ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Anything interesting?
pretty good interview, that host out of Miami is really knowledgeable.

Host and Juan were sort of sympathetic towards UCF and Coach Heup. Host brought up that the entire staff leaving with Frost was real damaging to capitalizing on the 13-0 Season on the recruiting trail. It was along the lines that the class is 'good' but could have been a lot better but the circumstances made it tough.

They did mention that Heup has put in the effort with reaching out to Central Florida area high schools like Frost did and the host brought up how bad O'leary was at that. Heup and his staff after the dead period did an Orlando, Tampa, and South Florida HS tour & Juan said that hopefully it makes the recruiting wins more likely for the 2019 and 2020 classes.

Sounds like he may be playing both of us........
that would be 0/3 on the top DB targets this cycle by Shannon if he misses on Wildgoose

if UCF misses on Baldonado it will be a rough finish to this class. There doesn't seem to be any real surprises rumored.

Last edited:
Its more concerning to me that players like Kirby would pick USF. Or Purdy would be looking at a low level P5 program like Iowa State. UCF should be winning the battles for recruits among the G5 (like with Ahmad) and the lower end of P5. Winning the Wildgoose chase against #7 Wisconsin is a different animal.

Unless he’s got some NSD surprises no one knows about, looks like Heup just needs to get the 5 commits signed in the morning and he’ll be able to make a 1:00 tee time.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Unless he’s got some NSD surprises no one knows about, looks like Heup just needs to get the 5 commits signed in the morning and he’ll be able to make a 1:00 tee time.
I believe Wildgoose, Baldonado, and Green are all announcing on signing day so will be a surprise one way or another.

Wasn’t Clark a Frost recruit? Gainous has the same rating as Bethel. Bethel and potentially Wildgoose are both going to top 15 P5 programs. Bethel is staying home. It will be tough to consistently win those battles.
Corey Bell and Shannon were trying with Clark. Bethel was expected, I find losing the Dr Phillips guys to be the most frustrating. It's beneficial in so many ways to have those guys part of UCF's Program

I agree with you on Kirby being the most disappointing flip. UCF's Program has accomplished more yet we still lose head to head recruiting battles with USF, that shouldn't happen

Reactions: Knight59
Everyone remembers that the ENTIRE football staff left in December, right? And that the recruiting of a player usually lasts 1-2 years, if not longer? And we're worried about what Heup and UCF "should" be doing this season? We "should" be happy that we have the class that we have all things considered.
Somebody actually gets it. Quality response

Reactions: KnightLife1
Corey Bell and Shannon were trying with Clark. Bethel was expected, I find losing the Dr Phillips guys to be the most frustrating. It's beneficial in so many ways to have those guys part of UCF's Program

I agree with you on Kirby being the most disappointing flip. UCF's Program has accomplished more yet we still lose head to head recruiting battles with USF, that shouldn't happen
Agreed. Kirby was a very disappointing loss

Reactions: KnightLife1
Everyone remembers that the ENTIRE football staff left in December, right? And that the recruiting of a player usually lasts 1-2 years, if not longer? And we're worried about what Heup and UCF "should" be doing this season? We "should" be happy that we have the class that we have all things considered.
I agree 100%! What I meant is Heup needs to get the 5 signed ASAP tomorrow so there’s no chance of any last minute poaching. This class could have been a disaster but the staff was able to keep most as well as add a few quality players. If we could add to it great; if not we brought in a lot of needed depth.

I believe Wildgoose, Baldonado, and Green are all announcing on signing day so will be a surprise one way or another.

Looks like we probably sign Green, Wildgoose is 50/50 shot and Baldonado is probably going to Pitt

He wants to live in a big city and was impressed by playing in the Steelers stadium. However he probably transfers to UCF after the first winter.

I went to Pitt for grad school. I enjoyed my time, but there is ZERO support for the football program within the school or the city. It’s an academic school with a huge make up of international students that don’t care about college football. They love Pitt basketball, but it’s a pro-sports town all the way.

Maybe someone should point out to him that the team from Florida came in there and kicked the “Pitt” out of the Steelers on that field!

Dude really chose Pitt? They haven't been relevant since Alex Van Pelt. They have good RBs but not much else recently.

Dyllon Lester went from .80 to .82 in 247 after Tennessee offered. Gotta love the rating system.

I think he could be a sleeper. Everybody was focused on the CBs on that team and might have missed Lester. Just playing next to those CBs makes him better.

Nice completion percentage and TD/Int ratio. Also runs a 4.6 40 but short like Milton.

he's literally Milton jr.....effortless throwing motion and gets rid of it in a hurry....quick, can run and about the same size too....if we want to continue with these physical attributes at quarterback (which I'm in favor of) he's an interesting prospect...

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
he's literally Milton jr.....effortless throwing motion and gets rid of it in a hurry....quick, can run and about the same size too....if we want to continue with these physical attributes at quarterback (which I'm in favor or) he's an interesting prospect...
if UCF is going to reach on a prospect after striking out I always prefer it to be a local product and maybe that would stop the drought with Jones HS in the future

Reactions: hardcoreknight
Exactly. And I checked each year going back to 2010, and with our current 18 recruits, the average recruit rating of this year so far is .8398. This is the 2nd highest since 2010, which was the only year where we exceeded 84 with a .8412 average. So Heupe and team actually have a chance to pull in the best class as graded by average rating per recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT