ADVERTISEMENT

QB's for Spring Practice and Game?

They arrive for all of summer practice. Generally around late june early july, just like Milton. Worst case scenario we have Dinovo if somehow milton gets hurt, but thats an extreme worst case. After week 2 or 3 at least 1 Freshman should be up to speed enough to run the offense enough to be a game manager. Again you are speaking worst case, 1% chance of happening scenario. You can bet Frost and co have playbooks and workout plans in the hands of every single signee the second they sing an LOI. So they are at minimum getting familiar with the playbook and going thru UCF's workout program before they get here.
1% chance of Milton being injured early on in the season?? You said you have played football, right? Considering he's undersized and was hurt for most of last year, wouldn't you say those odds are a bit low?

Seriously doubt all we need is a game
manager to survive and that's the BEST case scenario for their experience level after 1-3 weeks

Has anyone seen the velocity on DiNovo's passes lately? I'm curious to see his arm strength in the Spring game with the Frost offense. If it's good enough then perhaps he will get the nod to start now that Holman, Kruz and Patti are gone.

This would give both Milton and Mack needed time to develop along with our OL.

Has anyone seen the velocity on DiNovo's passes lately? I'm curious to see his arm strength in the Spring game with the Frost offense. If it's good enough then perhaps he will get the nod to start now that Holman, Kruz and Patti are gone.

This would give both Milton and Mack needed time to develop along with our OL.

And he kills it in practice!

1% chance of Milton being injured early on in the season?? You said you have played football, right? Considering he's undersized and was hurt for most of last year, wouldn't you say those odds are a bit low?

manager to survive and that's the BEST case scenario for their experience level after 1-3 weeks

Well considering we have this new space age thing called strength and conditioning coaches as well as nutritionists, no i dont think its low. Barring some freak injury,, we will be fine. Yes i played football, and when you had problems, even in high school, you addressed them. I was constantly on bulking programs to get my weight up. It does not take very long, especially when you have pros doing it. I guarantee he will come back 20 lbs heavier minimum. HIs ankles were his only problem, guarantee they had him running in sand all off season to fix the stabilizers in his ankles. Verdu had an entire offseason to work on footwork and decision making. We will be fine unless day 1 he comes and gets cut and tears an ACL in a freak accident. Dinovo is capable or running read after 2 years in the system if all goes to hell. Mack and Vedral both ran this offense in high school too.

No need in fretting about a "problem" that was only there because we had a brand new offense with growing pains. Yes there will be more pains this year, albeit, much fewer in all likelihood.

Reading this post, I was curious how many sacks our early season opponents had last year.

Rankings by # of sacks (out of 128 FBS teams):
#110 FIU
#89 Memphis
#114 Georgia Tech
#17 Maryland (tied with UCF)
[FCS] Maine
#101 Cincinnati
#128 East Carolina
#109 Navy

So 6 of our first 8 games are against teams ranked over 100 (out of 128) in sacks per game and Memphis isn't much better.

Now all it takes is one hit, these stats are from last year, etc, etc... but I like what I see here.

Reading this post, I was curious how many sacks our early season opponents had last year.

#110 FIU
#89 Memphis
#114 Georgia Tech
[FCS] Maine
#101 Cincinnati
#128 East Carolina
#109 Navy

So 6 of our first 8 games are against teams ranked over 100 (out of 128) in sacks per game and Memphis isn't much better.

Now all it takes is one hit, these stats are from last year, etc, etc... but I like what I see here.
Exactly, gotta look at the positives. We SHOULD see improvement across the board, minus maybe our LB depth. But of course we still have to show up and play the game

Exactly, gotta look at the positives. We SHOULD see improvement across the board, minus maybe our LB depth. But of course we still have to show up and play the game
That's what happened last year, too. Aside from Michigan, of course, we got the soft part of the schedule first. The problem is that if we don't have depth again, starters are likely to be injured by late in the season.

Reactions: Miltonian

#110 FIU
#89 Memphis
#114 Georgia Tech
[FCS] Maine
#101 Cincinnati
#128 East Carolina
#109 Navy

Wow. We were 17th with a depleted defensive line. That's pretty good Hopefully next year we can get more sacks from our line instead of relying on blitzing linebackers.

Well considering we have this new space age thing called strength and conditioning coaches as well as nutritionists, no i dont think its low. Barring some freak injury,, we will be fine. Yes i played football, and when you had problems, even in high school, you addressed them. I was constantly on bulking programs to get my weight up. It does not take very long, especially when you have pros doing it. I guarantee he will come back 20 lbs heavier minimum. HIs ankles were his only problem, guarantee they had him running in sand all off season to fix the stabilizers in his ankles. Verdu had an entire offseason to work on footwork and decision making. We will be fine unless day 1 he comes and gets cut and tears an ACL in a freak accident. Dinovo is capable or running read after 2 years in the system if all goes to hell. Mack and Vedral both ran this offense in high school too.

No need in fretting about a "problem" that was only there because we had a brand new offense with growing pains. Yes there will be more pains this year, albeit, much fewer in all likelihood.
Strength and conditioning is space age? Wow.,, next thing you're probably going to tell me is that the Earth is round.

Wow. We were 17th with a depleted defensive line. That's pretty good Hopefully next year we can get more sacks from our line instead of relying on blitzing linebackers.
That's what the 3-4 is designed to do. That's why the Steelers and Ravens don't get DL pass rushers in FA. LBs are the stars.

It was our mini-LBs who did much of the damage, remember. My favorite was Shaquim leap frogging a huge lineman to dive for the legs of the QB.

Strength and conditioning is space age? Wow.,, next thing you're probably going to tell me is that the Earth is round.

WHat happens when someone realizes they didnt think their argument thru and have nothing left to add.

Considering he's undersized and was hurt for most of last year, wouldn't you say those odds are a bit low?

I definitely have durability concerns. He had an injury issue his senior year in high school as well. In this offense, the QB is going to take some shots even if we have a stellar O-line. I like Milton and I'm rooting for him, but I'll also have a close eye on the backup situation because I think they will need to be ready at some point.

Reactions: Mikesi
WHat happens when someone realizes they didnt think their argument thru and have nothing left to add.
I have plenty to add. That's pretty lame to think that i wouldn't think that the Milton wouldn't undergo a strength and conditioning program. Fact of the matter is that UCF had as many or more injuries in 2016, so your argument is completely invalid. The guy is small and he's injury prone so far. Those are facts, which you don't seem to care much about.

I definitely have durability concerns. He had an injury issue his senior year in high school as well. In this offense, the QB is going to take some shots even if we have a stellar O-line. I like Milton and I'm rooting for him, but I'll also have a close eye on the backup situation because I think they will need to be ready at some point.
This!! You totally get it

I have plenty to add. That's pretty lame to think that i wouldn't think that the Milton wouldn't undergo a strength and conditioning program. Fact of the matter is that UCF had as many or more injuries in 2016, so your argument is completely invalid. The guy is small and he's injury prone so far. Those are facts, which you don't seem to care much about.
You really mean to tell me we had more injuries last year than 2015??? THe year we lost Akins, Dontravious Wilson, Holman, Joey Grant? Only 4 of our best players in a few week span alone....Mario Mathis, not to mention losing stanback to drug, neal nelson got hurt and quit,

2016 we had....holman, hudanick, and if you want to count hernly go ahead but he was only sort of a starter? Milton got hurt for like a week with his ankle and it lingered...list doesnt go much deeper than that.

So even if you could add to 2016 list, they were 100% not as important of players minus hudanick and 100% not as severe minus hudanick. Also the fact i know half of our secondary was hurt all of 2015 forcing us to play freshmen. We played in the top 5 most freshmen in the country in 2015 due to injuries....2016 was by choice more so.

Reactions: Knight_Light
You really mean to tell me we had more injuries last year than 2015??? THe year we lost Akins, Dontravious Wilson, Holman, Joey Grant? Only 4 of our best players in a few week span alone....Mario Mathis, not to mention losing stanback to drug, neal nelson got hurt and quit,

2016 we had....holman, hudanick, and if you want to count hernly go ahead but he was only sort of a starter? Milton got hurt for like a week with his ankle and it lingered...list doesnt go much deeper than that.

So even if you could add to 2016 list, they were 100% not as important of players minus hudanick and 100% not as severe minus hudanick. Also the fact i know half of our secondary was hurt all of 2015 forcing us to play freshmen. We played in the top 5 most freshmen in the country in 2015 due to injuries....2016 was by choice more so.

Yeah...the 2015 season was the worst for number of injuries to top players I have ever seen...and sadly, it hit when scholarship depth was at its low point due to the loss of 19 scholarships because of NCAA sanctions.

Toward the end of 2016...we did lose some DL and LB for a game or two because of injuries but fortunately, it came toward the end of the season.

I think the reality is this:

1. When we hired Frost we knew he was bringing in a new system which would make the current crop of QBs obsolete. We hoped that one of them could step in and run it effectively but none could. Our two top pro-style QBs transferred. Holman was the only real choice to start. .

2. When Holman went down our options were Patti and Milton. Milton was better than Patti.

3. Knowing that we would have a QB problem next year Frost refused to bow down to pressure to put Holman/Patti in so that Milton could get real game day experience. Win or lose.

4. Milton was not ready physically, mechanically or mentally to be the starter, but was thrown into a very tough situation. Had 6 weeks of college training before getting thrown to the dogs.

5. When you are the starter you and you are having to get around the learning curve of the offense, have not had the benefit of strength and conditioning or spring training, each week you are having to prepare for a new opponent and scheme that you have never seen before, are playing on a D1 level for the first time, on a team that went 0-12 the year before, with the pressure of the entire team and fans on your shoulders along with taking college courses as a freshman you don't have much time to work on mechanics. You are pretty busy just surviving and getting by.

6. Despite this and the fact that we had problems with a new offense and O-line Milton won some games and showed sparks of great talent. He also made mistakes that you would expect a QB in this situation to make.

7. Frost and company recruited 3 QB prospects, one of which decided to de-commit weeks before signing day. My guess is that 1)there were no other options that were worth a scholarship or 2) Bringing in another QB might have spooked that recruits that we had who see the opportunities for early playing time.

8. Milton will now have a summer to work on mechanics, strength and conditioning. A spring to work on form, reads and the playbook. He will bulk a little and mature a great deal.

9. Our only options for QBs are Milton, Divino and 2 incoming true freshman. I think Frost knows this and was either willing to risk it or to use this coming season as a learning year.

10. Some of our fans have outrageous expectations and instead of being excited for the promise the team showed this season (including Milton) are spoiled by the fact that we won enough games to go to a bowl game.

Expect that next year this team may regress because I think they over performed last season. We still have a lot of growing up and learning to do. Get behind Milton because he is likely to be our guy for good or bad. This off season will make or break his college career. I for one hope that neither the the new freshman QBs see action at all next season

1. When we hired Frost we knew he was bringing in a new system which would make the current crop of QBs obsolete. We hoped that one of them could step in and run it effectively but none could. Our two top pro-style QBs transferred. Holman was the only real choice to start. .

2. When Holman went down our options were Patti and Milton. Milton was better than Patti.

3. Knowing that we would have a QB problem next year Frost refused to bow down to pressure to put Holman/Patti in so that Milton could get real game day experience. Win or lose.

4. Milton was not ready physically, mechanically or mentally to be the starter, but was thrown into a very tough situation. Had 6 weeks of college training before getting thrown to the dogs.

5. When you are the starter you and you are having to get around the learning curve of the offense, have not had the benefit of strength and conditioning or spring training, each week you are having to prepare for a new opponent and scheme that you have never seen before, are playing on a D1 level for the first time, on a team that went 0-12 the year before, with the pressure of the entire team and fans on your shoulders along with taking college courses as a freshman you don't have much time to work on mechanics. You are pretty busy just surviving and getting by.

6. Despite this and the fact that we had problems with a new offense and O-line Milton won some games and showed sparks of great talent. He also made mistakes that you would expect a QB in this situation to make.

7. Frost and company recruited 3 QB prospects, one of which decided to de-commit weeks before signing day. My guess is that 1)there were no other options that were worth a scholarship or 2) Bringing in another QB might have spooked that recruits that we had who see the opportunities for early playing time.

8. Milton will now have a summer to work on mechanics, strength and conditioning. A spring to work on form, reads and the playbook. He will bulk a little and mature a great deal.

9. Our only options for QBs are Milton, Divino and 2 incoming true freshman. I think Frost knows this and was either willing to risk it or to use this coming season as a learning year.

10. Some of our fans have outrageous expectations and instead of being excited for the promise the team showed this season (including Milton) are spoiled by the fact that we won enough games to go to a bowl game.

Expect that next year this team may regress because I think they over performed last season. We still have a lot of growing up and learning to do. Get behind Milton because he is likely to be our guy for good or bad. This off season will make or break his college career. I for one hope that neither the the new freshman QBs see action at all next season
Finally a fan who uses logic. THANK YOU!

Mostly good points but your last premise had better be way off...."Expect that next year this team may regress"...no way should we expect, in the 2nd year of this coach's contract, that this team regresses...the team needs to be and we should expect it to be better....anything less would be unsuccessful and a very disappointing season...

so I expect it to be a successful season!

Yeah...the 2015 season was the worst for number of injuries to top players I have ever seen...and sadly, it hit when scholarship depth was at its low point due to the loss of 19 scholarships because of NCAA sanctions.

Toward the end of 2016...we did lose some DL and LB for a game or two because of injuries but fortunately, it came toward the end of the season.
How were we with injuries in 2013 and 2014?? 2015 was clearly an anomaly for this program in every way possible.

Funny, when Milton was playing well, he's not injured. (UConn), When he wasn't, well he was hurt (Arkansas St,) Now once again, in retrospect, it was a minor injury that was lingering. So.., which is it?

As far as expectations, my expectations are to improve every year and especially towards the end of
the year, not regress. Those are neither unreal or outrageous

Mostly good points but your last premise had better be way off...."Expect that next year this team may regress"...no way should we expect, in the 2nd year of this coach's contract, that this team regresses...the team needs to be and we should expect it to be better....anything less would be unsuccessful and a very disappointing season...

so I expect it to be a successful season!

What was meant is that It think it is a distinct possibility that we regress and I would not be surprised if we did. Would I be disappointed? Yes. Surprised and angry? No.

How were we with injuries in 2013 and 2014?? 2015 was clearly an anomaly for this program in every way possible.
2013 we had maximum luck and success. Besides winning our appeal with the NCAA, we proceeded to have minimal injuries and bye weeks precisely when we need to heal up and rest.

Reactions: Mikesi

Funny, when Milton was playing well, he's not injured. (UConn), When he wasn't, well he was hurt (Arkansas St,) Now once again, in retrospect, it was a minor injury that was lingering. So.., which is it?

As far as expectations, my expectations are to improve every year and especially towards the end of
the year, not regress. Those are neither unreal or outrageous

Well generally a lingering issue means its fine to play on, but if you take a hit or cut wrong, it can affect you for a bit. He hurt his ankle against maryland, then tweaked it again vs FIU, missed ECU. Was fine after that until he messed up his ankle again vs USF (same ankle, messed up on a cut). Thus rendering him somewhat hurt vs AK State. SO yes, a lingering injury can follow you a whole year, but not be major. An ankle sprain can take anywhere from 3 weeks to a whole season to heal depending on how u protect it and if you keep tweaking it. Then you come back in 2017, ankle is just fine because you could finally rest it and strengthen it, and voila! 20 lbs of muscle heavier and some stability workouts later, no injury worries.

2013 we had maximum luck and success. Besides winning our appeal with the NCAA, we proceeded to have minimal injuries and bye weeks precisely when we need to heal up and rest.

Plus some last minute heroics from Blake, JJ, Godfrey and more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT