ADVERTISEMENT

Another school shooting

Exactly. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Having a thick skin is a requirement if you're going to post in a forum like this one. Right or wrong, getting blasted for your takes is the way this game is played

Once upon a time, a needy kid could get financial aid in the form of grants and gift aid order to go to college. Then, colleges and universities began putting together 'affordable' aid packages replacing grants and gift aid with student loans. Today's young adults (ages 25 to 34) carry over $500 billion in loan debt, breaking down to between $10,000 to $40,000 per person. As Joe says, it's very easy to sit back and say, 'these kids are too lazy to buy home.' The fact is, the majority of them have been carrying a 'home mortgage worth' of debt since they graduated -- or left -- college.
Are you guys for cancelling debts? ...What about the kids that paid them off, should they be reimbursed?

Going back and earlier in the process, what caused kids to attend such expensive schools? ...where were the parents/guardians in this process? Aren't they required to sign as well? ...I don't blame kids, as much as the adults that should be influencing their development as decision makers. They should be held liable.

Thoughts?

Are you guys for cancelling debts? ...What about the kids that paid them off, should they be reimbursed?

Going back and earlier in the process, what caused kids to attend such expensive schools? ...where were the parents/guardians in this process? Aren't they required to sign as well? ...I don't blame kids, as much as the adults that should be influencing their development as decision makers. They should be held liable.

Thoughts?
We are getting quite off topic here, lol. This was "another school shooting" thread. But since you asked nicely...

I am not sure how you can cancel student loans for one and then not turn around and totally reimburse or partially credit someone who never missed a payment and has now paid in full.

Reactions: UCFloridaTech

Thoughts?

Biden needs to cancel all debts. Student loans, credit cards, mortgages, etc. Imagine how good we would do with no debts. Let the rich pay for it all.

• Haha
Biden needs to cancel all debts. Student loans, credit cards, mortgages, etc. Imagine how good we would do with no debts. Let the rich pay for it all.
Haha... Universal health care, education, transportation, groceries, baby sitting, yard service, ...Why not? ...we're the richest country in the world for a reason.

We are getting quite off topic here, lol. This was "another school shooting" thread. But since you asked nicely...

I am not sure how you can cancel student loans for one and then not turn around and totally reimburse or partially credit someone who never missed a payment and has now paid in full.
Agree...and how far back do you go?

I vomit in my mouth at the thought of "rewarding" those over their heads, and not those that figured it out.

The rich boomers who benefitted from relatively low tuition costs and an job environment that didn’t necessitate a degree? I mean since 1980 tuition costs have outpaced CPI by 1000% but it’s out of line to suggest recent graduates have had an unequal financial burden to prior generations.

The rich boomers who benefitted from relatively low tuition costs and an job environment that didn’t necessitate a degree? I mean since 1980 tuition costs have outpaced CPI by 1000% but it’s out of line to suggest recent graduates have had an unequal financial burden to prior generations.

The way to stop it is making the rich pay for it. 95% upper income tax. Create free Healthcare, college, and universal basic income. Those making over 100k should pay about 50% tax. Those at 50k or under get federal credits until they net at least 50k.

Offer free housing to those that can't afford it too.

The way to stop it is making the rich pay for it. 95% upper income tax. Create free Healthcare, college, and universal basic income. Those making over 100k should pay about 50% tax. Those at 50k or under get federal credits until they net at least 50k.

If you are trolling, 10/10. Good job, good effort.

If you aren’t, piss off.

• Haha
#1) Have you considered what is causing said tuition cost increase? ...It certainly isn't the "quality" of education.

#2) You make it seem that a financial "burden" is being levied on poor innocent children... Show me the law, order, requirement to attend an overpriced institution.

Bonus Consideration Content: For the Tax Happy population on this board, you want a source of wealth to tax, google some University/College Endowments... Start with schools on both coasts and work your way inward.... Should be plenty to cover the loan cancellation.

Thoughts?

You’d be getting dangerously close to Nordic countries with that approach. Maybe let’s just start with lifting some of the financial burden on education for the generations who will be advancing our society going forward.

since 1980 tuition costs have outpaced CPI by 1000% but it’s out of line to suggest recent graduates have had an unequal financial burden to prior generations.
THIS! ^^^^

This whole OT discussion got started with whining about how this generation of young adults are lazy and have it so easy. It should be pointed out that the "today's kids have it so easy" line has been trotted out again and again by old "back in MY day...blah, blah, blah" blowhards for countless generations.

THIS! ^^^^

This whole OT discussion got started with whining about how this generation of young adults are lazy and have it so easy. It should be pointed out that the "today's kids have it so easy" line has been trotted out again and again by old "back in MY day...blah, blah, blah" blowhards for countless generations.

Time for the boomer generation to pay a wealth tax on their assets like their 401k, home, etc. Increase Medicare costs for them if they have assets. Additional luxury taxes on cars valued over 50k. The new college generation is coming for their assets and we vote.

Time for the boomer generation to pay a wealth tax on their assets like their 401k, home, etc. Increase Medicare costs for them if they have assets. Additional luxury taxes on cars valued over 50k. The new college generation is coming for their assets and we vote.
100% tax on all salaries above $150,000. Fukc dem richers.

100% tax on all salaries above $150,000. Fukc dem richers.

100% tax rate would be no incentive to make money. Getting the upper group to 90% tax rate would make them work harder to keep their lifestyle and pay for education, homeless, green energy, high speed trains, and Healthcare. Nobody should be required to pay for Healthcare or education debts.

100% tax rate would be no incentive to make money. Getting the upper group to 90% tax rate would make them work harder to keep their lifestyle and pay for education, homeless, green energy, high speed trains, and Healthcare. Nobody should be required to pay for Healthcare or education debts.
You don’t need a 90% tax rate to have free (paid for by taxes) higher education and health care. Look at pretty much all other developed nation.

Nope. 100% tax on all them richers. If they don't like it, they can make less.

• Haha
You don’t need a 90% tax rate to have free (paid for by taxes) higher education and health care. Look at pretty much all other developed nation.
Honestly curious... I've not googled in detail myself.

What are the normalized tax rates of other countries, including deductions/credits, government subsidies, etc.

What % of population of our country and other countries are contributing to the tax roll, vs consuming services?

There's got to be a logical thread... Either on Income, Costs (or combination of both). Do other countries have more contributors that pay into the tax base?...less people that are consuming without paying? Are other countries' costs much lower? ...keep in mind the "Cost, Speed/Time, Quality" triangle, with any good or service, you can only pick 2

Educated/Researched Thoughts?
(Save the Fox, CNN, MSNBC talking points, I know those already)

Honestly curious... I've not googled in detail myself.

What are the normalized tax rates of other countries, including deductions/credits, government subsidies, etc.

What % of population of our country and other countries are contributing to the tax roll, vs consuming services?

There's got to be a logical thread... Either on Income, Costs (or combination of both). Do other countries have more contributors that pay into the tax base?...less people that are consuming without paying? Are other countries' costs much lower? ...keep in mind the "Cost, Speed/Time, Quality" triangle, with any good or service, you can only pick 2

Educated/Researched Thoughts?
(Save the Fox, CNN, MSNBC talking points, I know those already)
Other developed nations on average have a higher average tax rate and a higher top marginal rate. In terms of tax income in relation to GDP, the US sits around 25% while much of Europe is closer to 35%.

This does a decent breakdown.

Part of the problem with US taxes is that people feel they don’t get the “bang for the buck” and this is very true as a large proportion of tax revenue is used on things like debt interest and defense spending which doesn’t manifest in any tangible positive day to day benefit for the majority of the population.

Other developed nations on average have a higher average tax rate and a higher top marginal rate. In terms of tax income in relation to GDP, the US sits around 25% while much of Europe is closer to 35%.

This does a decent breakdown.

Part of the problem with US taxes is that people feel they don’t get the “bang for the buck” and this is very true as a large proportion of tax revenue is used on things like debt interest and defense spending which doesn’t manifest in any tangible positive day to day benefit for the majority of the population.

Debt interest due to lack on controlled spending on non-productive line items... Entitlements takes the lion share of that category.

I do want to point out that this is the the type of broad, uninformed statement that distorts reality, which too many spew in public settings...and unfortunately many otherd grasp onto as truth:

"defense spending which doesn’t manifest in any tangible positive day to day benefit for the majority of the population"

Do you like your GPS, digital camera tech, internet? ...I'd say the majority of population benefits...spawned from military investment.

Talk about "misinformation"... Take 5 mins to research before you make such a bold statement:

I'm not military, but I support the hell out of them for their courage and ingenuity. Never mind the security we enjoy and hopefully don't take for granted.

Debt interest due to lack on controlled spending on non-productive line items... Entitlements takes the lion share of that category.

I do want to point out that this is the the type of broad, uninformed statement that distorts reality, which too many spew in public settings...and unfortunately many otherd grasp onto as truth:

"defense spending which doesn’t manifest in any tangible positive day to day benefit for the majority of the population"

Do you like your GPS, digital camera tech, internet? ...I'd say the majority of population benefits...spawned from military investment.

Talk about "misinformation"... Take 5 mins to research before you make such a bold statement:

I'm not military, but I support the hell out of them for their courage and ingenuity. Never mind the security we enjoy and hopefully don't take for granted.
Calm down. Not sure what you are mad about. Did you want information? US has a low tax rate compared to other countries, but it is relatively high in a vacuum because we don’t see as many tangible benefits of our tax money as other countries do. That’s why people who want lower taxes are right. But so are people who want higher taxes. Higher taxes would be more palatable if they came with things like health care and education.

Calm down. Not sure what you are mad about. Did you want information? US has a low tax rate compared to other countries, but it is relatively high in a vacuum because we don’t see as many tangible benefits of our tax money as other countries do. That’s why people who want lower taxes are right. But so are people who want higher taxes. Higher taxes would be more palatable if they came with things like health care and education.

Who's mad? ...be careful to not regurgitate the Cable News talking points. Too many blind sheep can't research or think for themselves.

This is in reference to your comment:

Do you recognize the inaccuracy of this statement?

Who's mad? ...be careful to not regurgitate the Cable News talking points. Too many blind sheep can't research or think for themselves.

This is in reference to your comment:

Do you recognize the inaccuracy of this statement?
I don’t watch cable news. Sorry you cant engage in a normal discussion. Yes inventions from the 60s don’t mean that Americans feel their tax money is well spent in 2022. It’s cool you have a list of inventions that includes silly putty and shirts in the top 15 and has nothing since the 70s. I guess it’s not worth having a discussion.

I don’t watch cable news. Sorry you cant engage in a normal discussion. Yes inventions from the 60s don’t mean that Americans feel their tax money is well spent in 2022. It’s cool you have a list of inventions that includes silly putty and shirts in the top 15. I guess it’s not worth having a discussion.

facepalm.gif

Raise the age to be able to buy an AR platform weapon to 25 and ban 1st person shooter video games. Nobody shoots up a school with a mini-14 even though it's identical in ballistics and performance as the AR-15. That tells me that there is a psychological aspect to that gun, which i have witnessed first hand. No, it isn't a weapon of war but for an 18 year old it feels like it. On top of that, being conditioned to use it by Call of Duty makes it a recipe for disaster

Raise the age to be able to buy an AR platform weapon to 25 and ban 1st person shooter video games. Nobody shoots up a school with a mini-14 even though it's identical in ballistics and performance as the AR-15. That tells me that there is a psychological aspect to that gun, which i have witnessed first hand. No, it isn't a weapon of war but for an 18 year old it feels like it. On top of that, being conditioned to use it by Call of Duty makes it a recipe for disaster
Raise the age for suicidal thoughts to 45😂😂😂

I wish we could ban women who hook up with 18-year olds and 78-year olds--all to get out of a shitty marriage.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKnight
I guess you are done then. Maybe move back to the “parking lot”. Or go back to discussions with your friends and family where you can win an argument by telling them they are libtards brainwashed by the media. It doesn’t fly here though. Bye.
My man, if you can't walk back an inaccurate statement, how can anything you say be considered truth or have merit. You also made a lot of statements on my behalf... I'm just chilling here on a string of work calls thinking, 'this dude made an egregious statement about military investment and return benefit to the majority of the population' and you can't simply say "my bad, never knew that".

People dig heels in way too much, too sensitive maybe? ... Just saying. We should all be looking to inform and correct each other to improve our collective knowledge base. No animosity.

👍

Seems reasonable... I never personally got into 1st person shooter games, but it seems like that 'could' contribute to desensitizing (made up word?) the act of shooting/killing... At least for some.

Good point about the perception of war-like munitions, vs others... Does a mini-14 have similar clip capacity?

I'm sure there are opposing views on both your comments.

Also, I've only noticed shooters are males? ...is that a primal warrior function in our DNA that has gone awry? Hunter vs Gatherer type difference...

Seems reasonable... I never personally got into 1st person shooter games, but it seems like that 'could' contribute to desensitizing (made up word?) the act of shooting/killing... At least for some.

Good point about the perception of war-like munitions, vs others... Does a mini-14 have similar clip capacity?

I'm sure there are opposing views on both your comments.

Also, I've only noticed shooters are males? ...is that a primal warrior function in our DNA that has gone awry? Hunter vs Gatherer type difference...
A mini-14 is basically just a wood stock .223. The only difference between it and an AR basically is a pistol grip and ease of adding accessories. You can get cartridges that are identical to the AR. Both are just range guns, but holding an AR feels different, like you are a soldier. There is definitely a psychological effect that comes with carrying one.

This is why the left is so ineffective when it comes to discussing guns and gun control. They've never experienced what it's like to shoot a variety of weapons, so they speak from a position of ignorance. As a right leaning 2nd amendment advocate, I can tell you that shooting a .338 Lapua (sniper rifle) affects you differently than shooting an M1, and both are different than shooting an AR15 or AR10. For kids, I would imagine that the difference is magnified.

• Love
Reactions: UCFBS
A mini-14 is basically just a wood stock .223. The only difference between it and an AR basically is a pistol grip and ease of adding accessories. You can get cartridges that are identical to the AR. Both are just range guns, but holding an AR feels different, like you are a soldier. There is definitely a psychological effect that comes with carrying one.

This is why the left is so ineffective when it comes to discussing guns and gun control. They've never experienced what it's like to shoot a variety of weapons, so they speak from a position of ignorance. As a right leaning 2nd amendment advocate, I can tell you that shooting a .338 Lapua (sniper rifle) affects you differently than shooting an M1, and both are different than shooting an AR15 or AR10. For kids, I would imagine that the difference is magnified.
@Crazyhole

I have a lot of anxiety about this christmas. After 2 suicidal episodes this year I am really uncomfortable with the idea of being around the in-laws. This year has also brought about changes with my girls. I got divorced 8 years ago and had full custody of my kids until this year. They moved in with their mom in january and things have been pretty difficult between us since then. Nobody, including my wife, has been terribly supportive of what I've been dealing with this year and I've been putting on a happy face whenever I'm asked how things are going because when I'm honest it makes things worse. I'm just tired of it and now its going to be in my face for the next few days. Nobody understands but everybody has a solution.

Sorry to vent. Merry christmas to everyone"

Is 1978 the birth year or celibacy year?
Yep. The guy is so unoriginal and dumb. Like we couldn’t figure it out

What is his first post? Referencing how he should shoot up everyone posting in this thread

Quality individual right there. He wouldn’t dare try this on the Huskerboard. He would be attacked by 1,000 Cornholios

It's amazing that after this long, you guys still obsess about me. Whatever, but I didn't realize that grown men would circle jerk about a guy from Nebraska that they've never met.

It's amazing that after this long, you guys still obsess about me. Whatever, but I didn't realize that grown men would circle jerk about a guy from Nebraska that they've never met.
I have a lot of anxiety about this christmas. After 2 suicidal episodes this year I am really uncomfortable with the idea of being around the in-laws. This year has also brought about changes with my girls. I got divorced 8 years ago and had full custody of my kids until this year. They moved in with their mom in january and things have been pretty difficult between us since then. Nobody, including my wife, has been terribly supportive of what I've been dealing with this year and I've been putting on a happy face whenever I'm asked how things are going because when I'm honest it makes things worse. I'm just tired of it and now its going to be in my face for the next few days. Nobody understands but everybody has a solution.

Meh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT