ADVERTISEMENT

A quick check in on Frost

So what's the deal with this whole "he wiped the recruiting database" thing? If there were kids that wanted to come to UCF because of the school then they wouldnt really be affected by the coaching change. If they were tied to the coaching staff and not the school, what good would the database be to the new coaches? And why would JH even care who the prior staff had been recruiting? He is looking for his guys, not the last coaches guys.

Reactions: DaShuckster
So what's the deal with this whole "he wiped the recruiting database" thing? If there were kids that wanted to come to UCF because of the school then they wouldnt really be affected by the coaching change. If they were tied to the coaching staff and not the school, what good would the database be to the new coaches? And why would JH even care who the prior staff had been recruiting? He is looking for his guys, not the last coaches guys.
Because when you come from a P5 background it’s not easy to know who is interested in going to a G5 school. You want to know what kids are wanting to come here. It’s the difference between cold calling and getting good leads. When there is a coaching change, most kids will not call new staff. They either move on or wait for the call. The call that never comes when Scotty erases database.

Are you serious?

If it’s no big deal, then why erase it?

There’s so much wrong with that and you questioning it, that it’s not even worth a detailed rebuttal

Because when you come from a P5 background it’s not easy to know who is interested in going to a G5 school. You want to know what kids are wanting to come here. It’s the difference between cold calling and getting good leads. When there is a coaching change, most kids will not call new staff. They either move on or wait for the call. The call that never comes when Scotty erases database.

Petty move, no doubt, but he brought us a natty, so whatevs.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
So I can introduce you to your lovely wife and then bang her a couple years ago behind your back?

More like I lost my virginity to the hottest girl in high school and then we broke up and I found out you hit it first. It’s sucks, but I still get to say I hit that.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Are you serious?

There’s so much wrong with that and you questioning it, that it’s not even worth a detailed rebuttal
Why would he erase it? Is there some kind of advantage that he had to gain by doing so? Was UCF going after the same players as Nebraska? Was there any indication at all that he didn't want UCF to succeed in the future so he was doing this out of vindictiveness?
The whole concept falls in upon itself if you really think about it.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Why would he erase it? Is there some kind of advantage that he had to gain by doing so? Was UCF going after the same players as Nebraska? Was there any indication at all that he didn't want UCF to succeed in the future so he was doing this out of vindictiveness?
The whole concept falls in upon itself if you really think about it.
Why did he erase it?? Why? Why? Why?

Because the minute he took the job like any other coach he was 100% Nebraska and 0%
UCF

Any competitive advantage to revive a dying program. He took a TE that sucked
Other implications? We don’t know. Never will. However, CJH was left with absolutely Nothing.

We won’t forget the time around December 22, 2017.

Because the minute he took the job like any other coach he was 100% Nebraska and 0%
UCF
If that were true, you wouldn't have a Peach Bowl Championship. He was 100% for UCF's players. But this is a competitive business and IF the staff erased their database, it's their work they were erasing, not Heupel's.

Why try to create a silly controversy that isn't there? The results last year certainly indicate that Frost left Heupel in pretty darn good shape, don't you think?

If that were true, you wouldn't have a Peach Bowl Championship. He was 100% for UCF's players.
There is a bit more to it than that

Notoriety, advertising for Nebraska and recruiting, not being labeled as a total scumbag and then there is the money

Reactions: Wings0fred
Why try to create a silly controversy that isn't there? The results last year certainly indicate that Frost left Heupel in pretty darn good shape, don't you think?
I didn’t create it. Merely stated facts. Everyone has their own take on it

In reality, from a resource standpoint they left nothing. Took every coach and even took some clerical staff. They even “took the bar!”

More like I lost my virginity to the hottest girl in high school and then we broke up and I found out you hit it first. It’s sucks, but I still get to say I hit that.
Eskimo Brothers!

Are you serious?

Idk, I think I’m more aligned with shuckster on this. I would think that’s standard operating procedure for a coaching change, right?

A twitter search over the past year would have turned up names of who they were interested in and kids / coaches would know there was a change and reach out of their kids’ recruiting trails randomly went dead, id think.

My autocorrect changed what I was saying. I meant she was cheating on you with me. Not that I hit it first. Yes you can say you hit it. But she was going behind your back. If you accept that , you are admitting you are a loser who doesn’t deserve respect. UCF deserves respect from outgoing coaches. O’Leary showed way more respect and he was forced to step down from 2 positions.

UCF

Any competitive advantage to revive a dying program. He took a TE that sucked
Other implications? We don’t know. Never will. However, CJH was left with absolutely Nothing.

We won’t forget the time around December 22, 2017.
CJH was left with nothing but a track suit. #neverforget

Let’s put it this way, if the entire R&D department at Boeing got offered positions at Airbus, took the offer, then proceeded to erase all R&D databases. Would this be acceptable because it was their work? Probably not, and they might face criminal charges for tampering with company property. Same concept. Once you get paid to do something by a company you no longer have ownership of such work unless there are agreements in place, which there weren’t. Douche bag move by Frost and Co. in my opinion.

My autocorrect changed what I was saying. I meant she was cheating on you with me. Not that I hit it first. Yes you can say you hit it. But she was going behind your back. If you accept that , you are admitting you are a loser who doesn’t deserve respect. UCF deserves respect from outgoing coaches. O’Leary showed way more respect and he was forced to step down from 2 positions.

I know what it said. I changed it to more of how I feel about the situation. Point is made and I don’t blame anyone for not liking him. I’m just indifferent.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I would think that’s standard operating procedure for a coaching change, right?
Of course it is. One of the big reasons why a coach or two is retained by a new HC from the previous staff is to avoid recreating the wheel when it comes to having a heads up on the current players and recruits.
Anyone who believes otherwise hasn’t been following CFB very long.

If there is anything remotely unique about the Frost to Heupel transition, it was that so many people, including support staff and quality control guys, followed Scott. You are free to view that as “Geez, what an a-hole to take everybody!” or alternatively, you can look at it and say “Wow, that Frost sure inspires a lot of loyalty that they’d leave Orlando and move halfway across the country to stick with him!”

Reactions: Crazyhole
whoa, that Frost sure inspires a lot of loyalty that they’d leave Orlando and move halfway across the country to stick with him!”
Ha! Don’t be naive. Don’t underestimate that Blueblood P5 money

Money often > loyalty

Ha! Don’t be naive. Don’t underestimate that Blueblood P5 money. Money often > loyalty
If it’s all about money, why was the Scott Frost to Nebraska transition so markedly different from the Tom Herman to Texas one? Everybody knows Texas is the Big Dawg when it comes to the big bucks, right?

If it’s all about money, why was the Scott Frost to Nebraska transition so markedly different from the Tom Herman to Texas one? Everybody knows Texas is the Big Dawg when it comes to the big bucks, right?
It’s not markedly different. He took the money AND went home to his Alma Mater

Herman took the money, P5 over G5, and the UT past history

Reactions: Richard N. Toze
It’s not markedly different. He took the money AND went home to his Alma Mater
I was referring to the mini-migration of coaches and support staff who followed Scott to Lincoln. Herman used Texas Big Bucks to go out and get different coaches than the ones who helped him succeed at Houston. If Frost had taken the Herman route, you wouldn’t be grousing about ‘erased databases.’ But Scott said that if his coaches were good enough to take an 0-12 team to 12-0 in two years, they were good enough to coach anywhere.

I’m no coach but I know a thing or two about leadership transitions. I would argue that by taking so many people with him, Scott actually did Josh a favor. There’s something to be said about starting with a clean slate and your own people. Most leadership transitions are initially slowed by mixed loyalties among the staff. Heupel’s first season would indicate he had a decent transition.

Reactions: Richard N. Toze
I was referring to the mini-migration of coaches and support staff who followed Scott to Lincoln. Herman used Texas Big Bucks to go out and get different coaches than the ones who helped him succeed at Houston. If Frost had taken the Herman route, you wouldn’t be grousing about ‘erased databases.’ But Scott said that if his coaches were good enough to take an 0-12 team to 12-0 in two years, they were good enough to coach anywhere.

I’m no coach but I know a thing or two about leadership transitions. I would argue that by taking so many people with him, Scott actually did Josh a favor. There’s something to be said about starting with a clean slate and your own people. Most leadership transitions are initially slowed by mixed loyalties among the staff. Heupel’s first season would indicate he had a decent transition.
Got it. I don’t know all the details of Herman’s departure, contract, coaches and their contracts and his support staff at both places

Lots of variables there.

As far as the “erased database,” on the surface it’s just not a good look

Once again, we both have limited details

If that were true, you wouldn't have a Peach Bowl Championship. He was 100% for UCF's players. But this is a competitive business and IF the staff erased their database, it's their work they were erasing, not Heupel's.

No backup? It's not like they got to take all the electronic equipment with them. If this did happen, then you would hope that can no longer be done because any and all pertinent football info, pertaining to UCF football, would be backed up. I mean this is a legit business, right? (Sarcasm)

Last edited:
Of course it is. One of the big reasons why a coach or two is retained by a new HC from the previous staff is to avoid recreating the wheel when it comes to having a heads up on the current players and recruits.
Anyone who believes otherwise hasn’t been following CFB very long.

If there is anything remotely unique about the Frost to Heupel transition, it was that so many people, including support staff and quality control guys, followed Scott. You are free to view that as “Geez, what an a-hole to take everybody!” or alternatively, you can look at it and say “Wow, that Frost sure inspires a lot of loyalty that they’d leave Orlando and move halfway across the country to stick with him!”
All things relatively equal....i.e. it's a coaching job...they got paid more money....that's the reason. Can't really blame coaches for wanting to get paid more to coach. Frosty has a very long leash as well. You got in their you're probably pretty safe for 5 years. That's a lot of bills paid and money saved.

Let’s put it this way, if the entire R&D department at Boeing got offered positions at Airbus, took the offer, then proceeded to erase all R&D databases. Would this be acceptable because it was their work? Probably not, and they might face criminal charges for tampering with company property. Same concept. Once you get paid to do something by a company you no longer have ownership of such work unless there are agreements in place, which there weren’t. Douche bag move by Frost and Co. in my opinion.
I know what you’re saying and, in your example, I agree.

But recruiting is more about networking and building personal relationships than developing technology and those relationships don’t vanish you go coach elsewhere so I’m not sure how you could address that.

Regardless, if it’s in his contract to not do what he (supposedly) did, different story. Can’t remember - are HC contracts public record for ucf?

noticed that like half of his roster keeps getting caught smoking the grass

the Maurice Washington situation is not a good look. All the media types are picking Nebraska to win the Big 10 West
What do you do when you're snowed in for over half of the year?

I read one writer is not picking them because of the RB situation and the back 7 on defense

Not looking good for Maurice Washington

A court date is set in California for 9/3

What do you do when you're snowed in for over half of the year?
Ha ha. Yeah, Nebraska's slobberknocker win over Sparty was during a snow storm. But the truth is that most of the East gets twice as much snow during the winter as Lincoln, NE does.

No backup? It's not like they got to take all the electronic equipment with them.
That's why I call this rumor Bullsh*t. You believe a major university -- including it's athletic department -- doesn't have ALL of its data backed up on a regular basis???!??!! This is a case where somebody decided to start the rumor that departing coaches cleaning up their electronic files was an act of...gasp!...treason against UCF!!! :rolleyes:

In an age where 90% of the head coaching fraternity would have bolted once the announcement was made and left their former program in the rear view mirror, Frost and his staff did double-duty to stick with their players until the end. THAT's commitment to UCF above and beyond what any Knight fan had any reason to expect.

It gave you the perfect 'David vs Goliath' ending to one of the most memorable seasons a program has had in the history of college football. Appreciate what he did for you, don't piss on it.

Time to move on. Go Knights!

Last edited:
I would argue that by taking so many people with him, Scott actually did Josh a favor. There’s something to be said about starting with a clean slate and your own people. Most leadership transitions are initially slowed by mixed loyalties among the staff. Heupel’s first season would indicate he had a decent transition.
In CFB all assistants are employed at the will of the HC. Heup would not have rehired anyone left over.

In CFB all assistants are employed at the will of the HC. Heup would not have rehired anyone left over.
He probably would have kept 1 or 2 for continuity sake. Fortunately it didn't matter because the players really were the epitome of a "team" and collectively bought in to the new staff.

I read one writer is not picking them because of the RB situation and the back 7 on defense

Not looking good for Maurice Washington

A court date is set in California for 9/3

I don't buy the "back 7" part of that. The linebackers are thin but the secondary will be one of the better groups in the B1G.

I'm going to add one last comment about Frost's departure. When it was announced that Frost was returning to Nebraska to coach his alma mater, one of UCF's leading contenders for the head coaching job was Troy Walters (UCF's former OC and now OC at Nebraska).

Given the timing, there had to be tremendous pressure on AD Danny White to pick him to insure a smooth transition and have a coaching staff for the Peach Bowl game. But, right or wrong, White showed some real guts by going the unconventional route. He passed on Walters and hired another 'rising star' in the profession, Josh Heupel.

Now, given THIS, and given how close Frost and his staff are with each other, the natural gut reaction of the outgoing coaching staff would be tell White, "Screw you. If some of the key coaches who brought UCF to this point aren't good enough for you to carry on what we started here, LET HEUPEL COACH THE DAMN BOWL GAME!!!"

But instead, everyone involved, Frost, White, and especially Walters, sucked it up and worked together through the transition with a high level of class. This is no small deal when you consider the Type A personalities involved!

But they did it in order to ensure that the Knight players who had just concluded a Cinderella season had a fully committed coaching staff for the biggest game in the program's history.

That's one hell of a story if you ask me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT