ADVERTISEMENT

The future of Gus Malzahn and of UCF football

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
I placed the word "of" in front of Malzahn and UCF for a reason. It is foggy whether the two are committed long term.

(A) The last two UCF head coaches spent only a brief time in Orlando before moving to other programs; one obviously more successful than the other. (Gus currently has the lowest winning percentage of three at UCF. It is noteworthy that programs in the AAC improved dramatically in the last half decade, and it is arguable that Gus faced the toughest competition of the three during his time at UCF.)

(B) UCF is embarking on an incredible journey to the Power 5 where depth is tested over the course of a season. UCF is strong at several positions and serviceable at others heading into the 2023 season. Post 2023, watch out.

(C) The transfer portal has been a boon for UCF, which, since Jan. 2021, has brought in 31 transfers, 12 likely run out of eligibility in 2023 with seven more in 2024. Eight had three years of experience, but two of those transferred out.

(D) Gus has relied so heavily on the portal that he has signed just 28 high school players--three are no longer with the program. Several high school signees are expected to play as true freshmen in 2023.

(E) NIL has been an obvious crutch. UCF lost four team leaders at four different positions due to financial constraints. UCF lost two high profile transfer commits to bigger purses.

(F) Gus Malzahn's buyout has dropped to $3 million and will drop to $2 as of Dec. 31, 2023.

(G) The SEC is expanding to 16 teams in 2024. Four head coaches of note are currently listed as on the hot seat: Billy Napier (Florida), Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M Aggies), Ryan Day (Ohio State Buckeyes), Mario Cristobal 🤣 (Miami Hurricanes), Steve Sarkisian (Texas Longhorns), Neal Brown (West Virginia Mountaineers) and Brent Venables (Oklahoma Sooners). https://sports.yahoo.com/billy-napier-among-7-college-175905533.html

Given A,B, C, D, E, F, and G, it is conceivable that Gus is loading up on experienced veteran transfers (while simultaneously ignoring the underclass of the UCF roster) in order to make a statement in the Big 12 while having one foot out the door. I do not think UCF's 2023 success in the Big 12 will be sustainable given Gus's reliance on the transfer portal (C) and his lack of recruiting developmental high school players (D). (Keyon Cox is one of the few definitely slated for a redshirt. More than half of the class will play as true freshmen.) I also think Gus cannot compete with the upper echelon of college football for top recruits without real NIL money (E), which will be in abundance in the SEC.

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

EDIT: I have no idea what Gus is thinking, but if remains at UCF, he will have to strengthen the underclass of his roster. The most pressing need will be firing Grant Heard, who has accomplished nothing at UCF. I would rather Gus bring Darrell Wyatt back for third time than keep Heard on staff.

Last edited:
I remember finding it interesting that Malzahn's buyout was like 40% less than Heupel's. Back to back coaches leave UCF resulting in solid paydays for UCF. Malzahn who could easily get called back to SEC and Mohajir gave him favorable terms for leaving.

I placed the word "of" in front of Malzahn and UCF for a reason. It is foggy whether the two are committed long term.

(A) The last two UCF head coaches spent only a brief time in Orlando before moving to other programs; one obviously more successful than the other. (Gus currently has the lowest winning percentage of three at UCF. It is noteworthy that programs in the AAC improved dramatically in the last half decade, and it is arguable that Gus faced the toughest competition of the three during his time at UCF.)

(B) UCF is embarking on an incredible journey to the Power 5 where depth is tested over the course of a season. UCF is strong at several positions and serviceable at others heading into the 2023 season. Post 2023, watch out.

(C) The transfer portal has been a boon for UCF, which, since Jan. 2021, has brought in 31 transfers, 12 likely run out of eligibility in 2023 with seven more in 2024. Eight had three years of experience, but two of those transferred out.

(D) Gus has relied so heavily on the portal that he has signed just 28 high school players--three are no longer with the program. Several high school signees are expected to play as true freshmen in 2023.

(E) NIL has been an obvious crutch. UCF lost four team leaders at four different positions due to financial constraints. UCF lost two high profile transfer commits to bigger purses.

(F) Gus Malzahn's buyout has dropped to $3 million and will drop to $2 as of Dec. 31, 2023.

(G) The SEC is expanding to 16 teams in 2024. Four head coaches of note are currently listed as on the hot seat: Billy Napier (Florida), Jimbo Fisher (Texas A&M Aggies), Ryan Day (Ohio State Buckeyes), Mario Cristobal 🤣 (Miami Hurricanes), Steve Sarkisian (Texas Longhorns), Neal Brown (West Virginia Mountaineers) and Brent Venables (Oklahoma Sooners). https://sports.yahoo.com/billy-napier-among-7-college-175905533.html

Given A,B, C, D, E, F, and G, it is conceivable that Gus is loading up on experienced veteran transfers (while simultaneously ignoring the underclass of the UCF roster) in order to make a statement in the Big 12 while having one foot out the door. I do not think UCF's 2023 success in the Big 12 will be sustainable given Gus's reliance on the transfer portal (C) and his lack of recruiting developmental high school players (D). (Keyon Cox is one of the few definitely slated for a redshirt. More than half of the class will play as true freshmen.) I also think Gus cannot compete with the upper echelon of college football for top recruits without real NIL money (E), which will be in abundance in the SEC.

EDIT: I have no idea what Gus is thinking, but if remains at UCF, he will have to strengthen the underclass of his roster. The most pressing need will be firing Grant Heard, who has accomplished nothing at UCF. I would rather Gus bring Darrell Wyatt back for third time than keep Heard on staff.
Now u r firing coaches at UCF from an Auburn lens Heard has been here for a little time to accomplish or fail. Stupid statement.

Now u r firing coaches at UCF from an Auburn lens Heard has been here for a little time to accomplish or fail. Stupid statement.

Indictment No. 1, lost star slot receiver Ryan O'Keefe to Boston College.

Indictment No. 2, failed to sign UCF commitment Christian Leary.

Indictment No. 3, lost UCF recruit lean Lamar Seymore to Pittsburgh.

Indictment No. 4, failed to offer Texas transfer Jaden Alexis (South Florida) or uat receiver Tyler Harrell (Miami).

Indictment No. 5, his greatest achievements came while he was cheating.

Verdict: He gone.

Last edited:

It's clear that Gus understands the importance of the transfer portal and it's obvious that keeping his existing players (who contribute) and bringing in the best recruits and transfers possible (with the NIL challenges we face), to play immediately, are his top priorities. Give him credit, he recognized changes were necessary and he's handed over some offensive coaching responsibilities while he stays heads down working to get the program better positioned for our move to the B12 and more competitive in the new world of NIL money. There is little comparison between the environment that Frost and Heupel faced to what Gus is facing now. Gus has basically gotten a pass in his first two years, so this is the first really challenging year for him at UCF and he's put the success of the program in JRP's hands. He and JRP have got to get it done. It's all about winning.....

Last edited:
Give him credit, he recognized changes were necessary and he's handed over some offensive coaching responsibilities while he stays heads down working to get the program better positioned for our move to the B12 and more competitive in the new world of NIL money.

Until the season plays out, it's presumptuous to assume Malzahn has handed over the offense aside from talking about it in a press conference.

Just about everything that has been said in the press conferences from players and coaches in the last year is what people were hoping to hear. Then a few weeks or months later the opposite happens.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Until the season plays out, it's presumptuous to assume Malzahn has handed over the offense aside from talking about it in a press conference.

Just about everything that has been said in the press conferences from players and coaches in the last year is what people were hoping to hear. Then a few weeks or months later the opposite happens.
We'll see....it's all about winning.

Thanks for the info Aub Leg….it’s official we are staying in AAC for the foreseeable future. Thank goodness we didn’t take the route of increased resources for our University. Close call, if it wasn’t for your riveting insight we could have made a huge mistake with Gus at the helm. Knight Nation thanks you. Please continue to post your perspective so we can navigate our future with Gus. Go Knights!! Charge On!!! And in honor of Auburn insights…Hotty Toddy!!! Auburn is in Oxford isn’t it?? I always forgot!! Roll Tigers!!!!

The Malzon shill is back. Gus was fired from Auburn and has done nothing to make himself into a viable SEC HC candidate. He’s 3-6 in bowl games and has never won a NY6 game. Shill is talking about a $3M buyout dropping to $2M…as if a $3M buyout means anything to a P5 school even less to an SEC school.

Gross mismanagement of the UCF QB, unable to attack any viable QBs…even less develop them. Unable to recruit OL and surrounding himself with weak Yes Men.

“Loading up on transfers”. Lol…zero transfers brought in by Malhazan have been drafted and this year’s lot is the worst. 15 dudes and zero with a transfer rank above a three *. A #GusBus full of mid.

In 2022 UCF: 14 transfers with a 88.38 average - class rank 15. In 2023: 15 transfers with a 86.36 average - class rank #39. Malzon is struggling just like you.

Keep laughing clown.

Last edited:
Thanks for telling me all I need to know…appreciate all of your coaching wisdom and football insights. I sure hope we never have to settle anything on an actual football field…that would be overwhelming for Knight Nation.

Indictment No. 1, lost star slot receiver Ryan O'Keefe to Boston College.

Indictment No. 2, failed to sign UCF commitment Christian Leary.

Indictment No. 3, lost UCF recruit lean Lamar Seymore to Pittsburgh.

Indictment No. 4, failed to offer Texas transfer Jaden Alexis (South Florida) or uat receiver Tyler Harrell (Miami).

Indictment No. 5, his greatest achievements came while he was cheating.

Verdict: He gone.
You are clueless with an agenda. U and Lobo offer little but ur own personal agenda. Actually sad

Thanks for telling me all I need to know…appreciate all of your coaching wisdom and football insights. I sure hope we never have to settle anything on an actual football field…that would be overwhelming for Knight Nation.
You should focus on the Auburn aka Malhazan shill…he’s here to gaslight you people.

Xavier Williams' 7-on-7 film was pretty impressive, and Grant Heard can talk JRP into playing slot receiver, I will owe Heard an apology.
Lmao. Shill is going all the way back to 7v7…can’t even make it up. What were his offers? Dude was not good enough for Charlotte.

Lmao. Shill is going all the way back to 7v7…can’t even make it up. What were his offers? Dude was not good enough for Charlotte.
big bang theory sarcasm GIF

I hate telling jokes around Miami fans because I have to spend so much time explaining the joke.

Xavier Williams was a backup as a sophomore and junior. His highlight video during his time at Ola HS is 2:08 minutes of game play but 3:06 of 7-on-7 clips. 😭

Last edited:
big bang theory sarcasm GIF

I hate telling jokes around Miami fans because I have to spend so much time explaining the joke.

Xavier Williams was a backup as a sophomore and junior. His highlight video during his time at Ola HS is 2:08 minutes of game play but 3:06 of 7-on-7 clips. 😭

Only a very dumb person would try to tell a joke (dumb) that nobody in the room will understand. Who watches the high school highlights of a player transferring in COLLEGE ? I mean other than you?

You come here and post stupid propaganda about Malzon…nobody that pays attention to college football would believe anything you say. You are truly an embarrassment bro.

I am not sure from what foul smelling dirt you sprouted from but you are failing magnificently as both as comedian and a Malzon shill.

Only a very dumb person would try to tell a joke (dumb) that nobody in the room will understand. Who watches the high school highlights of a player transferring in COLLEGE ? I mean other than you?
No. 1, YOU literally posted a response under the thread where I first wrote about his ncsasports page and 7-on-7 videos.

No. 2, YOU literally posted high school clips of Ajay Allen and I literally asked you to post highlights of his two touchdowns during his time at Nebraska.

No. 1, YOU literally posted a response under the thread where I first wrote about his ncsasports page and 7-on-7 videos.

No. 2, YOU literally posted high school clips of Ajay Allen and I literally asked you to post highlights of his two touchdowns during his time at Nebraska.

I don’t go around searching for high school clips of college players transferring…that’s YOU. And, I sure as heck have NEVER paid any attention to 7v7 highlights.

Malzon has made a mess of the QB room with his mismanagement. That’s an opinion based on facts. The FACT that you are here trying to hype a dude whose best offer out of high school was Charlotte and who threw for 420 yd on 50% passing with 2 TDs and 2 INTs while at Charlotte…that’s you again.

You talk about Malzon transfers and nobody that dude has brough in (two years worth already 2021 and 2022) has been drafted. The bunch he is bringing in for 2023 is the worst yet (ranked 39th with FIFTEEN transfers). The Auburn pipeline dried up on your boy and now he can’t get anyone viable…dude reaching all over the place.

Last edited:
I don’t go around searching for high school clips of college players transferring…that’s YOU. And, I sure as heck have NEVER paid any attention to 7v7 highlights.

Malzon has made a mess of the QB room with his mismanagement. That’s an opinion based on facts. The FACT that you are here trying to hype a dude whose best offer out of high school was Charlotte and who threw for 420 yd on 50% passing with 2 TDs and 2 INTs while at Charlotte…that’s you again.

You talk about Malzon transfers and nobody that dude has brough in (two years worth already 2021 and 2022) has been drafted. The bunch he is bringing in for 2023 is the worst yet (ranked 39th with FIFTEEN transfers). The Auburn pipeline dried up on your boy and now he can’t get anyone viable…dude reaching all over the place.
You do what you do and hijack every thread to spread the same ole BS.

The point of this thread is Malzahn and UCF are going to be VERY SUCCESSFUL in Year 1 of the Big 12, and Malzahn and Jimmy Sexton might leverage Gus's Big 12 title and New Year's Six bowl into a sorry azz SEC program head gig and a fat check for Gus.

Now Year 2 in the new league looks sketchy for Gus and UCF unless Gus transforms Xavier Williams into the Heisman trophey candidate we all know he is capable of being from his 7-on-7 clips.

You need not worry about Wario going anywhere. If he is a candidate for anything, it is to be fired after another losing season. He is still a Top 5 coach.

It has to be EMBARRASSING as h*ll to be sandwiched between "Four Star Hearts" Butch Jones & Troy State coach Neil Brown.

Last edited:
You do what you do and hijack every thread to spread the same ole BS.

The point of this thread is Malzahn and UCF are going to be VERY SUCCESSFUL in Year 1 of the Big 12, and Malzahn and Jimmy Sexton might leverage Gus's Big 12 title and New Year's Six bowl into a sorry azz SEC program head gig and a fat check for Gus.

Now Year 2 in the new league looks sketchy for Gus and UCF unless Gus transforms Xavier Williams into the Heisman trophey candidate we all know he is capable of being from his 7-on-7 clips.

You need not worry about Wario going anywhere. If he is a candidate for anything, it is to be fired after another losing season. He is still a Top 5 coach.

It has to be EMBARRASSING as h*ll to be sandwiched between "Four Star Hearts" Butch Jones & Troy State coach Neil Brown.
You are a Malzon spammer. There’s no interest in your boy from anyone literally. You are supposed to be an Auburn fan but your 247 account has a profile photo of Malzon.

In all sincerity UCF will be better off the sooner Malzon retires or is fired at UCF. The talent in the roster has drastically decreased in the last two years…player development is nonexistent. Your perpetual attempts to gaslight UCF fans would be comical if they were not so pathetic.

Remember when Malzon was play pretending to be a candidate for the USC job and “turning down” a job that would never be offered to him.

Also…what happened to recruiting like his hair is on fire?

Last edited:
I give him a pass moving into the BIG 12 he can actually compete in the state with recruiting. He was ranked and was one win away from a major bowl. Let see what happens moving forward.

It's clear that Gus understands the importance of the transfer portal and it's obvious that keeping his existing players (who contribute) and bringing in the best recruits and transfers possible (with the NIL challenges we face), to play immediately, are his top priorities. Give him credit, he recognized changes were necessary and he's handed over some offensive coaching responsibilities while he stays heads down working to get the program better positioned for our move to the B12 and more competitive in the new world of NIL money. There is little comparison between the environment that Frost and Heupel faced to what Gus is facing now. Gus has basically gotten a pass in his first two years, so this is the first really challenging year for him at UCF and he's put the success of the program in JRP's hands. He and JRP have got to get it done. It's all about winning.....
And another QB is just a "twinged" ham string away from being our starter. And if JRP and the play calling and defense are like they were at the end of last year......it will be a long season. :cool:

Top Five Worst Malzon Losses at UCF.

#5. December 3, 2022 - Tulane 45 - UCF 28. After two years of mismanaging the QB room, there’s no Keene to save the day for Malzon. Tulane trumps UCF to become the AAC champion. Mohajir is seen on TV walking up and down on the UCF sidelines, looking at the floor as if he were regretting something.

#4. September 17, 2021 - Louisville 42 - UCF 35. Malik Cunningham hurt his leg and could hardly move but UCF could not stop his playmaking. Crazy play calling by Malzon at the end of the game results in DG getting hurt. This would be the last game DG would play for UCF and it marks the end of a very successful UCF QB room (Frost - Heupel).

#3. November 13, 2021 - SMU 55 - UCF 28. Malzon had a leg injury and had the idea of coaching from a picnic table on top of a platform. From there he watched as Tanner Mordecai three for 377 yards and 3 TD’s. SMU dropped 55 and Malzon could be seen on TV sipping Gatorade and rearranging sharpies on the kid’s table.

#2. October 3, 2021 - Navy 34 - UCF 30.

Malzon and UCF drop a 13 point fourth quarter lead lead to lose to winless Navy. Enough said.

#1. November 10, 2022 - Navy 17 - UCF 14.

20th ranked UCF was leading the AAC race and had a chance to host the conference championship game. BUT it faced a home game with 3-7 Navy. The result was a disaster. Navy beat UCF without completing a pass.

Top Five Worst Malzon Losses at UCF.

#5. December 3, 2022 - Tulane 45 - UCF 28. After two years of mismanaging the QB room, there’s no Keene to save the day for Malzon. Tulane trumps UCF to become the AAC champion. Mohajir is seen on TV walking up and down on the UCF sidelines, looking at the floor as if he were regretting something.

#4. September 17, 2021 - Louisville 42 - UCF 35. Malik Cunningham hurt his leg and could hardly move but UCF could not stop his playmaking. Crazy play calling by Malzon at the end of the game results in DG getting hurt. This would be the last game DG would play for UCF and it marks the end of a very successful UCF QB room (Frost - Heupel).

#3. November 13, 2021 - SMU 55 - UCF 28. Malzon had a leg injury and had the idea of coaching from a picnic table on top of a platform. From there he watched as Tanner Mordecai three for 377 yards and 3 TD’s. SMU dropped 55 and Malzon could be seen on TV sipping Gatorade and rearranging sharpies on the kid’s table.

#2. October 3, 2021 - Navy 34 - UCF 30.

Malzon and UCF drop a 13 point fourth quarter lead lead to lose to winless Navy. Enough said.

#1. November 10, 2022 - Navy 17 - UCF 14.

20th ranked UCF was leading the AAC race and had a chance to host the conference championship game. BUT it faced a home game with 3-7 Navy. The result was a disaster. Navy beat UCF without completing a pass.
MTSU beat Miami 45-31 at Hard-Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla., on Saturday, triggering one of the marquee upsets by a Group of Five team this season — and a signature win for veteran coach Rick Stockstill.

MTSU, which had been 0-23 against top-25 opponents, received $1.5 million to play the game, according to a copy of the game contract obtained by the USA TODAY Sports Network. As part of the deal, Miami also paid the Blue Raiders program $40,000 in travel expenses.

The biggest accomplishment Gus has had at UCF is beating Florida and that's only important to UCF fans. No one other that UCF and UF fans care that Gus beat Florida. I'd say it's quite insignificant to the real Power schools of the SEC/Big 10.

Other than beating UF he hasn't done anything impressive, He's had two winning seasons at UCF and excited the fanbase by landing more 4 Star recruits than ever at UCF. I think most fans are just excited at the 4 star players he's brought in and our potential.

In order to even get a sniff from an SEC or Big 10 power he'll need to win the Big 12 or make it to the playoffs. All of O'Leary, Scott and Heupel have exceeded anything Gus has done at UCF...and it's not even close. He has a lot to prove by winning big before he's packing his bags to leave UCF for greener pastures.

Last edited:
The biggest accomplishment Gus has had at UCF is beating Florida. Other than that he's had two winning seasons at UCF and excited the fanbase by landing more 4 Star recruits than ever at UCF.

I order to even get a sniff from an SEC or Big 10 power he'll need to win the Big 12 or make it to the playoffs. All of O'Leary, Scott and Heupel have exceeded anything Gus has done at UCF...and it's not even close. He has a lot to prove by winning big before he's packing his bags to leave UCF for greener pastures.
Dude beat nobody. That team had fired all the coaches…the RB coach stayed on to coach that ball game.

Dude beat nobody. That team had fired all the coaches…the RB coach stayed on to coach that ball game.
Miami’s best win is UCFs 5th best win. It’s literally the same team. UCF beat a top 10 team ranked higher than anyone on Miamis schedule. Miami played 3 ranked teams and lost by a combined 127-29.

Reactions: U C to the F
Miami’s best win is UCFs 5th best win. It’s literally the same team. UCF beat a top 10 team ranked higher than anyone on Miamis schedule. Miami played 3 ranked teams and lost by a combined 127-29.
And? LOL. Mario is building the Miami football program the right way. We are bringing in the #8 overall class after going 5-7. 38 scholarship players with an average player ranking of 91.22.

The roster for 2023 will be completely different and TVD is healthy…he got hurt during the TAMU game, missed games and was never healthy the entire year. Miami is trending way up.

Meanwhile, UCF is bringing close to 20 mid transfers. Hinshaw who has never called plays as OC…dude is just a Malzon sock puppet. Addison Williams as DC…dude has zero experience as a DC at any level.

Go back to the Dungeon, hold hands with your buddies and tell each other comforting lies.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
And? LOL. Mario is building the Miami football program the right way. We are bringing in the #8 overall class after going 5-7. 38 scholarship players with an average player ranking of 91.22.

The roster for 2023 will be completely different and TVD is healthy…he got hurt during the TAMU game, missed games and was never healthy the entire year. Miami is trending way up.

Meanwhile, UCF is bringing close to 20 mid transfers. Hinshaw who has never called plays as OC…dude is just a Malzon sock puppet. Addison Williams as DC…dude has zero experience as a DC at any level.

Go back to the Dungeon, hold hands with your buddies and tell each other comforting lies.
You Miami fans are right on time with this same bullshit every single year 🤣

Guy is blatantly ignoring years (decades even) of results and insisting you adhere to a live and very subjective 247 rating like it means something. He also ignores Mario’s inept coaching history, fired from his last Miami FBS HC position after failing miserably. He then goes 5-7 in his next Miami HC job with “top recruits” this time…so is he just a terrible HC or are his players 💩?

The biggest accomplishment Gus has had at UCF is beating Florida and that's only important to UCF fans. No one other that UCF and UF fans care that Gus beat Florida. I'd say it's quite insignificant to the real Power schools of the SEC/Big 10.

Other than beating UF he hasn't done anything impressive,
I would argue that Gus's win over Cincinnati was pretty darn significant. Entering the 2022 season, the Bearcats only losses were to Ohio State, Georgia, Alabama, and Memphis over the three prior seasons. Cincinnati was coming off a CFB playoff appearance.
In order to even get a sniff from an SEC or Big 10 power he'll need to win the Big 12 or make it to the playoffs. All of O'Leary, Scott and Heupel have exceeded anything Gus has done at UCF...and it's not even close. He has a lot to prove by winning big before he's packing his bags to leave UCF for greener pastures.
The AAC quality of competition O'Leary, Frost, and Heupel faced paled in comparison to the quality of AAC competition Gus faced. East Carolina was a tough out in the first real road test in a hostile environment at night, and it was difficult for Gus to motivate the troops for an 11 am kickoff against Navy AFTER knocking off nationally ranked Cincinnati and Tulane.

Most overrated team
UCF: I love Gus Malzahn, and I love what George O'Leary, Scott Frost and Josh Heupel did before him -- with the program. But the AAC has gotten deeper. UCF doesn't have the soldiers to keep up this season (get back to me when the Knights go to the Big 12), while Cincinnati and Houston are simply too good. -- Dennis Dodd (also Shehan Jeyarajah, Jerry Palm)"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT