ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Gus

I'm willing to give Gus one more year and reduce the buyout (which is going to happen anyway),
Nice to see someone say that. Thank you. All I'm asking is for people to be realistic.

but Terry has to get him to give up play calling and bring in an innovative OC and/or QB coach.
So ... yes, and no. Yes, with Brown being malleable, it's not a bad time to do it. But no, it's not going to change much, even with a new QB/OC.

I.e., doing so means restarting, and that means whomever we bring in, needs to keep much of Gus' playbook for 2025 to have a chance.

One thing Heupel did do correct is keep most of Frost's playbook. To change it would have really hurt 2018's chances. Heupel just brought in a few plays, some of which destroyed Pitt and others.

yea, and we will have been demanding this for what, 3, 4 years?
And how many times have we done it already? Then switched back?

We run a RPO, which means it's on the QB quite a bit. I'm just glad KJ isn't running it any more. He clearly did not have much practice with the team, and could not execute fast enough.

Brown very much does. Brown reminds me of JRP, only bigger and even faster!

Kind of hard to get him to agree to give up responsibility. Given that last year he blamed all the problems on the fact that he gave too much control to coordinators. He doesn't like to point fingers at himself.
And this is why I’m all for firing. Gus wants to run the show…and the show is a shit show.

He exhibits zero accountability; talks like a politician without any specifics; there’s no reason as a fan that any of this improves. How on earth is this allowed?

I'm willing to give Gus one more year and reduce the buyout (which is going to happen anyway), but Terry has to get him to give up play calling and bring in an innovative OC and/or QB coach.
The AD brought in an offensive coordinator last year with that intention Gus obliterated that after several games. I don’t know if it was the right offensive coordinator ( I’m sure Gus selected Hinshaw initially ) to bring in, but one does need to be brought in because Gus doesn’t have it.

Kind of hard to get him to agree to give up responsibility. Given that last year he blamed all the problems on the fact that he gave too much control to coordinators. He doesn't like to point fingers at himself.
I didn't get the impression of that at all. I only got the impression that he wants to call the offense, if he's going to get blamed any way. I don't (pun)blame(pun) him for that attitude.

KJ struggled to run his offense, and clearly didn't learn the playbook. Gus had to dumb it down for KJ, sadly enough. Brown will learn it. But it's not happening overnight. People need to be patient, new QB#1.

Treat Brown in 2024 like Milton in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT