ADVERTISEMENT

Real Leadership in times of Crisis

However, the need for ventilation services during a severe pandemic could quickly overwhelm these day-today operational capabilities. During a severe influenza pandemic, it has been projected that the demand for assisted ventilation in hospitals could increase by 25% or more.2

That is from your own link, so thanks for proving my point.
This isn’t going to go to 100,000 in a few weeks. Just like in a wartime need for something, functional ventilators can be manufactured in days to weeks. Maybe not the 2020 state of the art ones

Last edited:
So.. China, a 3rd world country that’s been dealing with this for how long?? We have enough ventilators for them

Now, we can’t supply the USA which has such a minimal number, but will grow to 100,000 in a week

How in the world is China a 3rd world country? They have the 2nd highest GDP in the world and make up 15% of the worlds economy.

This isn’t going to go to 100,000 in a few weeks. Just like in a wartime need for something, functional Ventilators can be manufactured in days to week.

You have no idea what it is going to get to, you are just guessing. Hopefully you are right, but if you dont think our medical system getting overwhelmed is a concern by a lot of intelligent people, then you arent paying attention.

However, the need for ventilation services during a severe pandemic could quickly overwhelm these day-today operational capabilities. During a severe influenza pandemic, it has been projected that the demand for assisted ventilation in hospitals could increase by 25% or more.2

That is from your own link, so thanks for proving my point.
That link was a crude estimate of the number of ventilators. Anything else you’re totally taking out of context to pat yourself on the back

How in the world is China a 3rd world country? They have the 2nd highest GDP in the world and make up 15% of the worlds economy.
It’s a figure of speech. They aren’t the USA.
If they were, they wouldn’t have started this pandemic. Stay on topic

It’s a figure of speech. They aren’t the USA.
If they were, they wouldn’t have started this pandemic. Stay on topic

Huh? I literally just replied to your statement, I dont know how I could have stayed anymore on topic. Is Italy a 3rd world country too though, just asking for your opinion since I am so dumb.

If you think that this virus has ANY chance of overwhelming the Ventilators in the USA, then can’t help you. You’re subscribing to the apocalypse theory. I bet you have a lot of toilet paper.

Huh? I literally just replied to your statement, I dont know how I could have stayed anymore on topic. Is Italy a 3rd world country too though, just asking for your opinion since I am so dumb.
All I’m saying is that you’re much better at sticking to topics that you know about. Sure you can give your opinion on anything, but if we can’t keep up with supplying the USA with Ventilators is basically doomsday

People in Italy are dying because of basic lack of medicine and care as well, and that is the concern here as well. I heard last night, that our entire country only has 72,000 respirators. If this does spread to hundreds of thousands or even millions of people, we are going to have people die too because we dont have the supplies to handle it.

Again, nobody is defending China.

Weird. Doesnt Italy have single payer healthcare?

You have no idea what it is going to get to, you are just guessing. Hopefully you are right, but if you dont think our medical system getting overwhelmed is a concern by a lot of intelligent people, then you arent paying attention.
Some medical care could be overwhelmed in certain areas. It’s a remote possibility

Weird. Doesnt Italy have single payer healthcare?

Yes, so does South Korea who has handled this about as well as anyone. And we dont and are severely lacking in our testing ability. It's almost like any type of healthcare system can get overwhelmed.

Ok.. this is waaaaay enough talk about one thing. Ventilators

It isnt a remote possibility. It is precisely the reason we are shutting down all of these major events and what not, to try and prevent it from spreading and overwhelming the system.
THAT is why it’s a remote possibility, because your great president is all over this

Where are we? 2500 cases?

Yes, so does South Korea who has handled this about as well as anyone. And we dont and are severely lacking in our testing ability. It's almost like any type of healthcare system can get overwhelmed.

The UK has government health care and they’re basically in the same boat for testing. If this is where you want to make your MFA or government health care pitch, be careful.

The UK has government health care and they’re basically in the same boat for testing. If this is where you want to make your MFA or government health care pitch, be careful.

I didnt bring it up, Crazy did, and I will respond to him as a wish, but thanks for your reply.

People in Italy are dying because of basic lack of medicine and care as well, and that is the concern here as well. I heard last night, that our entire country only has 72,000 respirators. If this does spread to hundreds of thousands or even millions of people, we are going to have people die too because we dont have the supplies to handle it.

Again, nobody is defending China.
Politico ran an article sayin that there are 160k ventilators that could be applied to this, and that doesn’t include the emergency stockpile and military assets. But the question isn’t how many we have as much as how many we will need.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
On one side of the issue, you’ve got Democrat governors blasting the President for lack of clear direction as actually fulfilling their state leadership roles that they were elected for in closing down social venues without needing federal micromanaging. You’ve also got the Democrat mayor of NYC arguing for the nationalization of entire industries.

One the other side of the issue, you’ve got the House Majority Whip, and leading black politician James Clyburn, going on Axios on HBO and all but calling Trump Hitler while equating the US to Germany in the 30’s. This from a leader in the legislative body that voted recently to impeach the President over a minor ethics violation that they decided to represent a fundamental threat to democracy and freedom.

It sure would be nice if the Democrats would find some way to unify their message so that it’s not just a huge trap where Trump is damned if he does anything or nothing at all.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Politico ran an article sayin that there are 160k ventilators that could be applied to this, and that doesn’t include the emergency stockpile and military assets. But the question isn’t how many we have as much as how many we will need.
How many people are taking up hospital beds now?

On Ventilators due to this?

It sure would be nice if the Democrats would find some way to unify their message so that it’s not just a huge trap where Trump is damned if he does anything or nothing at all.
Jesus, EVERYTHING about the federal government's response to the virus has literally been schizophrenic, but you're concerned about the lack of 'unity' in peoples' criticism??!?

Jesus, EVERYTHING about the federal government's response to the virus has literally been schizophrenic, but you're concerned about the lack of 'unity' in peoples' criticism??!?
Ah, I forgot. Your panic level is at maximum. I’ll leave you to it.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/14/health-system-coronavirus-preparation-129066

I assume this is the article you are speaking of (since no one likes to provide links on this board). The article says we only have 62000 full service ventilators, and then another 100k or so that are more basic, which is exactly what I quoted to Mike earlier in the thread. It also says we have a shortage of respiratory therapists, who also of course risk catching the virus.

with regards to the # of ventilators-
That might not be nearly enough. Covid-19 is a brand new disease, and a lot of the needs assessments are based on long-ago flu pandemics. But estimates range from a manageable 64,000 ventilators, if this outbreak is like the 1957 flu, to around 740,000 if it’s more like the 1918 Spanish flu. Based on early data from China, a little more than 2 percent of coronavirus patients require ventilators.

How many people are taking up hospital beds now?

On Ventilators due to this?

It isn't about now. Again, have you seen what is happening in Italy? Literally 2 weeks ago they were going on with their lives as normal, many people not remotely concerned with the virus, and now people are literally dying due to lack of care because the system is completely overwhelmed. By simply looking at raw #s today, you are completely ignoring that virus's spread in an exponential fashion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...0200316-yoqlhyl6yjdqjo2nlpbsouohnm-story.html

Two weeks ago, there were 1,700 cases of coronavirus in Italy and the country had reported 34 deaths. Now, Italy is reporting an estimated 25,000 cases and more than 1,800 people have died.

The U.S. has recorded about 3,800 infections and at least 65 deaths, two-thirds of them in hard-hit Washington state.

Italy has jumped from 1700 cases to 25000 cases in two weeks, and this is spreading here at about the same pace it is spreading in Italy, if not even a bit faster.

Biden shows real leadership. He says he would call in the Army to deal with this.

The national guard has already been called into some areas.
The national guard is not the Army. There are very significant barriers to ever deploying the Army inside of the US borders for anything other than a defensive action against an external invader.

The national guard is not the Army. There are very significant barriers to ever deploying the Army inside of the US borders for anything other than a defensive action against an external invader.

I didnt say the national guard was the army, but Uh, Trump deployed active military at the Southern border. And yes, I know I know, in Trumplandia it is justified because we are at war with Mexican and Guatemalan immigrants or something.

“I would call out the military now,” Biden said at the Democratic presidential debate in Washington, D.C. “They have the ability to provide this surge that hospitals need. ... They have the capacity to build 500 hospital beds and tents that are completely safe and secure. It’s a national emergency, and I would call out the military.”

That is Biden's full quote BTW, he never actually said "Army" either, but of course as usual per usual on this board people don't provide links or quotes so they can just make up what someone says. But who knew building hospital beds and tents was so controversial.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-mobilize-the-military-to-address-coronavirus

Reactions: DaShuckster
Real leaders dont concern themselves with such petty rules.

I didnt say the national guard was the army, but Uh, Trump deployed active military at the Southern border. And yes, I know I know, in Trumplandia it is justified because we are at war with Mexican and Guatemalan immigrants or something.

“I would call out the military now,” Biden said at the Democratic presidential debate in Washington, D.C. “They have the ability to provide this surge that hospitals need. ... They have the capacity to build 500 hospital beds and tents that are completely safe and secure. It’s a national emergency, and I would call out the military.”

That is Biden's full quote BTW, he never actually said "Army" either, but of course as usual per usual on this board people don't provide links or quotes so they can just make up what someone says. But who knew building hospital beds and tents was so controversial.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-mobilize-the-military-to-address-coronavirus

If Biden is only going to do the same thing that we are doing now, it isnt real leadership. The national guard cant build 500-bed hospitals. Clearly he has a better, more well thought out plan when he says that he would call out the military.

If Biden is only going to do the same thing that we are doing now, it isnt real leadership. The national guard cant build 500-bed hospitals. Clearly he has a better, more well thought out plan when he says that he would call out the military.

He didn't say they could build 500 bed hospitals, re-read the quote. It is amazing how you are making what he said such an issue, but in two posts about it now you haven't been accurate about what he said in either post.

Trump has not called up the national guard, this has been individual states, so I would assume Biden is referring to do it on a much larger scale.

He didn't say they could build 500 bed hospitals, re-read the quote. It is amazing how you are making what he said such an issue, but in two posts about it now you haven't been accurate about what he said in either post.

Trump has not called up the national guard, this has been individual states, so I would assume Biden is referring to do it on a much larger scale.

I stand corrected. The military can build 500 hospital beds and tents. Real leadership in action.

Calling upon the military for the extra manpower needed in hospitals and other areas is apparently highly controversial.

But calling upon them to guard our southern border was not.

Calling upon the military for the extra manpower needed in hospitals and other areas is apparently highly controversial.

Yep. The logic amongst these people is something else.

Guns dont kill illegal immigrants, infectious viruses do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT