ADVERTISEMENT

Should Addison Williams be fired?

Knightgatorz

Three-Star Recruit
Nov 25, 2023
I have a gut feeling that Gus is going to be a giant puss and not make any changes to the staff. We should have heard SOMETHING by now. A glimmer, a flare something. Yet no one in the know seems to be talking about Addison being fired or gibbs or sims. This could be a disaster if we return Addison as dc in my opinion.

But does anyone else think he should be or would you give him another year?

Something needs to happen....I thought we were facing Barry Sanders every week in different uniforms. I think we should keep Sims & Gibbs.

I'm OK with keeping Williams as long as we could bring in a senior guy with a proven track record as an analyst to help him. I think schemes were our biggest issue

Reactions: knightraveler
I have a gut feeling that Gus is going to be a giant puss and not make any changes to the staff. We should have heard SOMETHING by now. A glimmer, a flare something. Yet no one in the know seems to be talking about Addison being fired or gibbs or sims. This could be a disaster if we return Addison as dc in my opinion.

But does anyone else think he should be or would you give him another year?
"Why hasn't Addison Williams already been fired?"

Gary Patterson is still in play.

Scratch off Leonhard. He is waiting on head coaching gig.

Realistic candidates are Patterson, Zach Arnett, Tom Allen, Joe Harasymiak, Trent Bray, and Tony White.

Last edited:
I really didn’t know where to post this but Addison was a secondary coach right? Kind of sucks Newt is blasting UCF on socials, wtf…

I would love to have the actual context of the conversation he is referring to. Kind of reminds me of my kids and how they recall conversations, missing key facts and out of context. Just so it can fit their current feelings....

• Haha
Reactions: FoxKnight
Something needs to happen....I thought we were facing Barry Sanders every week in different uniforms. I think we should keep Sims & Gibbs.

I'm OK with keeping Williams as long as we could bring in a senior guy with a proven track record as an analyst to help him. I think schemes were our biggest issue
Williams may turn into a good coach one day but that day is not now. It seemed to me that our defense was always tackling from behind which helps the runner get many more yards. We don't have enough depth, size and speed imo. An average coach can win with great talent and a great coach can win with average talent. An over simplification to be sure but also some truth in it.

So Addison is staying as DC?
Probably won't know for sure till announces staff changes. Contract year runs out Jan. 31. I would not expect any news until portal signings are completed this weekend

Reading the tea leaves UCF signed nine defensive backs. The number of signees suggests Gus is giving David Gibbs (the "real" DC) an additional season and whatever latitude Gibbs requires to correct the defensive woes.

However, if Gus led Gibbs and Addison Williams to believe they were returning in order to make then recruit their hearts out only to fire their azzes the moment every prep and portal transfer was signed and enrolled, it would be the most "Saban-esce" move ever and Gus would be LEGENDARY, especially if he brought in Gary Patterson as DC to coach them.

were not worthy waynes world GIF

Probably won't know for sure till announces staff changes. Contract year runs out Jan. 31. I would not expect any news until portal signings are completed this weekend

Reading the tea leaves UCF signed nine defensive backs. The number of signees suggests Gus is giving David Gibbs (the "real" DC) an additional season and whatever latitude Gibbs requires to correct the defensive woes.

However, if Gus led Gibbs and Addison Williams to believe they were returning in order to make then recruit their hearts out only to fire their azzes the moment every prep and portal transfer was signed and enrolled, it would be the most "Saban-esce" move ever and Gus would be LEGENDARY, especially if he brought in Gary Patterson as DC to coach them.

were not worthy waynes world GIF
Damn u called it lol

Basically keeping him for recruiting

Damn u called it lol

First blush is Ouch....man oh man, what a retread...this guy was our DC in 2011 (the first losing season for us in a number of years) and has been at about 50 different stops. His record speaks for itself...he's never accomplished anything of significance and his record as HC at Duke was 6-45. He's one of the "boys" who's been around for a long time. I hope he does better this time around but really Gus, you can't do better than this?

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Damn u called it lol

I didn't see the Ted Roof hire coming. Very interesting.

UCF now has two former Auburn defensive coordinators, as well as both of its 2010 National Championship-winning coordinators (Gus and Ted), on the same staff. (Might as well add Chizik as a defensive analyst. Lol)

I guess Roof came cheaper and was a safer hire than Patterson considering Patterson was wishy-washy and non-committal during his recent time at Texas and a threat to replace Gus at UCF moving forward.

An interesting note ... Roof's turnover-generating, attacking style defense meshes perfectly with what UCF has been building through the portal.

Roof essentially will be the linebackers coach/run-game coordinator and Addison Williams and David Gibbs are the passing game coordinators--provided Gibbs' contract is renewed AND he chooses to stay.

Somebody has to go: Ernie Sims or Gibbs or else Kenny Ingram has to be moved to an off-the-field position where he belongs.

Last edited:
Oh damn, not Roof again…..he was our DC for like a week and left us high and dry

There had to be better options…..
It is a great hire considering all the factors that must be weighed.

Money, Familiarity, Scheme, Fit, etc

It is a great hire considering all the factors that must be weighed.

Money, Familiarity, Scheme, Fit, etc
How much money? Familiarity, Scheme, Fit, etc.? This guy's been around so long of course he's familiar with anything and everything. The problem is he's the master of nothing. Face it, he's just another good ole boy. And obviously, just the kind Gus wants.

How much money? Familiarity, Scheme, Fit, etc.? This guy's been around so long of course he's familiar with anything and everything. The problem is he's the master of nothing. Face it, he's just another good ole boy. And obviously, just the kind Gus wants.
Money--He was unemployed and will require the low end of fair market value, perhaps sub $1 million (at least $200k+ less than the $1.15 million he was making at Chokelahoma).

Familiarity--He had worked with Gus and at UCF. He understands the culture.

Scheme--His squads produce turnovers, which this UCF defense desperately needs. He likes a pressure, penetrating frontm With KJ under center, Gus will want the ball back as quickly and as often as possible.

Fit--Had Gary Patterson been the pick, UCF would have had to fire half the defensive staff to bring in Patterson guys. With Roof, the Knights can keep the current staff in place for recruiting purposes and not have to worry about kids jumping in the portal in the spring.

Last edited:
"UCF has one position coach vacancy left to fill. Grant Heard will not return to the program as wide receivers coach, the News-Journal confirmed last week."

I think it is time for a WR Coaching Hotboard.

First blush is Ouch....man oh man, what a retread...this guy was our DC in 2011 (the first losing season for us in a number of years) and has been at about 50 different stops. His record speaks for itself...he's never accomplished anything of significance and his record as HC at Duke was 6-45. He's one of the "boys" who's been around for a long time. I hope he does better this time around but really Gus, you can't do better than this?
he was our DC for like a month in December 2011, not a whole season. 2011 doesn't have anything to do with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT