ADVERTISEMENT

DG

Some of us have talked about the (unlikely) scenario that DG is going to try to go to the NFL after this year. But what I haven’t heard about that I would imagine is more likely is that DG transfers to a P5 school (like KZ). He’s been working hard to build his “brand” and he’s gained a large enough profile as a player that many schools would want him for a year (or two). I could imagine that he would enter the portal and go to a P5 school for a “chance” to compete for a national title. He and Mikey appear to be close, and though Mikey hasn’t exactly played well, he could say that it’s Mikey’s team now (like KZ did) and enter the portal. This would be my concern for next year.

Some of us have talked about the (unlikely) scenario that DG is going to try to go to the NFL after this year. But what I haven’t heard about that I would imagine is more likely is that DG transfers to a P5 school (like KZ). He’s been working hard to build his “brand” and he’s gained a large enough profile as a player that many schools would want him for a year (or two). I could imagine that he would enter the portal and go to a P5 school for a “chance” to compete for a national title. He and Mikey appear to be close, and though Mikey hasn’t exactly played well, he could say that it’s Mikey’s team now (like KZ did) and enter the portal. This would be my concern for next year.

Situation isn't the same. KZ was coming off a catastrophic knee injury and no clue if he would ever play again. DG is coming off a broken clavicle and probably be back this season. It is still DG team.

Situation isn't the same. KZ was coming off a catastrophic knee injury and no clue if he would ever play again. DG is coming off a broken clavicle and probably be back this season. It is still DG team.
We will likely be in BIG12 for 2023 season. DGs super duper due to covid senor season.

Not even close to the same situation. KZ is to DG, as DG is to Mikey. Not even close. DG is a top 10 QB when healthy. He'll want to play with Gus's new toys as the recruiting talent rolls in (let's hope it gets developed).

DG not transferring unless he loses the job, which I don't see happening unless a new transfer comes in. Also, I don't understand how people think he is NFL ready. He has shown a lot of growth and potential but I don't see an NFL-level QB.

DG is coming back next year and I wouldn't be surprised if also the following year.

DG not transferring unless he loses the job, which I don't see happening unless a new transfer comes in. Also, I don't understand how people think he is NFL ready. He has shown a lot of growth and potential but I don't see an NFL-level QB.

DG is coming back next year and I wouldn't be surprised if also the following year.
When we see him handling the offense like it is his (and second nature), he might be ready. You can see it when it happens. I agree, he's not there yet and that may take another season or even two. KZ was mentally ready in 2018 but highly likely didn't have the physical tools to go pro (and make a 52-man roster). Even in his case he most likely would have finished out 2019 (had he not been injured.....especially since that means he wouldn't have gotten injured and potentially could have had the team on anywhere up to a 38-39 game win streak). Jemarcus Russell had a gun but was not ready at all to be a pro. It didn't turn out well for him (other than he did make a lot of money so maybe he did do the right thing?!?!?). Lot's of players have a tool or some tools but you need to be the best "complete package" of yourself to even think about going pro.

Reactions: akahotsizzle
that is not even close to the same situation as KZ-DG . Keene won’t be the long term starter here or any Power 5 Program so if DG leaves he is not handing off anything. DG had one of the best deep balls in the nation as a True Freshman

KZ to me was going to be more like a Kellen Moore type. Very successful college career (Moore's stats are outrageous!) and was good enough to get some tryouts in the NFL but was never going to be drafted. Probably show enough to hang around an organization but would ultimately be part of a coaching staff somewhere.

DG has a much bigger arm than KZ. KZ was the ultimate touch passer. Which was odd with such a short wind-up. No question to me who is more desirable at the next level between the two and to me it's Dillon because of the arm. They're both very good at what they do but Dillon has the edge on pushing the ball downfield and has a bit more mass to him.

I don't have names readily available but I am sure there are far worse QBs out that that had very long careers, so anything is possible.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
that is not even close to the same situation as KZ-DG . Keene won’t be the long term starter here or any Power 5 Program so if DG leaves he is not handing off anything. DG had one of the best deep balls in the nation as a True Freshman
Man, I don't know how you manage to speak with such authority. Do you have a crystal ball?

I still don't believe the match of Gabriel and Malzahn is what either really wants. Not that they can't succeed. However, I think Malzahn has a different preference in skillset/type of player for the QB position. A QB that fits Malzahn's system more could take the role before Gabriel is done playing.

Reactions: Yaes
I still don't believe the match of Gabriel and Malzahn is what either really wants. Not that they can't succeed. However, I think Malzahn has a different preference in skillset/type of player for the QB position. A QB that fits Malzahn's system more could take the role before Gabriel is done playing.
Do you think Thomas Castellanos is more of Malzahn's QB? Do you think he could replace DG?

Do you think Thomas Castellanos is more of Malzahn's QB? Do you think he could replace DG?
No idea, I am not one to speculate based on what someone does in HS. That being said, I can't imagine he is not recruiting someone that isn't the mold of what he prefers in a QB. It all depends on what Malzahn see's in camp. Gabriel is talented enough that Malzahn has to stick with him if someone comes in and needs work to be solid, but if someone came in like Gabriel and started competing from day 1 and Malzahn shows favoritism (which he has demonstrated that any position is up for grabs), I can absolutely see Gabriel headed to the transfer portal.

I throw shade at sloth because he could have at least let KZ take a snap at the end of the USF game last year but didn’t. That was just downright disrespectful to KZ and UCF fans.
He was offered it and declined. He wanted to start somewhere.

For sure Castellanos looks like more of a Nick Marshall type on film (think I mentioned that somewhere here). Maybe the kind of guy that will have 700-1,000 rushing yards and 2,700-3,000 passing or something like that. A true dual-threat guy. For sure we're going to get away from what we've been used to with the passing game. So long as we get the W's I don't think I care.

For sure Castellanos looks like more of a Nick Marshall type on film (think I mentioned that somewhere here). Maybe the kind of guy that will have 700-1,000 rushing yards and 2,700-3,000 passing or something like that. A true dual-threat guy. For sure we're going to get away from what we've been used to with the passing game. So long as we get the W's I don't think I care.
He throws 150-200 in high school games. He isn’t throwing 300 in college.

Quadry being moved to WR bc of how little Gus thinks of our skill talent + our offense the last few games and people still want to say it was DG holding UCF back smh….he may go down as one of the most under appreciated players to come through this Program

Reactions: U C to the F
Quadry being moved to WR bc of how little Gus thinks of our skill talent + our offense the last few games and people still want to say it was DG holding UCF back smh….he may go down as one of the most under appreciated players to come through this Program
I can’t believe how bad our WR talent has gotten. Outside of Flash and O’Keefe, we can’t consistently count on any of them to do anything let alone catch the ball.

It’s crazy, under O’Leary 4 star Josh Reese couldn’t even see the field until his junior season and even then he was the fourth option. He’d be too dog right now. I at least know he could catch and block.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I can’t believe how bad our WR talent has gotten. Outside of Flash and O’Keefe, we can’t consistently count on any of them to do anything let alone catch the ball.

It’s crazy, under O’Leary 4 star Josh Reese couldn’t even see the field until his junior season and even then he was the fourth option. He’d be too dog right now. I at least know he could catch and block.
I think Keene has a lot to do with it. I believe Titus is a 4 star and not playing every snap. We have talent at skill positions. You can’t tell because all we do is run or quick screens.

Reactions: U C to the F
I think Keene has a lot to do with it. I believe Titus is a 4 star and not playing every snap. We have talent at skill positions. You can’t tell because all we do is run or quick screens.
That has some to do with it, but in general you can see a huge talent drop off compared to previous years

I didn't realize people were saying DG was holding UCF back. He was definitely being used differently this year. In fact the pass game this year is very different than years past and I don't think that is all on Mikey. Gus is calling the plays. Very few long balls even before DG was injured. I for one am very glad to see Quadry get the chance to play. Hope he is successful at WR.

I didn't realize people were saying DG was holding UCF back. He was definitely being used differently this year. In fact the pass game this year is very different than years past and I don't think that is all on Mikey. Gus is calling the plays. Very few long balls even before DG was injured. I for one am very glad to see Quadry get the chance to play. Hope he is successful at WR.
a lot of the online fanbase has …could dig up some freezing cold takes when he got hurt by some big fans on the Twitter machine

Play calls don’t usually have 1 receiver getting ball no matter what. 4 or 5 options depending on personnel. It’s up to the QB to read defense and decide who is open. If Keene picks the first option every time, that’s on him. If he doesn’t read blitz right and doesn’t throw to hot route that’s on him. Are we doing the Heupel only one side of field is being used or is everyone running routes?

He’s moved to WR because he is buried on the QB depth chart. Not because he is going to accrue game time at WR. Working out with receivers doesn’t mean he’s high on the options list for receivers on the team.

Even more funny is Ahmad, Craig Myers, Jordan Johnson, and Titus were all 4 stars and also can barely see the field. The WR coach here is atrocious. Was fired by Heupel. Hired back out of necessity because it was too late in the game to find a better option. He’s got to go after this year I think.

Reactions: KnightVision82
Even more funny is Ahmad, Craig Myers, Jordan Johnson, and Titus were all 4 stars and also can barely see the field. The WR coach here is atrocious. Was fired by Heupel. Hired back out of necessity because it was too late in the game to find a better option. He’s got to go after this year I think.
Hmmmm… that’s interesting and makes me think it would be a good idea to bring back Beckton next year if he isn’t retained at NGEbraska.
There‘s already a Beckton thread discussing this topic and I bet he’d like to come “home”. We should be willing to accept him back with open arms.

You really think KZ wanted to go in for 1 snap? That’s embarrassing. You either are good for actual playing time or you aren’t. He’s not and that’s why he isn’t playing at FSU now.
I heard him say or read in an interview that he refused to do this when offered by Heupel. He wanted some real playing time. Anyway it is all a moot point as his chances for playing pro ball are pretty much non-existent at this point. He will be a great coach and may get a movie opportunity in the future. Watch :)

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT