ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 12 schools meeting with BIG 12?

It’s the Athletic, not the Atlantic. And it’s behind a paywall for a reason. Writers have to make a living too.
It's not behind a paywall for me for some reason so I'll continue sharing the ATHLETIC. But thanks for your keen insight.

Right now it's an arms race between Fox/BIG10 and ABC/SEC. The top ACC programs is the most attractive. If SEC is able to acquire them, B10 responds taking the best out of PAC12/B12/ACC leftovers.

ACC chick is hot

For the report above that, don’t think the conference should go to 22 teams so quick.....it will be a mess.

I would say no thanks to Colorado and Miami at a minimum
Agreed, sounds like a logistical disaster. Plus just grouping in all the programs that neither Fox or ABC deemed valuable enough for the Big 2 will not guarantee more money for everyone, more likely diluted payouts with higher travel expenses. No conference is adding teams unless they get confirmation it will get them an increase in TV Revenue.

Also negotiating with a streaming service outside of FOX/ABC seems like a sure fire way to see the Big 2 break away.

So ESPN is trying to void a television deal with the ACC that is highly favorable to ESPN? So several teams can go to the SEC where they would then pay them more? Well that makes sense.
From what I have seen, which doesn't mean much, because everyone is grasping at straws to try to get the scoop. Looking at this from the two big media outlets ESPN, and FOXS Sports. This the true battle on college football expansion, which comes down to dollars.
Fox Sports is not going to negotiate with the Pac 12, so they are looking at ESPN to save them. I assume that's what started the ACC network buzz on bringing in the Pac 12. It appears FOX Sports is setting their future sights on the Big 10 and possibly the Big 12.

Your lousy takes on this board are getting shellacked
So looking back here are some options:

December 2000 vs #8 Virginia Tech we lost 44-21 (also lost worse to them in 2001). Not quite 22 years

1999 we lost badly to Florida, Georgia Tech and Purdue. Only Purdue would make sense of these teams because we've beaten the others since but Purdue hasn't been particularly good since the early 2000s.

1998 only big loss was Purdue again

1997 only big losses were to Nebraska (14 points) and Auburn.

I can only assume that they are a hold over Nebraska fan. Purdue and Virginia Tech are possibilities but seem less likely. Also weird to brag about beating on a brand new to FBS school that was independent at the time.

Reactions: beelit47

December 2000 vs #8 Virginia Tech we lost 44-21 (also lost worse to them in 2001). Not quite 22 years

1999 we lost badly to Florida, Georgia Tech and Purdue. Only Purdue would make sense of these teams because we've beaten the others since but Purdue hasn't been particularly good since the early 2000s.

I can only assume that they are a hold over Nebraska fan. Purdue and Virginia Tech are possibilities but seem less likely. Also weird to brag about beating on a brand new to FBS school that was independent at the time.
Also would be a weird brag considering they won the national championship that year, and no one thought we could play them that close. I doubt they are a Nebraska fan.

I doubt Nebraska. He joined 10 years ago , before Frost came.

Agreed, sounds like a logistical disaster. Plus just grouping in all the programs that neither Fox or ABC deemed valuable enough for the Big 2 will not guarantee more money for everyone, more likely diluted payouts with higher travel expenses. No conference is adding teams unless they get confirmation it will get them an increase in TV Revenue.

Also negotiating with a streaming service outside of FOX/ABC seems like a sure fire way to see the Big 2 break away.
I have seen several articles where Apple has reached out to the big ten regarding reentry of negotiations over media rights after the news of the addition of the LA schools.

FWIW

It doesn't matter....this buffoon has never spent a day in a college classroom.

If fact, pretty sure he didn't even see this epic beatdown.....he was too busy making fries for the after game crowd.

A lot of pundits are saying the Pac 12 is done. The future of the Pac 12 is all over the radar. I don't think the commissioner Kliavkoff will be giving up his new job. Assuming the Big 12 is successful taking 6 teams from the Pac. The Pac will counter and bring in Boise State, Fresno state, San Diego State, and SMU. I guess that would make them the new Big Dog of G4?? I don't see them going EAST to replace schools sorry USF. They would need two more teams. I wonder if Memphis would be on their radar.

…just grouping in all the programs that neither Fox or ABC deemed valuable enough for the Big 2 will not guarantee more money for everyone, more likely diluted payouts with higher travel expenses. No conference is adding teams unless they get confirmation it will get them an increase in TV Revenue.

The Big Ten’s ‘personality’ is such that it is happy now as is and is not inclined to be an aggressor when it comes to further expansion. It will certainly welcome Notre Dame with open arms but it could very well stop there unless a program like Stanford leverages it’s rivalry with ND and it’s reputation as an academic elite to garner a buddy invite ala UCLA.

From an academic perspective (always an important consideration when looking at the B1G), North Carolina and Virginia are still viable depending upon the additional $$$ a new playoff format would bring to each conference. But the B1G is hardwired to stand pat unless pushed.

I get the historical value of FSU but are they really that attractive over the next 50 years? If it weren’t for ESPN pimping them out at every opportunity, how much would anyone care about FSU?
TBH you could say that about 50% of the current “P5” schools as they sit today. Is Miami that attractive with zero fans and an NFL stadium 30 miles from campus? It’s all who ESPN wants to pimp that counts

I get the historical value of FSU but are they really that attractive over the next 50 years? If it weren’t for ESPN pimping them out at every opportunity, how much would anyone care about FSU?
I have to smile at FSU's perceived 'historical value.' Back in the 1980s, FSU was 'the UCF of its time' before it joined the ACC in 1992 similar to the Knights prior to their Big XII invite. But that was all due to Bobby Bowden followed by Jimbo Fisher. You could argue that when Jimbo left, so did Florida State's street cred as a national power

I'm not saying that FSU won't find a home in the SEC, but the University of Florida already gives the conference a strong presence in the State. So given the program's dismal performance of late, what does the SEC gain by inviting Florida State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT