ADVERTISEMENT

The Coaching Thread

It looks like Jimbo Fisher is putting things together at A&M now. Most of your citation is Sumlin.
Or he got lucky after LSU gave their coach a Gatorade bath in 2018 and beat a terrible LSU in 2020 (a team Auburn hammered by 37). I guess we will find out. He is 3-7 against Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn. Not a big departure from 8-17. Reasonable. And about what could be expected.

I mean you are correct, but just for some context 15 of those 25 games were against teams ranked in the top 6. 7 were against the #1 ranked team in the country (3-4 record). Auburn year in and year out had about the toughest strength of schedule of any team in the country and he still had them bowling each and every season. Again, nobody is saying he’s an elite coach but given the circumstances is more than we could have asked for.
Still sounds as though many of you are saying he wasn't quite good enough for the big boys but he's good enough for UCF.

Still sounds as though many of you are saying he wasn't quite good enough for the big boys but he's good enough for UCF.
He was good enough for the big boys. He held his own with the toughest schedules over the past 8 years. National coach of the year, national championship appearance. SEC west titles. 3 wins over Saban. Auburn is not a blue blood but has to compete with 3 blue bloods on a yearly basis. He left a program that is disadvantaged in comparison to his division peers to come to a program that has every practical advantage over most conference foes.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Interested to see if there is another opponent with a better record against those teams than Auburn had over the past 8 season.
Would we be happy saying UCF had a better record against the top three teams in our conference?

‪Does he say Central Florida or UCF? In his peach bowl post game he congratulated Central Florida.‬

‪GUS MALZAHN: “First of all, like to congratulate Central Florida and Coach Frost, very good football team. They played very good today.”‬

He said USC... I won't hold it against him, as long as he wins!!!

That is certainly true. Can't argue that and I certainly all of you who are excited about this hire are correct and I am wrong.
I’m undecided. I rarely get too excited or deflated until I see on field performance.

Can you reframe the question into something coherent?
You were touting his record against top teams in his conference. Hell we did well then in our conference under Heup the last three years. We only lost those games by a few points. My point is we lost them just like Gus lost them. Look, I get it you like him and you think he is going to be great for UCF. I hope you are right. But, Jeremy, you defended Heup when the rest of us were upset with him.

You were touting his record against top teams in his conference. Hell we did well then in our conference under Heup the last three years. We only lost those games by a few points. My point is we lost them just like Gus lost them. Look, I get it you like him and you think he is going to be great for UCF. I hope you are right. But, Jeremy, you defended Heup when the rest of us were upset with him.
I never said any of the things you attribute to me. I think he’s a good coach but not excellent or elite. He’s about what a UCF can draw at this point in a February. His 8-17 record against literally the top teams in the entire country is perfectly reasonable. It doesn’t make him an elite top tier coach, but it is as good or better than 90% of the coaches in FBS would do. I would have preferred a Lebby hire, but given the other options if Lebby is off the table Gus is the clear second choice.

Reactions: Endeavor.
Malzahn was just 8-17 against SEC rivals Alabama, Georgia and LSU,
Who else has a record that good against those same teams....nobody. He’s 6-10 against Bama/LSU. Throw Texas A&M in there as well.

I woke up this morning upset about the hire.

As the day wore on I was seemingly more and more okay with the fact that we had a coach who just wasn't Heupel and actually has a nice pedigree despite being in his mid 50's.

I logged off of that press conference PUMPED! He has such a good aura about him. He understands this program and is really committed to building us up.

This is as good as we could have hoped for. I, for one, am super excited.

Nobody else played all three with the frequency of Auburn. (And for a long time they played Florida every year!)

Auburn lost to South Carolina this past year.
@South Carolina....those darn road conference games. We automatically win them all as well. They also lost @Georgia and @Bama. They lost at home to Texas A&M. Bama won a Natty. A&M finished #4. Georgia finished #8. He wasn’t coaching the Bowl game.

@South Carolina....those darn road conference games. We automatically win them all as well. They also lost @Georgia and @Bama. They lost at home to Texas A&M. Bama won a Natty. A&M finished #4. Georgia finished #8. He wasn’t coaching the Bowl game.

The dude has never had a losing season as a head coach with 8 of 9 seasons as a coach in the SEC west division.

Tulsa is a much better team -- much more justifiable road loss -- than South Carolina. South Carolina fired their coach and paid a $13M buyout for reasons. (As Auburn fans would say about their $21.5M buyout and firing.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT