ADVERTISEMENT

China Trade War

I don't like it, but looking at it from a monetary pov I can see how this can work in our favor.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I don't like it, but looking at it from a monetary pov I can see how this can work in our favor.

How is having literally everyone in the US paying more for nearly everything we buy "working in our favor". Other than possibly bringing back some low skill/low pay manufacturing jobs that aren't even needed here?

This isn't the 50's, and its really stupid trying to run the country like it is.

I work for a medical supply company and had dinner with the owner of one of our suppliers from India earlier this week. And most of our global suppliers are in China. I was curious to hear what his thoughts were on the impending tariffs since he’s not an American and he’s a world traveler. He readily admits that this will help his country because more of the US business will come their way but he said, putting that aside, he thinks Trump is doing the right thing for security purposes alone. We have allowed China to become wealthy with our lousy trade policy and they are using that wealth to strengthen their military. Trump is doing what’s best, not only for us, but for the international community as well. This man has many companies and is obviously very bright. It was interesting to get his opinion.

Last edited:
At this time in history it's exactly the right call and right thing to do. The decades' long policy of pathetic appeasement of China stealing from this country needed to be brought to an end and if temporary tariffs do that, then it's necessary and will yield a much better future for all Americans.

The Chinese economy is already hurting and tariffs have and will impose a bigger and bigger problem to their economy. They know it, too.

The Chinese generational theft from this nation had to stop and immediately. I am glad we have Trump making this a priority and not settling for status quo that has failed this country for decades.

Jesus.

You guys realize it is not a win for the United States if we get damaged but you justify it by China getting damaged more. I sometimes wonder about the quality of my degree when I see so many people struggling with basic economics. China will try to wait Trump out and in the mean time farmers are going to get obliterated. China has no reason to make a deal before next year's elections.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I work for a medical supply company and had dinner with the owner of one of our suppliers from India earlier this week. And most of our global suppliers are in China. I was curious to hear what his thoughts were on the impending tariffs since he’s not an American and he’s a world traveler. He readily admits that this will help his country because more of the US business will come their way but he said, putting that aside, he thinks Trump is doing the right thing for security purposes alone. We have allowed China to become wealthy with our lousy trade policy and they are using that wealth to strengthen their military. Trump is doing what’s best, not only for us, but for the international community as well. This man has many companies and is obviously very bright. It was interesting to get his opinion.

This is called blind fanaticism. It is not a good thing.

You literally admit everything looks like it will be bad for us, but you hope Trump is doing what's best. Insane.

This is called blind fanaticism. It is not a good thing.

You literally admit everything looks like it will be bad for us, but you hope Trump is doing what's best. Insane.
When did I say that everything will be bad for us? I just thought that it was interesting to hear this very wealthy, successful businessman from India’s point of view about what Trump is doing with China. I admittedly don’t understand enough of what’s going on to say if it’s a good or bad thing for the US. But, I do know that what we’ve been doing hasn’t worked. And Trump has the economy roaring and manufacturing jobs (which Obama had said would never come back) are coming back. China has been ripping us off and Trump is fixing it, or at least trying to. I’ve followed politics for a long time and Trump has definitely opened my eyes to the fact that it’s not so much a Dem vs GOP thing but a globalist vs what’s best for America thing. And that doesn’t mean that we don’t care about the rest of the world either. When America is strong, the rest of the world benefits. But, to get back to what I first said, I found it interesting that this man from India was totally on board with the hard ball that Trump is playing with China, primarily for SECURITY reasons. And this guy knows a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.

When did I say that everything will be bad for us? I just thought that it was interesting to hear this very wealthy, successful businessman from India’s point of view about what Trump is doing with China. I admittedly don’t understand enough of what’s going on to say if it’s a good or bad thing for the US. But, I do know that what we’ve been doing hasn’t worked. And Trump has the economy roaring and manufacturing jobs (which Obama had said would never come back) are coming back. China has been ripping us off and Trump is fixing it, or at least trying to. I’ve followed politics for a long time and Trump has definitely opened my eyes to the fact that it’s not so much a Dem vs GOP thing but a globalist vs what’s best for America thing. And that doesn’t mean that we don’t care about the rest of the world either. When America is strong, the rest of the world benefits. But, to get back to what I first said, I found it interesting that this man from India was totally on board with the hard ball that Trump is playing with China, primarily for SECURITY reasons. And this guy knows a whole lot more about this stuff than I do.

Yeah, he knows a lot more obviously. Maybe take his advice on the foreign policy, because you kinda sound like a conspiracy theory nut job when you start talking about globalist vs Americans.

Yeah, he knows a lot more obviously. Maybe take his advice on the foreign policy, because you kinda sound like a conspiracy theory nut job when you start talking about globalist vs Americans.
Thought about calling you a few names but I think I’ll stay above that. Hope you can get off your high horse some day and admit that you don’t know everything.

Jesus.

You guys realize it is not a win for the United States if we get damaged but you justify it by China getting damaged more. I sometimes wonder about the quality of my degree when I see so many people struggling with basic economics. China will try to wait Trump out and in the mean time farmers are going to get obliterated. China has no reason to make a deal before next year's elections.

I even question if you actually went to UCF or not and I am almost certain your degree isn't in business or economics since you know oh-so-little on either.

Here's the deal: China is a communist shitlord (thanks) regime that made it a national policy 30 years ago to systematically steal from this country, displace our jobs, and assure that our future generations can't use the technology that WE developed to fuel the Nextgen jobs. Since they'd all exist in China with IP that they stole.

Whatever short term pain (and yes, there is some pain) that is taking place PALES in comparison to doing nothing. To taking the approach of every spineless, pusswad President before Trump that refused to do anything about the China problem. TPP? LOL. China audibly laughed at TPP being a check on them.

The impact of tariffs is hurting China substantially and severely more than the US. A quick 2 second Google search will find economists agreeing with that. And oh there's the fact that we have record unemployment and 3.2% GDP growth.

Fact: we are closer to a meaningful trade deal with China with curbs or eliminates their shameful thievery and dishonorable way of doing business than we've ever been. And it's necessary for every single American company. You can either choose to mindlessly continue obsessing and hating the President and thus refusing to admit any of this, or you could be sane and rationale for one second and admit that our stance on China is exactly what it should be.

And oh by the way, they have 1M religious minorities in internment camps so fuk them and their fuking Communist regime to begin with.

Reactions: cjordan0802
Thought about calling you a few names but I think I’ll stay above that. Hope you can get off your high horse some day and admit that you don’t know everything.

Nah, unlike most red hats I don't constantly lie, so I'll pass. Good luck on getting a little more educated, as a fellow voter we are all counting on you!

I don’t know much about economics, but how can the bad trade deals that have been going on for so long ever be a good thing for the United Statea?

China is ripping us off and stealing our technology. They don’t need us nearly as much as they used to, so we might as well use this to our advantage sooner than later and help our own situation in the meantime. We still have some leverage

Additionally, I’m sure this isn’t helping the NK crisis by pissing them off, but how much have they really done anyway. Maybe we are using these tariffs and threats as a negotiating deal behind the scenes.

I do find it comedy gold Trump can literally send stocks up & down 140 characters at a time. Maybe get back to fundamentals.

Nah, unlike most red hats I don't constantly lie, so I'll pass. Good luck on getting a little more educated, as a fellow voter we are all counting on you!
The only red hat that I might wear is a Cincinnati Red’s hat! But Trump won Ohio by about 10 points so I’m sure you think that all Red’s fans are NUTS too!

So you right-wing free trade gurus are in favor of tarrifs now?

I remember you dipsticks laughing at me for even suggesting such a thing a few years ago.

Well, one dipstick in particular.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
So you right-wing free trade gurus are in favor of tarrifs now? I remember you dipsticks laughing at me for even suggesting such a thing a few years ago.

Hell, free trade has always been a cornerstone of the Republican Party for as long as I’ve been alive. But evidently President Blowhard’s genius business acumen has been a real attitude changer.

Hell, free trade has always been a cornerstone of the Republican Party for as long as I’ve been alive. But evidently President Blowhard’s genius business acumen has been a real attitude changer.

It’s almost as if we’re dealing with a country run by communists who have stolen for us for 30 years and have 1M religious minorities in prisons. Shocking that a different approach may be required! Especially after our past Presidents failed to do jack shit about anything.

What’s really sad here is you delusional lefties who think our trade with China was EVER “free”. You know so little yet again try to comment. Sad!

So you right-wing free trade gurus are in favor of tarrifs now?

I remember you dipsticks laughing at me for even suggesting such a thing a few years ago.

Well, one dipstick in particular.

I'm not in favor of tariffs, but you have to realize there are a couple of factors here to consider. FCs take on this is far too linear for a more complex situation. 1. We have basically just been an inactive participant in a trade war for about 30 years and other countries have reaped fhe benefit of that. Ideally, China would drop tariffs on American goods to an equal level, but if that isnt going to happen then we need to raise ours to match them. Yes, domestic commodities are going to be hurt, but not because we won't be selling them overseas, its because the dollar will strengthen in relation to the Yuan. On the flip side, that also means oil will be cheaper because the dollar is the world's reserve currency and all transactions are made with us dollars. Yes, consumer products will become more expensive which will suck, but with that inflation comes wage increases. I was skeptical of trump's plan because typical wage growth lags inflation, but we have seen the opposite occur but now we do kind of need inflation to start creeping up a bit for the sake of having a healthy GDP growth rate. You want more products being produced here but not just for the sake of making more stuff. That eventually leads to glut, which can and will have a boomerang effect on manufactuing. While you want a stronger dollar relative to foreign currencies, you don't want a stronger dollar relative to domestic products and inventory which is what tariffs will accomplish. It all comes back to the advantage we have from being the worlds reserve currency. I could go on and on but I'll spare you any more rambling.

Reactions: humanjerk
I'm not in favor of tariffs, but you have to realize there are a couple of factors here to consider. FCs take on this is far too linear for a more complex situation.
You forgot a big one: We owe China trillions of dollars. Loans for our Middle East wars was deemed a better way to go than making Americans actually feel it’s impact on their pocketbooks at the time.

It all comes back to the advantage we have from being the worlds reserve currency.
But it shouldn’t be taken for granted this will always be the case. The crazier we act, the less certain this status is going forward.

You forgot a big one: We owe China trillions of dollars. Loans for our Middle East wars was deemed a better way to go than making Americans actually feel it’s impact on their pocketbooks at the time.

But it shouldn’t be taken for granted this will always be the case. The crazier we act, the less certain this status is going forward.

To the first part, yes and no. We do owe them, but they also hold over a trillion dollars in us currency physically. They put themselves in a precarious situation by using the dollar to secure their own currency all while loaning it back to us. You may remember that in 2008, Russia had a plan to collapse our economy and it was based on trying to get China to flood dollars back into the US. China knew that would collapse the yuan so they told Russia to shove it. This is largely why the dollar has little risk of being replaced by another currency.

You have to remember that the dollar isnt just a medium for exchange, its the largest commodity that the US produces. The world can't operate without it.

Reactions: DaShuckster
You may remember that in 2008, Russia had a plan to collapse our economy and it was based on trying to get China to flood dollars back into the US. China knew that would collapse the yuan so they told Russia to shove it.

Thanks for giving me greater confidence in keeping our global currency status. Regarding your quote above, isn’t it heartwarming to see how much Putin has changed in less than a decade? He’s gone from an evil dictator hellbent on destroying the US to our friend. What a transformation!

Thanks for giving me greater confidence in keeping our global currency status. Regarding your quote above, isn’t it heartwarming to see how much Putin has changed in less than a decade? He’s gone from an evil dictator hellbent on destroying the US to our friend. What a transformation!
The only legitimate path to the dollar being replaced is if we become an active partner in trying to make it happen, via the IMF. That would be economic suicide and quite honestly its the biggest threat posed by a Sanders type becoming president.

What a mess.

It could all end instantly if China simply signed an Agreement where they vow to stop stealing from this country and engaging in state sponsored theft and fraud. Which was agreed to and on the table, until their President went back on the entire agreement.

But I am 100% certain you are going to whine and blame Trump so go ahead.

Trump warns China it will be 'hurt badly' by trade war, in rambling misspelled Twitter attack on President Xi

Donald Trump has warned China that it would be “hurt very badly” by a trade war in a rambling Twitter attack on President Xi Jinping.

The US president responded to criticism of his decision to increase tariffs by warning his Chinese counterpart not to retaliate and accusing him of backing out of a ”great deal”.

In a series of misspelled tweets, he also suggested that “there will be nobody left in China to do business with” if the dispute continued.

The rambling barrage came after his top economic adviser Larry Kudlow admitted that the US would “suffer” as a result of the tariff increase because the public would have to pay more for goods.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rade-war-tariffs-twitter-attack-a8911376.html

lmao vErY sTAbLe gEnIuS

Glad that we now have a president who looks out for us in regards to countries that have been screwing us for decades

The TDS’ers just want it to continue.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Glad that we now have a president who looks out for us in regards to countries that have been screwing us for decades
Wow, quite the admission here, Ucfmikes.

I never would have expected you to publicly state the Democratic Party had it right for all these years.

Well, I'll be damned. Does this mean you're a pro-union, pro-tariff guy too? Who would have thunk it?

Neither. This is the problem with you lefties, your head is stuck too far into the "hate the President at all times" sand to see what's going on here.

I want free and open markets. I want free trade. Neither of these have been possible or practiced by China, it's been a 1 way street for 30 years, and they've stolen untold fortunes from this country by their policy of state sponsored theft.

I see this trade negotiation as a net win. Anything China agrees to in negotiations will be something we wouldn't of had. My guess is something is settled in a month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT