ADVERTISEMENT

The Coaching Thread

:rolleyes:
I’m actually glad we’re not hiring another HC that’s an “experiment.” While Lebby was liked, he would have been another experiment as HC. Sometimes it works. Most times it doesn’t.
I would have liked Lebby also but the reality is if he excelled for the next two years he would be gone just like everyone else. We would be doing this all over again in two years. Maybe even if Gus does well he’ll stay more than two years although I could see some team in the P5 grabbing him if he does.

I am not saying it is ideal but let's say BOT gave a thumbs down to Lebby bc off the field past look at the other candidates. Lashlee? He worked under Malzahn. Longo? don't know much about him. A Coach from the Mac?

It is mid February and UCF doesn't have a full coaching staff, Malzahn doesn't look bad when you put it into that context. If Heup leaves in December maybe the process is more wide for candidates like Elliot & Graham Harrell
I think I would rather have waited, keeping Shannon as an interim and searched again early next year rather than be locked in with a coach which as you say is not ideal.

:rolleyes:

I would have liked Lebby also but the reality is if he excelled for the next two years he would be gone just like everyone else. We would be doing this all over again in two years. Maybe even if Gus does well he’ll stay more than two years although I could see some team in the P5 grabbing him if he does.
Lebby lived in my neighborhood. He would have ABSOLUTELY been gone in two years with success at UCF. His wife is Brile’s daughter and there are strong TX family ties, so he gone at the first HC call from a SEC or Big12 school. I’m done with the HC roller coaster. Nearly impossible to keep things rolling with coaches changes.

Lebby lived in my neighborhood. He would have ABSOLUTELY been gone in two years with success at UCF. His wife is Brile’s daughter and there are strong TX family ties, so he gone at the first HC call from a SEC or Big12 school. I’m done with the HC roller coaster. Nearly impossible to keep things rolling with coaches changes.
but also the last thing you want is to be stuck with an 8-5 coach thats the 5th best team every year, no one comes knocking and you have nothing to play for. Pretty much being every AAC school besides UCF, Cincy, Memphis

Reactions: Yaes
but also the last thing you want is to be stuck with an 8-5 coach thats the 5th best team every year, no one comes knocking and you have nothing to play for. Pretty much being every AAC school besides UCF, Cincy, Memphis

Gus could get a call even at 8-5. He won't have to go undefeated or even win the conference to get a call back up to P5.

I get that perspective. I really do. However, time will tell which type of coach is better for UCF. If Gus leaves in 3 years for another SEC gig, we should have gone with a coach like Lebby. If Gus stays and builds sustaining success, it will be better for the program. We’ll know in 3-4 years.

Reactions: Endeavor.
What National Championship?
NCAA record Book page 115. You don’t have to like it, you don’t have to acknowledge it but that is reality. Why should we not acknowledge what we earned, like most other teams. Bama claims titles from years they lost their Bowl games, which means that’s crap. Plenty of other teams did as well. Just a few years ago Oklahoma State claimed a Natty for 1945 (or sometime around then). I didn’t hear anybody complaining about that. Why, because that’s what the rules state. Let there be a real playoff and the champ will be standalone. Not some cheap imitation, invitational where 13 people sit in a room and decide who is better based on their own opinions and never have to explain themselves. It’s such a great format no other sport uses it. Under the CFI committee Tampa would have been left out of the NFL playoffs.

Last edited:
‪Does he say Central Florida or UCF? In his peach bowl post game he congratulated Central Florida.‬

‪GUS MALZAHN: “First of all, like to congratulate Central Florida and Coach Frost, very good football team. They played very good today.”‬

Malzahn was just 8-17 against SEC rivals Alabama, Georgia and LSU,

• Haha
Reactions: hemightbejeremy
And it was the failures against Georgia which were most unacceptable to Auburn fans. Gus did better against Bama and LSU -- who win championships -- than against Georgia, who has not won a MNC since 1980.

I mean you are correct, but just for some context 15 of those 25 games were against teams ranked in the top 6. 7 were against the #1 ranked team in the country (3-4 record). Auburn year in and year out had about the toughest strength of schedule of any team in the country and he still had them bowling each and every season. Again, nobody is saying he’s an elite coach but given the circumstances is more than we could have asked for.

yea but it's Alabama, Georgia and LSU...
lets be real Ohio State/Notre Dame isn't getting a winning record against them if they played every year. Name one coach going 17-8 vs those schools.

Interested to see if there is another opponent with a better record against those teams than Auburn had over the past 8 season.
Nobody else played all three with the frequency of Auburn. (And for a long time they played Florida every year!)

Auburn lost to South Carolina this past year.

Nobody else played all three with the frequency of Auburn. (And for a long time they played Florida every year!)

Auburn lost to South Carolina this past year.
Do you think many teams would have a winning % greater than 30% against Alabama, Georgia, and LSU over the past decade? Honestly?

No, I was just replying strictly that nobody had the gauntlet that Auburn has, so there is no direct comparison.
Surely there are other teams in the conference that have played them at least semi regularly over the past decade to see if they fared better than 30%

TAMU is a decently good example. They have unlimited resources. They are 2-15 over the past 8 years against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. Or about average I would say. One of the wins was the 7 OT debacle in 2018 vs LSU. And the other was 2020 LSU.

Last edited:
Surely there are other teams in the conference that have played them at least semi regularly over the past decade to see if they fared better than 30%
In the SEC now, teams have 1 permanent crossover while the other crossover rotates among the other 6 in the other division. Previously, SEC had two permanent crossovers, and Auburn had Georgia and Florida.

Any team in West plays Alabama and LSU every year, some never played Georgia during Gus's tenure at Auburn

TAMU is a decently good example. They have unlimited resources. They are 2-15 over the past 8 years against Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. Or about average I would say. One of the wins was the 7 OT debacle in 2018 vs LSU. And the other was 2020 LSU.
It looks like Jimbo Fisher is putting things together at A&M now. Most of your citation is Sumlin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT