ADVERTISEMENT

QB's for Spring Practice and Game?

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
QB's available for Spring practice are Milton, DiNovo and Pratt? That's it? Really?

This Coach has put his team and the season on Milton's shoulders (and thin ice)....hopefully the kid has grown physically, stays healthy and been coached up (arm strength and fundamentals just as a starter)....I'm pulling for him but ...taking this risk....really?

I do see 2 new QB recruits coming in but we don't need another 18 year old Frosh QB starting (last year is a perfect example of why)...as a former QB, I'm surprised that Frost hasn't put more emphasis and importance on the position...everyone else in football recognizes that QB is the most important position on the field.....does Frost?

I'd hardly blame Frost. What can he do? He was hired with everyone knowing full well what kind of offense he'd bring with, and knowing full well what kind of team the previous has built. Then once he came in, he took any QB who wanted in; even ones who didn't fit the new system. Once guys knew they wouldn't fit the system they transferred out, and Frost went after 3 this year, 2 signed. As a former QB, I'm assuming you've been successful and haven't had to go through restructuring. Well at 0-12 2 years ago, we are restructuring. That takes more than just 1 year, and means there'll be bumps in the road. Frost getting any QB last year was a minor miracle. It's not like he's refusing to bring in any QBs.

Reactions: Miltonian
Putting emphasis on the position is not the same as putting it on a particular individual. The QB "merely" takes the snaps from center and makes the reads to start the offense. Milton was the only one who capable of doing that last year. But it's a run first offense with the QB usually not doing the running (unless the DE takes an inside rush path). Any QB, freshman or not, who can do that will get a shot in spring. Those who can't wouldn't have been recruited.

Reactions: G-Knight
Putting emphasis on the position is not the same as putting it on a particular individual. The QB "merely" takes the snaps from center and makes the reads to start the offense. Milton was the only one who capable of doing that last year. But it's a run first offense with the QB usually not doing the running (unless the DE takes an inside rush path). Any QB, freshman or not, who can do that will get a shot in spring. Those who can't wouldn't have been recruited.

Say what? The QB "merely" takes the snaps from center and makes the reads to start the offense...really? He doesn't have to manage and lead the offense? He doesn't have to make further decisions in-flight? He doesn't have to finish plays, not just start them? He doesn't have to be accurate as a passer at all distances and have the arm strength to throw downfield? And that's just the start....

Wow Prof....there's a basketball game today...you do a good job and have made your mark with that analysis....stick with it

Reactions: Mikesi
Prof is partially right, the offense is supposed to be run first which makes everything else go. So when you have a terrible line it makes the play chart that much more difficult even with a QB with an NFL arm.

The Freshmen won't be here in Spring. They didn't early enroll so can't practice. No chance given.

This Coach has put his team and the season on Milton's shoulders (and thin ice)....

Ummmm am I missing something or do we have the same QBs we were supposed to have? How is any of this Frost's fault? Washington was supposed come early but did not. We had a couple of pro-style QBs before he got here. What else was he supposed to do?

I think the point is that incoming freshmen are not the only option. Frost brought in Vernon Adams at Oregon, ok we don't have the clout of Oregon......but come on making no moves won't make Milton better. He has no one to push him. Same thing that happened to Holman. He progressively got worse.

There were plenty of JUCO qb options. Multiple went to AAC schools.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...top-20-impact-juco-transfer-quarterbacks-2017

I think the point is that incoming freshmen are not the only option. Frost brought in Vernon Adams at Oregon, ok we don't have the clout of Oregon......but come on making no moves won't make Milton better. He has no one to push him. Same thing that happened to Holman. He progressively got worse.

There were plenty of JUCO qb options. Multiple went to AAC schools.

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...top-20-impact-juco-transfer-quarterbacks-2017

When has a JUCO player ever really ever panned out for UCF? Maybe a lineman.

We are going to have to go with Milton as the starter and I guess Dinovo as the backup. I hoping both improve enough to get the job done early. However, based on physical ability alone, once again Milton most likely won't be the UCF QB of the near future.

Ummmm am I missing something or do we have the same QBs we were supposed to have? How is any of this Frost's fault? Washington was supposed come early but did not. We had a couple of pro-style QBs before he got here. What else was he supposed to do?

We were" supposed to have" two additional QB's that transferred...that would have made 5....when Frost learned they were transferring, he should have been out looking for 1 or 2 more...but now, going into spring, we have 1 young, semi successful QB and nothing else....

And what was he "supposed to do"...how about something but instead he did nothing....

When has a JUCO player ever really ever panned out for UCF? Maybe a lineman.
UCF had a 5th year senior quarterback transfer from Wake Forest 8 years ago name Brett Hodges who did awfully well. Not from a JC, but still was a transfer. Doesn't that count?

We were" supposed to have" two additional QB's that transferred...that would have made 5....when Frost learned they were transferring, he should have been out looking for 1 or 2 more...but now, going into spring, we have 1 young, semi successful QB and nothing else....

And what was he "supposed to do"...how about something but instead he did nothing....
If there was nothing good available then there's nothing good available. It's not easy to just pull a QB out of his ass. If he could, he would have pulled out a few more offensive lineman first. We need some quality, not just quantity.

Milton is better than Holman and anyone is better than Patti who could do little more than run the ball well 2-3 times a game, so we are better off than in 2016.

I have a feeling about Dinovo making a last hurrah even as a backup. He was a quality QB in H.S. Doubt he's a total bum. Let's see what the spring game shows

Last edited:
Reactions: SCKnight
UCF had a 5th year senior quarterback transfer from Wake Forest 8 years ago name Brett Hodges who did awfully well. Not from a JC, but still was a transfer. Doesn't that count?
That doesn't count in his argument, however just because we haven't had a good JUCO transfer has nothing to do with the next one possibly being a stud. It could happen at any time.

If there was nothing good available then there's nothing good available. It's not easy to just pull a QB out of his ass. If he could, he would have pulled out a few more offensive lineman first. We need some quality, not just quantity.

Milton is better than Holman and anyone is better than Patti who could do little more than run the ball well 2-3 times a game, so we are better off than in 2016.

I have a feeling about Dinovo making a last hurrah even as a backup. He was a quality QB in H.S. Doubt he's a total bum. Let's see what the spring game shows

I hope you're right...

The bad news is do you remember DiNovo's mechanics? I still don't think about that Penn State game he started (gives me nightmares)....

The good news is we now have a QB coach and he's about to show us his stuff....the guy's gonna either earn his money or qualify for unemployment....we've got 2 QB's who come into Spring needing a complete redo of their mechanics....ok QB coach, show us what you got....like to see him start developing a Tom Brady junior from one of these two....or is that what you're referring to by "pull a QB out of his ass"?

I wonder what Frost thinks of DiNovo. Haven't really heard much, but I remember he was on the trip to Michigan. We're really just an injury to Milton away from there being a good chance Pete gets snaps in some real 2017 games.

I'm going to get killed for this but I really think we should have went after De'Andre Johnson. (Former FSU QB who signed with FAU). He would have been perfect for this offense and I think he would have been dynamic with the receiving corps we have.

I wonder what Frost thinks of DiNovo. Haven't really heard much, but I remember he was on the trip to Michigan. We're really just an injury to Milton away from there being a good chance Pete gets snaps in some real 2017 games.
That's pretty much correct. He also took snaps vs. FIU.

Last edited:
I'm going to get killed for this but I really think we should have went after De'Andre Johnson. (Former FSU QB who signed with FAU). He would have been perfect for this offense and I think he would have been dynamic with the receiving corps we have.
I'm changing your handle to breakingthelawknight.

Isn't there a walk on available for spring practice? Last year we had Coach K's son who showed his stuff in the game. I thought they were talking about a Florida kid who might have enrolled.

No, We have had several transfers that worked out. JUCO players historically have been a losing proposition for UCF. Maybe other programs have had success but not us.

That's a defeatist attitude. I don't subscribe that.

Stating facts is not defeatist. And you don't give a scholarship to anyone unless they fit your system and have interest in your school. We were supposed to have 3 QBs coming in Fall with one having a spring to practice. Did not work out that way.

No JUCO players have as much game experience as Milton currently does. If the JUCOs were better players they would not have been JUCO in the first place. I know that is a generalized statement and there are exceptions but as a rule the JUCO players have issues. They might stand out in JuCO play but the experience at UCF is that they don't make the two deep squad or don't make grades.

I think this is a better idea than a mediocre JUCO player. It is quite possible that he has learned his lesson and is ready to be serious. I am all about second chances. But as I understand it he had other issues as well. I think Frost is a bit like GOL in that he expects you to tow the line.

At this point, I think we are probably one play away from one of the freshmen QB's taking snaps in the fall. Though I wouldn't count out DiNovo. If the OL is opening up holes, it really won't matter too much who is taking the snaps. If the OL isn't opening up holes and can't protect the QB, again, it won't matter who is taking the snaps.

Reactions: muckdawg24
Stating facts is not defeatist. And you don't give a scholarship to anyone unless they fit your system and have interest in your school. We were supposed to have 3 QBs coming in Fall with one having a spring to practice. Did not work out that way.

No JUCO players have as much game experience as Milton currently does. If the JUCOs were better players they would not have been JUCO in the first place. I know that is a generalized statement and there are exceptions but as a rule the JUCO players have issues. They might stand out in JuCO play but the experience at UCF is that they don't make the two deep squad or don't make grades.

No JUCOs having more game experience than a half year starter is ficticous. Make up the facts as you see fit. I will live in reality. Plenty of JUCO, 5th year seniors and FBS qbs are WAY BETTER than Milton. Did you watch the games last year?

I wasn't going to do this, but let's go back to my original point. I bring up a 5th year transfer (adams) and multiple JUCOs going to AAC schools. If we feel milton/dinovo is the best that a gigantic university in Florida can do then let's just pack it up. Seriously pack it up.

At this point, I think we are probably one play away from one of the freshmen QB's taking snaps in the fall. Though I wouldn't count out DiNovo. If the OL is opening up holes, it really won't matter too much who is taking the snaps. If the OL isn't opening up holes and can't protect the QB, again, it won't matter who is taking the snaps.
Really?? You're not giving near enough responsibility and value to the QB postion. So... with your argument why even care who plays QB???

I have little problem with Dinovo being backup if he's better than in the first game of 2014. He's not a starter for the same reason Holman couldn't be. He's a senior and is gone after 2017

No JUCOs having more game experience than a half year starter is ficticous. Make up the facts as you see fit. I will live in reality. Plenty of JUCO, 5th year seniors and FBS qbs are WAY BETTER than Milton. Did you watch the games last year?

I wasn't going to do this, but let's go back to my original point. I bring up a 5th year transfer (adams) and multiple JUCOs going to AAC schools. If we feel milton/dinovo is the best that a gigantic university in Florida can do then let's just pack it up. Seriously pack it up.
The only question is was any "available" JUCO transfer or 5th year senior to be in a new system be "way better" than the 2017 Milton? If you can tell me that with any certainty, then I'm coming to you for lottery numbers.

BTW.., how many 5th year seniors who were quality at QB have picked AAC or G5 schools? Russell Wilson? No. Vernon Adams? No. Brett Hodges? Yes. He was a serviceable game manager.

Gigantic university in Florida?? What does enrollment numbers and location have to do with this??

People need to say the name of the QB they want right now. Don't wait for 7 months from now and pretend you wanted the guy that ended up going to some school and doing well. How well did Oregon QBs do last year?

People need to say the name of the QB they want right now. Don't wait for 7 months from now and pretend you wanted the guy that ended up going to some school and doing well. How well did Oregon QBs do last year?
Or just watch and enjoy the competition. It's okay to not stake out our territory. Just want wins and exciting product.

Let's face it. It's Milton, Dinovo, and maybe the kid from Virginia later for 2017. Any other better option is already off the table, right?

Have you ever watched a JUCO game? Do know what the competition is like? 3/4 of a season in D1 at D1 speed is worth a whole career at JUCO. JUCO is in-between High School and FBS. Who exactly did Frost turn his nose up at? Who was looking to join and we turned away? Talk about making up facts. You do remember that we completely altered our offensive scheme and as such none of our older QBs fit what was needed? It is called rebuilding and you don't rebuild with JUCOs and 5th years. You suck it up and build from the ground up. If Milton is not the guy you groom the guy who is. If there was a magic pill in the form of some fantastic JUCO QB I am sure Frost would have pursued him. But most of those guys excel in the slow speed of the JUCO game and whiff at the D1 level. I dont see any Cam Newtons knocking on our door.

Have you ever watched a JUCO game? Do know what the competition is like? 3/4 of a season in D1 at D1 speed is worth a whole career at JUCO. JUCO is in-between High School and FBS. Who exactly did Frost turn his nose up at? Who was looking to join and we turned away? Talk about making up facts. You do remember that we completely altered our offensive scheme and as such none of our older QBs fit what was needed? It is called rebuilding and you don't rebuild with JUCOs and 5th years. You suck it up and build from the ground up. If Milton is not the guy you groom the guy who is. If there was a magic pill in the form of some fantastic JUCO QB I am sure Frost would have pursued him. But most of those guys excel in the slow speed of the JUCO game and whiff at the D1 level. I dont see any Cam Newtons knocking on our door.
This!!! Let's suck it up!

Ok I will play the game and give you two names:

Torrance Gibson (transfer) *obviously following a coach
DJ Gillans (JUCO)

Both Florida kids that can run a version of our offense and went to AAC schools. This is our competition though. We should expect to be better.

Am I crazy to think a kid that can't throw a spiral over 20 yards should have as much competition as possible in major college football?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT