ADVERTISEMENT

Covid deaths pushing toward 5k per day.

Is Covid-19 worse than the flu?

• Total voters
I look at South Korea and Japan. They have metropolitan areas similar to NYC, have had the virus around longer, and I think their numbers are trustworthy. NYC outpaces their entire countries by more than a factor of 10. Not likely.
Completely different cultures there. Look at every other westernized country in the world and the rates are similar or higher than the USA. I mean USA has 19 times the murder rate of Japan and 8 times that of South Korea.

Completely different cultures there. Look at every other westernized country in the world and the rates are similar or higher than the USA. I mean USA has 19 times the murder rate of Japan and 8 times that of South Korea.
I dont want to derail this discussion, but that is a terrible equivalency. Murder rate has nothing to do with an infectious disease.

I dont want to derail this discussion, but that is a terrible equivalency. Murder rate has nothing to do with an infectious disease.
I think you missed the point. You are comparing outcomes for the US to Asian countries to make your point that the US must be over counting deaths. A more accurate comparison is Europe as they are much more similar in customs. In reality 5 of the top 6 European countries by GDP (Spain, France, Netherlands, Italy, and UK) actually have a higher death rate per capita than the US. As does Belgium and Ireland. Even the nordic model that likes to be held up by truthers Sweden has a higher death rate. The only country that is somewhat comparable to the US that has a lower rate is Germany who by all accounts has done a fantastic job handling the virus. They still have 17 times the death rate of Japan.

I think you missed the point. You are comparing outcomes for the US to Asian countries to make your point that the US must be over counting deaths. A more accurate comparison is Europe as they are much more similar in customs. In reality 5 of the top 6 European countries by GDP (Spain, France, Netherlands, Italy, and UK) actually have a higher death rate per capita than the US. As does Belgium and Ireland. Even the nordic model that likes to be held up by truthers Sweden has a higher death rate. The only country that is somewhat comparable to the US that has a lower rate is Germany who by all accounts has done a fantastic job handling the virus. They still have 17 times the death rate of Japan.
What do customs have to do with an infectious virus? It seems like population density and living conditions would be more applicable for comparison.

What do customs have to do with an infectious virus? It seems like population density and living conditions would be more applicable for comparison.
Cleanliness and wearing masks in public is common in Asian cultures. The measures the US started weeks or perhaps months too late to flatten the curve and stop the spread are already commonplace there. Especially in the wake of SARS. Once 1% of the population gets infected it is very difficult to contain. South Korea and Japan limited infections initially which helped them contain the virus. Meanwhile we were holding campaign rallies and calling it a hoax as it spread through the country.

https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

Cleanliness and wearing masks in public is common in Asian cultures. The measures the US started weeks or perhaps months too late to flatten the curve and stop the spread are already commonplace there. Especially in the wake of SARS. Once 1% of the population gets infected it is very difficult to contain. South Korea and Japan limited infections initially which helped them contain the virus. Meanwhile we were holding campaign rallies and calling it a hoax as it spread through the country.

https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/
Fair enough. Not sure I totally buy it but thats a plausible theory. It still seems odd that NYC would be outpacing them in cases and deaths by such a wide margin though. 3, maybe 4 times I could see. 14 times? That seems unlikely. I would think that there would be at least one metro area in the world that we could compare NYC to, but there really isn't one.

Fair enough. Not sure I totally buy it but thats a plausible theory. It still seems odd that NYC would be outpacing them in cases and deaths by such a wide margin though. 3, maybe 4 times I could see. 14 times? That seems unlikely. I would think that there would be at least one metro area in the world that we could compare NYC to, but there really isn't one.
Like I said the best european country has 17 times the death rate of Japan per capita. You are welcome to throw out some ideas. But my main point is pointing to a couple of Asian countries that are doing better than the US as evidence of inflating deaths falls flat when there are literally 5 times as many European countries doing worse.

Like I said the best european country has 17 times the death rate of Japan per capita. You are welcome to throw out some ideas. But my main point is pointing to a couple of Asian countries that are doing better than the US as evidence of inflating deaths falls flat when there are literally 5 times as many European countries doing worse.
Its not the US as a whole, because most of the US is doing very well. We have an outlier in NYC, and its not only an outlier in this country but also worldwide. Nowhere else in the world has seen the kind of catastrophe that they have. <7% of the total population has 30% of the total deaths. That doesnt pass the sniff test.

Its not the US as a whole, because most of the US is doing very well. We have an outlier in NYC, and its not only an outlier in this country but also worldwide. Nowhere else in the world has seen the kind of catastrophe that they have. <7% of the total population has 30% of the total deaths. That doesnt pass the sniff test.
I’m not sure what sniff test you are referring to. Are you insinuating that people weren’t dying in excess in New York City compared to historical levels? Even more than the Covid deaths reported? Or are you saying there is another cause for all the excess deaths? In Lombardy Italy 16k deaths have been reported. In New York City 20k deaths have been reported. New York City has a much higher population density than any other large westernized city in the world.

I’m not sure what sniff test you are referring to. Are you insinuating that people weren’t dying in excess in New York City compared to historical levels? Even more than the Covid deaths reported? Or are you saying there is another cause for all the excess deaths? In Lombardy Italy 16k deaths have been reported. In New York City 20k deaths have been reported. New York City has a much higher population density than any other large westernized city in the world.
The NYC metro has somewhere around 20 million people and has had around 28,000 deaths. Thats basically the same number of deaths in the UK or France which both have more than 3 times the population, and both have metro areas comparable to NYC. It just seems like an anomaly.

The NYC metro has somewhere around 20 million people and has had around 28,000 deaths. Thats basically the same number of deaths in the UK or France which both have more than 3 times the population, and both have metro areas comparable to NYC. It just seems like an anomaly.
NYC metro area has a larger population than London or Paris metro areas. I would venture to guess the majority of the cases and deaths in France and UK are related to travel in London or Paris. But those countries don’t have the breakdowns released. I’m still not sure what you are getting at. Is the conspiracy that the people in NYC metro aren’t dying at all or just they are dying of other causes at an unusually high rate?

Just out of curiosity I wanted to see if NYC metro was truly an outlier in the US as you say by comparing it to 2 of the other early hotspots in Detroit and New Orleans. So For New York, 28K reported deaths in a metro population of 20.3 million is 0.138% of the population.

Wayne County Michigan has 2,313 deaths and a population of 1.75 million. That’s 0.132% of the population.

Orleans Parrish Louisiana has 500 deaths and a population of 391K. That is 0.128% of the population.

The only thing unusual about NYC is it’s massive population which makes the underlying count of deaths high, but it’s rate of deaths is not significantly higher than other early hotspots in the US. Especially given the population density differences.

NYC metro area has a larger population than London or Paris metro areas. I would venture to guess the majority of the cases and deaths in France and UK are related to travel in London or Paris. But those countries don’t have the breakdowns released. I’m still not sure what you are getting at. Is the conspiracy that the people in NYC metro aren’t dying at all or just they are dying of other causes at an unusually high rate?

What I'm getting at is that it seems likely that they are over reporting.

Yesterday Washington came out and said they had counted at least 5 gunshot wound deaths as Covid deaths. That makes 4 states so far that have admitted to over reporting.

If their numbers are correct, that means there are 24 times more people with the antibodies than have had the virus. That raises a lot of questions.
Congrats to Crazyhole---The WC's Covid-19 Poster of the Year!

A few days into the pandemic, hydroxychloroquine was the miracle cure...but the number of New Yorker covid deaths and Swedes with antibodies "raises a lot of questions." :)

What I'm getting at is that it seems likely that they are over reporting.

Yesterday Washington came out and said they had counted at least 5 gunshot wound deaths as Covid deaths. That makes 4 states so far that have admitted to over reporting.
Your anecdotal evidence doesn’t prove an overall overcount. Just that individual instances are mis counted. On the aggregate there are more false negatives in the count than false positives. Based on excess death numbers.

Your anecdotal evidence doesn’t prove an overall overcount. Just that individual instances are mis counted. On the aggregate there are more false negatives in the count than false positives. Based on excess death numbers.
Well anything outside of the average is somewhat anecdotal. All im saying is that NYC is so far outside the average in several ways that it raises questions about the validity.

We all should be hiding if Biden wins.
After these last four years, you've GOT to be kidding me!!!!!

There's never been a more dangerous or more reckless man in the White House in our nation's history than Donald Trump.

There's never been a more dangerous or more reckless man in the White House in our nation's history than Donald Trump.
That’s your opinion when your stuck in you house with TDS. You don’t actually interact with other humans

After these last four years, you've GOT to be kidding me!!!!!

Why? Economy was improving, no new wars, racial tension is down, we stymied a global pandemic death toll, consumer confidence was up and private debt load was down. So reckless.

Well anything outside of the average is somewhat anecdotal. All im saying is that NYC is so far outside the average in several ways that it raises questions about the validity.
The early hotspots are all above the average. Lombardy, Paris, New Orleans (due to Mardi Gras), New York, and Detroit were some of the earliest hotspots. Their cases multiplied exponentially while there were no precautions in place. The areas where the spread occurred after we started social distancing weren’t hit anywhere near as hard. For that exact reason actually.

Reactions: Crazyhole
From the link you provided the overall estimate is 0.4% which is in line with what has been seen based on antibody studies.
Maybe I missed it in their numbers, but all I see is .004 of symptomatic cases. Some accounts have the number of total cases being 3 times the number of symptomatic cases.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT