ADVERTISEMENT

Trump pledging a cool million of his personal money to Houston refugees

I hope he actually follows through with it. My fear is that he won't, like many of his previous empty promises regarding charitable donations. I'm mostly concerned because this announcement came through his press secretary, not himself.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I hope he actually follows through with it. My fear is that he won't, like many of his previous empty promises regarding charitable donations. I'm mostly concerned because this announcement came through his press secretary, not himself.
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Now hold on!

Are you talking about the veterans fund raising and donation in spring of 2016? Do you know the full story on that? No, of course you don't ... otherwise you wounldn't have said anything.

As most know ... Trump decided to skip the Fox debate and have a veteran fund raiser to start 2016, because someone made the suggestion. He raised over $6M in total. Now fast forward after that several months and into spring of 2016 ...

As most do not know ... over half of the donors pulled out, because Trump was getting negative publicity in the US media. Trump's fund raising team was scrambling to find replacements, and that's why they did not send the money. I mean, promising $6M but sending less than $3M? It would be a PR nightmare.

But once the spotlight was put on them, they had no choice, although it did help them find some new donors. They came close, they found about 60% of replacements. Trump then pushed them close to $6M (but not quite), by adding $1M of his own money.

The US media caused the problem in the first place!

Even several of the charities came out, but quickly found that if they 'defended' Trump, they got lambasted, and more donors withheld funds from them! Talk about triple-whammy!

And it gets worse ...

Hillary Clinton made the mistake of opening her mouth, and despite most of the US media ignoring it, the charities did not. Then several of the US media mouthpieces tied to the DNC tried to make the point that the Clinton's gave 6 figures the prior year, and then that was a disaster ... but the US media didn't cover it.

Unlike Trump's selection of charities, over half of the Clinton's veterans charities didn't even make a single, independent charity review list where they were "recommended" or "verified" -- lots of 4-5 figure 'golf charity benefits' and other non-sense. Several veterans associations pointed this out, and it was never covered in the US media.

And there is good evidence that from 2009-2015 (over 7 years), the Clintons grossed just as much as Trump did. Yes, everyone talks about Trump's wealth, but the Clinton's grossed 9 figures of income -- yes, $139M in income (not including the Clinton Global Initiative and Clinton Foundation, which are in the billions)..

And the "charitable Clintons" gave a whole, paultry $105K to veterans charities in 2015, and $70K of that were very, very questionable.

I despise everything Trump stood for, politically, in 2016 (sad, since he used to be a Libertarian, and pro-freedom, far more than the Clintons) ... but people need to back off on his charity work. Seriously.

Trump did good in this regard. The US media did everything to hurt that. It's very sad to see. The US media hurting a good thing.

Reactions: UCFKnightfan08
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Now hold on!

Are you talking about the veterans fund raising and donation in spring of 2016? Do you know the full story on that? No, of course you don't ... otherwise you wounldn't have said anything.

As most know ... Trump decided to skip the Fox debate and have a veteran fund raiser to start 2016, because someone made the suggestion. He raised over $6M in total. Now fast forward after that several months and into spring of 2016 ...

As most do not know ... over half of the donors pulled out, because Trump was getting negative publicity in the US media. Trump's fund raising team was scrambling to find replacements, and that's why they did not send the money. I mean, promising $6M but sending less than $3M? It would be a PR nightmare.

But once the spotlight was put on them, they had no choice, although it did help them find some new donors. They came close, they found about 60% of replacements. Trump then pushed them close to $6M (but not quite), by adding $1M of his own money.

The US media caused the problem in the first place!

Even several of the charities came out, but quickly found that if they 'defended' Trump, they got lambasted, and more donors withheld funds from them! Talk about triple-whammy!

And it gets worse ...

Hillary Clinton made the mistake of opening her mouth, and despite most of the US media ignoring it, the charities did not. Then several of the US media mouthpieces tied to the DNC tried to make the point that the Clinton's gave 6 figures the prior year, and then that was a disaster ... but the US media didn't cover it.

Unlike Trump's selection of charities, over half of the Clinton's veterans charities didn't even make a single, independent charity review list where they were "recommended" or "verified" -- lots of 4-5 figure 'golf charity benefits' and other non-sense. Several veterans associations pointed this out, and it was never covered in the US media.

And there is good evidence that from 2009-2015 (over 7 years), the Clintons grossed just as much as Trump did. Yes, everyone talks about Trump's wealth, but the Clinton's grossed 9 figures of income -- yes, $139M in income (not including the Clinton Global Initiative and Clinton Foundation, which are in the billions)..

And the "charitable Clintons" gave a whole, paultry $105K to veterans charities in 2015, and $70K of that were very, very questionable.

I despise everything Trump stood for, politically, in 2016 (sad, since he used to be a Libertarian, and pro-freedom, far more than the Clintons) ... but people need to back off on his charity work. Seriously.

Trump did good in this regard. The US media did everything to hurt that. It's very sad to see. The US media hurting a good thing.
Nope. Not talking about that. BTW Trump didn't plan on donating his own money to that, but did only when the PR nightmare came about.

What I'm talking about is the several occasions where Trump has pledged money and either failed to deliver that money, or gave it from his foundation, to which he has not contributed of his own money since 2008.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.26ff25e24cad

And on many occasions, Trump pumps himself up as a philanthropist and serves on charitable boards, only to give nothing himself.

And yes, the Clinton Foundation is just as shady. But I didn't mention it or claim that it wasn't.

Nope. Not talking about that. BTW Trump didn't plan on donating his own money to that, but did only when the PR nightmare came about.
Many wealthy people wait until the end to announce. Trump is no different. People ignorant of this demonize such.

But when the shortfall came up because donors pulled out, and not enough could be replaced, he stepped up. Don't shoot anyone for being truly charitable, when they actually are. It's wasn't the media pressure, because ...

The US media caused people to pull out in the first place! Self-fulling prophecy. People calling for people to withdraw donations? That's just cruel. Hate Trump as a politician, not a noble, honest cause he was associated with.

I still cannot believe what went down. People literally caused donors to pull out. I am tired of having to defend Trump on this. It just shows how political people can be, at the cost of a good endeavor.

What I'm talking about is the several occasions where Trump has pledged money and either failed to deliver that money, or gave it from his foundation, to which he has not contributed of his own money since 2008.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b0774c1eaa5_story.html?utm_term=.26ff25e24cad
And yet ... he still gives. That's the thing. Don't knock a good effort he created, just because it made him look good. That's what pisses me off about the early 2016 effort ... the US media was cruel, and every anti-Trump pundit was too.

Now what you're actually arguing here, overall, is whether he 'gives enough.' Maybe it's true he doesn't 'give enough.' But he actually does give! I'm tired of people saying he doesn't, and creating 100% fake news saying he doesn't give at all.

Sorry, but that is very much fake news, even if when Trump says 'fake news,' 98% of the time, he's dead wrong.

And on many occasions, Trump pumps himself up as a philanthropist and serves on charitable boards, only to give nothing himself.
And no other wealthy people do that?! Seriously ... visit most stadiums! They are named the way they are for a reason. ;)

And yes, the Clinton Foundation is just as shady. But I didn't mention it or claim that it wasn't.
Okay, fair enough.

Although don't forget the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI)? ;)

Here's how even handed I am ...

The CF and CGI have given more of the Clintons personal money to charity than Trump's. Now there is a debate on where that money went (don't get me started on the CGI in particular), but they have been 5x as charitable.

However, the Clintons have not addressed veteran organizations well, or really at all, in the past. I didn't care ... until the US media make the stink about Trump in spring of 2016. They were saying they were 'ripping off' veteran organizations. No, the Trumps were dealing with the reality that of the over $6M of pledges, over $3M had pulled out.

Why? Again, the US media's cruelty. "If you are associated with anything Trump ..." yada, yada, yada.

Trump has the Clintons handily beat on veterans organizations, by far. The veteran organizations are always more open to working with Trump than the Clintons, for a reason. Sadly ... the US media eradicated over $3M in pledges, and that's why the Trump's fund raiser got 'stalled.'

It was really sad to watch that self-fulfilling prophecy unfold.

Only problem was it was over eight years, sorry not the same.

You're right, Obama actually made the donations and not just promised it. White House is waffling right now, looks like my praise was a bit premature. Time will tell if Trump will actually follow through, this was my fault: given Trumps track record of straight up lying I guess I should have waited until the check cleared before praising him.

You're right, Obama actually made the donations and not just promised it. White House is waffling right now, looks like my praise was a bit premature. Time will tell if Trump will actually follow through, this was my fault: given Trumps track record of straight up lying I guess I should have waited until the check cleared before praising him.
Sigh ...

No idea about Trump but it's possible he's in the same boat I am- not knowing what avenue to donate that will actually go to Harvey victims.

This story is one of many that show the Red Cross CEO has no friggin idea how much money donated actually goes to Harvey victims. I don't want to donate if my money may just end up funding some new office building or not going to Harvey impacted families.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...rtion-of-donations-will-go-directly-to-harvey

It's very hard to find ways to donate where you are 100% assured money is going straight to people who need it. I remember after Katrina they found that something like $700M were missing in the recovery effort.

Obama made over $10MM in office from book sales and salary. Interesting that Trump had to separate himself from his income and chose not to accept a presidential salary. Oh how liberals are so two faced.

Obama made over $10MM in office from book sales and salary. Interesting that Trump had to separate himself from his income and chose not to accept a presidential salary. Oh how liberals are so two faced.
I'm just tired of the blind assumptions and political alignments. So few can be objective any more. It's either Clinton this, W. this, Obama that, Trump that. Nearly all refuse to give credit and criticism equally.

def3f58b6852490c033aa64fe5548177--political-views-constitution.jpg

Reactions: UCFhonors

If you're going to change the subject after getting embarrassed at least choose something that doesn't embarrass you even further.

That's not really true. You can make money as President, you just cant have Business interests that may intersect with your duties as President. A lame book didn't really check that box.

That said, I think lefties are going apeshit over nothing. It's near impossible to totally remove yourself from 30 years worth of global real estate and licensing deals that have complex agreements and rights of ownership.

That's not really true. You can make money as President, you just cant have Business interests that may intersect with your duties as President. A lame book didn't really check that box.

That said, I think lefties are going apeshit over nothing. It's near impossible to totally remove yourself from 30 years worth of global real estate and licensing deals that have complex agreements and rights of ownership.
The continual conflicts-of-interest of the Clintons comes to mind. Even Obama repeatedly warned Hillary.

Obama is the least of our concerns. Both the Clintons and Trump have been far bigger. The Democrats look like hypocrites, and I don't blame Republicans in Congress who want to investigate the Clintons every time Trump comes up with the Democrats.

I mean, even the FBI repeatedly wanted to, but the DoJ shot it down every time ... until the CIA and DoD finally brought evidence of classified spillage. At that point the DoJ couldn't stop that small portion, although it still tried.

Which goes back to my view ...

I don't trust either the Clinton's or Trump. Although I'm tired if hearing about only Trump.

Trump is like Bill Clinton, oblivious to conflicts-of-interest. What concerns me more are some of his family, like Hillary Clinton, very, very astute to hiding them, and purposely circumventing the reasons why public officials, and their families, are not supposed to use their positions for personal gain.

So as much as I can call out the hypocrisy, it's definitely both parties.

If you're going to change the subject after getting embarrassed at least choose something that doesn't embarrass you even further.
I know you struggle with actual debates so I will rehash it for you. This is the actual subject which was about Trump donating $1,000,000 to the hurricane relief. You, the fool in the debate as always, tried to compare Obama giving $1,000,000 to Trump's donation. I pointed out the difference, which was Obama has done it over an eight year period. If you give Trump that same time, his salary alone will equal $3.2MM. Now look in the mirror, that reflection is the idiot of this board.

I know you struggle with actual debates so I will rehash it for you. This is the actual subject which was about Trump donating $1,000,000 to the hurricane relief. You, the fool in the debate as always, tried to compare Obama giving $1,000,000 to Trump's donation. I pointed out the difference, which was Obama has done it over an eight year period. If you give Trump that same time, his salary alone will equal $3.2MM. Now look in the mirror, that reflection is the idiot of this board.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT