ADVERTISEMENT

2 for 1's

I think we do need to thumb our noses. I want us to be P5. BYU has no prospects for being P5 and I don't want us to link our future with them. Yes, BYU is among the more respected non-P5s, but so are we. We're simply not moving up in weight class by playing them. BYU has been dealt a similar hand to us except with religious bigotry thrown in: no other reason Utah got the invite before/in place of BYU.

I'm going to give us a break in that awful bowl "appearance" ......we had a coach with one foot out the door and a ton of opt outs. In the eyes of the P5, should we win our series with BSU and BYU, we'll simply be viewed like we're THE best athlete at the special olympics.

I get the stadium revenue issue for 7 home games, but if we did one FCS (always at home) and three 2-1s where it's staggered that two are on the road each year and one is at home between that and our conference schedule we'll always have six games at home. Who knows, with a new regime maybe we'll even get a H and H and we'll have 7 home games. We're not getting the invite to P5 without pursuing a schedule that looks P5. It's the cost of admission, and P5 membership is the ultimate goal.
BYUs downfall is refusing to play on Sundays. Hard to schedule non football games when none can be on Sunday.

BYU and Boise State will always be the main non P5 team every AAC team will have to compete against in order to be the best G6 team. They are also almost always ranked which puts them damn near on the P5 level.
Say what you want, but USF probably got the idea for 2 for 1s after seeing you guys go undefeated for dam near 2 years and not even sniff the playoffs. In order to be the best, you have to play the best.....and you need to play the best in order to accomplish those two feats. It baffles me how some of you are againsts 2 for 1s.

USF got the ideas for 2 for 1's because they can't get large crowds at their games without help from other teams. This will help them make money. That is the place they find themselves. They need larger teams to help them make money. UCF isn't in the same situation. We would lose money if we take these 2 for 1 games.

BYU and Boise State will always be the main non P5 team every AAC team will have to compete against in order to be the best G6 team. They are also almost always ranked which puts them damn near on the P5 level.
Say what you want, but USF probably got the idea for 2 for 1s after seeing you guys go undefeated for dam near 2 years and not even sniff the playoffs. In order to be the best, you have to play the best.....and you need to play the best in order to accomplish those two feats. It baffles me how some of you are againsts 2 for 1s.
I doubt our performance affected their decision making - probably more to do with their own attendance / performance.

Simply put, To 2:1 or not to 2:1 just boils down to if you believe a G5 can crack the playoffs or not.

If you think they can, a case exists for some 2:1s. If not, you make the best financial decisions you can, which likely means go for as many home games as you can.

Reactions: knightraveler
They got the idea because one UF game will draw 65k fans mostly gators and their normal home attendance is 20-25k. So an extra 40k fans is worth sacrificing a home game every year. Especially when they rent a stadium and don’t make much from concessions and other peripherals. UCF has been drawing 40k+ for their Florida in state (FIU or FAU, BCC, FAMU) matchups and their capacity is 45k. So it make zero financial sense to sacrifice a home game for one “marquee” game every third year because Boise will sell out anyway. There is no missing crowd that UCF would draw with a “bigger” name like the cows do. That extra 40k in fans is an extra 1.5-2 games of ticket revenue for them. There is no potential to extract more ticket or fan revenue at UCF. At least not while we are winning and season tickets are sold out already.

You are only for 2 :1s because you are getting the 2. Go back to the swamp board.

AAC is the NY6 spot for how many straight years?

I think we do need to thumb our noses. I want us to be P5. BYU has no prospects for being P5 and I don't want us to link our future with them. Yes, BYU is among the more respected non-P5s, but so are we. We're simply not moving up in weight class by playing them. BYU has been dealt a similar hand to us except with religious bigotry thrown in: no other reason Utah got the invite before/in place of BYU.

I'm going to give us a break in that awful bowl "appearance" ......we had a coach with one foot out the door and a ton of opt outs. In the eyes of the P5, should we win our series with BSU and BYU, we'll simply be viewed like we're THE best athlete at the special olympics.

I get the stadium revenue issue for 7 home games, but if we did one FCS (always at home) and three 2-1s where it's staggered that two are on the road each year and one is at home between that and our conference schedule we'll always have six games at home. Who knows, with a new regime maybe we'll even get a H and H and we'll have 7 home games. We're not getting the invite to P5 without pursuing a schedule that looks P5. It's the cost of admission, and P5 membership is the ultimate goal.
Some good points. But I caution you that we’re not where we need to be to win these games right now. Hopefully soon, with Gus at the helm, we will be.

It was really stupid to schedule that baseball series at the home of the #1 team country. Our team will only get slaughtered, and it helps nothing. Our baseball team should have played St Leo at UCF.

It was really stupid to schedule that baseball series at the home of the #1 team country. Our team will only get slaughtered, and it helps nothing. Our baseball team should have played St Leo at UCF.
Baseball has a real tournament. With published rules on how to qualify.

... We're not getting the invite to P5 without pursuing a schedule that looks P5. It's the cost of admission, and P5 membership is the ultimate goal.

There is no cost for admission. It's an inclusive country club that doesn't want to invite any outsiders that they would then have to share their pile of gold with.

Those middle to bottom P5 teams that know every year that they have the slimiest of chances at the CFP spot do not want the competition and opportunity that UCF would bring that would make those P5 chances even more minute.

It's all about "born on date" as most schools in P5 not only had their Univ founded in the 1800s but also their football programs too.

And that requires the baseball team to play tougher teams on the road?
There are different schools of thought. One of them is to play mostly tune up games to get ready. Others like to play tough teams to get ready for Conference. Those wins do help getting at large invites or help in hosting a regional.

Reactions: Knight Strength
There are different schools of thought. One of them is to play mostly tune up games to get ready. Others like to play tough teams to get ready for Conference. Those wins do help getting at large invites or help in hosting a regional.

Is that much different than football? Play tough teams to get ready for conference play. Big wins lead to possibility of something bigger post season.

Is that much different than football? Play tough teams to get ready for conference play. Big wins lead to possibility of something bigger post season.
That’s my thought process. Some people would rather have automatic easy wins at home. Not me. I want interesting games and Gameday actually discussing the game.

I want interesting games and fun matchups. I really like the games against Pitt, GT, Stanford, etc. and trying to win our conference and get into a NY6 game. 2 for 1's give our players/school a disadvantage and I don't think that's best for our team. I would rather see 3-4 mid tier Power 5 teams on the schedule than a Bama/Clemson/Ohio State 2 for 1 any day. If we can win most or all of our games then our team will be able to compete on a even playing field with the top tier teams in a NY6 (like 2013 and 2017). I would not want to see 2020 UCF playing at 2020 Alabama. It would have been a slaughter worse than BYU. Also, I definitely don't want to follow the lead and decision making at USF- they are a mess!

I want interesting games and fun matchups. I really like the games against Pitt, GT, Stanford, etc. and trying to win our conference and get into a NY6 game. 2 for 1's give our players/school a disadvantage and I don't think that's best for our team. I would rather see 3-4 mid tier Power 5 teams on the schedule than a Bama/Clemson/Ohio State 2 for 1 any day. If we can win most or all of our games then our team will be able to compete on a even playing field with the top tier teams in a NY6 (like 2013 and 2017). I would not want to see 2020 UCF playing at 2020 Alabama. It would have been a slaughter worse than BYU. Also, I definitely don't want to follow the lead and decision making at USF- they are a mess!
Fact of the matter is we haven't been able to schedule even a mid-tier P5 one-for-one in over 3 years. If those games are off the table, that's out of our control. If scheduling any P5s as 1-1s is going to be issue, we've gotta go big with 2 for 1s and schedule the best of the best.

Reactions: OvilleNative
Fact of the matter is we haven't been able to schedule even a mid-tier P5 one-for-one in over 3 years. If those games are off the table, that's out of our control. If scheduling any P5s as 1-1s is going to be issue, we've gotta go big with 2 for 1s and schedule the best of the best.
Why not just do a pay game like when we went up to Ohio State or Michigan.

2 for 1 implies no $ coming back to UCF we are supposed to make 2+ games worth of revenue off of the 1 game. (This is true for USF not UCF). UCF plays Bethune cookman and sells 37K seats. If we played UF we could sell 45K that is capacity thats only +8K seats! Now if USF plays UF sells 80K seats and their normal attendance is what ~25k so they are +55K tickets on the 1 game. What a windfall for USF 2+games worth of tickets!

Do you get the math now?
We could probably only make it work for a pay game just play at UF once they pay us 1.5M? Its a win win. Instead of Ga State and 45k attendance they get UCF and 70K attendance? Does it make since? I dont know.

2 for 1 implies no $ coming back to UCF we are supposed to make 2+ games worth of revenue off of the 1 game. (This is true for USF not UCF). UCF plays Bethune cookman and sells 37K seats. If we played UF we could sell 45K that is capacity thats only +8K seats! Now if USF plays UF sells 80K seats and their normal attendance is what ~25k so they are +55K tickets on the 1 game. What a windfall for USF 2+games worth of tickets!

Do you get the math now?
We could probably only make it work for a pay game just play at UF once they pay us 1.5M? Its a win win. Instead of Ga State and 45k attendance they get UCF and 70K attendance? Does it make since? I dont know.
When you rent a stadium, do all ticket sales go to you or split with stadium owner?

There is an article at 247 that has quotes from Terry M which details the mess that schedule is in for future seasons.

"We might have to hit the road he says." So 2-1 against certain P5 teams (I would not know who) is definitely being considered.

Whatever your opinion or mine in the matter is irrelevant. Whatever we were told in the past by the prior administration on the subject no longer applies.

We might be forced to scheduled some 2 (road) and 1 (home) games.

A fact that is never mentioned is that Danny White's scheduling strategy was a failure that left the new AD in a tough spot.

Now that we are a good football program most P5's will refuse to schedule 1/1 with UCF. The risks for them outweight the rewards under that agreement.

This is not because of 2-1, it is because these teams don't want to play UCF anymore. We have been favored in all our P5 games for the last few seasons.

Do you get the math now?
Yeah I don't really get your thought process here. You schedule a one-off game against Ohio State, and then schedule a one for one against San Diego State, you're still only getting one home game out of the deal. Are you saying we should schedule a one off against a big boy at their place and then make up for it with 2 FCS games in a season? Those are the only teams that are going to give us a one-off at our place. I mean, I guess it makes sense, but it's kinda shitting on your fan base. Hard to get excited for those games.

I think we all understand the money UCF loses by accepting a 2 for 1 in Ticket Sales, but I'm just saying maybe you need to look past ticket sales, and realize that a big P5 win on the road, or even competitive loss, is going to increase our brand recognition in the long run and dwarf whatever money we're losing from ticket sales. Not to mention if that brand recognition gets us to a P5 conference, then the money lost from that lost home game looks like pennies.

Last edited:
NC State and Boston College scheduled 1-1 with Cincinnati in 2019.

Mississippi St scheduled a 1-1 with Memphis in 2020. Arkansas scheduled 2-1 in 2019.

Utah scheduled a 1-1 with Houston in 2018.

Vanderbilt scheduled 2-1 with SMU in 2019

Oregon scheduled 2-1 with Boise St. in 2018

North Carolina scheduled 2-1 with Appalachian St in 2017

Any of those cases the P5 team knows they can be going in as an underdog against those G5 teams, yet they scheduled.

Yeah I don't really get your thought process here. You schedule a one-off game against Ohio State, and then schedule a one for one against San Diego State, you're still only getting one home game out of the deal. Are you saying we should schedule a one off against a big boy at their place and then make up for it with 2 FCS games in a season? Those are the only teams that are going to give us a one-off at our place. I mean, I guess it makes sense, but it's kinda shitting on your fan base. Hard to get excited for those games.

I think we all understand the money UCF loses by accepting a 2 for 1 in Ticket Sales, but I'm just saying maybe you need to look past ticket sales, and realize that a big P5 win on the road, or even competitive loss, is going to increase our brand recognition in the long run and dwarf whatever money we're losing from ticket sales. Not to mention if that brand recognition gets us to a P5 conference, then the money lost from that lost home game looks like pennies.

A 1:0 and a check is not shitting on fhe fanbase any more than a 2:1. Both lose the extra home game. 1 brings in more Revenue for the program. So i think if your consodering a 2:1 you shoild also look at the 1 off. The 1 off is way more attractive for the program. Again compared to the 2:1.

A 1:0 and a check is not shitting on fhe fanbase any more than a 2:1. Both lose the extra home game. 1 brings in more Revenue for the program. So i think if your consodering a 2:1 you shoild also look at the 1 off. The 1 off is way more attractive for the program. Again compared to the 2:1.
You got anything to back that up?

Do you get the math now?

How would cow u sell 80,000 tix in a 65,000 seat stadium?

Competitive loss?

No...being the top G5 Team 2 years in a row and earning the NYD6 Bowl slot is what.improves your branding.

AAC has earned that spot every year since 2015 except one (2016).

You need to play and beat the best teams in order to have national credibility. Preferably on the road, because those teams aren’t coming to Spectrum.

If you have 2 home and home games, 1 FCS game and play 6 home games every once in awhile, it allows you to do an occasional 2:1 or 1:0.

If someone pays us 1.2-1.6 million for such a game and we make let’s say 2 million per home game, it’s not going to kill the budget

There was a radio poll and that’s what the fans want. Additionally, the AD wants it.

Expect it to happen whether we like it or not.

Danny White had a good philosophy for making the most revenue, but his approach was flawed and now the new AD needs to fix it.

If we played UConn, an FCS school and 2, 1 and 1 games every year, we could have 8 home games every year like Tennessee. It would make a lot of money, but our SOS and fan excitement would be lower.

The schedule that our new AD proposes is not going to effect our ability to win a Conference championship or being able to get a NY6 invitational. Cincinnati is playing
Indiana and Notre Dame in 2021. If they can do it, then so can we.

We should mimic what they are doing. They have a 1:1 with Indiana and may have got lucky as they were good last year.

They have a 1:0 with Notre and the same applies

When you schedule these games, there is no guarantee that the team will be good when you play them, but if you don’t schedule them, you 100% guarantee that you will not help your SOS

Last edited:
You need to play and beat the best teams in order to have national credibility. Preferably on the road, because those teams aren’t coming to Spectrum.

If you have 2 home and home games, 1 FCS game and play 6 home games every once in awhile, it allows you to do an occasional 2:1 or 1:0.

If someone pays us 1.2-1.6 million for such a game and we make let’s say 2 million per home game, it’s not going to kill the budget

There was a radio poll and that’s what the fans want. Additionally, the AD wants it.

Expect it to happen whether we like it or not.

Danny White had a good philosophy for making the most revenue, but his approach was flawed and now the new AD needs to fix it.

If we played UConn, an FCS school and 2, 1 and 1 games every year, we could have 8 home games every year like Tennessee. It would make a lot of money, but our SOS and fan excitement would be lower.

The schedule that our new AD proposes is not going to effect our ability to win a Conference championship or being able to get a NY6 invitational. Cincinnati is playing
Indiana and Notre Dame in 2021. If they can do it, then so can we.

Excellent points Mike. I fully agree with you.

THIS! The long game is P5, and every scheduling decision needs to consider that.

That’s only if you HAVE to play 7 home games. It’s not going to kill us to play 6 every once in awhile and 1 FCS game. Playing big time programs away does exactly what you’ve mentioned. It’s also a nice selling point to recruits

USF got the ideas for 2 for 1's because they can't get large crowds at their games without help from other teams. This will help them make money. That is the place they find themselves. They need larger teams to help them make money. UCF isn't in the same situation. We would lose money if we take these 2 for 1 games.
Exactly! 100%! usf isn’t anywhere even remotely in discussion of having winning, let alone undefeated, seasons.

That’s only if you HAVE to play 7 home games. It’s not going to kill us to play 6 every once in awhile and 1 FCS game. Playing big time programs away does exactly what you’ve mentioned. It’s also a nice selling point to recruits
Agreed.

Competitive loss?

No...being the top G5 Team 2 years in a row and earning the NYD6 Bowl slot is what.improves your branding.

AAC has earned that spot every year since 2015 except one (2016).
I mean you pretty much improved my argument that we should be taking tougher ooc games. You lose a tough OOC game, but win the AAC, 9 times out of 10 you're still going to make that NY6 game. In fact, in the NY6 era, there has only been one non-AAC team that's gone undefeated in the regular season and that was Western Michigan in 2016, and I can almost guarantee you a 1-loss UCF team where the loss is against a Top 25 P5 team is making it into the NY6 over any undefeated MAC team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT