ADVERTISEMENT

The Coronavirus thread - 3/30 Trump accuses NY hospital workers of stealing PPE.

Comparing this to the plague of the 14th century and the 1918 Spanish Flu is irresponsible. Idiotic really

Before it WOULD GET ANYWHERE NEAR THAT, we would all be on a major lockdown

Medical care, technology and communication have evolved so far past that it’s ridiculous. Some of you people really are panic driven and underestimate our evolution
Give me a number.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Comparing this to the plague of the 14th century and the 1918 Spanish Flu is irresponsible. Idiotic really

Before it WOULD GET ANYWHERE NEAR THAT, we would all be on a major lockdown

Medical care, technology and communication have evolved so far past that it’s ridiculous. Some of you people really are panic driven and underestimate our evolution

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...4-million-americans-infected-17-million-dead/

According the Times, the CDC projected that 2.4 million to 21 million people in the US could end up in the hospital, overwhelming emergency wards and ICUs. The number of deaths in some models ranged from 200,000 to 1.7 million. The fatality rate of the virus is estimated as high as 3.5% by the World Health Organization.

A worse case scenario is 1.7 million dead in America alone. Yes, that is worse case scenario, but that's why we have to be responsible now so it doesnt get to that.

It's funny because its total hyperbole. You're comparing a virus from 1918, when medical technology still relied on blood-letting to a virus in 2020 when we have vastly superior treatment and remedy for disease. You may as well compare this to the bubonic plague and say that 3/4ths of the world's population is going to die and that we will have to move underground like some apocalyptic movie that you watched in 1992. Its stupid and panic driven.
What is hyperbole? There are estimates that millions could die. It is unlikely to be 50 million I agree with that.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...4-million-americans-infected-17-million-dead/

According the Times, the CDC projected that 2.4 million to 21 million people in the US could end up in the hospital, overwhelming emergency wards and ICUs. The number of deaths in some models ranged from 200,000 to 1.7 million. The fatality rate of the virus is estimated as high as 3.5% by the World Health Organization.

A worse case scenario is 1.7 million dead in America alone. Yes, that is worse case scenario, but that's why we have to be responsible now so it doesnt get to that.
Exactly. 1.7 million Americans, 3x the number that died in the civil war. 4x the deaths in WW2.

Millions can die from the Corona virus? You can't be serious?
could die? Sure. Even if the mortality rate is say .005 (lower than current estimates), if 3% of the world population became infected (lower than current estimates) then a million people would die.

Yes, that is worse case scenario, but that's why we have to be responsible now so it doesnt get to that.
Not denying this. If we are irresponsible, this COULD get bad. I have no reason to believe that we will be irresponsible. In the past pandemics, people simply did not know enough about the spread of disease. Communication and medical care was lacking

Not denying this. If we are irresponsible, this COULD get bad. I have no reason to believe that we will be irresponsible. In the past pandemics, people simply did not know enough about the spread of disease. Communication and medical care was lacking
Even though we know more, people still don't wash their hands.

I wish I was as optimistic.

I can't count the number of people I heard start asking what the hell this virus thing was all about--after March Madness was cancelled.

Reactions: Ucfmikes

You have more faith in people than I do. Did you see pictures of Bourbon St, Lower Broadway in Nashville, Ft Lauderdale spring breakers, etc etc over the weekend? They were all packed and the words "social distancing" clearly didn't exist in those people's heads.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
You have more faith in people than I do. Did you see pictures of Bourbon St, Lower Broadway in Nashville, Ft Lauderdale spring breakers, etc etc over the weekend? They were all packed and the words "social distancing" clearly didn't exist in those people's heads.
And those groups of people won’t get the benefits that modern times is offering

luckily for them, it’s not very deadly for the young

However, they are putting elderly contacts at risk.

Even without access to testing our numbers are 10% ahead of Italy's pace.

They are now having 600 deaths a day and have been in total lockdown for a week. That is our future except we are probably worse because we've taken no quarantine actions and we haven't been testing. We'll see 1000 deaths per day in a matter of weeks.

And those groups of people won’t get the benefits that modern times is offering

luckily for them, it’s not very deadly for the young

However, they are putting elderly contacts at risk.

They are putting everyone at risk. I also think we need to get away from the idea it isn't very harmful to young people. Certainly vulnerable people are more at risk to actually die, but keep in mind this virus is new and is still being studied. Some younger people who get it they now think could end up with substantial damage to their lungs. Here is a story about a 45 year old in Louisiana who is currently on a ventilator.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_35531ff4-66d9-11ea-95b0-7797f71d169a.html

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Even without access to testing our numbers are 10% ahead of Italy's pace.

They are now having 600 deaths a day and have been in total lockdown for a week. That is our future except we are probably worse because we've taken no quarantine actions and we haven't been testing. We'll see 1000 deaths per day in a matter of weeks.

I hope you are wrong, but have a suspicion you are right.

If you want an example of how Trump is making this worse let's looks at the CDCs most recent warning.

"No gatherings of 50 or more people for next 8 weeks."

Most airplanes seat more than 50. Air travel should be suspended. They won't do it for another few days or weeks by the time act tens of thousands more will be hit.

Everything we need to do is hard and Trump is unwilling to do anything hard until it's too late.

If you want an example of how Trump is making this worse let's looks at the CDCs most recent warning.

"No gatherings of 50 or more people for next 8 weeks."

Most airplanes seat more than 50. Air travel should be suspended. They won't do it for another few days or weeks by the time act tens of thousands more will be hit.

Everything we need to do is hard and Trump is unwilling to do anything hard until it's too late.

The air travel thing should be a given. I would like to know because I'm booked for Hawaii next week.

No fooling. The pictures I saw yesterday of the huge crowds attempting to go through customs at our major airports was appalling.

Everything about the Administration's response to this thing has been schizophrenic because Trump is more concerned about his reelection than he is the virus.

No fooling. The pictures I saw yesterday of the huge crowds attempting to go through customs at our major airports was appalling.

Everything about the Administration's response to this thing has been schizophrenic because Trump is more concerned about his reelection than he is the virus.

That made my skin crawl.

Reactions: NinjaKnight

Which country has handled this the best?

We are following their model other than we are shutting down international travel to affected countries.
Dawg. They test 20k every day. Go to Google, type South Korea coronavirus, click images. Tell me that looks like the response you see in your daily life.

Reactions: DaShuckster
We are following their model other than we are shutting down international travel to affected countries.
This is another example of the schizophrenic response of the Trump Administration. On one hand, we're told to limit public gatherings to 50 or less and on the other hand, we're not shutting down all commercial air travel??!?

What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:
Do tell, how is their approach different than ours?

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lessons-america-how-south-korean-authorities-used-law-fight-coronavirus
Emergency texts from the government alerting citizens of nearby cases of coronavirus infection. A government-mandated GPS-tracking app designed to monitor and punish people who break quarantine. Public government reports detailing the whereabouts of every single confirmed patient—down to which theater seat they sat in, which plastic surgery clinic they visited and even where they got their lingerie.

That is just from the first paragraph, we have done none of those things. We have news reports when a case pops up, but certainly nothing to the extent of S. Korea.

Plus,
The Koreans continue to test on average 12,000 people per day, while as of March 15, the United States had tested 22,714 people total

So do tell, why do you think our approach has been similar to theirs?

Are you kidding me??!?

The Government's initial testing kit roll out was flawed and produced erroneous results. Oops. So after the reboot, the number of testing kits that have been made available here in the US is minuscule when compared to the demand for them.

Then you have our Blowhard Doctor-in-Chief proclaiming that the World Health Organization is 'wrong' regarding its corona virus numbers based on "his hunch." WTF???

And you all wonder why Wall Street is tanking.
This administration is a clown car. What a joke.

The US now has more active cases reported than China.
Novel Coronavirus cases

Straight from Wikipedia:

Places Cases Deaths Recovered
China 80,928 3,245 70,420
Italy 41,035 3,405 4,440
Iran 18,407 1,284 5,979

United States 10,781 160 108

Novel Coronavirus cases

Straight from Wikipedia:

Places Cases Deaths Recovered
China 80,928 3,245 70,420
Italy 41,035 3,405 4,440
Iran 18,407 1,284 5,979

United States 10,781 160 108

Wrong 200 million are dying in the United States alone. ;)

To be honest, the idea that only 80k people in China came down with this is totally bogus. It first exploded in Wuhan, a city of almost 12 million people. It's bigger than Chicago. Have you seen pictures of Wuhan? It's nothing but tall buildings...people literally on top of each other. When people talk about the "mortality rate" being around a high 2-3% rate, how many of the residents of Wuhan never actually sought out medical treatment for Corona? How many just stayed home? Those people were never counted in the "cases" statistic. The numbers of cases should be 5-10 times higher just based on the size of the city. That would put the mortality rate down way below 0.5%.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT