ADVERTISEMENT

UCF vs Kansas St Game Thread ⚔️⚔️🖤💛

P5. Everyone can blame Gus but I thought most of the play calling was not too bad and Gus has definitely called worse games for us. Look at any team's forum and someone will be blaming the play calls though
I agree. I didn't think play calling was egregious. We made the flea flicker, and it was a great call based on something the OC saw in the coverage.

They don't show the receivers on TV much, but one can assume our guys had a hard time getting open a lot of the time.

There is blame to place all over, this was a team loss in every sense.

I was expecting to lose this game going into the season, not mad about losing it. I'm more disappointed in how we lost. It was winnable, and more so than I ever would have thought going into it this past week.

We had our chances to get off the field and I think it was twice that we kept a drive alive with a really stupid penalty on Brash and another on Hunter.

Right now Timmy is a good backup, but no more than that. Extremely poor decisions were made at extremely bad times. This was not like, a poorly thrown ball was picked, or he misread coverage. These were true head-scratchers. Lining up behind the guard (again?), the throw to nobody that was picked, the multiple delays of game, and of course the running out of bounds and just taking a huge loss of yards without ever considering throwing it away. He showed his lack of awareness and decision-making a few too many times.

My one knock with the playcalling on the offensive side is I wanted more deep balls. McClain was quite good on them.

For me, the defensive penalties and Timmy's mental errors are what cost us the game. The playcalling was good enough to get us into position to make a few more things happen and the players failed to execute.

I was expecting to lose at the beginning of the season, but this is a game that really was going down to the wire had we not given it away. And that's better than I expected.

There is blame to place all over, this was a team loss in every sense.

I was expecting to lose this game going into the season, not mad about losing it. I'm more disappointed in how we lost. It was winnable, and more so than I ever would have thought going into it this past week.

We had our chances to get off the field and I think it was twice that we kept a drive alive with a really stupid penalty on Brash and another on Hunter.

Right now Timmy is a good backup, but no more than that. Extremely poor decisions were made at extremely bad times. This was not like, a poorly thrown ball was picked, or he misread coverage. These were true head-scratchers. Lining up behind the guard (again?), the throw to nobody that was picked, the multiple delays of game, and of course the running out of bounds and just taking a huge loss of yards without ever considering throwing it away. He showed his lack of awareness and decision-making a few too many times.

My one knock with the playcalling on the offensive side is I wanted more deep balls. McClain was quite good on them.

For me, the defensive penalties and Timmy's mental errors are what cost us the game. The playcalling was good enough to get us into position to make a few more things happen and the players failed to execute.

I was expecting to lose at the beginning of the season, but this is a game that really was going down to the wire had we not given it away. And that's better than I expected.
I agree with almost everything you say except I think Q is better than a backup and will get better with time. Gus needs to play to his strengths which is passing especially the deep ball. We knew going in they KState were weak on pass D and stronger or R D and yet Gus called the opposite game. This was definitely a winnable game and yes there were a number of errors on both sides of the ball but I still place the loss more on Gus. The players were warriors to the end and never gave up. Run defense and tackling definitely are a problem and can we get some good tight ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
I just finished rewatching the game on dvr. Yes, Monday afternoon. I had to do it. No distractions while watching like I had with a bunch of drunk rowdy friends over during the real time game.

What I noticed, is that UCF was in the game mid-4th quarter. We looked good and had a chance. The self-inflicting wounds however got us.

The record number of penalties against UCF. The roughing-the-passer Will Howard looked like he did the soccer flop on that one. Should have been a non-call. Another one was the non-call late hit on McClain by the refs. That hit was way late and shook Timmy up.

Also, a missed 53 yard field goal by Boomer (gave them great field position and scored the following drive).

There was also a phantom holding call after we got a crucial needed first down.

Not saying refs were leaning, as they made good and bad calls on both sides. Just the timing of it was a momentum killing shift.

The loss of 20+ yards on the Qb scramble was a killer as well. I could also hear the announcers this time and they pretty much saw everything and reported it correctly. They kept going back to that bad play by Timmy and not throwing it away. they said, "Timmy has a bad habit of running backwards", and "That's gotta be a sharp blade into the UCF fan's eyeball." Yup.

Not using the time outs to prevent delay of game penalties was a major flaw. Should have Called time out and settle everyone down.

UCF was in this game and went toe-to-toe with the defending champs. I was proud watching the replay. I wasn't so much real time though.

K-State was just the better team overall. Qb Will Howard and the weekday coach game play saying he was 'Questionable' was gamemanship. He wasn't hurt. He played the entire game and ran for 2 Td. One was 30+ yards that put them ahead by two scores. Plus, they had a great home crowd on their side. Their offensive line and Rb #31 were great. That's what the best teams do. Lean on their running game towards the end and control the clock and the game.

UCF has a great team. Just clean up the mistakes, both coaching and players and I think we will finish strong the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT