjoying life after 30 is not really allowed since that is approaching old age out there.

Claiming teams from other cities? There are multiple posts in this thread talking about the area we live in, Central Florida. There is also reference to how close cities in your neck of the corn fields are in this thread so anything you can drive to and back from in the same day and have an enjoyable time when you get there is considered part of what can be enjoyed. That puts Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami in our collective backyard meaning we have access to a total of 9 or more professional teams and at least 7 top level college programs.

Fuzzy logic? Do they even teach Logic at Nebraska in between Plowing and Shucking classes? Please do list the various sports you can engage in that are a 3 hours or less drive from NU.

Don't get me started on cuisine... There is EVERY STYLE of food here to eat to the point that you could have dinner at a different eatery each night for years, never have the same thing twice and feel like you have traveled the world. You know why? People from all around the world move here and bring their culture and food with them.

So why won't Frost want to stay? Two very simple reasons. His parents live in Nebraska and due to the cartel that runs college football UCF will have a very hard time, if not impossible time, of playing for a National Championship. That's it and I really don't blame him if he goes. From what the UCF media director says on his daily radio talk show, Frost is extremely conflicted on what to do and has been feeling a great deal of anxiety over this decision.
It seems I've unintentionally trolled your pantaloons off. My apologies as I was unaware you were a sensitive little bugger.

Kansas City is a 3 hour drive from Lincoln, so we have NFL & MLB here in Nebraska. We also have a huge number of great places eat in Nebraska. Truly we do. To top it off, we are the home of Kansas City BBQ since that is included in our greater Lincoln area per your fuzzy logic.

We also have all of the Husker sports which Nebraskans enjoy to a degree no professional sports fan can fathom. The games are sold out and the atmosphere is second to none. It makes me giggly uncontrollably to think that you are touting the Miami Marlins as something to behold when we have the Huskers.

Lastly, I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy living near amusement parks. I envy you, not because that's a desirably thing, but because you seem so emphatic that it's a good thing. We have a theme park of our own here that we keep in Kansas City.

Frost will not be staying in your fair city, which covers the entirety of central & southern Florida, because he wants to play real football. He's done using your stepping stone town & college as he's received the opportunity to get in a real conference, in a beautiful city that is frequently ranked as one of the best places to live in America. He would not be staying even if you could make the playoff. He's a Husker and he can't wait to get back to LINCOLN MUTHA ****ING NEBRASKA.

It seems I've unintentionally trolled your pantaloons off. My apologies as I was unaware you were a sensitive little bugger.

Kansas City is a 3 hour drive from Lincoln, so we have NFL & MLB here in Nebraska. We also have a huge number of great places eat in Nebraska. Truly we do. To top it off, we are the home of Kansas City BBQ since that is included in our greater Lincoln area per your fuzzy logic.

We also have all of the Husker sports which Nebraskans enjoy to a degree no professional sports fan can fathom. The games are sold out and the atmosphere is second to none. It makes me giggly uncontrollably to think that you are touting the Miami Marlins as something to behold when we have the Huskers.

Lastly, I'm pleased to hear that you enjoy living near amusement parks. I envy you, not because that's a desirably thing, but because you seem so emphatic that it's a good thing. We have a theme park of our own here that we keep in Kansas City.

Frost will not be staying in your fair city, which covers the entirety of central & southern Florida, because he wants to play real football. He's done using your stepping stone town & college as he's received the opportunity to get in a real conference, in a beautiful city that is frequently ranked as one of the best places to live in America. He would not be staying even if you could make the playoff. He's a Husker and he can't wait to get back to LINCOLN MUTHA ****ING NEBRASKA.
My favorite thing about this post is about how everything good you have in Nebraska isn't even in Nebraska. This would be like us bragging about having the Coke Factory in Atlanta.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister

I'm glad that you brought up the Marlins. What do the Devil Rays, Marlins, and UCF football all have in common? More empty seats than occupied seats...nothing says BIG TIME like that does

So your entire point is that if you don't like hustle and bustle, Nebraska is better. Who would have thought? Also, seven hours to get a comparable city, that's just hilarious.
Don't knock it till you try it. I love big cities who doesn't but I wouldn't want to live in a busy ass city that takes forever to commute thats my personal opinion. Also why are we even comparing a tourist attraction based city to a family based city, of course the former will have more to do that is the whole point in the basis of the city itself. Apples to Oranges my friends, each have their pros and cons.

Reactions: husker2612
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT