ADVERTISEMENT

The Coaching Thread

I never said any of the things you attribute to me. I think he’s a good coach but not excellent or elite. He’s about what a UCF can draw at this point in a February. His 8-17 record against literally the top teams in the entire country is perfectly reasonable. It doesn’t make him an elite top tier coach, but it is as good or better than 90% of the coaches in FBS would do. I would have preferred a Lebby hire, but given the other options if Lebby is off the table Gus is the clear second choice.
Sorry if I misunderstood or misrepresented you. I will concede his is better that many of the coaches in the FBS. I think we all wish him well. I did like his press conference and I particularly like his comments on recruiting that I have read. I also like that he is already assembling a staff and looks to bring in top talent in that regard.

I would love for UCF to hire Napier but I don't know how much interest he would have. The man appears to be waiting for the right P5 job, possibly in the SEC.

Something is strange when Auburn, U. Tenn and U. of South Carolina all passed on Napier. On paper Napier sounds great but I wonder why some P5 schools pasted on him?

I'll take another helping of CROW please. It is clear that people who know a lot more about coaching talent than I ever will, rate UCF's hire as an A+. Newscasters, Newswriters, and more importantly, former players and P5 coaches sing the praises of Coach GM. They are convinced UCF couldn't have hired a better coach if we tried. Now obviously the real test is on the field, but in the meantime, pass me some more CROW!!!

I'll take another helping of CROW please. It is clear that people who know a lot more about coaching talent than I ever will, rate UCF's hire as an A+. Newscasters, Newswriters, and more importantly, former players and P5 coaches sing the praises of Coach GM. They are convinced UCF couldn't have hired a better coach if we tried. Now obviously the real test is on the field, but in the meantime, pass me some more CROW!!!
I’ll wait for the games and recruiting. Still unknown.

I like the hire. I had two Auburn Alumni fans 'warn' me about him. I'm like shrugging that off...at the end of the day (heupel coachspeak), and after the coaching carousel stopped, UCF, 'on-paper', turns out to have gone 1-0 (heupspeak). We get 3.5 million from Tennessee, dump a yet unproven Heup as head coach, get an enthusiastic AD (gonna miss DW, but whatev), AND end up paying 2 mil for a 4 or 5 million a year head coach. Manzahl is going to work very hard to get back on top and has the experience to do that. I liked the press conference. He sounds enthused. Could just be the typical coachspeak, but I truly believe he is all in on UCF. A new chapter in UCF football history. Of course proof is in the pudding and yet to be determined, but on day +1 i'm all in on supporting Coach Malzahn and for him to Make UCF Great Again.... Go Knights!

Pretty good interview. Seeing CGM sweating in the IPF while I'm freezing my a** off in a foot of snow is a weird experience. I can feel myself sweating like that.

*cough* Cam Newton *cough* BCSChampionship winner with Malzahn as OC (2010)
Nick Marshall *cough* BCS Championship game loser with Malzahn as HC (2013)

...and then generally downward trends in offense (his specialty) and overall team success until his recent firing.

Malzahn "recruited" 5* QB Mr Alabama Football Bo Nix, but the team's decline (primarily offensive decline, and Nix's lack of consistency) led to Malzahn's firing (to hear it from Auburn fans. I have not studied this in-depth. My biggest concern about Malzahn is that he would not be fully committed and invested into the mission of elevating UCF with that enormous no-offset buyout he is getting.)

So Malzahn had great offensive success with two quarterbacks early, then spotty success thereafter, including with that 5*. I think he is better than Strong and Sumlin, but not worlds better.

(Nix is a legacy Auburn recruit, hence I use "" around "recruit" with respect to Malzahn's relationship to Bo Nix.)

With this logic DG*cough* 2022 or 2023 National Championship.

Talked to a Bama friend who also attended UCF. He always said Malzahn was a bad coach so I asked him about his fit at UCF. Says he hates the hire for UCF because Malzahn's offense often looks exactly like Heup's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT