ADVERTISEMENT

QB's for Spring Practice and Game?

Ok I will play the game and give you two names:

Torrance Gibson (transfer) *obviously following a coach
DJ Gillans (JUCO)

Both Florida kids that can run a version of our offense and went to AAC schools. This is our competition though. We should expect to be better.

Am I crazy to think a kid that can't throw a spiral over 20 yards should have as much competition as possible in major college football?
At least you gave 2 names. Pick just 1 though. We wouldn't have gotten both. Perhaps we pick the wrong one or both aren't good anyway.

At least you gave 2 names. Pick just 1 though. We wouldn't have gotten both. Perhaps we pick the wrong one or both aren't good anyway.

Stepping in here because, if I'm reading this right, there's a suggestion that we should have added at least 1 if not 2 QB's and that's spot on...and you're pushing back? Our need for depth at QB is so obvious that you have to be blind not to see it and you call out another poster and ask them for the potential QB's name, rank and serial number...really? Do you just want to argue or do you work for the FB team in charge of managing scholarships and personnel? If neither than you and everyone else should be thrilled by a suggestion that we add depth at a position where we sorely need and lack it and that's QB....

We all hope that Milton and DiNovo work out but neither is a good D1 QB going into spring practice....

DJ Gillans (JUCO)

Both Florida kids that can run a version of our offense and went to AAC schools. This is our competition though. We should expect to be better.

Am I crazy to think a kid that can't throw a spiral over 20 yards should have as much competition as possible in major college football?

Question 1: should you chase and give a scholarship to a QB who has not played a single down as a QB in 4 years and has not practiced as a QB in 2 years so that he "might" be able run our offense for one year. No game experience? What is the overall value of such a move. I know we took Brett Hodges and it sort of worked out but he had always been a QB at Wake Forest and had actual game experience.

Question 2: Gillins had three offers SMU, Southern Miss and Troy. Do you think that maybe the staff evaluated his potential and found that it was not worth chasing? I think this more likely than some stubborn wish to promote Milton.

In the end, to follow your argument I would have to believe that Frost is purposely, and without thought putting all our eggs in one basket so to speak. Maybe I am naive but at this point I have more faith in Frost to be smarter than that. I don't think he saw a real option for any transfer or JUCO to fit his system with any efficiency. He knows that reshaping UCF offense was a long term project. Honestly I think many of our fans got caught up in the fact that we had some success this year and are overlooking how amazing that turnaround actually was. To think that we should be firing on all cylinders in year two might be a bit much. But by year 3......

Stepping in here because, if I'm reading this right, there's a suggestion that we should have added at least 1 if not 2 QB's and that's spot on...and you're pushing back? Our need for depth at QB is so obvious that you have to be blind not to see it and you call out another poster and ask them for the potential QB's name, rank and serial number...really? Do you just want to argue or do you work for the FB team in charge of managing scholarships and personnel? If neither than you and everyone else should be thrilled by a suggestion that we add depth at a position where we sorely need and lack it and that's QB....

We all hope that Milton and DiNovo work out but neither is a good D1 QB going into spring practice....

We did add two QBs. Mack and Vedral. We were supposed to have 3 but Washington pulled out and went to Uconn. I think the argument being put forth is that we need a stop gap QB. someone who step in right away and compete. I just think that is not realistic for UCF. Most of those guys went to P5 programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFProf
We are making this much more complicated than it needs to be.
Either:

1). Frost is content with the QBs that he has or:

2). There wasn't anyone available to run this offense that was worth offering an addtional scholarship to yet. We can offer another 1-2 next year

What is very intriguing (good or bad) is since Milton is somewhat injury prone AND we MAY be on either side of a blowout this year, Dinovo is actually going to see some significant playing time.

QB's available for Spring practice are Milton, DiNovo and Pratt? That's it? Really?

This Coach has put his team and the season on Milton's shoulders (and thin ice)....hopefully the kid has grown physically, stays healthy and been coached up (arm strength and fundamentals just as a starter)....I'm pulling for him but ...taking this risk....really?

I do see 2 new QB recruits coming in but we don't need another 18 year old Frosh QB starting (last year is a perfect example of why)...as a former QB, I'm surprised that Frost hasn't put more emphasis and importance on the position...everyone else in football recognizes that QB is the most important position on the field.....does Frost?

Exactly what kind of magic are you expecting?

A QB for this spring practice would either need to be an early enrollee from this class or from his first recruiting class. So in your estimation, Frost has caused this problem by not finding the next first round NFL QB prospect in the handful of weeks between accepting the UCF job and NSD last year. Or is it that, of probably the single digit early enroll Div 1 caliber QBs in this class, he didn't get one that would also happen to be great... as a freshman.

Maybe the better question is why are these the only sources for a QB competition this spring? Where are all the great QBs that GOL could have pulled in after Bortles was the first QB taken in the draft? Of that prime opportunity, we have Dinovo.

Exactly what kind of magic are you expecting?

A QB for this spring practice would either need to be an early enrollee from this class or from his first recruiting class. So in your estimation, Frost has caused this problem by not finding the next first round NFL QB prospect in the handful of weeks between accepting the UCF job and NSD last year. Or is it that, of probably the single digit early enroll Div 1 caliber QBs in this class, he didn't get one that would also happen to be great... as a freshman.

Maybe the better question is why are these the only sources for a QB competition this spring? Where are all the great QBs that GOL could have pulled in after Bortles was the first QB taken in the draft? Of that prime opportunity, we have Dinovo.
There was Schneider and Harris. They were recruited by GOL and were considered to be GREAT prospects. Problem is they weren't and in addition the offensive system changed 180 degrees.

There was Schneider and Harris. They were recruited by GOL and were considered to be GREAT prospects. Problem is they weren't and in addition the offensive system changed 180 degrees.
They both had great arms but that was it.

Reactions: Mikesi

I want exact names who people are saying is going to be the next Jared Goff. Anyone can say we need to go out and get a JUCO QB. But when 2 out of 35 end up doing ok the clowns that are saying that will only point to those 2. Even though they never heard of them. I need exact names so when they do bad I can say see, it isn't an exact science.

I think everybody needs the calm the fk down and realize we are still rebuilding. This year is gonna be rocky as well.
But for different reasons: young, inexperienced defense! We'll need 30 or 40 to win most games.

But for different reasons: young, inexperienced defense! We'll need 30 or 40 to win most games.
This is what we said before last season and things were just the opposite. The truth is, like last year, nobody here has any clue what to expect next year. Things are pretty much up in the air. If we improve by 2 wins it would be a great thing

this board has been on a constant Milton beatdown for 6 months, probably the most scrutinized UCF True Freshman player ever
That's because we tasted Fliet in 2013/2014 and we liked it. Now we are impatient and tired of eating ground beef. We actually care. Caring =being critical. Not caring = apathetic

Reactions: muckdawg24
This is what we said before last season and things were just the opposite. The truth is, like last year, nobody here has any clue what to expect next year. Things are pretty much up in the air. If we improve by 2 wins it would be a great thing
In 8 games last year we need to score in 30s to win or even have a shot. How is that the opposite?

Actually, it did happen. The defense over-performed the first several games. But injuries to the thin lines exposed a hopelessly weak defensive line. Even passing teams never needed to pass against us.

You misunderstand. Last year we said that defense would be young and inexperienced and we would need big points to win but the opposite happened. Defense stepped up. Now you are saying the same thing this year. the truth is nobody knows

I figured we needed 2 to 3 years to rebuild, We were at the bottom of schollie losses. I am not real worried about Milton, he played fairly well early in the year, Once the Oline totally imploded he struggled. As for injury prone, how many QBs would have remained as healthy as he did with that line. Do I think he will be a great college QB? no. Can he be a functional system QB? Yes. That is all we need from him short term. 6-6 to 8-4 would be good considering where we were 1 year ago.

What I want to know is: if this team regressed and goes 4 - 8, or worse, are they going to raise ticket prices again? That is a question that really needs to be answed.

;)

We are going to have to go with Milton as the starter and I guess Dinovo as the backup. I hoping both improve enough to get the job done early. However, based on physical ability alone, once again Milton most likely won't be the UCF QB of the near future.

100% either Mack or Vedral will be backup, most likely mack since he doesnt need to put on much size. Straight from the horses (multiple coaches) mouths, whoever can learn the offense fastest and most thoroughly has the best chance to play. End of story. We will be fine regardless.

Reactions: SCKnight
What I want to know is: if this team regressed and goes 4 - 8, or worse, are they going to raise ticket prices again? That is a question that really needs to be answed.

;)
We have Maine, FIU, ECU, UCONN, and SMU on our schedule. If we go 4-8 they will DEFINITELY raise ticket prices, because they'll need to prepare to buy out Frost's contract the next year.

We have Maine, FIU, ECU, UCONN, and SMU on our schedule. If we go 4-8 they will DEFINITELY raise ticket prices, because they'll need to prepare to buy out Frost's contract the next year.
Buyouts usually involve donors (as well as donor pressure). Even 4-8 depends on how it occurs. If all our home games are wins, ticket sales are stronger, games are close, offense looks better, losses are close and exciting, and/or lots of injuries would easily keep Frost here. We're not in a position for buyouts. I'm more worried about if Frost and Dawkins continue to outperform expectations and we must bump up their contracts or lose them. Hopefully, The wins and Danny at the helm will generate more revenue.

DJ Gillans (JUCO)

Yes you are, its hard to throw a spiral (which doesnt matter, the ball just needs to get there, doesnt need to be pretty), when you dont have time to make it past your first read.

Buyouts usually involve donors (as well as donor pressure). Even 4-8 depends on how it occurs. If all our home games are wins, ticket sales are stronger, games are close, offense looks better, losses are close and exciting, and/or lots of injuries would easily keep Frost here. We're not in a position for buyouts. I'm more worried about if Frost and Dawkins continue to outperform expectations and we must bump up their contracts or lose them. Hopefully, The wins and Danny at the helm will generate more revenue.
I am thinking it was a tongue in cheek statement. Frost is here for at least 4-5 years no matter what

100% either Mack or Vedral will be backup, most likely mack since he doesnt need to put on much size. Straight from the horses (multiple coaches) mouths, whoever can learn the offense fastest and most thoroughly has the best chance to play. End of story. We will be fine regardless.
Nothing is 100%. It's very very unlikely that Vedral will be ready anytime soon and Mack will take time as well. When do they even arrive on campus?? So, if Milton gets banged up in games 1-3, then........??? Dinovo, right??

Why do you say that we will be fine regardless???

Last edited:
Nothing is 100%. It's very very unlikely that Vedral will be ready anytime soon and Mack will take time as well. When do they even arrive on campus?? So, if Milton gets banged up in games 1-3, then........??? Dinovo, right??

Why do you say that we will be fine reagardless???

Because we will be drinking and fending off the Heifer trolls, as usual.

Reactions: Mikesi

Why do you say that we will be fine regardless???

They arrive for all of summer practice. Generally around late june early july, just like Milton. Worst case scenario we have Dinovo if somehow milton gets hurt, but thats an extreme worst case. After week 2 or 3 at least 1 Freshman should be up to speed enough to run the offense enough to be a game manager. Again you are speaking worst case, 1% chance of happening scenario. You can bet Frost and co have playbooks and workout plans in the hands of every single signee the second they sing an LOI. So they are at minimum getting familiar with the playbook and going thru UCF's workout program before they get here.

I'm back in the Cabana, so yes, we will be fine alcohol-wise. As far as fending off Heifer trolls. That's a given too, since they love us!! So., you are right!

I think I will be too. @UCFSystemEng was looking to switch seat, not sure if he still is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT