ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Exits

This portal game is wild, that's for sure. Add and subtract, hope we come out on top.

Not surprised about Thomas. Exactly what I thought would happen. We bungled his redshirt status, he doesn’t get a fair shot to compete for the starting job in the spring as it seems pretty clear that JRP is being made the face of the team, and poof, he gone.
Then why did he say at the spring game presser say, "I hope to be QB1, if I'm not it's okay, I'm the future of this place".

Either that was a false statement or, something happened between now and that statement.

Then why did he say at the spring game presser say, "I hope to be QB1, if I'm not it's okay, I'm the future of this place".

Either that was a false statement or, something happened between now and that statement.

Players are going to say what people want to hear, and I would bet that it's coached by the program. Keene did the same thing.

Best news since NSD!

Good riddance to the chick eaters.

Mr Bean Eating GIF

But before you go, please take... https://ucfknights.com/sports/football/roster/patrick-barnett/13869

Thomas Castellanos was never going to be anything but a running back at UCF. I applaud Gus for having the guts to be honest with the kid. Now UCF has a roster spot to take a real difference maker at the quarterback position, who will allow UCF to compete for a Big 12 title in 2023. This is the final season quarterbacks can transfer anywhere any amount of times without having to sit out. I am glad to see Gus taking advantage of it. Give me anybody the caliber of Mikey Keene or better.

Ethan Mort is not a Power 5 player. If he cannot break the lineup this year at UCF, he never will. UCF lost three starters, and Mort didn't put a dent in the two deep.

Keahnist Thompson (next to Quan Lee) is the most overrated player Gus has signed. UCF was paper thin at defensive end last season and didn't consider ripping off his redshirt. That speaks volumes.

Moving forward, UCF has a chance to sign a quality offensive lineman, who can play multiple positions (Ethan White, Caleb Johnson-ND, or Michael Wykoff); a versatile defensive lineman (Jeffrey M'ba-type); a couple of quality linebackers (Jaheim Thomas, Jurriente Davis, or TBD); and a safety, who can actually cover.

And of course....

A Championship-caliber dual threat quarterback...

uat, ole piss, gawja, a ohio state university, nebraska, and Rkansas -- all eyes on you!

licking bbc GIF by Top Gear

P.S. I wish the outgoing transfers the very best and, in all seriousness, take Patrick Burnett.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boston.Knight
A lot of competition in QB room and more coming in. I'm surprised we don't have more OL transfer out.

Dang, I liked TC and thought he would do great things starting next year or even this year if JRP got injured (highly possible). That said, he isn’t better than JRP, don’t know why he would have such hurt pride enough to enter the portal unless TMC won the QB2? I doubt that though, he hasn’t looked great, at least from the few clips shown or usage in the spring game. TCs RS was definitely bungled though, in epically bad proportions by Gus. That was his biggest mess up, even more than some of his play calling.

Keahnist Thompson is a shocker though. Man, he is just a R-Fr behind some super talented upperclassmen DE’s and he had so much promise. Kaven Call seems to be that guy and maybe Keahnist got beat out by the kid who should still be in HS, but still after this year that position is wide open. Doesn’t make sense, but hey that’s CFB in the NIL/Transfer Portal era.

Reactions: PhDee
Keahnist Thompson is a shocker though. Man, he is just a R-Fr behind some super talented upperclassmen DE’s and he had so much promise. Kaven Call seems to be that guy and maybe Keahnist got beat out by the kid who should still be in HS, but still after this year that position is wide open. Doesn’t make sense, but hey that’s CFB in the NIL/Transfer Portal era.

SDE Josh Celiscar hardly left the field last year. Remember his 2021 backup Anthony Montalvo was inside to defensive tackle. Edge rusher Landon Woodson suffered a career-ending injury in fall camp. SDE Malachi Lawrence was lost for the season against South Carolina State. SDE Dallas Corbitt played in only six games. True freshman Jamaal Johnson ultimately took over as the backup at SDE hah the stretch.

Keahnist Thompson had every opportunity to break into the lineup. He couldn't do it.

I'm not real bothered by Tommy leaving. He is too small. Going forward, I'd like us to start using 6'2"+ type of men at QB. Tired of watching these 5'10" shrimpy kids running around (MM was an exception).

Blake Bortles looked like a man out there on that golf outing.
saw a pic of the QBs at the Spring game and I agree(about recruiting, not TC’s decision)..UCF has gone too long w undersized QBs. it is why they never stay healthy . Bortles was durable , even in the NFL

SDE Josh Celiscar hardly left the field last year. Remember his 2021 backup Anthony Montalvo was inside to defensive tackle. Edge rusher Landon Woodson suffered a career-ending injury in fall camp. SDE Malachi Lawrence was lost for the season against South Carolina State. SDE Dallas Corbitt played in only six games. True freshman Jamaal Johnson ultimately took over as the backup at SDE hah the stretch.

Keahnist Thompson had every opportunity to break into the lineup. He couldn't do it.
But you’re talking last year when he was a true freshman. This year, Celiscar is a Sr (who never left the field but is an easy injury away from doing so), Montalvo is out of eligibility and gone, Landon Woodson is gone or had a career ending injury (either way he’s not playing). Let me highlight again, HE WAS A TRUE FR. Who’s to say he couldn’t break into playing time as a R-Fr with the attrition in front of him? You failed to quote how I mentioned Kaven Call may have jumped him and also how Jamaal Johnson has also had a lot of mentions by the coaches.

And stop talking about chicken eaters. I love chicken, cook it many different ways that are all delicious. I can’t trust someone who doesn’t like to eat chicken.

Last edited:
But you’re talking last year when he was a true freshman. This year, Celiscar is a Sr (who never left the field but is an easy injury away from doing so), Montalvo is out of eligibility and gone, Landon Woodson is gone or had a career ending injury (either way he’s not playing). Let me highlight again, HE WAS A TRUE FR. Who’s to say he couldn’t break into playing time as a R-Fr with the attrition in front of him? You failed to quote how I mentioned Kaven Call may have jumped him and also how Jamaal Johnson has also had a lot of mentions by the coaches.

And stop talking about chicken eaters. I love chicken, cook it many different ways that are all delicious. I can’t trust someone who doesn’t like to eat chicken.
Call, like Woodson, is more of an edge than DE.

With all those DE guys out of the picture, you would think Thompson should made a move this past spring. He did not.

I also forget to mention that I have heard rumblings that Brandon Jennings was moved from linebacker to DE.

So the post-spring depth chart at DE could have been Celiscar/Lawrence/Johnson/Jennings (potentially) with Thompson nowhere in sight prior to transfer.

Lastly, it is very unGus-like to cut a player, so Thompson must have had to have zero chance of stepping on the field.

Last edited:

A better question might be why does anyone actually listen to pressers? You rarely get reality, just the same thing every player/coach from every team says.

Welp, good luck to all those leaving…..if it is like previous seasons, most will just be depth guys or less at their destinations…..Flash somebody or other anyone?

Reactions: FoxKnight
This is where *hopefully* Gus taking on more of a CEO role helps out. Instead of being completely responsible for the offensive meetings and such he can be managing portal losses and gains with more intense focus before and during the portal openings.

A lot of competition in QB room and more coming in. I'm surprised we don't have more OL transfer out.
Who exactly do we have coming in? Better be someone good because once JRP goes out injured we’ll only have one QB with any college experience. And, unfortunately, I do think JRP will get injured again this year due to his style of play and the significant jump in weekly competition. Add to this we now have a totally unproven OC and it doesn’t build a lot of confidence for our entry to the Big XII.

I'm not real bothered by Tommy leaving. He is too small. Going forward, I'd like us to start using 6'2"+ type of men at QB. Tired of watching these 5'10" shrimpy kids running around (MM was an exception).

Blake Bortles looked like a man out there on that golf outing.
The list of successful college QBs that are 5’10 or shorter is very long. A competent coach and surrounding talent are more important to a QB than height.

Given two equal athletes if different heights, the taller one is preferred. However, the mental makeup of a QB outshines height. I’m not sure I’m making a fair argument. I’ve created a bit of a strawman of what you said. I just wanted to make that point.

Not surprised about Thomas. Exactly what I thought would happen. We bungled his redshirt status, he doesn’t get a fair shot to compete for the starting job in the spring as it seems pretty clear that JRP is being made the face of the team, and poof, he gone.
And Timmy is much better than tommy

The list of successful college QBs that are 5’10 or shorter is very long. A competent coach and surrounding talent are more important to a QB than height.

Given two equal athletes if different heights, the taller one is preferred. However, the mental makeup of a QB outshines height. I’m not sure I’m making a fair argument. I’ve created a bit of a strawman of what you said. I just wanted to make that point.
Like an offensive line

Reactions: Knight59
Who exactly do we have coming in? Better be someone good because once JRP goes out injured we’ll only have one QB with any college experience. And, unfortunately, I do think JRP will get injured again this year due to his style of play and the significant jump in weekly competition. Add to this we now have a totally unproven OC and it doesn’t build a lot of confidence for our entry to the Big XII.
Timmy from usf unless we get a transfer

We’re having a lot of guys bailing but not seeing anybody coming in…..🫤
I mean, they already added grad transfer Decorian Patterson last week (MTSU, led nation with 7 INTs last season) to bolster depth in the defensive backfield. I know the portal wasn’t technically open at that point, but I think that was a pretty good start to the post-Spring roster additions.

Reactions: Knight59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT