ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Hires Missouri offensive coordinator Josh Heupel as their new head football coach

Offense was effective against low end SEC teams and totally useless against Georgia, Auburn and Purdue. Perhaps its because of his coach Barry Odom?

You might want to look at the Georgia stats again. Mizzou scored on UGA... just not enough.

Mizzou had one of the strangest seasons in CFB. We started 1-5; then won our last six. In the Georgia game, the offense started to click.

That Purdue game was, by far, the low point. I was in the stands. Worst performance I've seen ever for an MU team in 20 years. They came out flat.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
There were just 180 offensive snaps in our conference championship game, we're used to watching fast football.

Offense was effective against low end SEC teams and totally useless against Georgia, Auburn and Purdue. Perhaps its because of his coach Barry Odom?
Just looking at the game log, the had 4 turnovers against Auburn, but matched them pretty well otherwise. This was a team that was a NC contender. They put up 34 vs Kentucky and 28 vs Georgia in losses. I'm not ready to write off his offense just yet. The reality is UCFs schedule will be more along the lines of the teams that Missouri was playing late in the season.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Wow, people are totally freaking out up here. If that's the measure of a good hire, then

O4x0zuG.gif

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Just looking at the game log, the had 4 turnovers against Auburn, but matched them pretty well otherwise. This was a team that was a NC contender. They put up 34 vs Kentucky and 28 vs Georgia in losses. I'm not ready to write off his offense just yet. The reality is UCFs schedule will be more along the lines of the teams that Missouri was playing late in the season.

Mizzou's offense was producing as well as anyone's at the end of the season. He did a remarkable job.

That said, he is NOT the lovable guy Frost may have seemed. Heupel is kind of a dick. Lots of stories breaking now that not everyone at Mizzou was sad to see him go. FWIW.

Mizzou fan here... Mizzou fans are freaking out that Heupel is leaving. We thought he'd be here for one more year. Now, we're concerned Lock will leave for the NFL.

Anyway, some thoughts on Heupel.
- Mizzou ran plays faster than anyone in CFB last year. So, get used to that constant hurry-up. It's great when you have talent, but it can absolutely gas defenses if you're not efficient at it.
- Very, very good QB coach. Drew Lock has grown tremendously under him.
- He does a pretty good job staying true to a 50/50 split run/pass.
- I know Frost liked lean offensive linemen who could run; Heupel is the polar opposite. He loves HUGE offensive lines that play with tight splits and can mash. Mizzou had the heaviest OL in CFB last year.
- WIth the tight splits, it brings in the DL and the LBs close, and it allows more space for receivers to operate. Speaking of receivers...
- I know you guys had an amazing year, and I really didn't get to watch many of your games closely. But if Frost liked to toss it deep, get ready for more of that. I've NEVER seen anyone who likes to throw the deep ball as much as Josh Heupel. Over and over and over.

LEt me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Do you have any intel on how close he was with the players at Mizzou? That's an important job prerequisite that hasn't been covered yet.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
Mizzou's offense was producing as well as anyone's at the end of the season. He did a remarkable job.

That said, he is NOT the lovable guy Frost may have seemed. Heupel is kind of a dick. Lots of stories breaking now that not everyone at Mizzou was sad to see him go. FWIW.
He probably was losing his patience about being the 2nd guy too. I mean he was a candidate for the South Alabama job. That said something to consider. it will be easier on us when he moves on to another job.

If he's a dck, it must be on the down-low. Maybe the players just don't like paying attention or doing what they are told.

You also have to take into account the Challenges at Mizzou, that might be the worst job in the SEC

Mizzou fan here... Mizzou fans are freaking out that Heupel is leaving. We thought he'd be here for one more year. Now, we're concerned Lock will leave for the NFL.

Anyway, some thoughts on Heupel.
- Mizzou ran plays faster than anyone in CFB last year. So, get used to that constant hurry-up. It's great when you have talent, but it can absolutely gas defenses if you're not efficient at it.
- Very, very good QB coach. Drew Lock has grown tremendously under him.
- He does a pretty good job staying true to a 50/50 split run/pass.
- I know Frost liked lean offensive linemen who could run; Heupel is the polar opposite. He loves HUGE offensive lines that play with tight splits and can mash. Mizzou had the heaviest OL in CFB last year.
- WIth the tight splits, it brings in the DL and the LBs close, and it allows more space for receivers to operate. Speaking of receivers...
- I know you guys had an amazing year, and I really didn't get to watch many of your games closely. But if Frost liked to toss it deep, get ready for more of that. I've NEVER seen anyone who likes to throw the deep ball as much as Josh Heupel. Over and over and over.

LEt me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Did he refer to Mizzou as "this place?"

From the sentinel
A source told the Sentinel Walters and Beckton could end up with Frost’s staff at Nebraska, with the coach taking the entire 2017 UCF coaching staff to the Midwest.
This is terrible news. I could see Walters going since he didn't get the HC position, but not Beck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT