ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Gus, Start Calling Portal QBs

JRP gets hurt (again) in the first couple of weeks and our inaugural Big XII season is going to be the most painful season we’ve endured! Unless…someone comes off the bench that’s actually a QB and our WRs start getting some catchable passes, the OL blocking gets better because they have a QB that doesn’t immediately bail from the pocket, and the RBs start putting up the numbers we knew they could because the opposing Ds actually respect our passing game! Just imagine! Seriously, I’d never want JRP to get hurt (again) but he won‘t bring that vision to life.
2015, 2008, 2006, and 2004 take issue with you indicating a 4-8 team next season in the Big 12 would be the most painful season endured. It’s year one. Next year is just a big learning year. It is going to point out all our current strengths and weaknesses. Much needed so we know where time, effort and money need to be spent.

For context, Utah went 8-5 (4-5) in year one of PAC-12 play. They were 10-3 the year before that.

TCU went 7-6 (4-5) in year one of Big 12 play. They were 11-2 the year before that.

2015, 2008, 2006, and 2004 take issue with you indicating a 4-8 team next season in the Big 12 would be the most painful season endured. It’s year one. Next year is just a big learning year. It is going to point out all our current strengths and weaknesses. Much needed so we know where time, effort and money need to be spent.

For context, Utah went 8-5 (4-5) in year one of PAC-12 play. They were 10-3 the year before that.

TCU went 7-6 (4-5) in year one of Big 12 play. They were 11-2 the year before that.
I would be beyond happy for that same story to be true for us. You believe this team can duplicate Utah and TCU’s success in year 1?My entire observation is based upon our coach trusting our offense to a player that isn’t willing to put football first in order to be the best he can, for his team and himself. Did either of those teams start a qb that skipped spring practice to play baseball? I also question why Gus wouldn’t pursue any other QBs if for no other reason than to increase competition and bring out the best player. I bet everyone on those teams did everything possible to become the best. JRP and Gus aren’t doing that. I also made no prediction. I think the chance for embarassment would come from being dominated weekly on national television after all of the noise and chest thumping we’ve done the last few years about how we belong In the P5. The previous years you mentioned were extremely painful as a fan but we weren’t in a position where we’d been demanding to be respected and had a national audience watching us. Maybe Gus has some incredible secret plan but outwardly, it seems Fickle, et al are doing a better job at prepping for the step up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaes
You bring in as many quality QBs as you can every year, and you let God sort them out. The portal dictates this.
This is what P5 teams are doing, as I pointed out earlier.

Although maybe let a good QB coach do the sorting.....I hear God is more of a defense oriented being.

Reactions: mattropolis

From a momentum and who we want to be standpoint, next year is more important than the above except for 2015.

I would be beyond happy for that same story to be true for us. You believe this team can duplicate Utah and TCU’s success in year 1?My entire observation is based upon our coach trusting our offense to a player that isn’t willing to put football first in order to be the best he can, for his team and himself. Did either of those teams start a qb that skipped spring practice to play baseball? I also question why Gus wouldn’t pursue any other QBs if for no other reason than to increase competition and bring out the best player. I bet everyone on those teams did everything possible to become the best. JRP and Gus aren’t doing that. I also made no prediction. I think the chance for embarassment would come from being dominated weekly on national television after all of the noise and chest thumping we’ve done the last few years about how we belong In the P5. The previous years you mentioned were extremely painful as a fan but we weren’t in a position where we’d been demanding to be respected and had a national audience watching us. Maybe Gus has some incredible secret plan but outwardly, it seems Fickle, et al are doing a better job at prepping for the step up.
I would ask the same question about Utah and TCU? Were they "Respected" when they entered their P5 conferences? Answer: It no longer mattered. They are getting paid. They are competing. So will we. We're not coming off 10-3 and 11-2 seasons but we weren't that far behind that (and played for a conference title), and that's with the QB position being questionable. It is what it is. Gus is our coach. He and his staff are going to recruit, they are going to make decisions, and we'll see what shakes out.

You get dominated, then you get dominated. You adapt as a program. I feel confident in our athletics program to do what is necessary because we have been doing that since 2004. Fickell is at Wisconsin now. I may have a short memory but last season we beat Cincy and played for the conference title. How did they "prepare better" for the transition? BYU was 8-5, Houston was 8-5. How did they "prepare better"? Plus, we haven't actually transitioned yet. We have to play next season and see how it shakes out. It's not every day teams move between conferences, and step-up in weekly competition. Next season is the real "transition" season.

Relevant to this discussion, the way Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU are preparing better is that all 3 are not sitting pat with the QBs that are already on the team. Houston and Cincinnati are both adding 2 additional QBs and BYU is adding 3. All 3 worked the portal as well as recruiting from the HS ranks. Gus did nothing. Our QB situation most definitely has not improved and our designated starter surely won’t improve over the spring. This is my point. Our entire season’s success rests on the play of our QB and our starter is very inconsistent and prone to injury. We’re thin in the QB position yet Gus sees no reason to bring in additional talent.

They didn’t have success in year 1. I think that’s what his point is.

Actually, I think we’d all be very happy going to a bowl our first year in the Big XII, just like Utah did in their 1st year (2010) in the PAC 12 against Boise State. The results weren’t good but they went to a bowl in year 1. Same with TCU joining the Big XII in 2012 and finishing the year with a 1 pt loss to Michigan State in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl. I beg to differ; I believe both schools would have felt that was a pretty good start for the first year in a new conference.

Sanders has selected Ole Miss, so now they have added 2 transfers at the most important position in team sports. Great move for Kiffin, 1 young guy with lots of potential, 1 very experienced one year guy.

Relevant to this discussion, the way Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU are preparing better is that all 3 are not sitting pat with the QBs that are already on the team. Houston and Cincinnati are both adding 2 additional QBs and BYU is adding 3. All 3 worked the portal as well as recruiting from the HS ranks. Gus did nothing. Our QB situation most definitely has not improved and our designated starter surely won’t improve over the spring. This is my point. Our entire season’s success rests on the play of our QB and our starter is very inconsistent and prone to injury. We’re thin in the QB position yet Gus sees no reason to bring in additional talent.
So you're saying they are "preparing better" because you perceive they are "doing more" for the QB position...by the way UCFs record last season was better than all 3 of the other teams. What about running backs? TEs? OL? DL? LB? DBs? Special Teams? Recruiting? Transfer Portal? Support staff? assistant coaches? Strength and Conditioning? Have you broken that all down as well?

Which of the four schools is "preparing better" in each of these aspects?

While 99% of the time Lobotomy Cane goes Full Retard, he isn’t wrong here. I would put our QB room as 4th (out of 4) based on all the questions and unknowns. Even usf has a better QB room, and that is very painful to admit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT