ADVERTISEMENT

Football Signing Day/Recruiting Countdown - Post all info here!

Let's face it. No strategy is foolproof
Frost could have done this, that, or the other. In the end, there is no controlling these 17/18 year olds. They are going to do what they are going to do
Yep. Trolling on Social Media is a Sport to this Generation.

Recruiting is definitely tougher to predict now vs the pre Twitter Era where a lot of them play games for attention. What Dorsey out of Jacksonville just did a few days ago is another example of it.

Yep. Trolling on Social Media is a Sport to this Generation.

Recruiting is definitely tougher to predict now vs the pre Twitter Era where a lot of them play games for attention. What Dorsey out of Jacksonville just did a few days ago is another example of it.
I think even Frost, although young, is frustrated with the disloyalty and soclal media shenanigans.

Yes, we have gone bowling this year and have even higher expectations for '17. But I can't help but think that 13 months ago, we were coming off of 0-12 and had about 5 recruits, with less than 2 mos to signing day. I still have to tip my hat to Frost and his team for where we are today, and the widespread feeling that they will do whatever is in their power to continue in a positive direction.

Reactions: UCFan07
Let's face it. No strategy is foolproof
Frost could have done this, that, or the other. In the end, there is no controlling these 17/18 year olds. They are going to do what they are going to do
If the new dual signing period comes into play, it seems it may address part of this issue. At least then, a significant portion of each class is signed and a done deal by December. Then coaches only have to focus on the last minute "hold-outs" without any risk of losing their early recruits. Sounds like this will be a relief to the process.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
If the new dual signing period comes into play, it seems it may address part of this issue. At least then, a significant portion of each class is signed and a done deal by December. Then coaches only have to focus on the last minute "hold-outs" without any risk of losing their early recruits. Sounds like this will be a relief to the process.
But then these shenanigans would just happen in November as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 80'sKnight
Yeah I get there'd be two dates but you would have social media drama leading up to both dates. All of these kids want fame and followers and attention
Yes, drama two times, but come January, theoretically more than half of your class would be signed already. So the drama at this time of year would be limited to 5 or 6 spots and there would be no need to try to protect your own commits as they have already signed their LOI in December. Also, it reduces the number of positions that coaches have to recruit for in January as they then know what positions they have left to address.

I'll be skeptical until he signs his LOI, no matter what I hear about him being solid.
He de-commited by choice of the coaches. It's over. Looks like he doesn't have a backup school because he wasn't looking.

None
C20yRZ5UoAA91Um.jpg

So is it the same as the GOL policy? You are committed to us or you are going on visits.

Is that the reason for the decommit?

You know what, If the kid was playing the "I can't make up my mind game and I'm a kid in a candy store now with all this attention" and Frost said "bye" then so be it!

You know what, If the kid was playing the "I can't make up my mind game and I'm a kid in a candy store now with all this attention" and Frost said "bye" then so be it!

I doubt that is the true story. Something happened behind the scenes.

May just be a knee-jerk reaction but with the decommits and no big time prospects seemingly lined up for the next week and a half- is it possible that Frost's 1st class with very little time was/is better than this class as of right now?

Reactions: firm_bizzle
then why did Frost take the UCF job when he reportedly had offers at Syracuse and Maryland? And he took it coming off 0-12 with way more openings than this recent coaching carousel.

Probably in part because UCF looked like one of the top potential additions to the B12. Also I think he, like every other reasonable person, understood that the talent on the team was not an 0-12 talent level. My guess is that we might have a problem getting him if it were this year. UCF does have its advantages, I just don't think it is as strong as many make it out to be. UCF will essentially have to out grow all the other programs at this point.

I think that he went to Purdue without telling any of the coaches.

Reactions: UCFan07
May just be a knee-jerk reaction but with the decommits and no big time prospects seemingly lined up for the next week and a half- is it possible that Frost's 1st class with very little time was/is better than this class as of right now?

Frost should start recruiting in November.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Probably in part because UCF looked like one of the top potential additions to the B12. Also I think he, like every other reasonable person, understood that the talent on the team was not an 0-12 talent level. My guess is that we might have a problem getting him if it were this year. UCF does have its advantages, I just don't think it is as strong as many make it out to be. UCF will essentially have to out grow all the other programs at this point.
Houston and UCF underperforming in this cycle means more parity for the AAC. No elite teams means that it's hard to build momentum for elite recruits.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Maybe Frost can finish strong tho- i mean we landed our highest rated recruit- Snelson literally last second during a Periscope live event at his school.
Snelson and others were on the radar. It doesn't appear like we have a bunch of top players on the radar now. This really sucks because I was looking forward to a full recruiting class after 6 years of 20 player classes. This is almost like another year of sanctions.

Reactions: Mikesi and UCFan07
I doubt that is the true story. Something happened behind the scenes.

I think the story is just as simple as he got offers from Purdue, Florida, and LSU. He liked UCF but the big boys came calling. He's like most high schoolers, still a child with only a conceptual understanding of the word commitment.

I don't have a problem with him taking the best offer but the entire recruiting system mistakes one for a number of other words. There is almost no such thing as a commitment, from either side, for more than a year - even with a signature.

Snelson and others were on the radar. It doesn't appear like we have a bunch of top players on the radar now. This really sucks because I was looking forward to a full recruiting class after 6 years of 20 player classes. This is almost like another year of sanctions.
Still may be players that are under the radar or we dont know about yet.

A signing day in December won't do much to stop any of this. What you need (to benefit G5) is an early signing day in Oct or Nov, BEFORE the end of the High School season. That way, the G5 coaches, and maybe P5, who are really out there looking for hidden gems can get their recruits signed before the notice from the "big boys" because of their last season's accolades. It may also be a benefit to the recruits too- going to a G5 team where they could excel and get noticed rather than being a 3 star on the bench behind 4 and 5 stars. December is too late, few big name 4 and 5 stars will sign early because they'll want to play the field, and lesser star players won't sign early because they'll be listening to their coaches telling them how good they've done this year "Hold out". Probably those who've known since 6th grade where they want to go will sign.

Houston and UCF underperforming in this cycle means more parity for the AAC. No elite teams means that it's hard to build momentum for elite recruits.
I think we are seeing the fallout from the B12 decision for the first time. In previous years we had the Big East and then the B12. always there was a hope of moving up a division as a method to sell recruits. Some of these recruits were sold on UCF before the B12 decision. Now there is no way to sell players on the ability to move to the next level. So when as P5 program comes calling they are more apt to listen.

Also this is Frost's first experience with the full recruiting season. He is learning the hard way that most of these players have little or no concept of loyalty. Last season there was no time for betrayal.

Reactions: UCFSig
Yes, drama two times, but come January, theoretically more than half of your class would be signed already. So the drama at this time of year would be limited to 5 or 6 spots and there would be no need to try to protect your own commits as they have already signed their LOI in December. Also, it reduces the number of positions that coaches have to recruit for in January as they then know what positions they have left to address.

O'Leary...who was one of the leaders for early signing period for a long, long time, noted how much expense (and time) was having to be wasted on keeping your commits...all the way thru Feb signing day...where if they had an early signing period (early/mid Dec), you would have at least half your class in the can...and then you wouldn't have to spend a dime (or one minute) on those recruits and you could target the remaining ones you need to fill out your class.

For major P5 programs, time/money is not a problem...but for most G5 programs, it is.

New early signing period for Mid Dec will be officially voted on come April and could be implemented to start this Dec.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT