ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Transfer Portal Open Thread

Lot's of the same noobz who continue to put their UCFoot in their mouth prior to the season and actual games being played.

Real UCFans are hoping for continued progression. And ignore these unrealistic ideas being top of the conference where half the teams are in the Top 25, and legencies of deep tournament runs and NCs.

Cincy is 9th all time in NCs. And we UCFinished tied to them. Let those UCFacts sink in.

#UCFacts

:cool:
GFY.

Reactions: Shark19
Cincinnati is still Top 10% in Tournament wins in the 20th Century. We just got our UCFirst tournament win 5 years ago.

We aren't in the same arena as our conference mates. So appreciate the progress.

#UCFacts

Just asking, what are they in the actual century we're in? 20+ years ago is practically meaningless. That said, I'm still excited about this last BB year, tho it ended badly. I expected us to have been completely embarrassed in every Big XII game except W. Virginia, which actually was an embarrassment. The win/loss looks mediocre, yet we had some great wins which shows Dawkins deserves another year, but not an extension. Why in the world does our AD extend coaches who have yet to prove they can win in this conference? It could end up being a good move, but extending coaches that were just OK in a G5 conference because they did OK in a better conference is questionable.

Just asking, what are they in the actual century we're in? 20+ years ago is practically meaningless. That said, I'm still excited about this last BB year, tho it ended badly. I expected us to have been completely embarrassed in every Big XII game except W. Virginia, which actually was an embarrassment. The win/loss looks mediocre, yet we had some great wins which shows Dawkins deserves another year, but not an extension. Why in the world does our AD extend coaches who have yet to prove they can win in this conference? It could end up being a good move, but extending coaches that were just OK in a G5 conference because they did OK in a better conference i

I don’t think you can leave a coach out there as a lame duck coach and expect them to succeed. If you were on the fence about firing him, you make 2 decisions
1) you fire him or
2) you give him a chance and extend them for at least a year if they are on the last year

They overachieved last year so I think firing him was not an option. If he were on year 3 of a 5 year contract u wouldn’t see an extension ( although I bet the extension is minimal) Also u need to replace him n there r no one that excites me much out there. I look forward to an exciting 24/25 .. I agree with much u say though

Seeing that u r an 80s Knight what years?
Charge on !!

Just asking, what are they in the actual century we're in? 20+ years ago is practically meaningless. That said, I'm still excited about this last BB year, tho it ended badly. I expected us to have been completely embarrassed in every Big XII game except W. Virginia, which actually was an embarrassment. The win/loss looks mediocre, yet we had some great wins which shows Dawkins deserves another year, but not an extension. Why in the world does our AD extend coaches who have yet to prove they can win in this conference? It could end up being a good move, but extending coaches that were just OK in a G5 conference because they did OK in a better conference is questionable.

When you use "G5" you invalidate your post, and mind.

#UCFacts

According to Joe Tipton (On3), Jamie Shaw (On3), and Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports), UCF has reached out to these players in the portal:

Big- Michael Nwoko, Miami (6-10, FR)
Wing- Roger McFarlane, SE Louisiana (6-5, JR)
Guard- Deyton Albury, Queens (NC) (6-2, JR)
Guard- Jordan Sears, Gardner-Webb/UT-Martin (5-11, SR) Committed to LSU*
Forward- Eric Dailey Jr., Oklahoma State (6-8, FR)
Forward- Keyshawn Hall, UNLV/George Mason (6-7, SO)
Guard- DJ Davis, UC-Irvine/Butler (6-1, SR)
Guard- Alston Mason, Oklahoma/Missouri State (6-2, JR)
Wing- BJ Freeman, Milwaukee (6-6, JR)
Wing- Marcus Hill, Bowling Green (6-4, JR)
Guard- Shakeel Moore, NC State/Mississippi State (6-1, SR)
Big- Basheer Jihad, Ball State (6-9/240, JR) Committed to Arizona State*
Guard- Drew Thelwell, Morehead State (6-3/195, JR)

Sears is a big-time scorer, I’m pretty sure he’s close to committing to LSU. Hall just met with Michigan State, I would bet that’s where he ends up (from the area).

Eric Dailey Jr. is my favorite name on this list, he should be UCF’s priority. From Palmetto, FL, former four-star top-100 prospect in ‘23 class played at IMG. Scored 15 points against UCF on 2/28 (4-6 FGA, 7-7 FTA’s), 12 points and 9 rebounds against UCF on 3/12.

Last edited:
According to Joe Tipton (On3), Jamie Shaw (On3), and Jon Rothstein (CBS Sports), UCF has reached out to these players in the portal:

Big- Michael Nwoko, Miami (6-10, FR)
Wing- Roger McFarlane, SE Louisiana (6-5, JR)
Guard- Deyton Albury, Queens (NC) (6-2, JR)
Guard- Jordan Sears, Gardner-Webb/UT-Martin (5-11, SR)
Forward- Eric Dailey Jr., Oklahoma State (6-8, FR)
Forward- Keyshawn Hall, UNLV/George Mason (6-7, SO)
Guard- DJ Davis, UC-Irvine/Butler (6-1, SR)
Guard- Alston Mason, Oklahoma/Missouri State (6-2, JR)
Wing- BJ Freeman, Milwaukee (6-6, JR)
Wing- Marcus Hill, Bowling Green (6-4, JR)
Guard- Shakeel Moore, NC State/Mississippi State (6-1, SR)

Sears is a big-time scorer, I’m pretty sure he’s close to committing to LSU. Hall just met with Michigan State, I would bet that’s where he ends up (from the area).

Eric Dailey Jr. is my favorite name on this list, he should be UCF’s priority. From Palmetto, FL, former four-star top-100 prospect in ‘23 class played at IMG. Scored 15 points against UCF on 2/28 (4-6 FGA, 7-7 FTA’s), 12 points and 9 rebounds against UCF on 3/12.
Fully expecting to get leftovers in the portal. Would be nice to see something happen soon though. Think we have 5 players right now lmao

Former teammate of Jaylin Sellers at Ball State. Definitely one to watch. Sellers seems to be recruiting him online.

6-9/240, big that averaged 18.6/8.0 in his first season as a starter this past season. Need it!

Reactions: KRH55

Just over 6.2 assists per game last year, led the Ohio Valley Conference. Local kid, from Orlando (played at Masters Academy). Could be a nice get, veteran guard off the bench that would allow Johnson and/or Williams to play off the ball when needed.

6-5 center in the women’s game getting 4 rebounds a contest? Strange, you would think that number would be higher.
I agree....here's the facts...she's a big woman and won't lead a fast break. Let's be honest, she lumbers up and down the court so she isn't always in a good position to rebound. Frankly, she needs to get in shape and only played on average a half of a game. She's also been in and out of favor with all of her coaches including Kim Mulkey who she followed from Baylor to LSU and she's been suspended at multiple schools including LSU. So, she comes with baggage. But if she decides that she wants to be a leader, puts in the work and is positive, she could be a "great" pickup. Only time will tell us that. It's why I referred to her only as a "big" pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: PositYourself
The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 18 games this season. A former 5-star recruit, he was expected to play a big role in SU’s 2023-24 season, but his career here stalled and then abruptly ended.

At his best, Williams is an athletic forward who can run the floor, finish in transition and rebound the ball. His passing skills this season were underrated. He shot the ball well from the 3-point line his sophomore season, but struggled to make those shots this year.

At UCF, he will try to rejuvenate his career in fresh surroundings. Williams will play for Washington, D.C. native Johnny Dawkins, the former Duke star and assistant coach who will be in his eighth season as head coach of the Knights.

The 6-foot-9 forward averaged 5.4 points and 3.9 rebounds in 18 games this season. A former 5-star recruit, he was expected to play a big role in SU’s 2023-24 season, but his career here stalled and then abruptly ended.

At his best, Williams is an athletic forward who can run the floor, finish in transition and rebound the ball. His passing skills this season were underrated. He shot the ball well from the 3-point line his sophomore season, but struggled to make those shots this year.

At UCF, he will try to rejuvenate his career in fresh surroundings. Williams will play for Washington, D.C. native Johnny Dawkins, the former Duke star and assistant coach who will be in his eighth season as head coach of the Knights.
Could help us or not...depends on whether Johnny can get the guy to buy in.....we'll see but just as with the "big" get for WBB, this is a "big" get for MBB who comes with baggage.

Wish CJ Walker the best of luck. Unfortunately, he is dinged-up most of the time. He can be replaced by somebody contributing on the court, though, so that’s a bonus overall.

Kids in the portal to “court” isn’t going to be a problem. Tons of talent out there to get.
You can't make this stuff up...CJ committed to TCU last week and decommitted from TCU today.

• Haha
Reactions: Knightmare13
You can't make this stuff up...CJ committed to TCU last week and decommitted from TCU today.
His problem is health. If he’s healthy, he gets minutes if he’s not healthy, he doesn’t get minutes. Pretty simple. he should actually stay here for minutes. If he goes to TCU and has a problem early on, he will never recover from that and never see the floor

His problem is health. If he’s healthy, he gets minutes if he’s not healthy, he doesn’t get minutes. Pretty simple. he should actually stay here for minutes. If he goes to TCU and has a problem early on, he will never recover from that and never see the floor
He isn’t going to TCU. He reneged. He isn’t great when he is healthy.

I agree, he should want to stay here....by the end of the season he was a solid starter, had a very good game against Houston and averaged double digits in the B12 tourney. The question is do we want him back after he left us for the portal and missed the NIT game because of "injury"?

Reactions: connerito
I agree, he should want to stay here....by the end of the season he was a solid starter, had a very good game against Houston and averaged double digits in the B12 tourney. The question is do we want him back after he left us for the portal and missed the NIT game because of "injury"?
Yes.
He’s a solid player when he plays (isn’t hurt). Good defensively, rebounds, passes to open guys and can score some points at times. Solid contributor. He’s like a good 6th man role.

Reactions: connerito
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT