ADVERTISEMENT

Rising Covid cases

I’m a RN at a major health system in Orlando and I can tell you without a doubt this is the worst things have been since the start of the pandemic.

We have been code black (at capacity) system wide since last week. During the peak of the first surge we had two ICUs and 2 PCUs designated for covid patients. Right now nearly all of the floors in my tower alone have covid patients on them. My unit has been downsized and moved to another floor in the hospital to make room for more covid patients. Patient ratios in some ICUs have moved from 1:1 or 2:1 to 3:1. And up to 5 or 6:1 for PCUs. Just a few months ago we had just one ICU and PCU for covid patients. Us nurses are burning out. Many have quit to do travel nursing where you can at least make double the money while being miserable. They’re so desperate for RNs they’re offering ridiculous money to pick up just one extra shift.

The fact is we’re tired of this crap, and to hear people doubt this is a real thing is just a gut punch. We’re seeing a lot of younger people even in they’re 20’s and 30s coming in. According to what we’ve heard 97% of them have not been vaccinated and those that have been vaccinated either got Johnson and Johnson or are immune compromised. People just don’t understand that it’s not just the death toll. It’s the fact that these people are taking beds away from people that need them.
Good God listen ..If a Rn is telling u this then why are many of u idiots...ohhh let me guess They are covering up lies by the left...Guys this should not be political. The only freedom u lost is to the fake news u follow. Man up and show respect.

Last edited:
I also think that what hospital are calling “at capacity” is being at full capacity after renaming any bed that they could attach a respirator to as an ICU bed.
As somebody (an RN, I think), they have 1 nurse taking care of 4-5 patients at the same time, which is not normal.

I’m a RN at a major health system in Orlando and I can tell you without a doubt this is the worst things have been since the start of the pandemic.

We have been code black (at capacity) system wide since last week. During the peak of the first surge we had two ICUs and 2 PCUs designated for covid patients. Right now nearly all of the floors in my tower alone have covid patients on them. My unit has been downsized and moved to another floor in the hospital to make room for more covid patients. Patient ratios in some ICUs have moved from 1:1 or 2:1 to 3:1. And up to 5 or 6:1 for PCUs. Just a few months ago we had just one ICU and PCU for covid patients. Us nurses are burning out. Many have quit to do travel nursing where you can at least make double the money while being miserable. They’re so desperate for RNs they’re offering ridiculous money to pick up just one extra shift.

The fact is we’re tired of this crap, and to hear people doubt this is a real thing is just a gut punch. We’re seeing a lot of younger people even in they’re 20’s and 30s coming in. According to what we’ve heard 97% of them have not been vaccinated and those that have been vaccinated either got Johnson and Johnson or are immune compromised. People just don’t understand that it’s not just the death toll. It’s the fact that these people are taking beds away from people that need them.

Thank you for what you do. You and all the other RN's at AdventHealth (and Orlando Health) are heroes.

I’m working in Meridian, MS. This backwoods, podunk state won’t even allow you to get Claritin-D without a prescription. Just because they can’t stop meth production shouldn’t mean I have to suffer. I’ve had a headache for 2 straight days (ragweed is very high) while working 10 hour days doing intensive testing. I called in a virtual visit and explicitly told the guy to order me Walitin -D (the Walgreen’s version of Claritin-D). Before driving to the pharmacy I called it to make sure the Rx was there. He ordered me some kind of children’s cough medicine that cost $3.83. So, even though I hit my max out-of-pocket from back surgery and this cost me nothing (and didn’t go get the useless medicine), I’m certain the virtual visit probably cost $100 easy plus my time, plus their time. I just thought since we were on a tirade of idiocy, I’d throw in yet another example of idiocy that could be avoided because politicians thought it would be cool to punish everybody so they could attempt, and fail, to punish criminals.

Go Knights! Just weeks away from kickoff!

Just got back from a trip to MD/DC/VA. Universities up there are getting serious about not playing any non-vaccinated teams. Seems to be a growing sentiment. How’re the Knights doing? Forfeiting is not an option!

Loving that the unwitting willingly out themselves. It’s all on the record. Keep showing.
You talk a lot like the Proud boys. I hear the same rhetoric from them. Basically push false narratives then pound your chest like you won a contest While telling others they are wrong while facts State otherwise. Basically Alt Right lies when this post is about Covid and getting the shot...While you post about how u love your party...This post is about Covid not about you flexing your Flaccid thoughts..

Thank you for your dedication. It must be frustrating that people are making your job harder by not getting vaccinated.

I posted this on the Gator board. Some of them could use a cold splash of reality.

Such horse shit. I’ll throw down with anyone that wants to pull the card “ I work at a hospital”. Bull spit.
Maybe I missed it, but what is your reasoning to be so against this vaccine? Are you against all vaccines or just this one? And why?

Maybe I missed it, but what is your reasoning to be so against this vaccine? Are you against all vaccines or just this one? And why?
I just got fully vaccinated a few days ago, so why did I wait so long?

I am not anti vaccine, but the idea of getting the shot was scary. In my opinion the vaccine was rushed and the long term effects (if any) of the vaccine are still unknown. People also having adverse reactions to the vaccine only increased my hesitancy in getting the shot. Looking at the statistics there are roughly 330M people in the U.S. There has been 36.7M confirmed cases and 621K deaths which makes up roughly 10.19% and 0.17% of the population respectively. The positive Covid case number is probably much higher and the death rate is probably lower (if you died in a car crash and had Covid, it counts as a Covid case.........). My kids have been in daycare/school since the beginning of the pandemic and we have taken several vacations to crowded places (with and without masks on). Though we have never had a Covid test to confirm, I am fairly certain we have all had Covid at one point. Our symptoms were always minor (runny nose, slight cough, etc.), so getting the Covid shot to me seemed unnecessary, especially since the shot does not prevent you from catching Covid. The number of deaths was also not concerning enough for me to go put an unknown / untested substance in my body.

So what made me get the shot?

Two things: 1. Recently I had a new born baby, so I want to make sure he is protected at all costs since he is a newborn 2. If my kids are possibly going to get the shot in the future, I wanted to test it on myself first. If it was not for my new born, I probably would still be unvaccinated (especially with the effectiveness of the vaccines waning and boosters shots needed in the future).

Thoughts on the Vaccine now that I have the shot?

My only side effect from the vaccine was a soar arm at the injection site. My concerns about that long term effects (if any) are still there, but overall I am glad that I am protected.

Please respect everyone decision, whether they are vaccinated or not. Everyone wants to do what they think is right for themselves and their families.

My mom is very skeptical about the origins and threat level of covid but she got the shot. My mother and father in law were long time objectors but now have the shot. Brother in law is an EMT but also a conspiracy theorist and he's come around too.

I'm not sure how much everyone knows about vaccines but just because it's newly approved doesn't mean it hasn't been tested. In drug development, research subjects are closely monitored for adverse events. Just about any medical trouble a person has is logged and monitored. It's an extremely thorough process. Of note is the Thalidomide scandal. The only "rush" to the development process for the covid vaccines was enabled by cutting red tape. Similar to what should have been done (sooner) during the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

Heres an article from conservative outlet Heritage.org during the HIV/AIDS epidemic talking about the FDA being too slow to act:

Wiki about the Thalidomide scandal: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide_scandal

I just got fully vaccinated a few days ago, so why did I wait so long?

I am not anti vaccine, but the idea of getting the shot was scary. In my opinion the vaccine was rushed and the long term effects (if any) of the vaccine are still unknown. People also having adverse reactions to the vaccine only increased my hesitancy in getting the shot. Looking at the statistics there are roughly 330M people in the U.S. There has been 36.7M confirmed cases and 621K deaths which makes up roughly 10.19% and 0.17% of the population respectively. The positive Covid case number is probably much higher and the death rate is probably lower (if you died in a car crash and had Covid, it counts as a Covid case.........). My kids have been in daycare/school since the beginning of the pandemic and we have taken several vacations to crowded places (with and without masks on). Though we have never had a Covid test to confirm, I am fairly certain we have all had Covid at one point. Our symptoms were always minor (runny nose, slight cough, etc.), so getting the Covid shot to me seemed unnecessary, especially since the shot does not prevent you from catching Covid. The number of deaths was also not concerning enough for me to go put an unknown / untested substance in my body.

So what made me get the shot?

Two things: 1. Recently I had a new born baby, so I want to make sure he is protected at all costs since he is a newborn 2. If my kids are possibly going to get the shot in the future, I wanted to test it on myself first. If it was not for my new born, I probably would still be unvaccinated (especially with the effectiveness of the vaccines waning and boosters shots needed in the future).

Thoughts on the Vaccine now that I have the shot?

My only side effect from the vaccine was a soar arm at the injection site. My concerns about that long term effects (if any) are still there, but overall I am glad that I am protected.

Please respect everyone decision, whether they are vaccinated or not. Everyone wants to do what they think is right for themselves and their families.

Incorrect.

QUESTION:
Are people who have died in car accidents counted as COVID-19 deaths?
ANSWER:
No. There is a two-level system in place to make sure death counts are accurate.
The Verify team found a case in which someone's death after a motor vehicle accident was inaccurately attributed to COVID-19. But that case has since been fixed.
SOURCES:

Good God listen ..If a Rn is telling u this then why are many of u idiots...ohhh let me guess They are covering up lies by the left...Guys this should not be political. The only freedom u lost is to the fake news u follow. Man up and show respect.
Its ok, lets invite obama each game to celebrate his 60th bday and nobody will bat an eye.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
I am an acute care nurse practitioner and UCF nursing professor. I maintain a very busy clinical practice. I can tell you firsthand, the hospitals are absolute war zones right now. I have never in my 21-year career seen anything remotely close to what I experienced working this weekend.

ICU RNs were shipped down to the ED—taking care of critical patients in observation beds in the ED because the ICU is completely FULL of COVID-19 patients, patients lining the hallways coughing on one another both within and BEHIND the ED because there are no rooms available to isolate them, patient acuity levels absolutely through the roof! It’s unreal.

I personally had 2 patients die today, one who was just 25! Essentially NONE of these patients are vaccinated. And the very few who are have immunocompromised states or other issues at play. It is just unbelievable! And the sad thing is, it’s practically preventable.

I am absolutely exhausted. RNs and even physicians are burnt to a crisp over this thing. My close friend, an ED RN, told me yesterday he feels like he’s working in a third world country. GET VACCINATED friends. Take care of yourselves and the ones you love.

I am an acute care nurse practitioner and UCF nursing professor. I maintain a very busy clinical practice. I can tell you firsthand, the hospitals are absolute war zones right now. I have never in my 21-year career seen anything remotely close to what I experienced working this weekend.

ICU RNs were shipped down to the ED—taking care of critical patients in observation beds in the ED because the ICU is completely FULL of COVID-19 patients, patients lining the hallways coughing on one another both within and BEHIND the ED because there are no rooms available to isolate them, patient acuity levels absolutely through the roof! It’s unreal.

I personally had 2 patients die today, one who was just 25! Essentially NONE of these patients are vaccinated. And the very few who are have immunocompromised states or other issues at play. It is just unbelievable! And the sad thing is, it’s practically preventable.

I am absolutely exhausted. RNs and even physicians are burnt to a crisp over this thing. My close friend, an ED RN, told me yesterday he feels like he’s working in a third world country. GET VACCINATED friends. Take care of yourselves and the ones you love.
Weird how this will be “fake news” to the certain many. I have been seeing so many of these anti-vaccers Sending out video of how they wished they got the vaccine after it’s too late. That sucks man, thank you for what you do, I couldn’t imagine doing it.

Wait till that incoherent dude that’s plugged into the labs across the region sees this. He’s gonna be big mad.

Weird how this will be “fake news” to the certain many. I have been seeing so many of these anti-vaccers Sending out video of how they wished they got the vaccine after it’s too late. That sucks man, thank you for what you do, I couldn’t imagine doing it.
It’s always fake news until you’re lying there on that hospital bed on a ventilator not able to even see or say goodbye to your loved ones. Don’t make this shit political, get a vaccine. This “it’s your choice” stuff is ridiculous, it’s not all about you here, it’s about everyone you interact with. Anti-vaccers are also the anti-maskers, who are also the ones going out and spreading this stuff at the grocery market, etc. be better, care about someone more than just yourself or stay the **** home!

The majority of people who want the vaccine have taken it. Those that don't want it have very good reasons for not taking it. Each person needs to make a decision for themselves. At some point we as a society need to let grown adults make decisions for themselves regardless of the outcome. If you are vaccinated why would you care if the person next to you isn't. Is it because you are afraid the vaccine won't work? I for one have been vaccinated. But, I will not say that everybody must get it. Nobody knows for sure the long term consequences of this vaccine that has been rushed for approval.

The majority of people who want the vaccine have taken it. Those that don't want it have very good reasons for not taking it. Each person needs to make a decision for themselves. At some point we as a society need to let grown adults make decisions for themselves regardless of the outcome. If you are vaccinated why would you care if the person next to you isn't. Is it because you are afraid the vaccine won't work? I for one have been vaccinated. But, I will not say that everybody must get it. Nobody knows for sure the long term consequences of this vaccine that has been rushed for approval.
The question is not how it directly impacts a vaccinated individual. It's how it impacts the health care system, and the ability for hospitals to provide care for everyone (not COVID patients). Reduced efficiency at a hospital impacts anyone that steps through those doors. Everyone is entitled to live how they want to live, but there is consequences that impact others. Those that had elective procedures delayed and those that waited in emergencies rooms longer than normal care. Nevermind the hospital staff that are burned out and getting sick because they have to be around a significant amount of infected patients continuously.

Everyone should do what's best for them, but I think an individual should reassess their decisions when circumstances evolve. The situation now is not the same it was in April 2020, and in 2022 it will likely be different than what it is now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT