ADVERTISEMENT

Is Baseball in Trouble?

You do the same thing with political discussions as you are doing in this topic. If anyone doesn't agree with 100% of your post you go to absolutes and labels. Read my posts, I'm not some scarf wearing soccer lover. I said the in person experience of an Orlando City game is better than the Rays. That's it. And @sk8knight posted the age numbers that my first reply as to why I and a lot of people think baseball's future could have issues. Hell Derek Jeter is a part owner of a team and he acknowledged this.

The problem is those numbers were outdated from 2013. In the last 5 years the knowledge of CTE and football has increased dramatically and has correlated into a decline in youth numbers and a decline in viewership in the NFL last year (some of that decline may be political as well).

Baseball is just starting to reap those benefits. Youth baseball participation is up.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story...all-participation-on-the-rise-051817?amp=true

And baseball viewership is best viewed through regional broadcasts as well. MLB.TV subscriptions are solid. Because the Rays for example get decent viewership on TV, despite the fact that no one goes to the games in that dump of a stadium that is hard to get to.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...e-29-u-s-teams-shows-mlb-rules-summer-tv/amp/

Reactions: Poolside Knight
The problem is those numbers were outdated from 2013. In the last 5 years the knowledge of CTE and football has increased dramatically and has correlated into a decline in youth numbers and a decline in viewership in the NFL last year (some of that decline may be political as well).

Baseball is just starting to reap those benefits. Youth baseball participation is up.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story...all-participation-on-the-rise-051817?amp=true

And baseball viewership is best viewed through regional broadcasts as well. MLB.TV subscriptions are solid. Because the Rays for example get decent viewership on TV, despite the fact that no one goes to the games in that dump of a stadium that is hard to get to.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...e-29-u-s-teams-shows-mlb-rules-summer-tv/amp/

I was going to respond but you already summed things up perfectly.

This is not to mention that the MLB arguably has its' best lineup of young superstars in a long time and they're making more money than ever.

Reactions: Ace of Knights
I was going to respond but you already summed things up perfectly.

This is not to mention that the MLB arguably has its' best lineup of young superstars in a long time and they're making more money than ever.

The MLB has had trouble marketing their superstars in the past. I think that’s changing. Trout, Harper, Arenado, Altuve, Correa, Springer, Judge, Stanton, Bryant are all people staring to get some push and it’s about time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-degrees...r-something-far-worse-baseball-152051024.html

attendance is way down across the board. of course there has been some really crappy weather too. i bet that the tv ratings are better but still not a good sign for mlb.

24 games postponed so far...6 on Sunday alone. Hell, Toronto has a dome and they cancelled yesterday's game. With more snow expected in Chicagoland tomorrow, probably another 3-4.

Put it this way, when 18 of the 30 teams play in cold-weather cities, and only two of those teams have domes, that’s going to be trouble. And it is. The 24 postponements so far are the second-most Major League Baseball has had in April since 2000, and there’s still almost half the month to go.

The game is fine...just bad weather. The "anonymous" league official needs to be fired. It's just freakn COLD.

24 games postponed so far...6 on Sunday alone. Hell, Toronto has a dome and they cancelled yesterday's game. With more snow expected in Chicagoland tomorrow, probably another 3-4.

Put it this way, when 18 of the 30 teams play in cold-weather cities, and only two of those teams have domes, that’s going to be trouble. And it is. The 24 postponements so far are the second-most Major League Baseball has had in April since 2000, and there’s still almost half the month to go.

The game is fine...just bad weather. The "anonymous" league official needs to be fired. It's just freakn COLD.

Nope- MLB is going to cease operations any day now

Um yes, I said there was money overseas, which all of those players are.

Europeans playing in European leagues.

There is absolutely NO REASON an American can't go and play there. There was practically no soccer on TV in the USA (including European leagues) until recently. The money is in Europe, sure, but do you not think someone like Pulisic is going to be making BANK in a few years? Not only that, since the USA is relatively void of history and truly WORLD CLASS players, there is a massive opportunity for sponsorship deals from American companies for GOOD American players.

Oh - and as much as I HATE to say it - the people in ATL aren't just going for the stadium. They were filling a college football stadium last year and those fans are passionate. It helps when you have a loaded owner who is spending BIG buck (for MLS) to quickly make them one of the top teams of the league.

Reactions: UCFWayne
There is absolutely NO REASON an American can't go and play there. There was practically no soccer on TV in the USA (including European leagues) until recently. The money is in Europe, sure, but do you not think someone like Pulisic is going to be making BANK in a few years? Not only that, since the USA is relatively void of history and truly WORLD CLASS players, there is a massive opportunity for sponsorship deals from American companies for GOOD American players.

Oh - and as much as I HATE to say it - the people in ATL aren't just going for the stadium. They were filling a college football stadium last year and those fans are passionate. It helps when you have a loaded owner who is spending BIG buck (for MLS) to quickly make them one of the top teams of the league.

Well, there is a reason- if they aren't good enough. I have no idea how many Americans are in Europe now but I'd guess it's not a lot.

That's the main issue here- American kids grow up watching their sports idols that play here. Not in Europe. (Yes, i know some kids watch EPL but c'mon, it's not a lot). The NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL are THE premier leagues in those sports in the world. The best players come here to play. That's not the case with the MLS and it certainly impacts how kids view the sport.

Well, there is a reason- if they aren't good enough. I have no idea how many Americans are in Europe now but I'd guess it's not a lot.

That's the main issue here- American kids grow up watching their sports idols that play here. Not in Europe. (Yes, i know some kids watch EPL but c'mon, it's not a lot). The NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL are THE premier leagues in those sports in the world. The best players come here to play. That's not the case with the MLS and it certainly impacts how kids view the sport.
you have no idea what you are talking about. epl, la liga, and liga mx all get great ratings. and yes the kids are watching. nfl and nba are still on top but kids are more likely to name more soccer stars than mlb and nhl stars. kids dont care if mls isnt the top league becuase the top leagues are so easily accessible now.

mls is the top flight league in the world, and no one claims it to be. that said, the overall sport of soccer is extremely popular in this country and its only growing.

you have no idea what you are talking about. epl, la liga, and liga mx all get great ratings. and yes the kids are watching. nfl and nba are still on top but kids are more likely to name more soccer stars than mlb and nhl stars. kids dont care if mls isnt the top league becuase the top leagues are so easily accessible now.

mls is the top flight league in the world, and no one claims it to be. that said, the overall sport of soccer is extremely popular in this country and its only growing.

lol! I'm around youth leagues most every weekend and I've yet ever hear a kid mutter a word about any soccer stars. They can however spout off names like Longoria, Altuve, Judge, Stanton, Trout, Kluber, Harper, etc.

According to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association and the Aspen Institute, Baseball and basketball are at the top with the highest participation. Only separated by hair however, baseball is trending up while soccer, basketball, and football are trending down.

I have 5 kids (12 to 2) in Chicago and don't know many kids that can name an active professional soccer player....and when they do, it's an international player. Rizzo, Trout, Bryce, Judge, Votto, McCutchen, Posey, Kershaw, Bryant....come on man.

Reactions: Ace of Knights

I get that they aren't good enough - that was my point. They aren't good enough because kids don't stick with it because it had no exposure and wasn't a good monetary bet...until now (well, getting there). None of these MLS team academies existed and they are JUST getting to the point where they are starting to pump out talent.

It sounds like you know nothing about MLS and soccer in the USA and just want to poo poo on everything with your hyperbolic self. Why am I not surprised?

(Cue 85 saying he knows everything about soccer in 3....2...1...)

lol! I'm around youth leagues most every weekend and I've yet ever hear a kid mutter a word about any soccer stars. They can however spout off names like Longoria, Altuve, Judge, Stanton, Trout, Kluber, Harper, etc.
oh so youre around kids that love baseball and dont know soccer got it. i guess ill forget about the average high school students that didnt know anything about baseball but clearly knew soccer.

I’ll say this (by no means is it scientific): most of my hardcore football friends who played high school or college ball currently have their boys in tee ball or soccer. Football isn’t going away but both baseball and soccer are going to benefit from parents who don’t want to risk their kids on the gridiron.
+1. No football for my son if I can help it. Too much to cram in to a post, last couple NFL seasons of incessant commercials and ridiculous + college football cartel and rigged Patriots Jags game; pretty sour on football. Downgraded from neutral to avoid except for UCF and related to UCF.

I get that they aren't good enough - that was my point. They aren't good enough because kids don't stick with it because it had no exposure and wasn't a good monetary bet...until now (well, getting there). None of these MLS team academies existed and they are JUST getting to the point where they are starting to pump out talent.

It sounds like you know nothing about MLS and soccer in the USA and just want to poo poo on everything with your hyperbolic self. Why am I not surprised?

(Cue 85 saying he knows everything about soccer in 3....2...1...)

Am I crazy or wasn't this thread started by soccer fans trying to Poo Poo baseball?

I have nothing against soccer- just soccer fans that try to convince people that soccer is bigger than it is, which seems to be a common trend amongst US soccer fans. There have been countless Dungeon threads on this subject where I've seen pure lunacy spouted by soccer fans.

Now Wayne is hilariously trying to convince me that the average kid in America can't name a single MLB star yet can rattle off soccer players. I mean at some point you just have to establish that we're no longer dealing with reality.

I don't know soccer that well. I do know that the MLS, in total, is a $780M league which is just barely ahead of the Turkish Soccer league. The MLS currently has more in common with the Korean Baseball League than the NHL, which is a $3.8B sports league. Even the Premier League is only 50% of the size of the MLB.

The MLS isn't even in the same stratosphere as any of the other major sports leagues. But they'll surpass hockey and baseball in just a few years, and stuff.

Am I crazy or wasn't this thread started by soccer fans trying to Poo Poo baseball?

I have nothing against soccer- just soccer fans that try to convince people that soccer is bigger than it is, which seems to be a common trend amongst US soccer fans. There have been countless Dungeon threads on this subject where I've seen pure lunacy spouted by soccer fans.

Now Wayne is hilariously trying to convince me that the average kid in America can't name a single MLB star yet can rattle off soccer players. I mean at some point you just have to establish that we're no longer dealing with reality.

I don't know soccer that well. I do know that the MLS, in total, is a $780M league which is just barely ahead of the Turkish Soccer league. The MLS currently has more in common with the Korean Baseball League than the NHL, which is a $3.8B sports league. Even the Premier League is only 50% of the size of the MLB.

The MLS isn't even in the same stratosphere as any of the other major sports leagues. But they'll surpass hockey and baseball in just a few years, and stuff.

Uh - you brought up soccer. There was zero mention of it in the OP. So yes, you're crazy...also NO ONE said anything about a couple years. It would be short sighted by any professional sports league to just dismiss soccer, its obviously a growing sport that has an incredibly long season.

..and for what it's worth, I cannot name an MLB star other than Bryce Harper - cause I thought he was hot.

Uh - you brought up soccer. There was zero mention of it in the OP. So yes, you're crazy...also NO ONE said anything about a couple years. It would be short sighted by any professional sports league to just dismiss soccer, its obviously a growing sport that has an incredibly long season.

..and for what it's worth, I cannot name an MLB star other than Bryce Harper - cause I thought he was hot.

Okkkkkkkkkk then.

It's been the same group of posters trying to prop up soccer by crapping on baseball for years buttttttttt there was no intention of that here. Roger, ghost rider- got it.

...also FWIW, I was a HUGE baseball fan growing up. My family had season tickets to the Marlins and I was at both World Series (including Game 7 in 97). I was perfectly set-up to LOVE baseball.

I knew NOTHING about soccer growing up. Other than the WC, I couldn't even tell you what the premier league was.

Baseball is just BOOORING. Soccer gets sh!t for being boring - but it's usually the ones who don't even give it a watch that say that. As silly as it may seem but playing FIFA really helps you "get it" more. The runs players make, the traps they set, the formations, it's really fun. The cherry on top is the World Cup - there really isn't anything else like it...

Okkkkkkkkkk then.

It's been the same group of posters trying to prop up soccer by crapping on baseball for years buttttttttt there was no intention of that here. Roger, ghost rider- got it.

I'm glad you were able to prove to the board that you ALWAYS have to be right. There's barely a post about soccer on here...

YOU tried to sh!t on soccer. I simply stated you were wrong and you got triggered.

...also FWIW, I was a HUGE baseball fan growing up. My family had season tickets to the Marlins and I was at both World Series (including Game 7 in 97). I was perfectly set-up to LOVE baseball.

I knew NOTHING about soccer growing up. Other than the WC, I couldn't even tell you what the premier league was.

Baseball is just BOOORING. Soccer gets sh!t for being boring - but it's usually the ones who don't even give it a watch that say that. As silly as it may seem but playing FIFA really helps you "get it" more. The runs players make, the traps they set, the formations, it's really fun. The cherry on top is the World Cup - there really isn't anything else like it...

Oh ok- baseball is BOOOORING but soccer is exciting, because FIFA helps you understand the nuances of the game. Even if there are a grand total of 4 shots and 0 goals per game, there are games within the game!

Hmm, if only that same logic applied to baseball. Nah- it's just BOOORING!

It's been a freezing April almost everywhere in the U.S. other than Florida. Can't really take this seriously unless the trend continues into the summer.
Cold cycle of the 40-45 year NAO Period. But unlike the '70-80s cold cycle, this '10-20s cold cycle is more like the '30-40s cold cycle.

They had some really nasty hurricanes make surprise landfall back then, before the hurricane hunters let alone satellites.

It's actually moot. Soccer like hockey is flawed for television. MLB, NFL, and Hoops make all their loot from TV. Ask college football.

Soccer doesn't/very few commercials and the attempts around it, fail. WC is an outlier Hockey battles this. Without commercials, you aint going to get big TV money.

It's actually moot. Soccer like hockey is flawed for television. MLB, NFL, and Hoops make all their loot from TV. Ask college football.
Soccer doesn't/very few commercials and the attempts around it, fail. WC is an outlier Hockey battles this. Without commercials, you aint going to get big TV money.
Yes, US advertising is allergic to aerobic sports that have few breaks.

Yes, this is an annoying part of soccer which most leagues have started to crack down. Especially the USA, where video replay has been introduced. South American players/leagues are notorious for it and often try it when they come to the USA and quickly find out it doesn’t work that way here.

You keep regurgitating things about soccer that aren’t true and demonstrate you know absolutely nothing about what you’re talking about.

Oh ok- baseball is BOOOORING but soccer is exciting, because FIFA helps you understand the nuances of the game. Even if there are a grand total of 4 shots and 0 goals per game, there are games within the game!

Hmm, if only that same logic applied to baseball. Nah- it's just BOOORING!

Those stat lines rarely happen and when they do, yeah, it’s a boring game. Boring games happen in every sport.

Once again, you obviously know nothing about soccer.

Yes, this is an annoying part of soccer which most leagues have started to crack down. Especially the USA, where video replay has been introduced. South American players/leagues are notorious for it and often try it when they come to the USA and quickly find out it doesn’t work that way here.

You keep regurgitating things about soccer that aren’t true and demonstrate you know absolutely nothing about what you’re talking about.

You’re right. I’m the first person to point out the absurdity of soccer fake injuries and what pansies a lot of these players are.

Thanks for that distinction

You’re right. I’m the first person to point out the absurdity of soccer fake injuries and what pansies a lot of these players are.

Thanks for that distinction

That’s my point. It’s something that people who don’t actually watch soccer regurgitate to try to put down the sport.

I’ll stick with facts and a level head while you get all triggered with your famous Water Cooler hyperboles.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...y-cut-fewer-games-says-play-too-much-baseball
DbBRTgOW4AAgZwj

That’s my point. It’s something that people who don’t actually watch soccer regurgitate to try to put down the sport.

I’ll stick with facts and a level head while you get all triggered with your famous Water Cooler hyperboles.

This is hilarious from someone who just admitted to not watching baseball yet felt compelled to label it boring. Take some of your own advice sometime champ.

PS- I personally attended 3 EPL games last year. How many have you attended?

This is hilarious from someone who just admitted to not watching baseball yet felt compelled to label it boring. Take some of your own advice sometime champ.

PS- I personally attended 3 EPL games last year. How many have you attended?

There it is! Of course you attended 3 EPL games. You realize you’re a mirror image of chemmie, just on the other side of things?

Anyway, I told you, I was a massive fan. I lost interest because it was boring to me. Has the game changed that much in the past 10 years?

There it is! Of course you attended 3 EPL games. You realize you’re a mirror image of chemmie, just on the other side of things?

Anyway, I told you, I was a massive fan. I lost interest because it was boring to me. Has the game changed that much in the past 10 years?

Lol. Hombre, I stop into the U.K. a lot for work. I’ll be there next Thursday through Saturday. Would you like a post card?

Why are you so angry all the time?

Why are you deflecting? You literally challenged the fact that I’ve been to EPL games knowing nothing about me.

I might ask you the same question. Why are you so angry?

It’s changed a ton over the past couple of years. With sabermetrics being used by every team, defensive shifts taking advantage of hitters tendencies have changed the way guys approach hitting. They either have to become a better player and use all angles of the field or they have to get air under the ball and attempt to hit it out of the park. They are teaching players to use launch angles and use their power which has resulted in a huge uptick in homeruns over the past few years.

Last edited:
Why are you deflecting? You literally challenged the fact that I’ve been to EPL games knowing nothing about me.

I might ask you the same question. Why are you so angry?

I didn’t mean of course you did like you didn’t actually go. I meant it like, of course you did, because you always bring up you travel to Europe and thus must know everything about their lives and culture. You’re a know it all, just like chemmie claims to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT