ADVERTISEMENT

Toxic Masulinity

Just curious why there can't be debates without constant name calling?

Because what happens in here isn't debate. You actually have to listen to the other person for it to be a debate.

I'd love to know a time 85 has ever admitted he was wrong or misspoke.

Because what happens in here isn't debate. You actually have to listen to the other person for it to be a debate.

I'd love to know a time 85 has ever admitted he was wrong or misspoke.

I have and do all the time. It's not my fault if you're incapable or unwilling to read it or log it for future memory. For God's sakes, I went on record about 200 times saying that I was dead wrong about asserting that Trump had 0% chance of winning in 2016, which is something I posted for the entire election.

So really, your first sentence is highly ironic since you don't listen to me. You often just pick the bits from a post of mine that you have issues with and respond.

I have and do all the time. It's not my fault if you're incapable or unwilling to read it or log it for future memory. For God's sakes, I went on record about 200 times saying that I was dead wrong about asserting that Trump had 0% chance of winning in 2016, which is something I posted for the entire election.

So really, your first sentence is highly ironic since you don't listen to me. You often just pick the bits from a post of mine that you have issues with and respond.

You're hilarious.

There are scores and scores of ads that follow the message of "be nice to other girls" and touch on female on female bullying at younger ages.

There's a whole damn movie called "Mean Girls" that revolves around this very theme.

You dumb.
I think we can all agree that the advertising industry is one step beyond even Hollywood hypocrisy here, on all sides. But Gillette has succeeded in getting us all to talk about it, even if they helped 'father' the toxicity in the first place.

This is why I pay no attention to the US media, let alone advertising. They 'start sh--' and 'keep it going' and then turn around and blame others for what they did. The only way to 'win' is to not care about them in the first place.

I think we can all agree that the advertising industry is one step beyond even Hollywood hypocrisy here, on all sides. But Gillette has succeeded in getting us all to talk about it, even if they helped 'father' the toxicity in the first place.

This is why I pay no attention to the US media, let alone advertising. They 'start sh--' and 'keep it going' and then turn around and blame others for what they did. The only way to 'win' is to not care about them in the first place.

Advertising is universal and has nothing to do with the US media. It’s existed since humans have started exchanging goods and services. It’s baked into human nature.

It’s impossible to avoid advertising - unless you lived completely off the grid.

Reactions: Crazyhole
LOL. You nailed it, Chemmie. All of our offended macho posters need to grow a pair. :)

They actually believe the message of this ad is "negativity and pushing the narrative all males are pieces of crap."

The actual message is: Don't be a dickhead.

Dickheads get real offended when it is suggested.

Reactions: Crazyhole
They actually believe the message of this ad is "negativity and pushing the narrative all males are pieces of crap."

You advising others to not be a dickhead is perhaps the most irony rich post in the history of the Water Cooler.

Reactions: UCFWayne

Humm...which people here toss around insults? Why isn't there similar commercials for the other 30 genders?

You're hilarious.

So basically, I pegged it exactly and this is all you have to offer. Ok then.

BTW- interesting you again tried to insist that "civility" is a reason for no one really talking here, yet you again completely bypass having any commentary for the certain leftie posters here, who in the past few days, have totally upped the ante with their personal insults, to include "inbred", "fuking piece of shit", "retard", etc

If only your call for civility ever extended to anyone on your side of the political spectrum.

Humm...which people here toss around insults? Why isn't there similar commercials for the other 30 genders?
Progressives only like stereotypes and insults hurled one way, and think everyone else should agree with their viewpoint.

Even Liberals are pointing out the folly of Progressives using stereotypes and hurling assumption-based insults-by-default. They create Trump voters, giving them plenty of fodder.

chemmie literally unleashes bigoted, hate driven posts that spell out his contempt for white Christians, or males, or those who disagree with him, then has the audacity to insist that OTHERS are the ones being dickheads.

Maybe he should take the message of his favorite commercial to heart?

You advising others to not be a dickhead is perhaps the most irony rich post in the history of the Water Cooler.

This is the problem with snowflakes like you. You don't understand that insulting a dickhead doesn't make you a dickhead. Dickheads deserve to be insulted, because they are dickheads.
Here's the flow:

1. You, 85, are a very large dickhead. You have shown this many, many, many, times. It is a known fact, and can be proven as fact with evidence.
2. I call you a dickhead, pointing out the obvious fact.
3. You believe this makes me a dickhead, but you are wrong. This simply makes me somebody who speaks in facts.

Progressives only like stereotypes and insults hurled one way.

LOL. Conservatives whine about “all this damn PC sh*t” until they feel like it’s directed at THEM! Then it’s a whole different story. Hell, the commercial basically says men need to behave yet some here act like masculinity itself has been threatened. :)

This is the problem with snowflakes like you. You don't understand that insulting a dickhead doesn't make you a dickhead. Dickheads deserve to be insulted, because they are dickheads.
Here's the flow:

1. You, 85, are a very large dickhead. You have shown this many, many, many, times. It is a known fact, and can be proven as fact with evidence.
2. I call you a dickhead, pointing out the obvious fact.
3. You believe this makes me a dickhead, but you are wrong. This simply makes me somebody who speaks in facts.

Tell me something- which dickhead was such a raging dickhead that they were banned by a moderator that bans no one, ever?

This isnt fair. Individuals have different opinions and their opinion may make us uncomfortable but saying that a person who sees something differently makes them a dickhead isnt right. I don't think the ad is particularly effective i still dont think its terribly provocative. Its a good message but is it necessary or effective?

the message is fine. the overall delivery falls short because of their over the top portrayal that all guys are bad. im not going to boycott gilllette because of this add even if i used their products in the first place.

I don't think the ad is particularly effective i still dont think its terribly provocative.
Exactly! It’s a message about being a man and doing the right thing. Anyone offended by it apparently believes doing the wrong things is Inherently a male thing.

Individuals have different opinions and their opinion may make us uncomfortable but saying that a person who sees something differently makes them a dickhead isnt right.
It is if the person who sees things different from me goes by the name of Crazyhole. :)

Reactions: chemmie
This isnt fair. Individuals have different opinions and their opinion may make us uncomfortable but saying that a person who sees something differently makes them a dickhead isnt right. I don't think the ad is particularly effective i still dont think its terribly provocative. Its a good message but is it necessary or effective?

Exactly. It's worthless virtue signaling.

The idea that men need a corporate commercial to understand that "doing the right thing" is good is pathetic in itself.

I like the part in the commercial where the guy is leaning on a building and an attractive girl walks by. He goes to talk to her and his friend stops him and says, "not cool, man. Not cool." The hell is that? Is his friend a rapist or did he just see an attractive woman and want to talk to her?

Or the dad that breaks up two kids fighting while the narrator says "some[men doing something] is not enough." Every dad on earth would break up two little kids fighting at a backyard picnic (with like 50 grills).

The commercial stereotypes and carries a strong accusational tone against men. The fact that it says that "some men...", implies that most men are with bullying, sexual assault and even telling a girl to smile.

It is a poorly written commercial. It could have been framed in a way that is positive in it's characterization of men, but it isn't. It's badly thought out pedantic bullshit.

Exactly. It's worthless virtue signaling.

The idea that men need a corporate commercial to understand that "doing the right thing" is good is pathetic in itself.

Yea, they should have a priest and a little book to tell them that.

AmIRight?!!!???!?!?!

the message is fine. the overall delivery falls short because of their over the top portrayal that all guys are bad. im not going to boycott gilllette because of this add even if i used their products in the first place.

Can you point out the part that says all guys are bad?

It doesn't portray that all guys are bad, that is just how you choose to take it. It does portray that men who do certain unwanted actions towards women are bad.

I honestly can’t believe people are upset at this commercial.

I honestly can’t believe people are upset at this commercial.

I honestly can’t believe people voted a man for President who was a known adulter and who has publicly bragged about grabbing women by the crotch either. But they’re certainly out there.

it clearly gives off the impression that most men are bad and look the other way for ones that are.

again good message, very poor delivery.

No. It doesn’t. It says the bad behaviors that some men (probably more than you think) partake in are bad and we should all strive to be better.

How about this: True or False. Over the past 50 years, men, at a much higher rate than women have partaken or gotten away with toxic and bad behavior.

No. It doesn’t. It says the bad behaviors that some men (probably more than you think) partake in are bad and we should all strive to be better.

How about this: True or False. Over the past 50 years, men, at a much higher rate than women have partaken or gotten away with toxic and bad behavior.
that is your take, but i think most people would agree with me that it was over the top, thus ineffective.

im not going to argue with you on that. over the last 50 years our society has become more accepting and our society has put increasing pressure on doing the right thing. this is not bad. but i dont think we need a commercial to know that raping someone is bad, i think we already knew that.

Casey Anthony had pretty bad behavior, but I'm not going to start a commercial telling women to not kill their kids.

That is also unmeasurable who has worse behavior too. Stereotyping at the very least.

that is your take, but i think most people would agree with me that it was over the top, thus ineffective.

im not going to argue with you on that. over the last 50 years our society has become more accepting and our society has put increasing pressure on doing the right thing. this is not bad. but i dont think we need a commercial to know that raping someone is bad, i think we already knew that.

To your first part, I think most people do NOT agree with you. Do you know how many focus groups this probably went through? I've seen much more positive sentiment towards the commercial than bad.

To your second point, yes everyone knows rape is bad - but it's ALWAYS been bad - and until pretty dang recently, it was brushed under the table...actually, it's STILL brushed under the table in a fair amount of cases.

I think you're highly out of touch in what actually goes on in society.

Casey Anthony had pretty bad behavior, but I'm not going to start a commercial telling women to not kill their kids.

That is also unmeasurable who has worse behavior too. Stereotyping at the very least.

You basically just "Hitlered" the argument.

Men, at a much higher rate than women, have these bad behaviors. That's due to society telling them it's okay and people turning a blind eye. Sorry - facts are facts America.

Beer companies running ads to challenge men to stop fat shaming women are next. ;)

Reactions: UCFWayne
To your first part, I think most people do NOT agree with you. Do you know how many focus groups this probably went through? I've seen much more positive sentiment towards the commercial than bad.

To your second point, yes everyone knows rape is bad - but it's ALWAYS been bad - and until pretty dang recently, it was brushed under the table...actually, it's STILL brushed under the table in a fair amount of cases.

I think you're highly out of touch in what actually goes on in society.
this commercial has 11m views with 287k likes vs 679k dislikes. by all means stick to your claim that 287k is larger than 679k. i think you might be out of touch in what actually goes on in society.

most men know right from wrong. we dont need virtue signaling tv adds to tell us these things.

You basically just "Hitlered" the argument.

Men, at a much higher rate than women, have these bad behaviors. That's due to society telling them it's okay and people turning a blind eye. Sorry - facts are facts America.

It's stereotyping males. You know full well this commercial wouldn't fly if it was some negative stereotype of gays, women, or go down the list.

I mean what commercials are directed at Muslim men if you really needed to address major gender issues.

Holy shit you guys will complain about anything. I hadn't seen this thread before someone asked me earlier today what I thought of the ad. I said, "I like it. And I like that it's completely non-controversial." Boy, was I wrong! Then again, this is the same crowd that launches into personal insults when discussing which place has the best chicken wings, so I guess it's par for the course.

this commercial has 11m views with 287k likes vs 679k dislikes. by all means stick to your claim that 287k is larger than 679k. i think you might be out of touch in what actually goes on in society.

most men know right from wrong. we dont need virtue signaling tv adds to tell us these things.

The whole point of advertising is trying to tell you to do/buy things you may or may not need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT